How bad have our injuries really been this season?

Yeah, something must be seriously wrong at he club for this to keep happening.

Not only that, I'm sure I read Yoro was carrying a knock before the game

Apparently so. Which is negligent at best if true to then play him, why risk it?
I'm not sure about carrying a knock but the manager said he'd only taken part in half the sessions as they managed his workload. They've been doing the same with Maguire.

Also he rolled his ankle, which is just unlucky and not really related to carrying an injury

Professional footballers more often than not are carrieing knocks. If it was the ankle (Yoro) or hamstring (Hojlund) that was aggrivated, ok. But in the end its more down to bad luck than anything else. Just hope its not too bad and get from Eths back.

When I woke up and realised United played in the night, my first thought was who got injured rather than the score line

I don’t know who is to blame but they seem to have picked up hugely since ETH came

I did think the same, too. Expected more injuries than goals, which is what happened.

I don't accept the 'bad luck' line. This is down to our training regime and preparation.

I'm watching it now the Arsenal game, first the pitch is rubbish, second Arsenal are kicking everything in in Blue shirt.. offside goal..

Injuries ffs don't play on that surface.. joking grass Rock hard or sticky when watered..

Let's hope it's just a week off .. or 2 at most..

Is that right? Unbelievable if it is.

Anyways, EtH and his defenders can start getting in their excuses for why this season will be so disappointing even earlier this year, technically before its even started.
Out of interest why would you add the second paragraph. If the question you asked in the first para is true, the long criticised medical department surely are who you’d blame?

We all remember the treble season, right?
Lets break this down.
During the 1998/1999 season we effectively had a squad of what, 16 players?

We had 38 matches in the league, it was won on last day.
We had 8 FA Cup matches.
We had 13 Champions League matches, including 2 in the qualifiers.
We had 3 League Cup matches.
And we had 1 Community Shield match.

That’s 63 competitive matches for a tiny squad in today’s terms, excluding international matches.

Now, I’m not a medical or a fitness expert of any sort, so I’m basically asking questions on why our players are dropping like flies?
This is not about luck, its happening too often to be brushed off as bad luck.

Is the training regiment too intense?
Are the pitches at Carrington poor?
Maybe footballers were actually much fitter when they were eating burgers and having after training pints?
Like, what is going on? Because footballers are significantly more protected than they were in the 90’s, and the pitches are definitely better.

Why don’t City players are getting injured and if Pep has a magic doctor then why don’t we?

Its literally impossible to build any sort of momentum and team cohesion when players are dropping left and right.

Out of interest why would you add the second paragraph. If the question you asked in the first para is true, the long criticised medical department surely are who you’d blame?
Would it be the medical department who decided whether to play them?

Our injury crises go all the way back to Fergie, the club is cursed

And yet under Fergie we won an unprecedented amount of trophies.
Injuries are fine as long as you manage them.
ETH is unable to manager player injuries and when he loses, he blames injuries....which he is not managing.

And yet under Fergie we won an unprecedented amount of trophies.
Injuries are fine as long as you manage them.
ETH is unable to manager player injuries and when he loses, he blames injuries....which he is not managing.
I bet you blame Erik for coffee not being hot enough when you order it at a local coffee shop

Is that right? Unbelievable if it is.

Anyways, EtH and his defenders can start getting in their excuses for why this season will be so disappointing even earlier this year, technically before its even started.
Yeh a few YouTubers mentioned they missed parts of training due to injury concerns, so they obviously ended up taking the risk anyway. Stupid.

I did think the same, too. Expected more injuries than goals, which is what happened.

I don't accept the 'bad luck' line. This is down to our training regime and preparation.

100% there's a correlation.

There's clearly something in the regime that is aggravating the players fitness, I believe it was reported that most of the injuries last season were muscle's with strains and contusions, so the club should be looking at rest and recovery.

People think it would be solved by "replacing a physio", but we all saw our suicide football last season and yeah, as you said, the manager who rushes back players from injury and plays this suicide football is still there.
Agreed on both of these points. The way we played definitely contributed to the injuries because the way the manager set us up last season was placing stupid demands on our players. Same reason why there were huge gaps in the middle of the pitch every game.

There were definitely a few instances of players being rushed back, but the Luke Shaw one angered me more than any. An injury prone player recovering from an injury having to come off after a half of football against Aston Villa, only to be thrown straight back in as a starter for the next game against Luton. That wasn't only negligent but completely idiotic. That ended Shaw's season and meant we didn't have a LB for the remaining 3 months of the season.

I’m just tired of how we seem to keep on repeating the same mistakes over and over again, and never ever seem to learn. Even with the Glazers now no longer in charge of the footballing side, we’re still going nowhere. Our manager is very stubborn and will be own downfall. God help us if we appoint Southgate. The thing is, there weren’t any managers out there who would have done better, or at least any realistic options.

I don't think it is luck. Muscle injuries are more than that.
It is fitness issue or training issue.
We have been peddling the luck thing for too long. You make your own luck.

We have been guilty of overplaying players, rushing them back from injury and asking them to play when they were carrying knocks that we were aware of. At least none of these three factors can be disputed. Training intensity is something we don’t really know much about as this will be privy to those inside the club.

We have been peddling the luck thing for too long. You make your own luck.

We have been guilty of overplaying players, rushing them back from injury and asking them to play when they were carrying knocks that we were aware of. At least none of these three factors can be disputed. Training intensity is something we don’t really know much about as this will be privy to those inside the club.

To be fair, all three of those factors are inevitable at any football club playing as many games as we do in a season. Which gets compounded when players are out for a long time. When the likes of Diallo, Mainoo, Martinez and Malacia missed almost half a season from a single injury then that creates more pressure on other players to overplay, rush back or play with niggles.

We need best in class in medical and fitness department too. This can't go on forever. 2 key players got injured playing preseason games, FFS.

I swear feel like we have injury crisis every damn year!

Something seriously wrong with the training. It has to be the cause.
I don't think so. City's style of play is of much higher intensity than us. Their players can run all day pressing high and low every game for entire season. I know City has very good squad depth but their injury record is also much better than us.

There are doing something right there and we need to learn from the best. Maybe the answer is better rotation and also a world class medical, fitness, nutrition department?

Well someone somewhere in the setup seems to have made the wrong call
I dont think its that straightforward. There will be some sort of Information of course from the medical department but there will also be the subjective feeling of the player to be considered. Then you will have to think about bringing everyone to match fitness in pre season. Naturally the players are not in their best shape at the start of the season, so the propability of getting injured will be higher for all the players at the start of the season. In the end its also about luck as there are several ways of getting injured and some of them have nothing to do with the fitness of the player. In the end eth is responsible as he is the Head Coach but i think its not that easy to say that the decision itself was wrong ex ante.

Pre-season training and tournament training are obviously different things with the former being way now focused on fitness and physical training. Maybe we have overdone it with Højlund, maybe it's rotten luck. At least we have another striker in Zirkzee this season.
Zirkzee i hope will be a great addition but I don’t see him bagging as many goals as Rasmus. We need Rashford to really step again this season.

It’s hard to explain this without it seeming like I’m bitching about an anti-United agenda. I’m not trying to:

But it struck me last season that when Newcastle and Spurs underperformed, the commentary and media would always point out “but Maddison got injured remember” or “Newcastle are really suffering with injuries, this must be hard for them” - the level of injuries and key injuries they had were just everyday shit for United.

Oh and also Yoro is in crutches with a protective boot so he’s probably fecked

Are we not going to talk about the medical leading personnel came from Arsenal?

Are we sure this is not sabotage from Gunner agents??
Medical department deals with injuries and giving green or red light for playing after injuries. Our issue are fitness coaches i think.

Medical department deals with injuries and giving green or red light for playing after injuries. Our issue are fitness coaches i think.
I agree. Very often it is a muscular injury without impact, so it is either overtraining or wrong fitness training

We seem to be cursed with injuries. It's been like this for years.

It's getting to the point where I'm wondering if we will start getting injured ourselves just by posting on the Cafe.

All teams have injuries, it isn’t just some global conspiracy to keep United down.

I mean Arsenal paid good money for Timber who made two appearances and then did his ACL, sometimes these things just happen.