Harry Maguire: I shouldn't really need to prove myself at this level. I've made over 50 caps, I'm England's top-scoring defender

You have to prove yourself every single day, unfortunately. I get the sentiment but he is wrong.

International breaks...
Rubbish football instead of the premier league. Dropped, fringe and egotistical players crying to the media. Love to see less of them over cramming in the good football to accommodate them.

Hes a very good centre back just not a great one. What he is saying his correct, maybe if man utd paid £50 million he wouldn’t have this scrutiny, he can’t help what some idiots at our club paid for him.

If you start handing out caps as a reward for temporary club form, there's no chance of an international side building any kind of consistency. Maguire earned his call up and he's been part of a very solid England defence ever since.

The very top clubs are just better than England. Just because someone isn't good enough for Man United doesn't mean they're not good enough for England. Harry Maguire didn't become a worse player than Tyrone Mings or Eric Dier just because Man United signed Varane and Martinez.
I wasn’t referring to temporary form, I mean week in week out as in constant. But I don’t think a national team should be run like a regular club, choosing a winning team and sticking to them as long as possible. They are dependant upon clubs and their players.

Imo, it’s disrespectful to choose a frequent substitute of one club over a frequent starter and performer of a (usually) smaller club. Consistency is a good excuse for not taking risks. How are we supposed to know if other CBs wouldn’t perform as good as or even better than Maguire if this manager will never give them a chance as long as Maguire is still alive and available?

Again, for me international football is about more than results. It’s about rewarding constantly good club performances over an extended period of time. An international manager should figure out how to get the best out of those players that stand out on the pitch - week in, week out. They deserve to be called up imo, not the players that fit best into the managers system.

That’s why you should have international managers that are capable of playing many ways depending on the players available and deserving. Southgate has one approach. To keep his job he needs to hold onto it as tightly as possible.

I know, many of you will disagree, but this is one of the reasons I don’t care about international football anymore. I don’t want to watch matches based upon [insert your nation’s manager here]’s tactical preference. I want to see players that are out there week-in-week out, fighting for points, fighting for their club, giving their all. Even if it ends up unbalanced and in tears. I enjoyed 1982-1996 way more than anything from the past 20 years.

I wasn’t referring to temporary form, I mean week in week out as in constant. But I don’t think a national team should be run like a regular club, choosing a winning team and sticking to them as long as possible. They are dependant upon clubs and their players.

Imo, it’s disrespectful to choose a frequent substitute of one club over a frequent starter and performer of a (usually) smaller club. Consistency is a good excuse for not taking risks. How are we supposed to know if other CBs wouldn’t perform as good as or even better than Maguire if this manager will never give them a chance as long as Maguire is still alive and available?

Again, for me international football is about more than results. It’s about rewarding constantly good club performances over an extended period of time. An international manager should figure out how to get the best out of those players that stand out on the pitch - week in, week out. They deserve to be called up imo, not the players that fit best into the managers system.

That’s why you should have international managers that are capable of playing many ways depending on the players available and deserving. Southgate has one approach. To keep his job he needs to hold onto it as tightly as possible.

I know, many of you will disagree, but this is one of the reasons I don’t care about international football anymore. I don’t want to watch matches based upon [insert your nation’s manager here]’s tactical preference. I want to see players that are out there week-in-week out, fighting for points, fighting for their club, giving their all. Even if it ends up unbalanced and in tears. I enjoyed 1982-1996 way more than anything from the past 20 years.
In my opinion the only "disrespectful" thing would be the England manager deliberately compromising his team or not doing it to the best of his ability. That would be disrespectful to the fans and his employers. Picking a player because he has done well for you and you genuinely believe he's one of the 4-5 best CBs in the country is not disrespectful, I don't think respect comes into it, it's a footballing opinion.

I also don't think international football is about rewarding club players. You don't get a medal at the end of it for dishing out caps. It's purely about have you progressed the side and have you won anything. That's it really, that's the only way Southgate will be judged. Has he got any silverware and is he leaving the squad in a better place for the next manager than he received it himself (which is partly due to luck and player pool, admittedly)

Cannot wait to see the back of this guy and his fanboys.

What a prat, for someone who claims he has nothing to prove he likes to give it the big one and make excuses every international break.

Good on him sticking up for himself after the outrageous abuse he’s received. He’s always been excellent for England, was good for Leicester and had a couple of decent seasons for us.
Wasn’t far off winning the European Championships and Europa League being one of the main men.
Good on ETH though for having the balls to swap him out for better defenders that fit his system.

Southgate managing to have England to play ultra defensive the entire game after scoring first and then bringing on 3 super young players with barely any minutes in their legs the whole tournament to take penalties contributed a lot to that loss. Then he was injured for the Europa League final, where Lindelof, who lots of people say he's 'much better and more composed than Maguire' made a mare of another aerial defensive incident, which lead us conceding the first goal of the game. This is also Lindelof, who whilst being one of the most senior players at the club took the last penalty before De Gea's miss and even after Tuanzebe who came on the last 5 mins.

Both times Maguire was quite instrumental to those tournaments and was having good seasons leading up to them but ended with failure outside of his circumstances.

Maguire has deserved a lot of criticism for his performances and his leadership but the way he has been memed is disgraceful. Old Trafford getting on his back in the Fulham game because he wasn't moving the ball at lighting speed is just another example of confirmation bias. Has he been slow with the ball? Absolutely and if people are expressing their frustration it's fair but when people have made their minds up even before an incident happens or are waiting for it, it's just destructive criticism. Opposition fans okay whatever but your own?

He should be rightfully moved in the summer and we should criticise his overall performance against his transfer but some people's disdain for him is bewildering.

What's the guy supposed to say? Yeah, I know I'm not good enough to play for a top club? United were right to drop me? My true talent level puts me at a mid-table club? I know I'm slow and I make blunders all the time?

What's the guy supposed to say? Yeah, I know I'm not good enough to play for a top club? United were right to drop me? My true talent level puts me at a mid-table club? I know I'm slow and I make blunders all the time?
"I'm not playing much now but it's about putting the graft in and getting back into the team. At United you need to be at your very best to play" or something like that would be fine

"I've got the turning circle of an Eddie Stobbart and a 50p head."

That’s the problem which I just mentioned.

Bad performances don’t excuse this culture of over the top ridicule and abuse. It’s sad and pathetic behaviour really.
Look when he keeps coming out with Alan Partridge quotes, gets his family to DM journalists and keeps serving up shit on a stick performances, the internet will be harsh.

Here's an idea.

Nothing.

His attitude is more defensive than his footballing abilities.

Say nothing. Let your performance speak for yourself. Once you establish yourself then speak in retrospect what was it like, etc.

Regardless of whether his comments relate to his England call ups or not, we all know why he gets a lot of stick. And that is because he’s the captain of Manchester United and has been absolutely fecking woeful for 2 years now.

Yes he didn’t set his ridiculous price tag and so cannot be blamed for that. However he will have been asked by Ole if he wanted to be captain of the club, and he gladly accepted this honour, and he’s done nothing since to warrant him accepting that responsibility. He doesn’t deserve the wage his badly negotiated contract gave him and he certainly doesn’t deserve the captaincy which Ole stupidly gave him. He’s had a few seasons to prove us wrong and all he does is prove time and time again through his performances - in spades - that he does not deserve either the wage and certainly not the captaincy. Yet he gladly accepted both.

The best thing he can do now is to just keep quiet and put his head down until we inevitably ship him out in the summer. ETH, as we all know, recognised immediately that he was the weakest link and that’s why he was benched early doors. He plays him now out of necessity in games where we need to rotate and as a nod of respect to the fact he, incredibly and unbelievably, is the captain. But we all know that Erik will be getting rid in the summer. Yes we will take a hit but he will go for £50m+ and hopefully we use that to buy another short arse Dutch centre half who turns out to be mint, just to boil the piss of Souness.

So shut up Harry and knuckle down and let’s get a decent price for you in the summer. Your time here in Mcr is well and truly done.

Of course you're not going to put yourself down in an interview but saying you have nothing to prove when your career is going downhill, you only get brought in in the 89th minute because your own manager hardly trusts you in his back 4 and then pointing to your milestones as if that truly means something is.. something. Yes you've played 200 games for United, but what/how you've done overall in those 200 games are the reason you're on the bench and barely playing. Its okay to be confident but claiming you don't have anything to prove after all of that, as a captain(!), is insane to me.

All he needs now is another Andorra moment to prove his point. The feckwit.

When prime Tyson was asked if he could take prime Mohammed Ali down he backed off and said that there's no chance of him ever beating the man. That might be true or it might be false but I liked how he tackled it from a PR stand point. The reason being that there's no way in hell that such claims could be backed up either way. If he said that he'd beat him then the Ali fans would slaughter him and he'll sound cocky. However by showing a certain humility and reverence towards his elder he earned the Ali fans respect and in turn Ali had to come out and say that Tyson was a great boxer and that he's underestimating himself thus earning praise from the legend himself.

Maguire is in a similar situation. He never won anything as a regular first team player and he is not playing regular football with United which means that his 'nothing to prove' comments makes him sound cocky. He should have been humble enough to say that he would love to play regular football, that he's given his 100 % on the training ground, that he's always available for the team if they ever need him but what truly matters is not him but that United do well.

Hope Maguire moves on in the summer to a club where the playing style matches his attributes, I hope he does well for the rest of his career, think he is a decent guy who always tries. But for Utd under ETH he is just not capable, for me 5th choice CB and only then because I have run out of other players, he is a train wreck, too slow to pass, to ponderous overall, given that De Gea is also fairly useless in possession it is a bad combo, put him in a team with a better ball playing GK and/or a team that doesn't try to play out from the back whilst under a high press and he will look decent again

“being dropped from the starting line up at manchester has afforded me time to work on becoming a full time grime artiste. working on such classics as ‘that’s me.’

whatchu you mean, whatchu you mean?
front to the back, left to the right, wagwan?
backline woes, yeah igot some of those
easy work, let's go
i go in!
nah, that's not me
act like a wasteman? yeah that’s me
sex any girl? nah that's not me
lips any girl? nah that's not me
yeah, i used to wear gucci
gassed by pukki, cause that’s me
true, i used to look like you
but defending like a mess? yeah, that's me.”

Most players will want to prove they belong to this level, regardless of if they are playing or not.

Him saying we haven't lost when we played and what not just shows why he was never going to succeed here, he does not have the mentality.

Definitely not that he doesn't need to continuously prove himself at the top level

Good interview.

I like him.

The amount of stick he gets is undeserved.
What did people say about him that was underserved? since he was signed for 80 million back to back managers have seek to acquire additional CBs to replace him. he is definaltely one of England's best CB and does a solid job for them but his flaws have been exposed for United on many occasions

I'm sure a lot of you have seen the gangster's paradise videos of him all over social media. I don't normally find such things funny but in this case they are quite hilarious and goofy. How the song became so heavily associated with him is a mystery in itself.

“being dropped from the starting line up at manchester has afforded me time to work on becoming a full time grime artiste. working on such classics as ‘that’s me.’

easy work, let's go
i go in!
nah, that's not me
:drool:

Would love to hear Harry have a go at that!

easy work, let's go
i go in!
nah, that's not me
:lol:

When prime Tyson was asked if he could take prime Mohammed Ali down he backed off and said that there's no chance of him ever beating the man. That might be true or it might be false but I liked how he tackled it from a PR stand point. The reason being that there's no way in hell that such claims could be backed up either way. If he said that he'd beat him then the Ali fans would slaughter him and he'll sound cocky. However by showing a certain humility and reverence towards his elder he earned the Ali fans respect and in turn Ali had to come out and say that Tyson was a great boxer and that he's underestimating himself thus earning praise from the legend himself.

Maguire is in a similar situation. He never won anything as a regular first team player and he is not playing regular football with United which means that his 'nothing to prove' comments makes him sound cocky. He should have been humble enough to say that he would love to play regular football, that he's given his 100 % on the training ground, that he's always available for the team if they ever need him but what truly matters is not him but that United do well.

The famously level-headed, humble and example-setting Mike Tyson.

"When I retire I'll be able to hold my head up high knowing that I was the slabbiest-faced defender in English history."

Let's be honest here, we overpaid for every single player under Woodward. And it's more often than not the players became worse after joining us. It's not the players fault we have incompetent board and football people in the club.

We can acknowledge that Maguire is another costly mistake but he has given his all for the club. We should part way in the summer without the need to keep criticizing him. He has been a model professional but only lacking of attributes required for ETH's style of play.