g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Harry Maguire image 5

Harry Maguire England flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Redstain

I think the poor defence is on the manager, it's not individual performances, the team is consistently carved open for instance numerous chances conceded against Everton it's a very leaky defence and it's not for want of better individuals. Manager has to make the team more robust when the ball is going towards the goal.

criticalanalysis

Bit like his first season here. Much better of the defensive partnership and generally carrying his centre back, which also happens to be Lindelof again.

Alemar

Indeed, nothing much to say about Maguire today. Not especially good, but significantly better than Lindelof defensively, at the very least.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Much better, but fecking hell how slow is he. Watching him trying to reach a ball not played directly to his feet is quite something.

Lyng

Bit like his first season here. Much better of the defensive partnership and generally carrying his centre back, which also happens to be Lindelof again.
He only had to cover for Linde because Shaw was terrible yesterday. Both Maguire and Lindelöf had a ton of extra work because of Shaw, Garnacho, Onana and a midfield that was a open road.
Blaming either of the two for yesterday is, quite frankly, silly.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
I mean we only conceded 3 due to pathetic goalkeeping and a banger.
Yep, can’t sit here criticising the defence when we have a clown in the sticks. Absolutely fecked us in this campaign.
Would’ve won both Gala games if it wasn’t for him, would have beaten Copenhagen too if he could actually save anything at all. Let’s not talk about Bayern…

Rossa

Much better, but fecking hell how slow is he. Watching him trying to reach a ball not played directly to his feet is quite something.
Especially when he needs to find his feet - chasing a loose ball for instance. If he can run with the ball in a straight line, then he's OK-ish. If he can track back in a straight line, he's still slow, but not that bad. When he needs to adjust, or find his feet, he looks like a 90-year old - absolutely no agility.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Especially when he needs to find his feet - chasing a loose ball for instance. If he can run with the ball in a straight line, then he's OK-ish. If he can track back in a straight line, he's still slow, but not that bad. When he needs to adjust, or find his feet, he looks like a 90-year old - absolutely no agility.
Exactly, anything outside of a straight line was painful to watch.

Rossa

Exactly, anything outside of a straight line was painful to watch.
We have a real issue with him and Lindelöf in defense. Both are so slow that we need to sit much lower than any modern manager wants to. It creates so much space in the team. And we don't have a Kyle Walker that will chase down pretty much any player in the world just for fun, covering for his centre backs. AwB sometimes look a little slow himself.

spiriticon

He's in the form of his life.... and yet we have conceded a record number of goals in the CL and have a goal difference of 0 or even minus figures in the league. It gives you an idea of his maximum potential really.

Even if he isn't the direct cause of the problem, he certainly isn't talented enough to help solve our issues.

Kostov

He's in the form of his life.... and yet we have conceded a record number of goals in the CL and have a goal difference of 0 or even minus figures in the league. It gives you an idea of his maximum potential really.

Even if he isn't the direct cause of the problem, he certainly isn't talented enough to help solve our issues.
Maybe he should start yelling at the clown behind him? At least that's what our new GK did at his first opportunity when Harryd made a mistake in pre season.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We have a real issue with him and Lindelöf in defense. Both are so slow that we need to sit much lower than any modern manager wants to. It creates so much space in the team. And we don't have a Kyle Walker that will chase down pretty much any player in the world just for fun, covering for his centre backs. AwB sometimes look a little slow himself.
The balance between them leaves so much to be desired. One is slow, so can't play high and one isn't aggressive enough to play high. AWB is just slow in his reaction times and Dalot wouldn't even think to cover his CBs. I think we'll see a marked difference when we change the defence to one who can play out properly, has more pace and are proactive in their defending.

Rossa

The balance between them leaves so much to be desired. One is slow, so can't play high and one isn't aggressive enough to play high. AWB is just slow in his reaction times and Dalot wouldn't even think to cover his CBs. I think we'll see a marked difference when we change the defence to one who can play out properly, has more pace and are proactive in their defending.
That's why Varane and Martinez were so good. They complemented each other. Martinez being very agile and aggressive, whilst Varane was calm and composed and had recovery pace. Shaw also has recovery pace and Dalot is actually one of our fastest players, when he wants to, but he struggles with concentration when defending.

Lindelöf is slow, weak and not nearly aggressive enough. Maguire is very good at certain things, but he lacks speed and agility. Both passes the ball without any speed on the ball at all - accurate, but so slow.

criticalanalysis

He only had to cover for Linde because Shaw was terrible yesterday. Both Maguire and Lindelöf had a ton of extra work because of Shaw, Garnacho, Onana and a midfield that was a open road.
Blaming either of the two for yesterday is, quite frankly, silly.
Except Lindelof was generally very uninvolved defensively and didn't do much covering. There's a difference between reading a situation and then actually doing something to affect it. Time and time again, he 'covered' by moving into the space but did nothing proactive as he constantly backs away and doesn't put a foot in or try to take control of the situation. Then when he does take 'action', he sold himself in a dumb move:

Watch the 3rd goal again and tell me wtf what Lindelof was doing 'trying to cover for Shaw'. Absolutely amateur defending going so wide to vacate his area in the most important part of the pitch for a ball that would have gone down the channel at best. People are blaming Mainoo for that when he shouldn't have been needing to run past his own centre back from that position.

Maguire has absolutely been carrying Lindelof defensively the last few games because the Swede has been calamitous.

Onana was number 1 culprit hands down but I'm not absolving Lindelof for his own individual poor performance. His movement for the 3rd goal was just as pivotal of a single mistake.

Lyng

Except Lindelof was generally very uninvolved defensively and didn't do much covering. There's a difference between reading a situation and then actually doing something to affect it. Time and time again, he 'covered' by moving into the space but did nothing proactive as he constantly backs away and doesn't put a foot in or try to take control of the situation. Then when he does take 'action', he sold himself in a dumb move:

Watch the 3rd goal again and tell me wtf what Lindelof was doing 'trying to cover for Shaw'. Absolutely amateur defending going so wide to vacate his area in the most important part of the pitch for a ball that would have gone down the channel at best. People are blaming Mainoo for that when he shouldn't have been needing to run past his own centre back from that position.

Maguire has absolutely been carrying Lindelof defensively the last few games because the Swede has been calamitous.

Onana was number 1 culprit hands down but I'm not absolving Lindelof for his own individual poor performance. His movement for the 3rd goal was just as pivotal of a single mistake.
How the heck can you blame the third goal on Lindelöf? Look at Shaw. Its a good pass, and Kobbie follows well. Onana should never be beaten like that

VictoriaRed

Sad to say, but he’s keeping Varane out of the first 11. When would you ever say that?

Lyng

Sad to say, but he’s keeping Varane out of the first 11. When would you ever say that?
But why is that sad exactly? I am happy that our expensive defender has turned it around. I want all our signings to do well.

Roboc7

Our best player tonight, it’s a very low bar but he was head and shoulders above everyone else

spiriticon

Our best player on the pitch, then cost us the point.

If that isn't the most Maguire thing ever, I don't know what is. It's tragic.

RuudtheRed

He was probably our best player today. Unlucky to have touched the Antony shot but I liked the desire/aggression he showed when the chips were down.

delerium

Maguire was good today. Newcastle had numerous opportunities, but Maguire defended well. Wish the rest of the team had as much desire and resolve as him.

GMoore23

Very good tonight, didn't deserve to be on the losing side.
He's not perfect but still better captain material than Bruno.

AnotherLondonManc

Our best player on the pitch, then cost us the point.

If that isn't the most Maguire thing ever, I don't know what is. It's tragic.
It was a poor finish from Antony. In acres of space about 8 yards out and hit it more or less down the middle. There was plenty of space to avoid Maguire.