Music Great Cover Versions

I love the original, but this is just something else.

I'd never heard that before. One of my favourite songs too. Loved that version. So minimal (quite silly, to be honest) but still manages to strike a chord. I think Bowie's voice is often under-rated, too even if he does tend to slip into Chas'n'Dave mode occasionally!

Thanks for sharing that.

My favourite cover has already been mentioned (Hurt - Johnny Cash by a mile) so I'll go with this one:-

And secondly, mostly because I used to have a thing for her when I was a lad...

Never heard her before but I hate it when people vocally overcomplicate a song like that. It reminds me of Idol auditions where people with half decent voices try to impress the judges. She also seems to have a lisp which means she can't pronounce all of the words properly.

You've never heard of Pixie Lott before?

You poor, poor thing.

Not heard of her means you've never googled her!

You've never heard of Pixie Lott before?

You poor, poor thing.

Not heard of her means you've never googled her!

I've heard of her but not actually heard her sing. And I assume that the google reference implies topless photos.

I've heard of her but not actually heard her sing. And I assume that the google reference implies topless photos.

Nope. She's managed to keep those under wraps.

Her album is actually really good, along with her gorgeousness, makes her pretty perfect to me.

And as its your birthday (happy birthday by the way!), Lets just leave it as she is pretty, and some people think she is talented.

The original wasn't mainstream in popularity was it.
Shouldn't these covers at least be well known firsthand before they can be considered a great cover?

Shouldn't these covers at least be well known firsthand before they can be considered a great cover?

Does that really matter? It was covered by Eric Clapton for christ sake lol. Speaks volumes about the song. The fact is, it's a great cover, of another song. The original song doesn't need to be great, just the cover.

This is one of the best covers I have heard, in terms of a band taking the original song, and putting their own slant to it. HIM have made the song their own.

I love the original, but this is just something else.

I liked this but probs still prefer the orginal, simon and garfunkel are hugely underated IMO. Everyone knows the obvious ones but they have a hell of a lot more in their back catalogue. Great, great songs.

Hurt by Nine Inch Nails wasn't exactly played on the radio 24/7 but Johnny Cash's version is probably one of the greatest covers ever.

THE best if you ask me but...

I liked this but probs still prefer the orginal, simon and garfunkel are hugely underated IMO. Everyone knows the obvious ones but they have a hell of a lot more in their back catalogue. Great, great songs.

Yeah, definitely. I'd rather listen to Simon & Garfunky's version but that was still a great cover. No one said that the cover had to be better than the original.

April Come She Will, Only Living Boy in New York, So Long Frank Lloyd Wright, Bookends, For Emily... beautiful songs. Probably couldn't be covered better but I'd like to be proved wrong (I think some band did OLBINY a few years ago but they needn't have bothered for my money)

Yeah, definitely. I'd rather listen to Simon & Garfunky's version but that was still a great cover. No one said that the cover had to be better than the original.

April Come She Will, Only Living Boy in New York, So Long Frank Lloyd Wright, Bookends, For Emily... beautiful songs. Probably couldn't be covered better but I'd like to be proved wrong (I think some band did OLBINY a few years ago but they needn't have bothered for my money)

yeah, surprised more bands don't cover them.

bleeker st, dangling conversation, richard cory, a most peculiar man, at the zoo, kathys song, keep the customer satisfied, song for the asking as well are all brilliant songs. along with the obvious ones (particularly sound of silence, mrs robinson & the boxer).

Nope. She's managed to keep those under wraps.

Her album is actually really good, along with her gorgeousness, makes her pretty perfect to me.

And as its your birthday (happy birthday by the way!), Lets just leave it as she is pretty, and some people think she is talented.

I wasn't slagging her off as her voice sounded decent or better especially as I haven't heard anything else by her. I just didn't like that cover much.

yeah, surprised more bands don't cover them.

bleeker st, dangling conversation, richard cory, a most peculiar man, at the zoo, kathys song, keep the customer satisfied, song for the asking as well are all brilliant songs. along with the obvious ones (particularly sound of silence, mrs robinson & the boxer).

Kathy's Song... how did I forget that one? Song for the Asking... beautiful.

Must admit, I like S&G's more mellow stuff. Keep the Customer Satisfied and songs like Baby Driver don't do much for me and I can't imagine them ever being covered but each to their own and all that.

Yeah, people should definitely check out S&G a lot more.

They possibly don't get covered very much because it is hard to improve on perfection.

Having said that, everyone likes to have a bash at Bridge Over Troubled Waters.

A lot of the tracks I know of have been mentioned already, but the Beach Boys - Barbara Ann and the Carpenters - Calling Occupants were great cover versions.

Must admit, I like S&G's more mellow stuff. Keep the Customer Satisfied and songs like Baby Driver don't do much for me and I can't imagine them ever being covered but each to their own and all that.

They possibly don't get covered very much because it is hard to improve on perfection.

Kathy's song is fantastic. Leaves That Are Green is another one I love.

There's a kive album I like to listen to now and again called Old Friends. It's unbelievably good.

BOTW is obviously a classic but not really one of my favourites of theirs, like REM with Everybody Hurts - maybe just heard them too much.

Agree that s&g's mellowed stuff is better but KTCS is an exception for me.

Kathy's song is fantastic. Leaves That Are Green is another one I love.

There's a kive album I like to listen to now and again called Old Friends. It's unbelievably good.

Best album for anyone new to S&G is a 3CD boxset, also called 'Old Friends' (I think).

Does that really matter? It was covered by Eric Clapton for christ sake lol. Speaks volumes about the song. The fact is, it's a great cover, of another song. The original song doesn't need to be great, just the cover.
Fine.
How about great covers of songs people know.