Music Glastonbury 2019

I did wonder just who would actually be there, with him being an obvious potential absence that would be a huge loss from the collective. I'll still give it a look assuming it's on iPlayer.

The first of those times, I ended up (for reasons that are too long and bizarre to go into) going to the first gig theyd played after ODB died, complete with full roster, with my dad, at a Ski resort, and a crowd of almost entirely white preppy Americans.... and yet he still maintains to this day that Meth was one of the best live performers he’s ever seen, after he did M.E.T.H.O.D Man standing in the middle of the crowd, with the audience holding his feet... and he’s seen Bowie, The Stones (young, not pickled) etc...

They’re an entirely different show without him.

Yeah I've often wondered about that.

Seems like it's been swept under the carpet.

Like Pete Townsend and that book he was writing.

Last edited:
Saw them in Dublin a few weeks ago and they basically played this set and it was mint. Half the crowd seemed to only know a few of their more popular tunes and hadn't a clue what to make of Smith.

Sounds about right, was the same when I saw them at ready which obviously is full of GCSE leavers who pretty much knew Friday I’m In Love.

Obviously they made them sit through 2 hours of their stuff before finally giving them the popular 3 or 4 songs. I loved it though.

Robert Smith's voice has held up pretty well over the years.

The first of those times, I ended up (for reasons that are too long and bizarre to go into) going to the first gig theyd played after ODB died, complete with full roster, with my dad, at a Ski resort, and a crowd of almost entirely white preppy Americans.... and yet he still maintains to this day that Meth was one of the best live performers he’s ever seen, after he performed METHOD Man standing in the middle of the crowd, with the audience holding his feet... and he’s seen Bowie, The Stones (young, not pickled) etc...

They’re an entirely different show without him.

That Method Man performance sounds absolutely mental, and also awesome.

The Cure in "their prime" was way before my time, but have decent knowledge of them.

They sound amazing, not far off their studio stuff. Don't know of many bands in their 60s that still sound this good...

Sounds about right, was the same when I saw them at ready which obviously is full of GCSE leavers who pretty much knew Friday I’m In Love.

Obviously they made them sit through 2 hours of their stuff before finally giving them the popular 3 or 4 songs. I loved it though.
:lol: pretty much the same. The played Wendy Time and it was just me and some 40 year old guy singing along so he went up and gave me a big stoner hug. Good times.

Ah, they played Just Like a Heaven. That's me satisfied :drool:

There is literally nothing more boring than people a bit past their prime complaining about music festival line ups being worse than whenever era it was that catered more to their tastes. Culture changes, often rapidly, and music is always it’s first line of attack. Hip Hop has just become the new convenient focal point because it’s both culturally and sonically quite different from what came before*. But it’s also undoubtedly the biggest musical genre of the last 2 decades ... so what are Glastonbury supposed to do? Ignore it and fade into obscurity? (Or at least lesser relevance?)

Sure, it could’ve remained a narrower, genre stricter festival, but there are countless of those now. It’s probably irksome for the locals that were into that way back, but times move on, things change, especially things that take a huge amount of money and effort to organise, and it’s not like that kind of thing isn’t catered for AT ALL. If anything it’s more catered to than ever. For better or worse Glasto just evolved into a bigger, more global cultural thing. Complaining about it reminds me of when my mates and I would stop dancing and screwface during our raving days when Shake Your Body or Snapshot would drop in the jungle clubs, because they’d (fleetingly) been (low) in the charts, and for some reason we assumed these underground artists should be forsaking any chance of genuine success just to keep us and our little clique of genre purists happy...

I’ve never been, nor am particularly interested in going to Glastonbury (outside of a vague bucket list desire) - because I tend to go to a plethora of the aforementioned festivals that cater to me - but I can still appreciate that it does a far better job than most of catering to as many tastes as possible. Its not like it’s gone full populist Cochealla... It’s usually still one headliner for the youts, one for the still partying 30 odds, and one for the dads... Occasionslly these aren’t all great (as I personally agree they aren’t this year - though Stormzy, The Killers and The Cure easily fall into these categories) but you know what? Not everything is for me... Music is mostly for the young, and it always has been. You either embrace it, accept it, or become a tiresome Tory wanker. Those are the ONLY OPTIONS GUYS!!

* also, the “it doesn’t work on big festival stages because it’s just a guy and a backing track” argument is bollocks. Yes, of course it works better in smaller more intimate environments, but so do most rocks acts! How the feck d’you think rock started? It was just birthed by Led Zep playing Tampa was it? You telling me you’d rather have seen Hendrix at a giant festival than in a smokey room with 200 people? Plus loads of guitar acts are just some guy standing motionless in the middle of a stage for an hour, most of the pop acts (which Glasto have had much longer than hip hop) are playing to backing tracks, and a lot of bands are just really shit live, with little sense of theatre... so what?

Hip Hop just has to play by the “lone woman on a panel show” rules, whereby every act is expected to represent their entire genre, whilst 3 of the 4 guys who aren’t Frankie Boyle or Paul Merton (as panellists, not rappers) can just be nominally shit without much fuss.

Besides, by all accounts Stormzy went down exceptionally well. It was theatrical, provocative, socially relevant and has already become a semi-iconic performance - you know, exactly the kind of thing an alternative music festival should be platforming! - so just repeating the mantra that rap acts don’t work like it’s universal truth, doesn’t exactly work...Hip Hop acts at festivals are getting better with every generation. It’s a learning curve. But sure, let’s have a less relevant rock act sing their non-descript emo lyrics whilst strumming really hard on the spot in leather trousers again... ‘Cos that’s what alternative really means. ‘Cos of the guitars.... and the trousers.
Thats all well and good but does every grime tune today have to use the same old cheap sounded hi hats ? The reason we used FL(Fruity loops)as teenagers wasn't because of the love of shite sounding instrument samples but because it was available to download free on the internet. Its like the musical interpretation of the hipster/dressing like a bum fashion thread a few years ago.

Anyway while I'm not really a fan of Stormyz stuff(Again his beats are shite and I'm just too old and white)his performance was clearly the most interesting thing done at Glastonbury in years.

I love The Cure, especially the old fat emo version of Robert Smith

I reckon Robert Smith spends the vast majority of his time incognito as “Robert Smith; but with a normal hairstyle and no makeup” getting the tube, going to Costa, using public toilets in North London, etc, and absolutely no one knows who the feck he is. And that’s the reason he still cultivates this weird “stuck in the emo 80s” stage style...So he can be left alone to be quiet and weird anonymously the rest of the time.

And I must say, I admire him for this imaginary attitude.

Last edited:
I reckon Robert Smith spends the vast majority of his time incognito as “Robert Smith; but with a normal hairstyle and no makeup” getting the tube, going to Costa, using public toilets in North London, etc, and absolutely no one knows who the feck he is. And that’s the reason he still cultivates this weird “stuck in the emo 80s” stage style...So he can be left alone to be quiet and weird annonumosly the rest of the time.

And I must say, I admire him for this imaginary attitude.

I’ve never thought about it before but now you’ve said it I’m all aboard this imaginary double life you’ve invented. I think his hair is a wig and he’s a complete slaphead underneath

Thats all well and good but does every grime tune today have to use the same old cheap sounded hi hats ? The reason we used FL(Fruity loops)as teenagers wasn't because of the love of shite sounding instrument samples but because it was available to download free on the internet. Its like the musical interpretation of the hipster/dressing like a bum fashion thread a few years ago.

Anyway while I'm not really a fan of Stormyz stuff(Again his beats are shite and I'm just too old and white)his performance was clearly the most interesting thing done at Glastonbury in years.

Tbf, as a big fan of UK hip hop in the 00s, I’ve never totally warmed to Grime as a phenomena, because I always kinda think it’s more “garage warmed up” than proper lyricism... but I’m aware that that is also a generational preference. Plus 36 Chambers is unquestionably still the best Wu Tang album precisely because it feels viscerally cheap and raw. Same as punk originally did. Sometimes that just connects more with the youth of the times than a polished product.

Stupid thing to say but this performance almost sounds too good, feel like I've just stuck on their album rather than watching a gig.

I always liked bands who get alittle bit more creative when they're live and slightly divert from certain elements of their album released songs.
Radiohead ,to name one,are very good at this.

I dont like live music finely tuned.I like abit spontaneity and chaos.It sounds and feels more natural.

The Cure were fecking qualitee back in their heyday. Lost interest in the mid ‘90s personally but performed better tonight than I thought they could at this stage of their career, Smith’s voice has bearly changed.

Nice to hear plenty from Disintegration. Their best album no doubt.

Tbf, as a big fan of UK hip hop in the 00s, I’ve never totally warmed to Grime as a phenomena, because I always kinda think it’s more “garage warmed up” than proper lyricism... but I’m aware that that is also a generational preference. Plus 36 Chambers is unquestionably still the best Wu Tang album precisely because it feels viscerally cheap and raw. Same as punk originally did. Sometimes that just connects more with the youth of the times than a polished product.

So this means nothing to you then - ''I was on Oxford Street, you was in the hood screw face with a ostrich beak.'' - Wiley

What I like about grime from the lyrics to the beats is how completely alien it is to Hip Hop(It has more in common with garage and jungle)but I feel most of the new grime beats are too influenced by American Hip Hop which results in this raw sound of bad hi hats and distorted 808 kicks. Maybe I'm just getting old but most of Stormyz beats sounded the same.

Although its to be somewhat expected I guess with Hip Hop now being the biggest music genre in the world. Still there's no excuse for the coldplay guy popping up for a bit of a sing song.When did we start to normalise Chris Martin back into society and why wasn't I warned about it.

Last edited:
Stupid thing to say but this performance almost sounds too good, feel like I've just stuck on their album rather than watching a gig.

Their live albums have a similar quality, unusually pristine sound.

Going to watch the rest of The Cure's set tomorrow, really enjoyed them tonight. Robert Smith still sounds great, I really need to go and see them live at some point.

Stormzy smashed it on the Friday night as expected. I think his headline set will be talked about for a long time.

The Killers were incredibly dull, I was nodding off during them. They played one song twice (What the hell?!) They seemed very reliant on their older material.

I've also watched George Ezra, he was ok I guess, shouldn't be subbing Glastonbury though, third down at best.

Idles were amazing, I saw them at All Points East last month and I enjoyed them but they were proper on it on Friday. They've just sold out Ally Pally and tickets only went on sale Friday, absolutely incredible for their first arena tour.

Tame Impala were good, maybe a bit slow in places.

Liam Gallagher was good as usual.

Vampire Weekend I like them on record but they were boring, set list was underwhelming too.

Babymetal were pretty good, the new dancer was a bit out of time with the other two girls though :lol:. The new songs sound great live, makes me tempted to get a ticket for their tour next year.

It's a shame Bring Me the Horizon didn't want to be filmed but they're probably getting fed up with all the back in track remarks and how Oli is miming. Apparently they had a tiny crowd as well.

Absolutely loved The Cure missed them in Dublin a few weeks ago. Did laugh when he said he was going to put his "pop" head back on again for ten minutes. At sixty his voice sounds even better if that's possible. Highlights "Forrest" "Pictures of you" " Disintegration" and of course "Boys don't cry".

What I like about grime from the lyrics to the beats is how completely alien it is to Hip Hop(It has more in common with garage and jungle)

And I absolutely prefer this element to the current American Lo-fi equivalent of mumblecore and autotune, but as a lover of jungle, garage and UKHH in their primes, I can’t help but feel Grime is somewhat of a cultural compromise, rather than an amalgamated peak.*

Also, Hip Hop is both old and diverse enough to achieve this disparity within itself. The really good lyricists were always slept on, even in the “golden age”... Big L was the best rapper murdered in 90s.

* though there was/is a school of thought within UKHH (by which I mean, on some AOL forums I frequented in the 00s) that the arbiters of American music were so hyper aware of British musicians basically highjacking (nay, appropriating) all of their stuff - from the Beatles & The Stones, to Led Zep and Pink Floyd, to Black Sabbath, etc - that somewhere along the line, Hip Hop was deliberately fenced off as an unassailably American cultural product, and anyone trying to riff on it was seen as an intruder, or illegitimate. So despite it becoming the biggest thing around, and Brits continuing to break the US in every other genre, our best rappers (like Jehst or Chester P) could never aspire to anything but parochial success. And as such, Grime was born out of a necessity to create a distinctly home grown “way in” for the generation raised on that sound...

...but there were also a lot of “the 9/11 planes were holograms!” threads on those places back then, so who can say, really?

And I absolutely prefer this element to the current American Lo-fi equivalent of mumblecore and autotune,
I like the mumble core and auto tune stuff not because it's any good as of course its complete shite(Kayne is the only who's made auto tune work) but because it proves that Karl Marx is as always correct......bare with me

"Adam Curtis voice over"

"All that is solid melts into air, all that is holy is profaned, and man is at last compelled to face with sober senses his real conditions of life, and his relations with his kind"

The history of Hip Hop be it Biggie or Big L, the lyrics of WU Tang etc get turned into profanity and we are left with the realisation that the music we loved is in fact just a opioid addicted 20 year old countless repeating the word Gucci Gucci over and over again while driving a rented Mercedes.

It's sort of fecking amazing in a very depressing way.

but as a lover of jungle, garage and UKHH in their primes, I can’t help but feel Grime is somewhat of a cultural compromise, rather than an amalgamated peak.*
From what I remember Grime was looked down on by especially the garage scene. Which sparked the Wiley song Wot U Call It.

It's sort of hard to for me to argue that grime isn't far better than what came before(And I love me a bit of Metal Headz). Firstly because its what I've grown up so there's always going to be that connection but also there so many sub genres in the grime(To name a few)

.Eskmio - This weird cold sounding music which sounds like the future but this just giant sweet square waves

.Sino Grime - Grime mixed with Asian music(There's a grime scene in Japan which is brilliant)

.RnG - Basically RnB but with grime. Produced some of the memorial grime tracks and is still influential today - Kelela stuff is covered with RnG stuff.

I view Grime similar to Hip Hop or House music in that it can't really die off, it just evolves. Unlike say garage or jungle which isn't coming back, both had their day but it's over.

And I
* though there was/is a school of thought within UKHH (by which I mean, on some AOL forums I frequented in the 00s) that the arbiters of American music were so hyper aware of British musicians basically highjacking (nay, appropriating) all of their stuff - from the Beatles & The Stones, to Led Zep and Pink Floyd, to Black Sabbath, etc - that somewhere along the line, Hip Hop was deliberately fenced off as an unassailably American cultural product, and anyone trying to riff on it was seen as an intruder, or illegitimate. So despite it becoming the biggest thing around, and Brits continuing to break the US in every other genre, our best rappers (like Jehst or Chester P) could never aspire to anything but parochial success. And as such, Grime was born out of a necessity to create a distinctly home grown “way in” for the generation raised on that sound...

...but there were also a lot of “the 9/11 planes were holograms!” threads on those places back then, so who can say, really?
Cheers never heard of that theory before(The grime one not the hologram planes). I would disagree but again my ''knowledge" is pretty much the odd bits I can remember from my teenage years. Dan Handcox writes brilliant on the grime scene fyi.

As for UKHH I've always thought the biggest struggle was

1) The accent.

2)Both Jesht & Chester P are white and well a certain someone already had the incredibly good white guy rapper market locked down.

3)People like Jehst, Chester P, Ransome Badbonez aren't going to and never did make tunes that would appeal to a mainstream audiences. Again I don't know a lot about UKHH but it never seemed particular fussed about going mainstream. Roll Deep(the grime group)first album was made explicitly to appeal to everyone from grime fans to mums to the white van man(The album is great btw).

4)Culturally I didn't think it had the same connections to the UK as grime or really any other UK dance music. Which I think plays a big part in how things go mainstream. UKHH has the same structure as US Hip Hop, so it's going to harder get people interested in it and to stand out. Where as grime - it's 140bmp, it's doesn't particular have any rhyming structure, it's doesn't sound like hip hop etc. There fundamental to grime in my view that make it a genre of music rather than a group from x country doing a genre of music e.g British people take on hip hop.

All of which is a shame because someone like Jehst really is up there with the very best. Honestly you would struggle to find a better condense political reading of the last 20 odd years of British politics than Jehst - England.

Last edited:
just a opioid addicted 20 year old countless repeating the word Gucci Gucci over and over again while driving a rented Mercedes.

It's sort of fecking amazing in a very depressing way.

Lil Pump is a genius. Gucci Gang is brilliant. He boiled down the most lazy of Hip Hop cliches into its most essential form and made millions from it. It would be even better if he did it consciously.

@Sweet Square Oh I’d never claim for a second that Grime emceeing isn’t infinitely better than Garage... largely because Garage emceeing was essentially just people trying to rhyme as many things that ended in A and O as they could, whilst going “budabudabudabuda” a lot..... Jungle emceeing was slightly better, but still peaked with Skibba and Shabba trying to name as many recognisable footballers or cars as fast as they could. Both were objectively terrible. Grime is a clear evolution of both, but because it did evolve from them, as much if not more than it did from hip hop, it’s really good rapping can never be quite as good as.... well, really good rapping!

That doesn’t mean it’s not powerfully visceral and entertaining in its own right....but I can see why a lot of UKHH heads felt a little short changed when the sea change happened. But if Skinnyman’s Council Estate Of Mind didn’t make it, then really nothing was going to.

Last edited:
Jungle emceeing was slightly better, but still peaked with Skibba and Shabba trying to name as many recognisable footballers or cars as fast as they could. Both were objectively terrible.[/USER]

This isn't true Drum n bass emceeing peaked with Harry Shotta trying to name as many recognisable footballers and cars as he could. In all seriousness, the lyricism in drum n bass emceeing has evolved over the years. Drum n bass emceeing is its own thing anyway. Its more a live art from to hype the crowd.

Last edited:
Lil Pump is a genius. Gucci Gang is brilliant. He boiled down the most lazy of Hip Hop cliches into its most essential form and made millions from it. It would be even better if he did it consciously.
But did he do it as a delibrate satire on the emptiness of modern day hip hop culture or because he is in fact the outcome of this culture ? For all we known Jess Linguard could be giving Daniel Day Lewis a run for his money with his method acting as a over paid man child footballer. Is " Beans Beans Beans" not the Gucci Gang of 2019.

If Lil Pump did do Gucci Gang as a delibrate satire then I'll happily call the guy a genius but also the Groucho Marx quote comes to mind - "He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot"

Although it doesn't really matter as the effect deliberate or not is the same.

@Sweet Square Oh I’d never claim for a second that Grime emceeing isn’t infinitely better than Garage... largely because Garage emceeing was essentially just people trying to rhyme as many things that ended in A and O as they could, whilst going “budabudabudabuda” a lot..... Jungle emceeing was slightly better, but still peaked with Skibba and Shabba trying to name as many recognisable footballers or cars as fast as they could. Both were objectively terrible. Grime is a clear evolution of both, but because it did evolve from them, as much if not more than it did from hip hop, it’s really good rapping can never be quite as good as.... well, really good rapping!

That doesn’t mean it’s not powerfully visceral and entertaining in its own right

Ah fair enough I must have misread your posts.

but I can see why a lot of UKHH heads felt a little short changed when the sea change happened. But if Skinnyman’s Council Estate Of Mind didn’t make it, then really nothing was going to.
Yeah I could see why especially when Mike Skinner was blowing up. I love the guy but he literally rapped about going to the shops and atm machines. The only guys who have made it "big" out of UKHH is Roots Manuva or Akala, right ?

If Lil Pump did do Gucci Gang as a delibrate satire then I'll happily call the guy a genius but also the Groucho Marx quote comes to mind - "He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot"

The guy was a 16 year old millionaire through his own creative endeavour. Intentional or not, he's no idiot.

'Them'.

D-T_HjgXkAAdiqG.jpg

D-T_HfqXkAAO7yP.jpg

My sister was watching some of Billie Eilish set on TV yesterday, she's definitely a talent imo. At only 17 you'd think she's been performing for 10 years.

My sister was watching some of Billie Eilish set on TV yesterday, she's definitely a talent imo. At only 17 you'd think she's been performing for 10 years.
I was plesantly surprised how good she was. The chemical brothers were incredible. Also really liked the foals set in the park. Lizzo at West holts. Although the most long lasting memory will be Sigrid going from elfin gentle singing tones to Frau Farbissina when ordering the crowd around to sing "LOUDER! "