Germany at World Cup 2014

ManniKaltz

Who would you leave on the bench out of Kross and Schweinsteiger?

Your full backs look weak, for me. If Lahm plays in midfield you will be weak at both LB and RB.
These days, every LB/RB look weak in more or less any team, not just the German N11, if the lads in front of them don't back track - that's the fundamental problem with Löw. He's stuck in the stone age when attackers only attack and defenders only defend. That's particularly sad as with the exception of Özil and perhaps Schürrle, every other German AM is used to back tracking duties at his club so Löw wouldn't demand something new.

Look at almost every goal Germany conceded during the appr. last 2 years and you'll find that ususally the origin roots back to an attacking midfielder losing the ball and rather than diligently back tracking and helping the defense, they either stop abruptly, watching the upcoming disaster from far, or do some alibi running, trotting 2-3 steps back but not making a real effort. Also compare RAMs back-tracking depending whether Lahm or somebody else played as RB: They don't wanna mess with Fipsi but couldn't care less about any other RB.

As long as Löw won't change this approach, however, we won't come anywhere near silverware, rightfully so. Heynckes at Bayern was able to learn and that's why they won the treble; Löw is a guy from the black forrest who's too stubborn and proud to admit or even recognize that his "concept" is outdated.

Last edited:

anchan1989

We will have a great world cup. The media is in a bad mode again.
Like 2006 and 2010. ;D
Khedira will be fine for the first games. Schweini too. We are overall better then the 3 others. Some dont need to be fully ready.
In a world cup you need scorers. And we have so many and they are so good.
We could get 4 or 5 goals in the group but we will score more then.
Im pumped.

ManniKaltz

As mentioned before, I respect your opinion but couldn't disagree more in almost every aspect. :D Löw is disregarding everything he had promised before, playing down all the injuries, and the media are dumb enough to let him get away with it.

MikeMango

As mentioned before, I respect your opinion but couldn't disagree more in almost every aspect. :D Löw is disregarding everything he had promised before, playing down all the injuries, and the media are dumb enough to let him get away with it.

Would you send Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Neuer, Khedira home, because they are not fully match fit 3 weeks before the first game ? These 4 are the leaders of our national team for years now.

Especially for the defensive midfielders is no other option than to keep them in the squad. Otherwise we would have only two defensive midfielders left. Kramer and Ginter, both players without any official game time for germany and not even a single game in europe for their clubs. Ok, and Kroos, who would be not in his best position.

Reactions: SilentWitness

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
i will now attempt to add a somewhat oddly positive thought in here:

there were worse german national squads that went far in WC tournaments.

MikeMango

i will now attempt to add a somewhat oddly positive thought in here:

there were worse german national squads that went far in WC tournaments.
another:
4 years ago, we had to play Piotr Trochowski in the semi because of müllers suspension. This time we have to play Mario Götze.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
There must be something between total euphoria and total pessimism, or?
Nah, pessimism it is. Ever since our win in the 2010 semifinal, we've never reached those heights again. I've given up hope that Löw might actually get the maximum (or even something remotely close to it) out of our amazing squad. I predict a quarterfinal exit.

Blackwidow

Nah, pessimism it is. Ever since our win in the 2010 semifinal, we've never reached those heights again. I've given up hope that Löw might actually get the maximum (or even something remotely close to it) out of our amazing squad. I predict a quarterfinal exit.
You mean the loss in the semifinals. Actually we only lost one competitive match since then and drew one...

The match against Italy and the 4:4 against Sweden. (and the last one Proenca was the referee)

4 years ago, we had to play Piotr Trochowski in the semi because of müllers suspension. This time we have to play Mario Götze.
I am not sure that sounds better. The thing about Müller is not his technical abilities but his mentality in the big matches.

But Müller got 2 yellow cards in 47 matches for the national team... - the ones at the World Cup...

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
You mean the loss in the semifinals. Actually we only lost one competitive match since then and drew one...
Sorry, I meant the 2010 QF, obviously. My bad.
The "competitive" match stuff doesn't clinch it for me, since a lot of those "competitive matches" were against giants like Kasachstan and the Faroes. It's not like our qualifying groups were deathtraps or anything... and I'd rather lose 2 matches there than underperform when it counts yet again.

MikeMango

I am not sure that sounds better. The thing about Müller is not his technical abilities but his mentality in the big matches.

But Müller got 2 yellow cards in 47 matches for the national team... - the ones at the World Cup...
I know he is not replaceable. I love Müller. It's no coincidence that we lost against italy in the semis two years ago, while Müller sat on the bench almost the entire game.;)

But come on, Trochowski or Götze as his replacement...? :)

Apart from the fitness of the defensive midfielders, I think Müller and Reus will be our most important factors at the world cup.

Reactions: crappycraperson

Blackwidow

I know he is not replaceable. I love Müller. It's no coincidence that we lost against italy in the semis two years ago, while Müller sat on the bench almost the entire game.;)

But come on, Trochowski or Götze as his replacement...? :)

Apart from the fitness of the defensive midfielders, I think Müller and Reus will be our most important factors at the world cup.
That was not the point. But against Spain we missed especially the counter attacking player with that mentality and the run he had then.

I know that you meant the quality of the players - but that was not why I questioned that.

Sorry, I meant the 2010 QF, obviously. My bad.
The "competitive" match stuff doesn't clinch it for me, since a lot of those "competitive matches" were against giants like Kasachstan and the Faroes. It's not like our qualifying groups were deathtraps or anything... and I'd rather lose 2 matches there than underperform when it counts yet again.
But there only were that competitive matches...

What other matches should we look on. Matches in August or late in November when our players only want not to get injured and do not go full speed. I do not think we can judge the team or coach because of friendly matches. And the only really good friendly matches was the one against the Netherlands in November 2011 and last year in France.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
These days, every LB/RB look weak in more or less any team, not just the German N11, if the lads in front of them don't back track - that's the fundamental problem with Löw. He's stuck in the stone age when attackers only attack and defenders only defend. That's particularly sad as with the exception of Özil and perhaps Schürrle, every other German AM is used to back tracking duties at his club so Löw wouldn't demand something new.

Look at almost every goal Germany conceded during the appr. last 2 years and you'll find that ususally the origin roots back to an attacking midfielder losing the ball and rather than diligently back tracking and helping the defense, they either stop abruptly, watching the upcoming disaster from far, or do some alibi running, trotting 2-3 steps back but not making a real effort. Also compare RAMs back-tracking depending whether Lahm or somebody else played as RB: They don't wanna mess with Fipsi but couldn't care less about any other RB.

As long as Löw won't change this approach, however, we won't come anywhere near silverware, rightfully so. Heynckes at Bayern was able to learn and that's why they won the treble; Löw is a guy from the black forrest who's too stubborn and proud to admit or even recognize that his "concept" is outdated.
great post. add that even our central midfield lacks to cover for the back4. Schweinsteiger did it in 2010, but was in the form of his life. world-class.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
Yeah, the central midfield is a weak area, especially now with all the fitness issues. I cannot see any combination of Germany's central midfielders dominate against Spain's, Brazil's, Italy's or even the French midfield, especially not with only two central midfielders and Özil in front of them. And central midfield is a key area. That's something you can compensate with early pressing from your front players, but that's not something Germany has employed and the conditions in Brazil probably would not allow it anyway.

If Germany play their usual game, they will have the occasional sweeping win against inferior sides, but will loose against the first quality team with a composed midfield.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
I'd favour Spain, Brazil and Italy over Germany. And I think France are on par. That's why I think Germany will make it to the quarter- or semi-final but not further. Of course, in knockout competitions you never know, but that's the most likely scenario in my opinion

Lothar

I'd favour Spain, Brazil and Italy over Germany. And I think France are on par. That's why I think Germany will make it to the quarter- or semi-final but not further. Of course, in knockout competitions you never know, but that's the most likely scenario in my opinion
If Germany wins their group the toughest opposition they will face is France (at best) in the quarters. And they've always beaten France. Then Brazil waits in the semis. So it's a good bet they will reach at least that far, then it becomes a matter of being able to beat the home side to play Spain or Argentina in the final.

Ruht

Germany could win this WC. Only one team can stop them and it depends on how good Spain are.
With the way midfielders are dropping like flies I won't be so sure of that.

Lahm spoke to BILD today and said that he still can't run and if the WC was tomorrow he wouldn't make it. Good think it doesn't start tomorrow. He reassured that everything is going as planned and should be fit though.

ManniKaltz

great post. add that even our central midfield lacks to cover for the back4. Schweinsteiger did it in 2010, but was in the form of his life. world-class.
Nice to see we share some common ground, @PedroMendez. :)

I'm particularly gutted as almost every player is used to it in the club, they would be benched by their club managers if they'd refuse to contribute to defending.

Regarding who could or should play in cetral midfield, Löw tested yesterday the combo of Kramer and Kroos, at least during the first 40 minutes of the match against the U20 team. With so many question marks around our central midfielders' fitness, it looks as if Kramer will actually make it to Brazil.

ManniKaltz

With the way midfielders are dropping like flies I won't be so sure of that.

Lahm spoke to BILD today and said that he still can't run and if the WC was tomorrow he wouldn't make it. Good think it doesn't start tomorrow. He reassured that everything is going as planned and should be fit though.
I watched yesterday's interview with him on ZDF and couldn't stop laughing: He said that it's not as bad as reports about him suggest, and that he could walk though not run. :lol:

Really, Philipp, this sounds much more optimistic ...

ManniKaltz

Jogi himself appeared at today's presser. Among many crappy Q&As there were some interesting ones:

- good chances for Kramer to make it to Brazil
- Podolski won't play as a striker
- Hummels won't play in defensive/central midfield
- no plans to play with a 3-player defense line (= no inspiration from Pep)

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Seriously? Why? Apart from "they have done it in the past", which is correct, what indicates that Italy is better than Germany. Their squad is clearly inferior on almost every position. Yea, we haven't fared well against them in the last 30 years, but 4 games between top teams are hardly statistically relevant. Ballotelli, Buffon, Chiellini, De Rossi and Pirlo are the only tier 1 players left in the squad, one is insane and had a bad year, 3 of them arguably have peaked. So much mediocrity in this team, it's unbelievable.
And I rate, in this environment especially, Argentina higher than France. France will arrive with a Ribery searching for form and some excellent but very young and inexperienced players. Except Ribery and Benzema, experienced standout players are missing completely. The chemistry in this team has been very bad historically, too. Their qualification campaign was a disaster already and it showed how much is wrong with the team.
It's either Argentina, Spain, Germany or Argentina for me. The chance for the rest of the lot is maybe at 5%.
All of these 4 teams have their flaws, but still their quaility is way beyond the rest.

Ruht

I watched yesterday's interview with him on ZDF and couldn't stop laughing: He said that it's not as bad as reports about him suggest, and that he could walk though not run. :lol:

Really, Philipp, this sounds much more optimistic ...
It does, doesn't it? :D Jogi said he should start running tomorrow though so fingers-crossed. Hopefully he can be fully fit for the Portugal game.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
Seriously? Why?
Yes, seriously. Why? Because they have better players, better balance, better depth, better form and the better tactician. Germany have a whole arsenal of speedy attacking wingers/midfielders like Müller, Götze, Özil, Reus etc. But I don't think the rest is anything special. I think Italy has the better players and is more composed than Germany.

Regarding Argentina, I don't know. I haven't seen them play. Their squad still looks pretty unbalanced and I don't know whether their coach has found solutions for this problem. The weather might be in their favour, that's true.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Yes, seriously. Why? Because they have better players, better balance, better depth, better form and the better tactician. Germany have a whole arsenal of speedy attacking wingers/midfielders like Müller, Götze, Özil, Reus etc. But I don't think the rest is anything special. I think Italy has the better players and is more composed than Germany.

Regarding Argentina, I don't know. I haven't seen them play. Their squad still looks pretty unbalanced and I don't know whether their coach has found solutions for this problem. The weather might be in their favour, that's true.
We should agree to disagree :D

If it's about the distribution of quality in the team at such, it's better balanced, yes. But part of the german team looking unbalanced is that the quality at top is so high that the rest looks weaker in comparison. But I don't know if Hummels-Boateng is weaker than Varane-Mangala/Koscielny/Sakho. Wouldn't say so. Germanys midfield is certainly stronger, keeper to. They have the better striker, yes, but that's about it. They look more composed as a team, but for me they clearly lack tier 1 players which could lead them all the way. Ribéry is their only real weapon in offensive midfield, but if you go by his recent form...well. It's the same about Italy. Which of their players would be part of the german starting XI? Balotelli, De Rossi, Chiellini (probably), everyone they can field at LB. That's 3-4 of 11. I don't know where you see these better players.

Reactions: Eboue

ManniKaltz

Lahm says he'd play where Löw puts him but doesn't see himself as a LB, and currently feels more as a midfielder.

Will be interesting whom Löw will play at LB: Durm as a newbie? Schmelzer being unfit (if he gets fit enough for the final squad for Brazil)? Großkreutz who can play there but only did 2-3 times this season? Mustafi who apparently can play there, too, but has comparable little experience on this position (similar to Großkreutz), minus the international (= CL) experience?

A tough one for Löw.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
It's the same about Italy. Which of their players would be part of the german starting XI? Balotelli, De Rossi, Chiellini (probably), everyone they can field at LB. That's 3-4 of 11. I don't know where you see these better players.
I know more about Italy than France. I just think that France are a solid side all over the pitch and that their midfield would dominate Germany's. I mean Germany could line up with an out of form Schweinsteiger and Khedira, who is just coming back from injury and simply not an outstanding midfielder. I cannot see them stand up to Matuidi and Pogba who are beasts (and will probably have a third midfielder with them). That's why overall I think there is not much between France and Germany.

Italy, though, are a better team in my opinion. I could pose the same question and ask which Germany players would make Italy's eleven? Lahm and maybe one or two of the attacking wingers. That's it. But both sides are hard to compare as they play completely different football, so it does not make sense to ask who will make what team. I think Italy has a better balanced team. There is quality all over the pitch and a lot of different players that compliment each other really well, while Germany's quality is heavily biased towards the attacking midfielders/wingers. There is a very solid and very experienced defence with the heart of the defence coming from the same club. There is a huge variety of different strikers. And the point regarding central midfield above is even more true regarding Italy. I cannot see Khedira and Schweinsteiger hold their own against Pirlo, De Rossi and Marchisio. And depending on Italy's formation there might even be a 4th midfielder like Montolivo or Motta.

I think Italy's quality is more balanced and Germany's weaknesses play right up to Italy's strengths. And of course, I think Italy has the better tactician. Everything can happen in a one-off match, but I would confidently put my money on Italy.

The point is, Germany have lot of good players, but a lot of the best players compete for the same spots, while there are some obvious weaknesses. The fullbacks - apart from Lahm (if he does not have to help out in midfield) - are not very good. The central defenders are solid but not world class. The midfield has a lot of fitness problems and lacks dynamic players. Up front there is no real top class striker. These are some obvious weaknesses. And of course, there is Löw who might play Podolski and Özil and leave out better players. I would fancy Germany much more if they would play an aggressive pressing game with Götze, Müller and Reus running at people. That would lessen some of their weaknesses and play to the strength of most of their players who play that kind of football with their clubs. But that's not going to happen, e.g. for climate reasons. So, a pressing game like Dortmund won't happen, the midfield is not dynamic enough to break down teams through the middle, a wide, crossing-based game on the other hand suffers from the weaknesses in the striker department, and the defense is not good enough to sit deep, defend and wait for the counter attack. I think these weaknesses are too much to win the World Cup. And, of course, there are many players with fitness issues.

On the other hand, I think there are only a handful of teams better than Germany. And if the World Cup plays out as expected they will only face one of those teams in the semi-final. From there it's only two games to win the Cup. It's not all doom and gloom and I do not mean to discredit Germany, I just think there around four teams who have something more.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers

I don't really know why you're so confident about Italy. I feel like they have an ok side but that they will even struggle to get out of the group stages.

The Serie A in general hasn't looked great this year and players like Pirlo aren't getting any younger. The 3-5-2 isn't really working for Juve on international level, I don't know which formation they will use for the WC though.

Reactions: Eboue

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
I don't really know why you're so confident about Italy. I feel like they have an ok side but that they will even struggle to get out of the group stages.

The Serie A in general hasn't looked great this year and players like Pirlo aren't getting any younger. The 3-5-2 isn't really working for Juve on international level, I don't know which formation they will use for the WC though.
Italy have a lot of good players in (almost) every position. It's a very balanced side. The good players have a lot of different characteristics and compliment each other very well. The team can play several formations and with different tactics. The coach is good. The team has been working together for several years and has done well at the Euro 2012 and decent enough at the Confed Cup. Why would I not be confident in the team? Italy only really lack the ability to sweep teams aside. They are tough to beat but won't destroy teams either. That's why it is not impossible that they will struggle in the group as both England and Uruguay can easily draw against Italy. Germany on the other hand will easily sweep away lesser sides, but against sides of the same level they freeze.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München

I'm on the same train. It may be balanced and all, yes, but all in all 3-5-2, which is the best system to suit their strenghts, is proved pointless on international level. And, that may be subjective, but that's my feeling: This team is the worst Italy is fielding, just player-wise, since I can remember. It may be just the flair of big guns missing, players which can decide a game alone. Germany itself, of course, has proven many times that that's not all and you can overcome this with tactics and will, but still. And Pirlo, on which they heavily relied in the past, he is just past his best, his season with Milan was hardly impressing, it was depressing. And they are lacking, in my opinion, a potent playmaker of some sort to replace Pirlos efforts on the creative department. We will see how this turns out.

Regarding Germany lacking CB's which are world class: which team has, besides probably Brazil? I also think that these days the outlays of most teams make it difficult for the CB's, im not sure someone like Ferdinand, Lucio or Ayala would do better.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
I'm on the same train. It may be balanced and all, yes, but all in all 3-5-2, which is the best system to suit their strenghts, is proved pointless on international level. And, that may be subjective, but that's my feeling: This team is the worst Italy is fielding, just player-wise, since I can remember. It may be just the flair of big guns missing, players which can decide a game alone. Germany itself, of course, has proven many times that that's not all and you can overcome this with tactics and will, but still. And Pirlo, on which they heavily relied in the past, he is just past his best, his season with Milan was hardly impressing, it was depressing. And they are lacking, in my opinion, a potent playmaker of some sort to replace Pirlos efforts on the creative department. We will see how this turns out.

Regarding Germany lacking CB's which are world class: which team has, besides probably Brazil? I also think that these days the outlays of most teams make it difficult for the CB's, im not sure someone like Ferdinand, Lucio or Ayala would do better.
1. The 3-5-2 has not been proven to be pointless on international level. You cannot deduct the quality of a system from a handful of results of one team.
2. Italy do not play 3-5-2 most of the time. It's one of several systems they can play and has been used less and less over the last two years.
3. Pirlo stopped playing for Milan three years ago.
4. Pirlo's season was not depressing at all. And the climate in Brazil will make games rather slow which suits him well.
5. De Rossi, Montolivo, Verratti and Thiago Motta are all capable of distributing the ball well. So Italy do not rely on Pirlo's ability to pass the ball.

I've explained my point in great detail. But I guess we will have to disagree on that.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
1. The 3-5-2 has not been proven to be pointless on international level. You cannot deduct the quality of a system from a handful of results of one team.
2. Italy do not play 3-5-2 most of the time. It's one of several systems they can play and has been used less and less over the last two years.
3. Pirlo stopped playing for Milan three years ago.
4. Pirlo's season was not depressing at all. And the climate in Brazil will make games rather slow which suits him well.
5. De Rossi, Montolivo, Verratti and Thiago Motta are all capable of distributing the ball well. So Italy do not rely on Pirlo's ability to pass the ball.

I've explained my point in great detail. But I guess we will have to disagree on that.
1. Well there are only some teams which do, none of them compete on the hightest lvel while at least one of them one should
2. Accepted. You may well know better than me.
3. Brainfart....Pirlo is just so...Milan for me :D
4. Well, it kinda was internationally. Haven't seen Serie A
5. Agree to disagree I think. For me, all of them are at least two levels under Pirlo "2012".

ManniKaltz

Today's presser was boring. The most interesting facts: Lahm began a bit of jogging, and Löw lost his driver's licence for 6 months. Role model. :lol:

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
two unnamed players of the german squad were involved in a severe car accident on a racing track, whilst shooting scenes for a mercedes-benz commercial. each of them sat in - as in: did not drive - a mercedes, when one car hit two trespassing tourists, one of whom is severely injured, the other one slightly, so i've read. man, there's new strange gossip every day, who would've thought.

ps. all the best for everyone involved. and keep löw and his squad away from fast cars.

Last edited:

botond

you forgot to say that the PR stunt was on a closed track , and the two should not been there

Blackwidow

The two players - Höwedes was in the car with Pascal Wehrlein (DTM driver) that had the hit, Draxler sat in the car with Nico Rosberg.

They make something like this always in the trainings camps. Two years ago it was with Schumacher and Rosberg. This time part of the team was with the racers, the others were on the golf pitch with Kaymer.

ManniKaltz

two unnamed players of the german squad were involved in a severe car accident on a racing track, whilst shooting scenes for a mercedes-benz commercial. each of them sat in - as in: did not drive - a mercedes, when one car hit two trespassing tourists, one of whom is severely injured, the other one slightly, so i've read. man, there's new strange gossip every day, who would've thought.

ps. all the best for everyone involved. and keep löw and his squad away from fast cars.
Höwedes and Draxler were the players in the car. From what I've heard/read, one of the two injured guys was officially along the street.

ETA: AFAIK, the accident happened when Wehrlein left the street to avoid colliding with a car in front of him.