Gareth Southgate

Bolded are actually things he has consistently done throughout his England reign so far. They might not be to our liking but a World Cup semifinal and two Euros finals are proof that while he gets a lot of things wrong he does get things right, too. As mentioned last night England were crying out for a pacey outlet like Gordon and he fecked up on that, but Shaw over Trippier and bringing on Palmer turned out to be the right decision within the context of how he wanted to see his side play.

Really, though, a lot of the stuff he gets wrong has its roots from his cautious, and at times cowardly, approach to football and for this reason alone he clearly isn't the man to take England to the next level. But tactical nous comes in different flavours and Southgate's happen to be not many people's cup of tea.

Personally we'll agree to disagree. I don't think he reacts very well during games. The subs have been made but frequently take too long. I agree he is just too negative overall which has held the side back. Someone on another thread nailed it by saying the quality of the team has overtaken the quality of him, When he started in the role, the cautious approach worked with the players he had however now there are better players and he doesn't know how to get the best out of them.

The Germany that England beat were ranked 12th in summer 2021.

The Germany that Spain beat are ranked 16th.

But this is England so let's guess which Germany is categorised as "doesn't really count as a topn team" and which one were (apparently) clearly the second best side of the tournament

The salt :lol:

Bolded are actually things he has consistently done throughout his England reign so far. They might not be to our liking but a World Cup semifinal and two Euros finals are proof that while he gets a lot of things wrong he does get things right, too. As mentioned last night England were crying out for a pacey outlet like Gordon and he fecked up on that, but Shaw over Trippier and bringing on Palmer turned out to be the right decision within the context of how he wanted to see his side play.

Really, though, a lot of the stuff he gets wrong has its roots from his cautious, and at times cowardly, approach to football and for this reason alone he clearly isn't the man to take England to the next level. But tactical nous comes in different flavours and Southgate's happen to be not many people's cup of tea.

Have you been watching the same manager? Reacting to changes isn't doing stuff after a goal, it's doing things to prevent the goal once you've noticed things in the match have changed.

The story of the last Euros final was him sitting on his hands watching Italy take control of the game until they inevitably equalised, and then he happily sat through extra-time doing nothing, before giving Sancho and Rashford less than a minute. The Slovakia game this time around was so bad that it almost seemed like he'd have preferred us to go out rather than change anything, before Bellingham saved him with an over-head kick. The Switzerland game was another similar tale, with him watching us be completely ineffective and only responding once we'd actually conceded. The Netherlands game was 1-1 from the 18th minute, but he gave Palmer and Watkins about 10 minutes do something. Last night we equalised, gave Spain a slightly uncomfortable minute or two, then they took back complete control. His response to that was to twiddle his thumbs for 10-15 minutes while he thought about bringing Gallagher and Trippier on to provide some energy at the back, but he waited too long and Spain scored the winner.

This is before we get to him starting Kane in every match, and letting him stink it out for an hour or more before subbing him off, despite knowing he wasn't fully fit, and repeatedly trying to wedge Foden and Bellingham into the side together despite it not once looking like it was going to work.

He used to have a clear plan for how we were going to play, but that's not been remotely the case for this tournament. He picked a squad with no idea of what he wanted them to do, then spent the tournament trying to figure it out, until he was eventually beaten by the first good team we came up against (and even then he was almost bailed out by yet another individual moment).

Started the tournament with the Alexander-Arnold midfield experiment, constantly shuffling Bellingham and Foden around to try and find a solution to play them both together, and about the only thing he appeared to instruct us to do was knock it long (with a team full of players used to playing from the back), except we had no one making runs for the knock-down as he'd left all of those players on the bench or at home.

He pretty much said he doesn't know what to do with the midfield without Kalvin Phillips available, and he quite clearly doesn't have a clue what to do in attack without Kane on top form (and arguably without players like Rashford and Sterling).

Why pick Gordon, Bowen, Wharton when it was obvious he had no intention of using them? Even worse when we were crying out for width and pace down the left, or a no.6 to rotate/keep the ball.

Rashford, Grealish and Maddison have had poor seasons but still better options off the bench... Wonder if part of it was that the former three would be just happy to be there and not kick up a fuss being subs/ or there'd be more cries for them to be playing, should the first choice options be underperforming (as what happened).

Jose would have been great 10-15 years ago but football's moved on.
Southgate, with the tactical nous that got Middlesbrough relegated 15yrs+ ago, has constantly featured in semis and finals of the biggest international tournaments.

Even this version of Jose is Rinus Michels compared to Southgate.

The Germany that England beat were ranked 12th in summer 2021.

The Germany that Spain beat are ranked 16th.

But this is England so let's guess which Germany is categorised as "doesn't really count as a topn team" and which one were (apparently) clearly the second best side of the tournament

Again with rankings and past history nonsense. As mentioned before Belgium are ranked 3rd in the world and they are absolutely fecking shite. This German side is definity superior to the one England beat in 2021 and I've not seen anyone say they don't really count as a top side. I don't what you're trying to say either, aside from a not eonthinly veiled weak assed attempt at an attack on the England team and fans. You seem very bitter about them both for some reason.

Again with rankings and past history nonsense. As mentioned before Belgium are ranked 3rd in the world and they are absolutely fecking shite. This German side is definity superior to the one England beat in 2021 and I've not seen anyone say they don't really count as a top side. I don't what you're trying to say either, aside from a not eonthinly veiled weak assed attempt at an attack on the England team and fans. You seem very bitter about them both for some reason.

Incredible really that anybody could think that Germany was better than the current one.

2. The final exposed him, the fans lost faith and the period from then to the WC QF exit in Qatar felt like treading water.
Qatar was by far the best England side I've seen in my life. A marked improvement of an already great side at Euro 2021. Certainly helped by the fact it took place in November, with players at peak fitness instead of the spent husks of summer tournaments, but they were clearly better in just about every way. They went out to the combo of a Tchouameni-35-yards-worldie and getting Kane'd
After Bayern and United met in the UCL, Henry asked Kane an interesting question in the post-match interview: "Does it bother you that you can't drop deep as much as you used to for Tottenham?" This was in reference to Tuchel asking Kane to hold his position as a target striker more than he did for his previous club because he needed him to stretch the play during the build up of attacks.

Fast forward to EC 24 and that sounds awfully familiar. Only this time, nobody told him to keep his position. Instead, he followed his natural instincts and came short all the time. The same goes for Bellingham and Foden. That lead to the pretty absurd situation that England looked much better in attack after subbing off one of if not the best player (Kane) for a clearly inferior one (Watkins). Southgate could only make it work "indirectly" by pairing the correct profiles of players together but he was unable to provide tactical instructions that create synergies between his star players. That's not a terrible thing per se, lots of international coaches are handling things like this because it is difficult to drill a system into a team within a few weeks. But in the end, he was neither bold enough to bench some of his stars in order to play cohesively nor did he ask them to move in a way that prevented them from occupying the same spaces all the time.

Rooney recently referenced Guardiola as a cause for the boring games at the EC and he isn't totally off, IMO. In a way, Guardiola is highly risk-averse just like Southgate since he only wants his players to make easy low-risk passes. But Guardiola has a clear plan how players should position themselves to progress the ball through the lines and create chances. Southgate's approach isn't nearly as wholistic as this. Guardiola's teams for instance always make runs inbehind and they have the necessary width. He lets his full backs push high or let them roam into midfield areas so that CMs can attack the box. Gündogan for example had scored 30 league goals in his whole career, then went on to score 29 EPL goals over three seasons because Guardiola asked him to make runs into the box after the full backs pushed into a CM role. Stretching the play and providing a threat inbehind is very important for a possession oriented system and Southgate neither fielded players who try this naturally nor instructed the ones he picked to do it anyway. As a result, England had lots of possession against teams that accepted their greater individual quality but knew they lacked the cohesiveness to constantly break down a low defensive block but were completely dominated the moment they faced a strong team - until Southgate subbed in threat inbehind with Watkins.

I think there would have been multiple ways to fix this, either by making tough decisions and prioritizing natural/instinctive cohesiveness over quality (Watkins for Kane) or, what I would have preferred as an England fan) tactical instructions. You can't turn Kane into an Mbappe but you can ask him to hold his position more. Or if he drops into midfield, Bellingham could have been the ideal player to make runs into the vacated space like he does for Madrid. Foden is also a player that played very vertically not too long ago for City. And you could ask your full backs to push up higher, especially with the recovery speed and athleticism of Walker. That would pin the opponent's defense back and would allow Trent in midfield some time on the ball, not exposing his lack of pressing resistancy.

If you ask me, I think it is a testament to the quality of your players that you made it to the final (again). They get criticized a lot but I don't really saw bad performances by any of them. Nobody constantly fecked up promising situations or made the wrong decisions (at least not overaveragely), they simply didn't get into threatening spaces and that is a clear sign that something with the tactics is wrong. Personally, I wouldn't be disappointed if England sacks Southgate and appoints a competent coach although that would IMO drastically reduce our own chances of winning WC 24 - but seeing this amount of talent being wasted by a coach who simply isn't good enough is frustrating even as a neutral.
Whoah. Spot on
I disagree, tactical nous is using your squad to form the best team, reacting in game to changes, targeting a team's weaknesses and having a clear form of play and plan. He has none of that. Just because he makes subs (still takes too long!), it doesn't show he has tactical nous. Not sure how anyone can describe he has tactical nous after England's performances in this tournament. For example against Spain he decided to play low block without any pace outlet. He had no plan to beat their press.
You know, I don't even disagree with your point(but the other poster is also not wrong), but it sure would help if you actually paid attention to the games you talk about :lol: England didn't defend in a low block yesterday. Arguably it's why they lost the game. Had they played in a low block they might have been able to take it to penalties and win
Really, though, a lot of the stuff he gets wrong has its roots from his cautious, and at times cowardly, approach to football and for this reason alone he clearly isn't the man to take England to the next level.
I mean this is provably wrong. The part where being cautious is the problem. Lots of winning managers are. Hell, even Spain had a tendency to just bunker down and protect the result at these euros after going ahead

Southgate did good in 3 tournaments, where england were unlucky. This one was an abomination, but I'm not sure it had anything to do with him being cautious and all to do with him having no clue

Qatar was by far the best England side I've seen in my life. A marked improvement of an already great side at Euro 2021. Certainly helped by the fact it took place in November, with players at peak fitness instead of the spent husks of summer tournaments, but they were clearly better in just about every way. They went out to the combo of a Tchouameni-35-yards-worldie and getting Kane'd

Whoah. Spot on

You know, I don't even disagree with your point(but the other poster is also not wrong), but it sure would help if you actually paid attention to the games you talk about :lol: England didn't defend in a low block yesterday. Arguably it's why they lost the game. Had they played in a low block they might have been able to take it to penalties and win

I mean this is provably wrong. The part where being cautious is the problem. Lots of winning managers are. Hell, even Spain had a tendency to just bunker down and protect the result at these euros after going ahead

Southgate did good in 3 tournaments, where england were unlucky. This one was an abomination, but I'm not sure it had anything to do with him being cautious and all to do with him having no clue

I mean in the first half they were playing a low block, even the pundits and commentators said so. In the second half, it got a little bit more open.

Let's try Potter. England need to play attacking football with the talents at their disposal.

England will be one of the favourite again at WC. With the right coach and style of play I can see England doing better than Euro.

They play so badly in the final and Spain barely beat them.

Why not. He did WAY better than this at 3 tournaments. He absolutely could have done better than this. Should have done better than this
Way better than getting to a final and losing 2-1 to a Spain side that just eliminated every top team in the competition?

Rankings have been brought up as a ball-park for the quality of opposition England have faced (which is about all they're good for), but it's taken by some as if they're some absolute measure of quality (or that they're being used that way when they aren't).

The reality is that under Southgate, England have reached two Euros finals, a World Cup semi-final, and a World Cup quarter-final, and the only top 10 ranked teams they've beaten have been an okay Denmark and a lackluster Netherlands. The only other scalp of note is the 12th ranked Germany mentioned in your quote, but as we all know, they weren't actually that good.

I mean in the first half they were playing a low block, even the pundits and commentators said so. In the second half, it got a little bit more open.
In the first half england played a rather fluid defensive scheme, which yes included a low block at times(and high press at others). They did it really well, too, kept Spain at arm's lenght easily. Then they come out in the second half in a midblock and proceed to get torn apart...

Way better than getting to a final and losing 2-1 to a Spain side that just eliminated every top team in the competition?
Yes. At the last Euros they made the final too, lost on penalties, and that team conceded 2 goals all tournament, both off set pieces, conceded two real chances to their opponents across 7 games - the second being Italy's goal, off a corner kick - breezed past the group, beat Germany, dismantled Ukraine and battered a very good Denmark for 120 minutes. Then played a near flawless first half against Italy in the final, and even with a few mistakes ultimately still largely kept Italy at bay. Game ended on penalties afterall. In Qatar they smashed teams left and right and got football'd by France after an even game

This time around they got outplayed by Slovakia and Switzerland, had all of 2 decent halves of football in 7 games. The irony is they once again got most things right and played well in the first half, only to fall apart in the second. Just like Croatia and Italy...

You create your own luck by winning games and getting in positions where things are more likely to happen for you.

You could argue that England would have been better off playing the likes of Germany who would be more open without any real quality or organisation, or France who hadn't scored a goal in open play all tournament until their semi against Spain and relied heavily on a broken nosed Mbappe.

The format of this Euros means you can go through the group stage without winning a game, where's the incentive to play open when it's huge for a team like Slovenia (population of 1.2m people) to just get out of the group? If you can't go toe to toe with bigger teams, at least be hard to beat and stay in the game. Most teams have done that in this competition and some other teams have been a lot worse than England have been.
:lol:

Yeah, no.

Bobby Robson.

Also (wrt what was discussed above) there are several between Robson and Clough: Paisley and Fagan, obviously. But also Wilkinson and Kendall.

ETA: We're talking about major trophies *, of course, not any trophy (in which case there are several others).

* League/Europe.

ETA 2: If you count the FA Cup as a major trophy up until the mid 90s (which seems a fair cutoff point), you can add:

Lyall, Burkinshaw, Big Ron, Sillett/Curtis, Gould, Venables, Royle.

Okay fair enough, I was referring to league titles, should have made that clearer.

I also forgot about Steve McLaren with FC Twente!!

I guess my point is prolific trophy laden success is a rarity amongst English managers.

FA cup wise, Redknapp won it last in circa 2008

I’m going to hold all of you asking him to step down personally accountable if he ends up at us in November.

How often did Pickford get the ball when England had an attacking throw or corner? The players are clearly under instructions to keep the ball at all costs and play the same football every other nation plays

I personally think Southgate will be quite happy about the final. I'm pretty sure whenever I hear him talk about football there's always a "we had (x) possession and we almost got a result at the end" and suffers from that same managers curse of thinking a draw is a "result" to be happy with as long as it serves your aims.

Ferguson quotes like "I always used to say to players at half-time, 'Be patient. The last fifteen minutes throw the kitchen sink at them. It's worth a gamble'. You are going to lose the game anyway. There is nothing better than when you get to that last fifteen minutes and you actually win the game late on. The fans are going out of the gates I gave it a try and it worked.".

I just don't think Southgate is a "throw the kitchen sink at them and we win" sort of guy. He will be fine with second place, and that's why he will never win anything.
Yet he has Pickford booting it long every time he touches it.

Its fact not "PR". France suffered the SELF sane issues all tournament long. The issue I always have with fans of your ilk is you conflate internstional ball with club ball. Yet it hinges heavily on the personnel you have available. On top of the fact you consistently pretend your national team is packed with the best footballers known to man in all departments thus EVERY coach is automatically "rubbish" for not playing City football consistently with them. I fully expect the point to go over your head and you to reply with the joke narrative of "defending Gareth" :rolleyes:

I don't matter how often you repeat this joke mantra in a mirror. It doesn't matter and will NEVER work that way. But because as per usual y'all pretend every nation you face is "rubbish in all departments and all their styles of plan.

Y'all think you are entitled to boss any side you come across inspite of inherent weaknesses you already have as a team.

Thats why you always come as "a surprise" to y'all why can't be feee free flowing vs park the bus merchants who scored you first (Iceland)for example. Because you never pay any attention to what the opponents bring to the table. Every match vs the big boys your attitude is "lads is tottenham". That is why even before the match nation's your football covering outlet's had combined XIs with players like Kane in the combined XI ahead of their Spanish counterparts from over the length of the tournament. :lol:
What a load of bollocks

Average rankings of teams European runners up have beat

England - E24 23.6
France - WC22 12.6
England - E20 - 15.3
Croatia - W18 - 21
France E16 - 15.6

So yeah, 23.6 average is the highest. But our 2020 runner up pathway was harder than France in 2016 or Croatia in 2018. This narrative that England have had exceptionally easy routes to finals, doesn't stand up

Average rankings of teams European runners up have beat

England - E24 23.6
France - WC22 12.6
England - E20 - 15.3
Croatia - W18 - 21
France E16 - 15.6

So yeah, 23.6 average is the highest. But our 2020 runner up pathway was harder than France in 2016 or Croatia in 2018. This narrative that England have had exceptionally easy routes to finals, doesn't stand up

You’re using current rankings rather than rankings at the time aren’t you? Current rankings are effected by the results at Euro 21 plus World Cup and Euro Qualifiers since.

England’s average ranking for the 6 game run to the final in 2021 was 24 which is the worst on your list.

Group Stage Matches
  • Croatia
  • Scotland
  • Czech Republic

Knockout Stage Matches
  • Round of 16: Germany
  • Quarter-finals: Ukraine
  • Semi-finals: Denmark
FIFA Rankings (June 2021)
  1. Croatia: 14
  2. Scotland: 44
  3. Czech Republic: 40
  4. Germany: 12
  5. Ukraine: 24
  6. Denmark: 10

14 + 44 + 40 + 12 + 24 + 10 = 144

144 / 6 = 24

I can’t be bothered to do the rest but I’d suspect you got them wrong too seeing as your methods are flawed.

He was pretty bad really. But then you have to ask where are the defensive midfielders who can take care of the ball. Where are the left backs, where are the wingers.
If your dont have them and are left playing park the bus, play on the counter, take the few chances that come your way and be hard to beat then im not sure he made many mistakes.
Whoever replaces him wont find it easy unless a lot of unknowns like wharton are unusually good for their age and experience. Otherwise they're taking a lot of stick for dropping Rice, a stopgap in the role really, for a kid learning the game.

He was pretty bad really. But then you have to ask where are the defensive midfielders who can take care of the ball. Where are the left backs, where are the wingers.
If your dont have them and are left playing park the bus, play on the counter, take the few chances that come your way and be hard to beat then im not sure he made many mistakes.
Whoever replaces him wont find it easy unless a lot of unknowns like wharton are unusually good for their age and experience. Otherwise they're taking a lot of stick for dropping Rice, a stopgap in the role really, for a kid learning the game.
The whole park the bus thing without pace up front was the most bizarre, almost criminal tactic. Especially against Spain. We allowed them to play such a high line and step into our half because our only pace was Saka who was at wing back so had to play from deep too. Kane was dropping next to Rice at times and we were lumping the ball up to Bellingham who was heading it over to nobody or down to a sea of red shirts. Spain couldn’t have been any more comfortable.

We gifted them an hour head start in the match playing like this. Any competent manager would have spotted it straight away and made 2 if not 3 substitutions bringing on pace merchants to stretch Spain wide and deep and give our midfield and defence a chance to step up.

The whole park the bus thing without pace up front was the most bizarre, almost criminal tactic. Especially against Spain. We allowed them to play such a high line and step into our half because our only pace was Saka who was at wing back so had to play from deep too. Kane was dropping next to Rice at times and we were lumping the ball up to Bellingham who was heading it over to nobody or down to a sea of red shirts. Spain couldn’t have been any more comfortable.

We gifted them an hour head start in the match playing like this. Any competent manager would have spotted it straight away and made 2 if not 3 substitutions bringing on pace merchants to stretch Spain wide and deep and give our midfield and defence a chance to step up.
He should have dropped Kane for Watkins with the benefit of hindsight. But how much difference would that one player make for stretching a team. Gordon is the only pace merchant in the squad and hes a rookie who took 6 months to settle at newcastle. I can criticise the squad selection (it was rubbish) but its hard to blame him for not turning to Rashford. I mean it probably feeds back into my argument that the squad has a few holes and the manager isn't the only problem
Foden, Bellingham and Kane wont stretch teams but they'll still get chances around the box and from set pieces. They're a decent bet to just pull a goal out of nothing. I mean you look at set pieces and you can start seeing a good reason to shoehorn Trippier in there.
If im going to play shit on a stick football i might do the same things as Southgate. I'm starting to convince myself that he isn't completely shit and hopeless.

I see he's come out about Kane:

The Southgate bingo - happy to throw players under the bus despite his "nice guy" image, and highlights his ineptitude - why play him so much when you know you've got very capable back-ups to him?

He would make a great politician. Can see which way the wind blows and change with it.

Yet he has Pickford booting it long every time he touches it.
Yeah that's what's completely insane about it. We have possession at kickoff so what do we do? Give it to Pickford to boot it long in the hope we win it again... In the centre... Where we had the ball to begin with....

Not really. Engand were a mediocre side, Spain were a great side, that's all there was to it. It's not like England really troubled Spain at any point in the second half, they scored a goal from an individual mistake, a great shot and some luck, and then Spain took a couple minutes to shake off the shock and went back to shredding the tired, mediocre team they'd been tearing apart the entire second half. England lost this game in June, if not March even. For this game, it was either shithouse it and luck or play for penalties. England were never going to play well enough to beat Spain on merit at this point

And yes, this was Southgate's fault

Not really. Engand were a mediocre side, Spain were a great side, that's all there was to it. It's not like England really troubled Spain at any point in the second half, they scored a goal from an individual mistake, a great shot and some luck, and then Spain took a couple minutes to shake off the shock and went back to shredding the tired, mediocre team they'd been tearing apart the entire second half. England lost this game in June, if not March even. For this game, it was either shithouse it and luck or play for penalties. England were never going to play well enough to beat Spain on merit at this point

And yes, this was Southgate's fault
By all means enjoy your win, but that’s arrogance and hyperbole. It’s a very good Spain side, you were the best team in the tournament and deserved the trophy, there is absolutely no disputing that. You’re talking about that side as if it’s the Spain of 08-12 or Brazil of 58-62 or West Germany 70-76 and it’s got a lot to prove before it reaches that sort of status.

Despite Southgate giving you an hours head start with awful selection and tactics, you were still a goal line clearance away from extra time, conceding two goals.

Southgate set up with a deep back line, his striker playing deep and no pace to provide an outlet. Every single long ball was either to your defenders or to Kane or Bellingham who had nobody running off them. It was tactical suicide and couldn’t have given you a more comfortable match, as soon as we introduced pace the game was far more even but as usual with Southgate it was far too late for that.

The England squad has multiple Champions League winners, players that have learned their trade under Guardiola, Klopp, Ancelloti and are well versed in playing in possession systems against high press, playing a high pressing game deep in the opponents half, it’s what they do week in week out. If they were given the keys to take the game to you in a modern progressive system they have every ability to outplay you.

Unfortunately I’ll be surprised if the FA ever have the cajones to hire a manager that is capable of installing a system that plays to these strengths.

By all means enjoy your win, but that’s arrogance and hyperbole. It’s a very good Spain side, you were the best team in the tournament and deserved the trophy, there is absolutely no disputing that. You’re talking about that side as if it’s the Spain of 08-12 or Brazil of 58-62 or West Germany 70-76 and it’s got a lot to prove before it reaches that sort of status.

Despite Southgate giving you an hours head start with awful selection and tactics, you were still a goal line clearance away from extra time, conceding two goals.

Southgate set up with a deep back line, his striker playing deep and no pace to provide an outlet. Every single long ball was either to your defenders or to Kane or Bellingham who had nobody running off them. It was tactical suicide and couldn’t have given you a more comfortable match, as soon as we introduced pace the game was far more even but as usual with Southgate it was far too late for that.

The England squad has multiple Champions League winners, players that have learned their trade under Guardiola, Klopp, Ancelloti and are well versed in playing in possession systems against high press, playing a high pressing game deep in the opponents half, it’s what they do week in week out. If they were given the keys to take the game to you in a modern progressive system they have every ability to outplay you.

Unfortunately I’ll be surprised if the FA ever have the cajones to hire a manager that is capable of installing a system that plays to these strengths.
I'm sorry, did you actually watch the game? England didn't set up with a deep back line at all - hell, just watch Spain's goals - and the game was never even in the second half. England scored against the run of play, with their 3rd shot of the half, 5 minutes after Lamine Yamal had a big chance to kill the game off and 5 before he had another. england's first half was very good defensively while offering very little in attack, sure, but what makes you think England, this England, even could attack Spain? Did you watch them play? Sure, maybe if you bench Kane, Foden and Bellingham and throw in Gordon, Watkins and Palmer - in their first start at the tournament, in the final - you might have been able to do something different. Maybe. You're still throwing a make shift team with very little experience at this level and playing together and with this team and for this manager, against the best team in Europe. You are so unlikely to win that

Bolded is point I was making when I said England lost the game in June. What you say England could/should have done is something they should have been working on, and know how to do, before the Euros began. Not something they can conjure up in 4 days for the final against a team like Spain (and no, they're not some all time great side, but they are very much a great side still). Not that it couldn't have given england a worse chance to try, I just disagree that it would have made much difference. It was simply too late

Those games happened in the last 2 weeks, and it's easy to remember because nothing much happened across them...

You, and "most observers", either have shit memory or you don't understand what you were seeing

It's very clearly not the tactic. It's very clearly down to England being mediocre, and thus not doing anything well. Netherlands game aside, when they went behind immediately, in the other games england only started to look more threatening late on because of the combination of desperately throwing attacking players on the pitch plus rivals dropping back to protect the lead. And they were never particularly threatening either, because, again, they were mediocre

I literally said this. What you fail to understand is "play better" doesn't mean play like Spain. Play better, for this team, most likely takes the form of how they played in Qatar

I never said England should play like Spain. Perhaps you confused my using Spain as an example of a team whose manager sets up the team well to get the best out of the players he has, as me saying that England should copy Spain. Not what I was saying.

On the other stuff, it's clear you're unwilling to change your mind no matter how wrong you are. Seems like you view it as a verbal contest. Pointless to continue.

... maybe if you bench Kane, Foden and Bellingham and throw in Gordon, Watkins and Palmer - in their first start at the tournament, in the final - you might have been able to do something different. Maybe. You're still throwing a make shift team with very little experience at this level and playing together and with this team and for this manager, against the best team in Europe. You are so unlikely to win that

Bolded is point I was making when I said England lost the game in June. What you say England could/should have done is something they should have been working on, and know how to do, before the Euros began. Not something they can conjure up in 4 days for the final against a team like Spain (and no, they're not some all time great side, but they are very much a great side still). Not that it couldn't have given england a worse chance to try, I just disagree that it would have made much difference. It was simply too late
Only just seen this post because I'm thinking about Southgates next job for some reason and wondering which bottom half side will take him on (probably Everton), and completely agree with you 100%. The time to play Palmer, Watkins and Gordon was in the pre tournament friendlies.

I think England COULD -win- against Spain but they'd never, ever -outplay- them with Southgate as manager. He wouldn't even set out to do that - we saw as much in the final with the endless shuttling back to Pickford.

But I think maybe now Southgate has the nous and gravitas to at least do a similar job to Moyes at club level.

He could be a good shout for Everton when his cautious tactics - but then again Everton don't have world-class attacking options to bail them out against the run of play, like what happened in almost every tournament knockout game for England.