Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No reliable sources reported advanced interest. ETH always plays with a left footed CB, so the links with Timber belong in the "linked because of Ajax/nationality category".
There's no suxh thing as advanced interest. Either you're interested or you're not. All reliable sources said United were after Timber which makes sense as Ten Hag has become a huge fan of his. Just because United didn't make an offer doesn't mean there was no interest. With a reliable sources confirming Uniteds interest, its more likely United didn't make an official offer as it already became clear he was not going to move.

Speaking about Timber does he actually get in the first XI before De Ligt or Van Dijk? Think he might be surprised by how little game time he gets at the WC...
I don't think he will get a lot of game time, unless there are injuries.

Ok Hirst reported it, my guess is based on the meeting in London. I still don't believe it. The high tier Ajax journos (Vi and Verweij) were incredibly silent.
Verweij did mention it... this article mentions it too

https://metro.co.uk/2022/06/16/jurrien-timber-set-to-reje

Yes it's the Metro, but this quote in particular comes from something Verweij said:

And Dutch reporter Mike Verweij says Timber has determined that it’s too much of a risk to move to Old Trafford at this point in time and he is minded to stay at Ajax.

Timber was interested, then after van Gaal got involved he backed off in favour of staying at Ajax. The interest was real and i imagine we were close to signing him but he decided to stay in the end. Just proves that what a player says at the end of the season isn't always what their intentions actually are.

Actually I've not seen it described as a circus too often, bloody stupid and tedious to see though. It would be a very crap and unentertaining circus.

It's a truly dull saga, only made better because he's a class player and when we finally get the deal done he'll improve us massively.
I wouldn’t say massively. Every player that can run and is intelligent would improve us. For me, I think he is overrated and not worth that money or effort to get. But I do really hope that I’m wrong.
Coming, going, staying, not staying, coming, going, going, coming, staying. Make up your mind. Or in my opinion, lets walk away from this.

Last edited:
In a moral sense they owe it to him and that’s why he won’t leave without getting the deferred part paid up but it seems Barca don’t think they legally owe him the money if he leaves. As far as I can tell, the money they morally owe him only becomes legally due later in his contract if he stays. If that is the position Barca is sticking to then it seems logical that FDJ will say “fine, I’ll stay then”.

If his contract is structured that way then you would be right and strictly speaking Barcelona wouldn't owe him anything. Still from my perspective Barcelona are the ones with their backs against the wall. De Jong seems to prefer to stay in Barcelona while getting paid those huge wages that remain in the rest of his contract, so he really doesn't have to do anything or move clubs. Then Barcelona would have to do something in order for him to agree to leave, because if they don't they will lose the money from his transfer while also having to honor the rest of his contract.

If I had to guess I'd say Barcelona will end up agreeing to his demands in order to sell him as they really need to cash on him.

There's no suxh thing as advanced interest. Either you're interested or you're not. All reliable sources said United were after Timber which makes sense as Ten Hag has become a huge fan of his. Just because United didn't make an offer doesn't mean there was no interest. With a reliable sources confirming Uniteds interest, its more likely United didn't make an official offer as it already became clear he was not going to move.
This is absolute nonsense.
Clubs talk to players and their agents even if they're not interested in immediately signing them. Maybe its for a later transfer window or the players are not first choice. Real Madrid and Camavinga and Mbappe for example. Inter and Onana, etc.
Verweij did mention it... this article mentions it too

https://metro.co.uk/2022/06/16/jurrien-timber-set-to-reje

Yes it's the Metro, but this quote in particular comes from something Verweij said:

Timber was interested, then after van Gaal got involved he backed off in favour of staying at Ajax. The interest was real and i imagine we were close to signing him but he decided to stay in the end. Just proves that what a player says at the end of the season isn't always what their intentions actually are.
Note how the "Van Gaal dissuaded him" narrative isnt in any of the credible reports. It's just tabloid stuff you've convinced yourself is true.

Clubs talk to players and their agents even if they're not interested in immediately signing them. Maybe its for a later transfer window or the players are not first choice. Real Madrid and Camavinga and Mbappe for example. Inter and Onana, etc.

Note how the "Van Gaal dissuaded him" narrative isnt in any of the credible reports. It's just tabloid stuff you've convinced yourself is true.
But that wasn't your point was it... you said that Timber was never a target for United and he was never going to leave, even though you've been proved wrong.
He was a target and he WAS considering leaving, but decided against it. However that came about, he decided against leaving and we moved on quickly

Note how the "Van Gaal dissuaded him narrative" isnt in any of the credible reports. It's just tabloid stuff you've convinced yourself is true.
It was reported by Telegraaf and VI journalists; who are as reliable as it gets relating to Ajax. So I dont know what you're talking about. They all reported about Uniteds interest in Timber and all reported that v.Gaal advised against it or at least advised Timber he needs to secure that he's playing.

I think you're the one thats persuaded himself into denying the obvious here.

But that wasn't your point was it... you said that Timber was never a target for United and he was never going to leave, even though you've been proved wrong.
He was a target and he WAS considering leaving, but decided against it. However that came about, he decided against leaving and we moved on quickly
So the Van Gaal narrative is just made up stuff? That was what prompted this conversation.

Yes, we were interested but it was never at any sort of advanced stage. I may have miswritten earlier. I got really annoyed when everyone was buying the goldbridge/tabloid narrative that we were negotiating this deal. That never happened and I got a lot of stick in the Timber thread for pointing out why this deal was unlikely to happen.

It was reported by Telegraaf and VI journalists; who are as reliable as it gets relating to Ajax. So I dont know what you're talking about. They all reported about Uniteds interest in Timber and all reported that v.Gaal advised against it or at least advised Timber he needs to secure that he's playing.

I think you're the one thats persuaded himself into denying the obvious here.
No one credible reported the Van Gaal dissuaded him narrative. Youre making stuff up. Link or it didnt happen. And no, I don't have a source that it didn't happen.

Edit: googling a Dutch source will give you voetbalprimeur quoting Van der Kraan, who'se not credible and who quite clearly is taking his opportunity to seek attention on the back of the Dutch connection. He's on talksports with Goldshite ffs. Verweij and Freek Jansen did not report this story.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to next season. I'm not expecting a huge turn around simply because that's what should happen but I think I see a new togetherness in players and staff alike. Having previously questioned the value of the academy, I see a few very bright prospects emerging and although I know this is not new, let's hope that they get more than the perfunctory nod after the tour is over.
Last season was a desperate low by what used to be our high standards and I think that like the previous six seasons, most of this stemmed from a lack of (a mixture of management, structure, tactics, confidence and ability). It's very easy to apportion blame, especially to players because they are readily available and some of that blame is well justified. The reasons for failure becomes a little more obvious when the five subject matters listed above are looked at in detail because when they are malfunctioning to a certain degree it will have a large effect on results.
I believe Ten Hag is a most determined individual who won't suffer Adonis types at any price and players would only challenge at their peril. Let's hope this is a new dawn and the sun will return to Old Trafford for the fans to bask in.

So the Van Gaal narrative is just made up stuff? That was what prompted this conversation.

Yes, we were interested but it was never at any sort of advanced stage. I may have miswritten earlier. I got really annoyed when everyone was buying the goldbridge/tabloid narrative that we were negotiating this deal. That never happened and I got a lot of stick in the Timber thread for pointing out why this deal was unlikely to happen.

No one credible reported the Van Gaal dissuaded him narrative. Youre making stuff up. Link or it didnt happen. And no, I don't have a source that it didn't happen.

Edit: googling a Dutch source will give you voetbalprimeur quoting Van der Kraan, who'se not credible and who quite clearly is taking his opportunity to seek attention on the back of the Dutch connection. He's on talksports with Goldshite ffs. Verweij and Freek Jansen did not report this story.
They reported Uniteds interest, which you were denying in the first place.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/834141682/louis-van-gaal-waarschuwt-begeerde-jurrien-timber

Van Gaal saying in a press conference Timber should think about his perspective before such a move.

Yes, not Verweij, not Jansen, but also not bullshit and you k know it.

It's clear United were interested and it's clear Timber decided not to make the move after those international games. What impact v.Gaals words had on it exactly is something we'll never know but suggesting there was no interest at all is quite silly.

A quick google of Verweij Timber Man United brings you to this quote:

“Meanwhile Jurrien Timber would have been a very welcoming arrival, but Louis van Gaal has advised him to stay at Ajax. The chances of him still moving to Manchester United are very small,” said Mike Verweij as per Telegraaf.

I can't find the dutch quote as i don't speak dutch so i wouldn't know what it was anyway, but he did say van Gaal dissuaded him from coming to United

So we're just filling up posts with anything but talk about fdj, that's one way to get to the magical 1k pages where he signs. Might even have to go 21k pages for this to happen.
I think even the Spanish bs press would be hard pressed to come up with enough rubbish to pad that many pages! :eek::lol:

However you try to spin it or back track, Utd most certainly were interested in Timber. If Timber had agreed to come, this transfer would have happened.

However you try to spin it or back track, Utd most certainly were interested in Timber. If Timber had agreed to come, this transfer would have happened.
Pretty sure that as soon as Timber said he wasn't interested, we moved right on to Martinez who obviously jumped at the chance of coming

I realise Im a part of it, but this FdJ saga becomes so exhausting, we're now talking about Timber in this thread. :lol:

Why are we arguing over Timber? It seemed pretty obvious we went for him, he was coming and then LVG involved himself. Was reported everywhere. Now we have Martinez and no one cares anymore.

What’s the latest on FDJ? When will the levers free up cash to pay him off? When do Barca play? Will he start and send this thread into meltdown again? At what point does @Berbaclass assume control of redcafe? Will it be a hostile take over? Is he really FDJ in disguise? :lol:

Why are you so against the idea that van gaal influenced his decision? It's getting weird. Everyone knows the guy HATES us with a passion and probably spends every waking moment thinking up ways to screw us over.

Why are you so against the idea that van gaal influenced his decision? It's getting weird. Everyone knows the guy HATES us with a passion and probably spends every waking moment thinking up ways to screw us over.
It's very clear that he despises us and would love the chance to screw us over at any opportunity.

Barcelona will not have to sell him with all these levers I feel, they will find a way.

Barcelona will not have to sell him with all these levers I feel, they will find a way.
If they were to find a way, they already would have.
Levers or not, they have to get him off the books to have more wiggle room with FFP. They said they can register all players, but does that mean all players including ANY new signing in the future, or just the ones they have now. They also want Silva and Kounde, so they might need to get rid of de Jong to ensure they can register them. I really don't know at all, but it's clear they want him out. If they didn't they'd have cancelled the deal themselves when they knew things were slightly better

Why are we arguing over Timber? It seemed pretty obvious we went for him, he was coming and then LVG involved himself. Was reported everywhere. Now we have Martinez and no one cares anymore.

What’s the latest on FDJ? When will the levers free up cash to pay him off? When do Barca play? Will he start and send this thread into meltdown again? At what point does @Berbaclass assume control of redcafe? Will it be a hostile take over? Is he really FDJ in disguise? :lol:
The coup has already begun :wenger:

They dont, I guess if they want to buy more players, then they do. But if he is not a starter under Xavi, then he will be way too expensive to sit on the bench. Strange situation

They dont, I guess if they want to buy more players, then they do. But if he is not a starter under Xavi, then he will be way too expensive to sit on the bench. Strange situation
I think he's still a starter. They will offload some non starters and brainwash their current players to reduce their salary or re-package it and all sort of bullocks.

I think he's still a starter. They will offload some non starters and brainwash their current players to reduce their salary or re-package it and all sort of bullocks.
I doubt it, and most likely, he wont start in his favorite position either

He lost his starting position last year didn't he? If they truly want Silva then surely he isn't a starter anymore.

Nah, we’ve already had stories of Biscuits and Gavi/Pedri being the first choice on the team sheet. He will have to fight it out with Kessie etc for a subs spot. Especially if they want to punish him for making their plans difficult.

If my aunt had balls, she'd by my uncle.

You're assuming he was our first choice for the CB position this summer window. I have my doubts he was, since he's right footed and we don't have a left footed CB. He'd be signing him to play out of position initially, which I know the Caf is obsessed with, but makes him being our priority target highly unlikely.

Again, my point was never to debate our interest in Timber, it was to point out that LVG talking him out of a move is just juicy tabloid talk.

A quick google of Verweij Timber Man United brings you to this quote:

I can't find the dutch quote as i don't speak dutch so i wouldn't know what it was anyway, but he did say van Gaal dissuaded him from coming to United
Through Sports-Gates.com... I honestly can't find the original. Every Dutch source I see mentions Van der Kraan. I'm going to assume it doesn't exist. And the Dutch poster below can't find it either. Coincidence?

They reported Uniteds interest, which you were denying in the first place.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/834141682/louis-van-gaal-waarschuwt-begeerde-jurrien-timber

Van Gaal saying in a press conference Timber should think about his perspective before such a move.

Yes, not Verweij, not Jansen, but also not bullshit and you k know it.

It's clear United were interested and it's clear Timber decided not to make the move after those international games. What impact v.Gaals words had on it exactly is something we'll never know but suggesting there was no interest at all is quite silly.
Again, I misremembered. I honestly didn't pay a lot of attention to the saga, because it was quite obvious to me we weren't going for him that fast. what I meant to say is we were never at any sort of advanced stage with deal unlike what all tabloids and fan channels had people believing.

Yes, I recall the LVG presser. Which is completely different from the myth that he wanted to come and LVG talked him out of it, which was the leading tabloid narrative. Again it's a juicy story that covers up the fact they were wrong this deal advanced. And it's quite obvious to see why ETH's first choice CB signing would be a natural left footer for the LCB position, given our squad that contains no left footers and also has Rafa fecking Varane. ETH's targets actually make a lot of sense. They're predictable.

You're wrong. Other people brought it up and we got sidetracked. My first post in this discussion was literally questioning the belief that LVG convinced Timber he shouldn't go to United.
I'm not "against" the idea, I'm just saying there's no evidence for it happening. The narrative makes a lot of sense when gossip merchants, like Mark Goldshite need a reason for why they're putting out Timber thumbnails for 3 weeks straight when nothing is happening. This a good story to make up based on his presser comments that angers United fans and gets clicks. I wish I could have taken credit for the idea.

LVG is an arrogant prick, but I find it highly unlike he would alter his genuine advice for one of his players just to spite United. He's too professional for that.

I'm not "against" the idea, I'm just saying there's no evidence for it happening. The narrative makes a lot of sense when gossip merchants, like Mark Goldshite need a reason for why they're putting out Timber thumbnails for 3 weeks straight when nothing is happening. This a good story to make up based on his presser comments that angers United fans and gets clicks. I wish I could have taken credit for the idea.
To be fair to Goldbridge, he spells out where the news comes from on his news shows. Its only in the last few months he has mentioned he has heard from sources of certain things which actually as a whole have been right, e.g. Mentioned early Ronaldo being out of the team in one of the games, Nunez to Liverpool on CL final night, Sterling to Chelsea very early.

It's obvious he is fairly well connected and on some WhatsApp groups that we'd all like to be in.

He never tries to claim he has direct sources. Stephen Howson on the other hand will make out like he has direct feeds into the club. But its also obvious he is fairly well connected as well. The big difference is Howson will rarely mention sources or even talk around them.

Goldbridge definitely gets too much stick. Naturally he moans a lot and gets animated on a regular basis, but it's a tough job trying to create hours of content every day.

But if you can put that aside he generally does a good job, works hard to track down all the sources, will state where sources are less reliable.

To be fair to Goldbridge, he spells out where the news comes from on his news shows. Its only in the last few months he has mentioned he has heard from sources of certain things which actually as a whole have been right, e.g. Mentioned early Ronaldo being out of the team in one of the games, Nunez to Liverpool on CL final night, Sterling to Chelsea very early.

It's obvious he is fairly well connected and on some WhatsApp groups that we'd all like to be in.

He never tries to claim he has direct sources. Stephen Howson on the other hand will make out like he has direct feeds into the club. But its also obvious he is fairly well connected as well. The big difference is Howson will rarely mention sources or even talk around them.

Goldbridge definitely gets too much stick. Naturally he moans a lot and gets animated on a regular basis, but it's a tough job trying to create hours of content every day.

But if you can put that aside he generally does a good job, works hard to track down all the sources, will state where sources are less reliable.
Yeah I agree. His videos and stuff might be clickbait but that's just how Youtube works. I think he's fairly balanced/rational for the most part. He can be a negative cnut though sometimes.

Absolutely nothing new on him for days. Is that a good thing? I hope him going on tour won't prevent us from getting this done either quickly or move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.