Ferdinand or Vidic in their pomp

vuc

First Team Serb
If you had to choose one to build your defence around who would it be? I don't mean one complimenting the other, or both of them working as a partnership, just one or the other.

I only want debate here, no flaming me because I dare make this thread in the first place.

If possible, the mods can even make this into a poll.

Both are brilliant for us but, in a number of big international tournaments, Rio's looked like the best defender in the world, let alone at United.

Vidic is closer to his "pomp" now than Vidic but you're still more likely to see a top class defensive performance when you pair Rio up with A.N. Other than his defensive partner.

Vidic has been one half of a few defensive horror shows this season but I can't remember Rio being on the pitch during any really poor displays, defensively.

I may dig out some stats to back this up...

Vidic is closer to his "pomp" now than Vidic but you're still more likely to see a top class defensive performance when you pair Rio up with A.N. Other than his defensive partner.

Vidic has been one half of a few defensive horror shows this season but I can't remember Rio being on the pitch during any really poor displays, defensively.

We've conceded two with Rio three times this season: Scunthorpe, Villa (2-2) and WBA (2-2). I suppose none of those matches were proper horror shows, although my memory is shite. VDS had his brainfart against WBA, didn't he?

Agree with that Pogue, even now I would feel more comfortable with one half of the defence being Ferdinand over Vidic as long he's fully fit.

He really is insanely good. His intelligence, discipline, positioning and reading of play is unmatched.

Rio.

Vidic is absolute class but for me Rio is on another level and is a rarer beast than Vidic.

Ferdinand, particularly as Vidic got raped by a half fit Torres, whereas the likes of Messi, Eto'o, Drogba and Torres (arguably in what we can look back as his best form in his Liverpool career), came up against him and didnt get a sniff.

Last horror show from Ferdinand I can remember is 4-3 v City.

Agree with that Pogue, even now I would feel more comfortable with one half of the defence being Ferdinand over Vidic as long he's fully fit.

He really is insanely good. His intelligence, discipline, positioning and reading of play is unmatched.

Which begs the question, why is he so thick off the pitch?

I have a theory that the dumber you are off the pitch i.e Rooney and Ferdinand, the more intelligent you are on it...

Or maybe footballers are just really thick.

Football intelligence.

In the same sense that Scholes looks permanently retarded when he is doing anything. He is using 98% of his brain on football, leaving just a meager 2% for stuff like facial movement, speech, ability to stay clothed etc.