FC Girondins de Bordeaux folded due to financial issues

That’s very sad. :(

Zidane, Gourcuff, Lizarazu, Dugarry, Ramé, Tigana, Micoud… so many wonderful players have played for them.

That's really shitty news! Hate when historical clubs with titles and tradition go under. Hopefully they will get back to where they once were though it'll be a long road.

That’s very sad. :(

Zidane, Gourcuff, Lizarazu, Dugarry, Ramé, Tigana, Micoud… so many wonderful players have played for them.
(Vaguely) remember my local team Karlsruhe playing them with those players in the Uefa cup. Even beat them, a moment of magic as a kid

Damn, that's a real shame. Bordeaux are a proper club, I'm very surprised nobody has stepped in. I vaguely remember half listening to a podcast talking about a potential takeover the other day - Athletic maybe?

Very sad to see this news. Ever since I went to a game years ago with my GF at the time, I was in love with the club. Great family atmosphere and lovely part of the world. Have followed them since and were my club in France for sure. Sad state of affairs when clubs like Girondins are going under

Such a shame. My baggy band in the 90s were called Bordeaux Shorts.

RiP Bordeaux

That's sad. Such a shame, didn't they just miss coming back up too?

And the Premier League has clubs filing lawsuits against FFP ....

When we say folded, do we mean Bordeaux now won’t have a football club. Or, that they’ll do a Rangers and start again as a NewCo somewhere near the bottom of the French football pyramid, in the same stadium, and be back in Ligue 1 in 4/5 seasons. One of those is sadder than the other.

Is this kind of thing going to occur to more big clubs in light of Ligue 1 struggling to find a buyer for their Ligue 1 and 2 TV rights?

They’ve just sorted a deal for a year. However it really is a short term fix and I don’t see a way out for the clubs. The star players have left and anyone with an ounce of promise is sold after a year or two.

When we say folded, do we mean Bordeaux now won’t have a football club. Or, that they’ll do a Rangers and start again as a NewCo somewhere near the bottom of the French football pyramid, in the same stadium, and be back in Ligue 1 in 4/5 seasons. One of those is sadder than the other.

They have been relegated to a semi professional league. The club still exists but have had to give up their status as a professional football club that comes with all sorts of hurdles in getting back to any semblance of where they once were.

They'll be relegated 1 division. So will play in the 3rd tier instead of the 2nd tier this coming season.

It's a shame but the fans still have their club.

Sad news.

Remember United playing them in Europe a few times. We always won but GdB took the ultimate revenge: selling us Obertan.

Difficult period for French teams. TV companies pulling deals, distracted owners (including Ineos), best players abroad and a state-owned monolith practically owning the main league.

Recipe for disaster.

Reactions: Rood
I'm not sure why some people are saying they've been relegated?

they've folded the club

Just reading a little on their history. They were once relegated before for administrative issues and found their way back to the top division with Lizarazu, Dugarry and a young Zidane. Won the Intertoto cup a few years later with all 3.

Seems this issue started when their TV distributor Mediapro went bankrupt due to COVID and missed their payments.

DNCG the same body that have made this decision tried to do so in 2022 but the club successfully appealed. They initially appealed again this time but then accepted the decision. All player contracts will be terminated with immediate effect and their training ground closed indefinitely.

Horrible stuff.

They haven't been wound up.
They have lost their professional status and relegated to National 1 so far (3rd level)

They have to appear before an insolvency hearing on Tuesday.
Lizarazu is absolutely furious with the owner Gérard Lopez , who intends to stay on, for getting the club into such an awful financial situation

They haven't been wound up.
They have lost their professional status and relegated to National 1 so far (3rd level)

They have to appear before an insolvency hearing on Tuesday.
Lizarazu is absolutely furious with the owner Gérard Lopez , who intends to stay on, for getting the club into such an awful financial situation

They had to close their academy and release all of their players as well

I'm reading online that Barcelona still owe them nearly 10 million euros for Malcolm. Unsure if true but if that's the case then Barca are right stingy bastards.

They have not renewed their professional license. The club still exists.

It's a bit confusing. I read the player contracts have been terminated so I'm not sure how they intend to play matches in a few weeks

I guess they can have trials to sign amateurs to get through the season

That’s disgusting, really. The people responsible for this have little to do with the Girondins that has existed for close to nine decades, nor their followers. How is the FFP situation in France, is this related?

It's a bit confusing. I read the player contracts have been terminated so I'm not sure how they intend to play matches in a few weeks

I guess they can have trials to sign amateurs to get through the season

That is what they would have to do.

We will see what happens at the insolvency hearing. I wouldn't be shocked if they found a buyer. The debt is worth far more than most Ligue 1 clubs let alone Ligue 3 so it's very hard.

Especially as they don't own their own stadium which is owned by the city. We will see.