Fantasy Premier League 21/22

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Dithering between Watkins and King to start next week. Also looking for a Saint Maximin replacement but there are literally none. I would go 5-5-0 if I could.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Damn.

For sure. I don't mind playing all 5 (4 of those are more attacking than most midfielders tbf). But it's left me with a highly inflexible squad. Ronaldo is a must if Newcastle game goes ahead but I can't get him without either a -4 (sacrificing Foden/Jota) or a -8 (Gallagher out).

Though there is bound to be more carnage with the PL meeting tomorrow + potentially further postponements so no point overthinking any of this until Boxing Day.
Not sure he's a must, as unless you captain him, even a 2 goal outing is a 13 pointer that can possibly be covered with other value in your team.
Would have to see what it leaves elsewhere in the team.

Especially as the cheaper defender marvels have dried up a bit. Duffy, Livra etc.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Dithering between Watkins and King to start next week. Also looking for a Saint Maximin replacement but there are literally none. I would go 5-5-0 if I could.
Broja?
Interesting choice and I think he double digited last week.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'd say bench Antonio first but I know he's gonna score now that I've sold him.

But if you are a spreadsheet guy

Antonio from Gameweek 10 onwards

Stats per 90 with league rank among forwards

Shots in the box: 0.75 (23rd)
Big chances: 0.00 (Last)
xG: 0.05 (25th)
Key passes: 1.25 (8th)
xGi: 0.2 (25th)
West Ham xG: 1.2 (13th)
Keeping Antonio at this stage is based on nothing beyond the gut feel that West Ham are fairly decent, and he's a nailed on starter.
But my big failure this season has been not moving people on quicker.

Paul_Scholes18

Keeping Antonio at this stage is based on nothing beyond the gut feel that West Ham are fairly decent, and he's a nailed on starter.
But my big failure this season has been not moving people on quicker.
The only forwards I rather have for sure are Lacazette, Ronaldo and Kane (just for 3 doubles) and the last two are far too expensive.

I think Salah, Son, Ronaldo is impossible to get without having a wildcard and sacrificing TAA, Jota or Cancelo.

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

Should be everyones 3rd forward I reckon. Broja, King/Dennis and anyone but Antonio (who I somehow still own)
He is just not fully nailed though. Southampton rotates a lot. Still fine as a bench option, but not ideal.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Ended up with 5 atb because of the circumstances rather than by design, thrilled that it worked. Might keep it going the next 2 GWs (providing no covid) but after that the Chelsea boys need to go. Bad fixtures and then multiple blanks (Chilwell also back soon in Alonso's case).
You are one jammy git.

Paul_Scholes18

There's that risk but he's so much better than a Keinan Davis at slightly cheaper. The only player that slightly interests me at the 4.5m price is Gelhardt but Leeds are so bad
Yeah he is the cheapest player that can realistically start and score goals. Gelhardt only works up to Bamford gets back as a starter.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Not sure he's a must, as unless you captain him, even a 2 goal outing is a 13 pointer that can possibly be covered with other value in your team.
Would have to see what it leaves elsewhere in the team.

Especially as the cheaper defender marvels have dried up a bit. Duffy, Livra etc.
Fair point in the short term. But with those fixtures until March it would take a very brave man to go without Ronaldo. He really has to come in sooner rather than later.

When does Salah feck off btw? Are the squads announced? Is the competition even going ahead? So many conflicting reports all the time.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Fair point in the short term. But with those fixtures until March it would take a very brave man to go without Ronaldo. He really has to come in sooner rather than later.

When does Salah feck off btw? Are the squads announced? Is the competition even going ahead? So many conflicting reports all the time.
I can’t see that competition going ahead

Moby

Dick

I owned Ronaldo before covid and I ended up questioning his value. I stuck with and argued for the premium striker slot but have to accept that the results weren't great. Lukaku getting injured before his run. Vardy being shit. Kane being shit. Then covid hitting United.

Overall for me 12+ should be for a guy who is a certain to haul. That is someone in great form, playing for a strong team with great attacking starts and good fixtures. Just having one of these things isn't very reliable. Based on the season so far I can't really justify that money for anyone apart from Salah.

Sarni

I owned Ronaldo before covid and I ended up questioning his value. I stuck with and argued for the premium striker slot but have to accept that the results weren't great. Lukaku getting injured before his run. Vardy being shit. Kane being shit. Then covid hitting United.

Overall for me 12+ should be for a guy who is a certain to haul. That is someone in great form, playing for a strong team with great attacking starts and good fixtures. Just having one of these things isn't very reliable. Based on the season so far I can't really justify that money for anyone apart from Salah.

Personally I have said from the beginning that it’s hard for a striker to justify 12m+ as you would need them to score or assist almost every game to put together a good enough return by the end, especially when you will hardly ever captain them (Salah takes that 90% of time). Back then I thought though that forwards like Antonio, Bamford and DCL would be returning on a regular basis. Currently there are basically no options rather than Dennis, playing for a poor side, that are getting points on a regular basis so that would maybe justify Ronaldo a little more but on the other hand his chances of getting armband in a week where Salah is alive and breathing are even lower now.

Sarni

Broja?
Interesting choice and I think he double digited last week.
I was considering him but then I’ll have £2.2m in the bank and nothing to do with it as I literally cannot see any other spot in my team I’d want to improve with significant cost increase involved (I will be making moves like getting Gallagher back etc but that’s it for now). But then again that gives me flexibility.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

I agree the premium forward slot has been a curse. But trends change quickly in FPL and a big part of the game is finding those trends early before the masses jump on. Ronaldo is that kind of trend imo. A lot of Ronaldo's early season problems were down to a non-functional team. Tactics weren't there, confidence wasn't there, it was just sad. There's good reason to believe that will change now. He's a notorious minnow basher (playing lots of those in the next couple of months) and we're bound to blow away a few teams when we get the pressing style going. We have 3 wins in 3, he has 3 goals in 3. His form is obviously there. He has 19 shots on target, only Salah with 30 has more. But crucially, Salah has 600 more minutes. The difference is non-existent if you go by minutes per SOT (54 Ronaldo vs 53 Salah).

Let's assume Salah goes to Afcon. City, Chelsea, Spurs have tricky fixtures in that period. Captaincy wise you're only really left with Ronaldo. If you then don't own him and he gets a brace you'll be trailing by 26 points and it's hard to close that kind of gap.

It just seems like the perfect storm for Ronaldo. I really want to get him in while he still is a differential. He's Ronaldo, he scores goals, he won't stay differential for long.

Sarni

I agree the premium forward slot has been a curse. But trends change quickly in FPL and a big part of the game is finding those trends early before the masses jump on. Ronaldo is that kind of trend imo. A lot of Ronaldo's early season problems were down to a non-functional team. Tactics weren't there, confidence wasn't there, it was just sad. There's good reason to believe that will change now. He's a notorious minnow basher (playing lots of those in the next couple of months) and we're bound to blow away a few teams when we get the pressing style going. We have 3 wins in 3, he has 3 goals in 3. His form is obviously there. He has 19 shots on target, only Salah with 30 has more. But crucially, Salah has 600 more minutes. The difference is non-existent if you go by minutes per SOT (54 Ronaldo vs 53 Salah).

Let's assume Salah goes to Afcon. City, Chelsea, Spurs have tricky fixtures in that period. Captaincy wise you're only really left with Ronaldo. If you then don't own him and he gets a brace you'll be trailing by 26 points and it's hard to close that kind of gap.

It just seems like the perfect storm for Ronaldo. I really want to get him in while he still is a differential. He's Ronaldo, he scores goals, he won't stay differential for long.
There’s no way you can have strong defence, good bench and still afford to have both Ronaldo and Salah. I think with games being postponed it’s essential to maintain maximum level of flexibility and if you want to have Salah, Ronaldo and then have TAA and Cancelo in defense + inevitably at least one of Jota or Foden, you are either going for mediocre deep team or decent team with no bench.

Eg my current team:

Ramsdale De Gea
TAA Cancelo Rudiger Reguilon Cash
Salah Foden Jota Saka Bowen
Watkins ASM King

+ £0.6m in the bank.

Let’s assume I keep just one of goalkeepers, move Cash on to a cheap 4.0 defender that doesn’t play, move Jota to a 4.5 midfielder that doesn’t play or gets 2 points every week, I can then afford to get Ronaldo in for my best forward Watkins. It’s not good business at all and I am screwed each time a game is cancelled, and probably won’t stand to profit much from double gameweeks either.

I think the way the game has shaped this year is that so much resources are consumed by having Salah, TAA, Cancelo that it leaves very little flexibility to get Ronaldo in and still have a good and deep team. And I would risk going into rest of season without a deep team.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
There’s no way you can have strong defence, good bench and still afford to have both Ronaldo and Salah. I think with games being postponed it’s essential to maintain maximum level of flexibility and if you want to have Salah, Ronaldo and then have TAA and Cancelo in defense + inevitably at least one of Jota or Foden, you are either going for mediocre deep team or decent team with no bench.

Eg my current team:

Ramsdale De Gea
TAA Cancelo Rudiger Reguilon Cash
Salah Foden Jota Saka Bowen
Watkins ASM King

+ £0.6m in the bank.

Let’s assume I keep just one of goalkeepers, move Cash on to a cheap 4.0 defender that doesn’t play, move Jota to a 4.5 midfielder that doesn’t play or gets 2 points every week, I can then afford to get Ronaldo in for my best forward Watkins. It’s not good business at all and I am screwed each time a game is cancelled, and probably won’t stand to profit much from double gameweeks either.

I think the way the game has shaped this year is that so much resources are consumed by having Salah, TAA, Cancelo that it leaves very little flexibility to get Ronaldo in and still have a good and deep team. And I would risk going into rest of season without a deep team.
Is that wouldn’t?

minoo-utd

When is the WC should be available again? I have to buy back Ronaldo hopefully we will start play from next GW.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
When is the WC should be available again? I have to buy back Ronaldo hopefully we will start play from next GW.
One more gameweek I believe and then it's back in play. With a lot of teams going to have early doubles then I think an early wildcard will prove popular too.

Getting Ronaldo back and getting Son in definitely high up on the agenda. Just need to see how the ACON plays out first.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I was leaving a slot/money for ronaldo but with all the Covid stuff, I made so many transfers that the only realistic way to get him back is WC or loads of transfers.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
The easiest way for me to get Ronaldo back is Sterling and Watkins/Antonio out for Ron and Gray/Martinelli. I don't dislike it but I won't be doing anything until Sunday morning.

Chances are Sterling sits out the next game and I really want a City mid but seems like you'd have to be switching them weekly to maximise your chances of a return.

minoo-utd

One more gameweek I believe and then it's back in play. With a lot of teams going to have early doubles then I think an early wildcard will prove popular too.

Getting Ronaldo back and getting Son in definitely high up on the agenda. Just need to see how the ACON plays out first.
I think it will be on decided dates, January 9th as far as I hear from the media here in Egypt that Mo Salah will join the national team on time as well.

minoo-utd

I was leaving a slot/money for ronaldo but with all the Covid stuff, I made so many transfers that the only realistic way to get him back is WC or loads of transfers.
Me the same IMO we should wait until the WC is available to be able to get him back again and offload others.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I think it will be on decided dates, January 9th as far as I hear from the media here in Egypt that Mo Salah will join the national team on time as well.
Hmmm. Salah out for Son in GW21 maybe then. Will need to keep the £0.3m needed to buy him back as well.

Also, Vardy > Ronaldo from GW21 looks a decent shout as well. Leicester play Norwich, Burnley, Brighton and we play Wolves, Villa and West Ham.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Me the same IMO we should wait until the WC is available to be able to get him back again and offload others.
My other option is to do it slowly without hits.

So Gallagher to Brownhill
James to White
Antonio to Ronaldo

The good thing about that is I lose James for when Chelsea fixtures turn but I also would miss Ronaldo for Newcastle and Burnley.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
My other option is to do it slowly without hits.

So Gallagher to Brownhill
James to White
Antonio to Ronaldo

The good thing about that is I lose James for when Chelsea fixtures turn but I also would miss Ronaldo for Newcastle and Burnley.
Brownhill again :drool:

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Just me who finds it crazy Robertson still gets 9pts despite being sent off. Feel the punishment should be harsher.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Interesting comments from Pep today re: team selection from the weekend...

Not rotation, no. I decided for this team because they deserved to play today, these guys and not the other ones. At Christmas I pay a lot of attention to behaviour on and off the pitch and when off the pitch is not proper they are not going to play
I mean we know Grealish is a 'lad'. Is he dragging Foden along with him?