Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazza

Simple answer? He's being played wildly out of position. He'd run the show back in his familiar central midfield role rather than the pretentious false 9/attacking midfielder role Barcelona tried to shoehorn him into.

Thanks. Looking forward, what do you think the likelihood is now that Barcelona have signed Neymar that Fabgregas will a) play deeper and b) play as much as he did last season? If he has a chance to play where he's most comfortable next season then he'd surely stay at Barcelona, I just wonder if he's been given a nudge by the management there that that might not be the case?

twitter thread suggester
You can just see how nervous Pete is getting with every post :lol:

This is beautiful.
:lol: So true!

Storey knows this is most likely not going to amount to anything, but the doubt is slowly creeping in. RvP has left some lasting scars.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
:lol: Just seen this news now. We're not falling for this one so soon after Thiago, are we? There's no way Barca will do this deal, especially at the price quoted. If it's true that Arsenal have a 50% sell on clause, this would only happen at around the £50-60 mill mark.

Commadus

moyes prefers fabregas over thiago. Looks like he didnt go all out and go for the riskier option Thiago.

Gazza

Both he and Thiago both try to force things to happen, instead of being patient and keeping possession and slowly wearing the opponent down.

This is kinda what I've heard from randoms on the internet... It sounds like Fabregas has been corrupted by his time in England. ;)

fergieisold

:lol: Just seen this news now. We're not falling for this one so soon after Thiago, are we? There's no way Barca will do this deal, especially at the price quoted. If it's true that Arsenal have a 50% sell on clause, this would only happen at around the £50-60 mill mark.

They won't have a 50% sell on clause. I'd be surprised if they even had a first refusal clause!

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
This is a weird one. I'm convinced that we would not have made our bid public knowledge unless we were confident of signing him, especially after losing out on Thiago in such a public fashion. It would be a crushing blow to the club to miss out on two high-profile targets in one transfer window.

The fact that we're being brazen enough to publicise the bid makes me somewhat confident. Noises from within the club (Irwin) and from Arsenal (Gibbs' agent) have indicated that we're very keen on Fabregas, and I think he'd relish being one of the main men at Old Trafford as opposed to being one of the also-rans at an in-decline Barcelona.

Interesting.

Considering our recent dismal record in the transfer market, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Barca and Fabregas came out and ridiculed the story. Besides, we're probably past the stage of embarrassing ourselves now, lets just bid £25+ million plus for every good midfielder out there and see what sticks.

Will Absolute

Played 83 times for Spain and only 26. I've no proof but I suspect Fabregas is a player whose body will be older than his age, if that makes sense. He played a lot of games when very young, and although he's only 26 I wonder how many more he's got. I know he could be a Giggsy as well, but I can't shake the thought.
Yeah, that's my only reservation. He's got a lot of miles on the clock for a 26 year old. The good thing is he hasn't actually won much, so there should be no lack of ambition.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I don't know if anybody has mention this and it's a long shot but my thought is that our connection to Fabregas is going via RvP. It would be natural if Robin had spoke to Cesc and ask if he's interested before we make a bid. Another thing as that we need someone close to him who speaks well about us. I can't see Moyes and the club make a bid if there weren't a possible chance to get him, otherwise we look stupid.

I go all in on this one too, full muppet approach. Life is to short to be negative.

StuCol

Chimp
Considering our recent dismal record in the transfer market, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Barca and Fabregas came out and ridiculed the story. Besides, we're probably past the stage of embarrassing ourselves now, lets just bid £25+ million plus for every good midfielder out there and see what sticks.

Sound like a plan!

The Neviller

Dismal? We signed RVP and Kagawa last season. The best young goal keeper in Europe, and one of the highest rated young centrebacks in England the season before. Dismal indeed.

Brightonian

Not for me, not denying Thiago's talent or anything like that but Fabregas has at least proved it in the league and champions league. So far with Thiago, nothing is sure as fantastic as his talent is.
Isn't that basically what I said? I think Thiago's youth, promise and cheap price balances out with Fabregas' certainty of being a success, making them equally good buys.

Stickles

The dismal record in the transfer market?

Some people don't know they're born.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Yeah, that's my only reservation. He's got a lot of miles on the clock for a 26 year old. The good thing is he hasn't actually won much, so there should be no lack of ambition.

Yeah but he always got a nice break between Mid February and June when he was at Arsenal.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
There's a tried-and-tested rule of thumb for potential United signings: if the targets suffer from Sneaky Face Syndrome, then we won't sign them & should carry on hating them.

EXHIBIT A

EXHIBIT B

EXHIBIT C

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Would love it if this goes the way the VP transfer went. Ie, complete disbelief and "that'll never happen" from everyone at the start, to a concrete bid, to it escalating and finally done.

Would be an incredible transfer, a star player,and in the key position we lack in!

There must have been some kind of openness to the deal from either Barce or Fabregas. Team of United's size don't just slap bids in randomly.

shaggy

Dismal? We signed RVP and Kagawa last season. The best young goal keeper in Europe, and one of the highest rated young centrebacks in England the season before. Dismal indeed.

I was referring to our long chases of high profile names - Thiago, Sanchez, Lucas, Sneijder, Nasri, Benzema etc etc. Which is dismal.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Is it really a co-incidence that we've put in a bid for him on the same day RVP arrived in Australia?

kidding you cnuts

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I was referring to our long chases of high profile names - Thiago, Sanchez, Lucas, Sneijder, Nasri, Benzema etc etc. Which is dismal.

Looking at that list now, I'm not at all unhappy at missing out on Sneijder, Nasri, Benzema and probably Sanchez. Funny how things work out.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Yeah, I see they've reported it but I always find it hard to believe. Seems to be automatic for the media to say some kind of clause exists for buy-back, sell on fee etc whenever a player is sold.
Can't really remember other cases than Bojan, Rossi and C. Ronaldo(which was subsequently denied by Gill I believe).

The Neviller

Who gives a feck who we didn't get? And who even knows to what extent our interest in any of those players ever went? We signed the top striker in England and one of the best players in the Bundesliga last season, and they've both now got a league winners medal.

fecking dismal.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Can't believe people are believing that we weren't interested in Thiago. Fabregas is our fallback option, by the looks of it. Personally, I'm not that fussed about Fabregas. He'll always be an Arsenal or Barcelona man, he's just hired help if he comes here. I'd rather see players come here that can make a name and a legacy for themselves here. Basically, what most Manchester United signings are supposed to be about.

Siorac

Can't believe people are believing that we weren't interested in Thiago. Fabregas is our fallback option, by the looks of it. Personally, I'm not that fussed about Fabregas. He'll always be an Arsenal or Barcelona man, he's just hired help if he comes here. I'd rather see players come here that can make a name and a legacy for themselves here. Basically, what most Manchester United signings are supposed to be about.
Dunno, I was okay with hiring Van Persie's help for last season. It turned out reasonably well.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
You'd have to think the club know something we don't as the bid doesn't make any sense from where I'm standing.

Worth it for peterstorey in denial alone though.
Have a seat & get into semi-full-muppet mode for Christ sake man :D

Yeah, as regards to Pete, its Karma after all his jibes yesterday about United losing most of our first 5 games in the new season - if not all of them etc.. and Moyes bein a disaster for us blah blah blah!

Ekeke

I think Arsenal probably do have first option, but Fabregas wanted to go and win things. He's not going to settle for 4th place mediocrity now

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
They won't have a 50% sell on clause. I'd be surprised if they even had a first refusal clause!

I'd be incredibly surprised if they agreed to a 50% clause. Then again, the clause for Thiago was mental too, so Barca don't seem to make the wisest decisions as a business.

Even with first refusal, Cesc would have to actually want to go to Arsenal. He might not want to.

Shimo

Don't get any more hired gun than Henrik Larsson for the short period we had him for. But, at 26 Fabregas could definitely make his name (even more than it is now) - possibly even leaving a legacy behind.

shaggy

Looking at that list now, I'm not at all unhappy at missing out on Sneijder, Nasri, Benzema and probably Sanchez. Funny how things work out.

Yeah it's worked out pretty well :)

I reckon Sanchez would of been a hit here though. We love old fashioned wing play and Sanchez fits us more than he does Barca.

Who gives a feck who we didn't get? And who even knows to what extent our interest in any of those players ever went? We signed the top striker in England and one of the best players in the Bundesliga last season, and they've both now got a league winners medal.

fecking dismal.
I'm very happy with our transfer activity over the past few years. However our record in signing these types of players - i.e. Fabregas is dismal for whatever reason. So therefore I wouldn't be surprised if Barca come out and say he isn't for sale, move on United because we don't seem to have much strategy with these high profile foreign signings. Continually repeating that we signed so and so last year or the year before is irrelevant as I am not referring to these players.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Isn't that basically what I said? I think Thiago's youth, promise and cheap price balances out with Fabregas' certainty of being a success, making them equally good buys.
It sort of is but I mainly disagreed with the part you said that they're equal. They're not for me. Fabregas would be an even better signing as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.