Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stickles

I don't think they bitterly lost Thiago. I think that was all show. €25m for a squad player with very limited chances of playing next year? I think they were quite pleased with that.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'm no villain, I'm a cheerful chap.

I might have gone too far with the Thiago thread, but my thoughts were genuine. It all seemed so Twitter led, with barely any major UK sources giving it much attention. This one seems different and I do think a bid has been lodged. Now, whether he comes here is another thing, but I don't think we're the poor draw to players that many suggest. If things really aren't going well for Fabregas at Barca and in La Liga, he knows the success he had in England and if he fancies a move I see no reason why he wouldn't come here. I don't see Arsenal as a reason either, they aren't competing for the title any time soon and would be a step down.

Fair enough and I agree, to go back to Arsenal would make no sense. Even if they are back on an upward spiral with potential new signings, it will be very hard for them to suddenly be CL contenders when they have very little history in the competition and I'm sure a player of Cesc's class wants to win the CL and be an instrumental player in doing so.

Scrumpet

There are no words
You'd have to think the club know something we don't as the bid doesn't make any sense from where I'm standing.

Worth it for peterstorey in denial alone though.

Cina

I don't think they bitterly lost Thiago. I think that was all show. €25m for a squad player with very limited chances of playing next year? I think they were quite pleased with that.
The fans are very bitter over it. He's probably the most talented (or close to it) young midfielder in the world and the most talented Spanish academy player they've had since their current gloryboys. It's regarded as a bit of a disgrace for the board.

Brightonian

Signing Fabregas would be better than signing Thiago as we'd know he's already a PL superstar.
I think they're about equal. Cesc is a sure thing - left the league as the best midfielder in it. Thiago has the potential to be just as good, maybe even the top CM in the world one day, and he's younger. But he's less of a sure thing, particularly in the PL.

Stickles

The fans are very bitter over it. He's probably the most talented (or close to it) young midfielder in the world and the most talented Spanish academy player they've had since their current gloryboys. It's regarded as a bit of a disgrace for the board.
Oh I'm sure in public they'll be very weepy but it wasn't a bad bit of business from their point of view. Especially if they can get the other Thiago in as rumoured.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
Played 83 times for Spain and only 26. I've no proof but I suspect Fabregas is a player whose body will be older than his age, if that makes sense. He played a lot of games when very young, and although he's only 26 I wonder how many more he's got. I know he could be a Giggsy as well, but I can't shake the thought.

Cina

Oh I'm sure in public they'll be very weepy but it wasn't a bad bit of business from their point of view. Especially if they can get the other Thiago in as rumoured.
Well it wasn't bad business considering the fact that he wanted to go and it looked like there was no way they could hold on to him in the end, but everything up until that point, from the clause itself to lack of game time, was terrible business. €21m for him? bargain.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Why not just play Fabregas as a centre mid like he was at Arsenal? He should be playing a lot deeper than Kagawa IMO.

Just play a normal 4-2-3-1 with Fabregas replacing Clev and we'll be laughing
That's probably what would end up happening, but at Arsenal he played often as an attacking mid, not necessarily where Arteta is right now. Unless I'm just remembering him incorrectly. He'd be class wherever obviously, but I think playing him a little more advanced could work better.

Stickles

Even though they're not four identical players but if you're Barcelona and you lose Thiago and Fabregas and sign Neymar and Silva for a net spend of £30m I don't think you'd be too disappointed

Gazza

Question for those who watched Barcelona regularly last season...

To what extent has Fabregas struggled to mesh with their style? I hear that he doesn't quite slip into the way of La Masia like Barcelona might have hoped when they signed him. He's clearly scored and made goals, but apart from that I haven't seen enough to comment.

The possibility of Barcelona being open to selling Cesc would be stronger if the club felt they could be better off integrating another player into the midfield.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
This is a weird one. I'm convinced that we would not have made our bid public knowledge unless we were confident of signing him, especially after losing out on Thiago in such a public fashion. It would be a crushing blow to the club to miss out on two high-profile targets in one transfer window.

The fact that we're being brazen enough to publicise the bid makes me somewhat confident. Noises from within the club (Irwin) and from Arsenal (Gibbs' agent) have indicated that we're very keen on Fabregas, and I think he'd relish being one of the main men at Old Trafford as opposed to being one of the also-rans at an in-decline Barcelona.

Interesting.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

To what extent has Fabregas struggled to mesh with their style? I hear that he doesn't quite slip into the way of La Masia like Barcelona might have hoped when they signed him. He's clearly scored and made goals, but apart from that I haven't seen enough to comment.

The possibility of Barcelona being open to selling Cesc would be stronger if the club felt they could be better off integrating another player into the midfield.

Simple answer? He's being played wildly out of position. He'd run the show back in his familiar central midfield role rather than the pretentious false 9/attacking midfielder role Barcelona tried to shoehorn him into.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Even though they're not four identical players but if you're Barcelona and you lose Thiago and Fabregas and sign Neymar and Silva for a net spend of £30m I don't think you'd be too disappointed
Agree, replacing two players who weren't first choice in midfield, with two players who automatically improve positions they really needed strengthening in. They'd just be lacking in midfield depth now (sort of). Busquets, Song, Mascherano, Xavi, Iniesta, Sergi Roberto, Jon Dos Santos.. actually they'll be fine. They'd probably end up signing Oliver Torres or Ander Herrera to fill in a bit.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Both he and Thiago both try to force things to happen, instead of being patient and keeping possession and slowly wearing the opponent down.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think they're about equal. Cesc is a sure thing - left the league as the best midfielder in it. Thiago has the potential to be just as good, maybe even the top CM in the world one day, and he's younger. But he's less of a sure thing, particularly in the PL.
Not for me, not denying Thiago's talent or anything like that but Fabregas has at least proved it in the league and champions league. So far with Thiago, nothing is sure as fantastic as his talent is.

Status
Not open for further replies.