F1 2022 Season

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
But has known issues, if this was Mercedes admittedly at their best then 7 tenths is a mammoth gap but they know it's got issues.

If they fix it and it's still 3-4 tenths off then they will find it hard to bridge that gap, it's clear Ferrari/Red Bull have very quick cars and I don't think anyone will be out developing huge amounts with the budget cap. The most worrying thing surely is the relative weakness of the engine, that's locked in.
Are they full out yet on the engine?

arthurka

Great to see Ferrari back in the mix. Race will be interesting with added weight and new tires.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I’m so glad Ferrari is competitive. Now the question is can they maintain this and push on. Red Bull will develop strongly, Ferrari need to ensure they match that and if possible stay ahead.

Apparently Red Bull looked quicker on race runs. Let’s see tomorrow though.

Great also to see Haas make a jump. So happy for Magnusson.

And it seems so strange to say, but Mercedes’ probably won’t be too sad. They’re clearly dealing with problems with that car in terms of set up. In that light, being .6 off the pace may actually mean that when they get it all sorted out, they’ll be right up there. Realistically that might not be until race 3? Be interesting to see how they do at full race pace tomorrow.

And finally this is a reminder why it was all too premature to think Russell would jump out the Williams, into the Merc, and suddenly overthrow Hamilton. It’s much harder delivering, consistently, when it’s at the front rather than when it’s with nothing to lose. He’s a great talent and he will be there or there abouts but it’s too much to ask / assume he will be usurping Hamilton’s this year.

RoadTrip

So why is the Merc engine performing so weakly? Of all the things we were expecting, that wasn’t one. Especially since engine regs haven’t changed so much?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I’m so glad Ferrari is competitive. Now the question is can they maintain this and push on. Red Bull will develop strongly, Ferrari need to ensure they match that and if possible stay ahead.

Apparently Red Bull looked quicker on race runs. Let’s see tomorrow though.

Great also to see Haas make a jump. So happy for Magnusson.

And it seems so strange to say, but Mercedes’ probably won’t be too sad. They’re clearly dealing with problems with that car in terms of set up. In that light, being .6 off the pace may actually mean that when they get it all sorted out, they’ll be right up there. Realistically that might not be until race 3? Be interesting to see how they do at full race pace tomorrow.

And finally this is a reminder why it was all too premature to think Russell would jump out the Williams, into the Merc, and suddenly overthrow Hamilton. It’s much harder delivering, consistently, when it’s at the front rather than when it’s with nothing to lose. He’s a great talent and he will be there or there abouts but it’s too much to ask / assume he will be usurping Hamilton’s this year.
Disagree with the last line - he made one mistake, otherwise pretty similar sector times no?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm so hyped for Ferrari this season. Leclerc and Sainz are such a fantastic pair of drivers.

RoadTrip

Disagree with the last line - he made one mistake, otherwise pretty similar sector times no?
1. Similar but was a tenth or so slower overall. Small margin, yes. But also difference between Sainz in 3 and Le Clerc in 1.
2. You’re missing the point. The point is that he made that mistake. It’s only one mistake, but there is a reason the likes of Max and Lewis were so far ahead of the field last year and that’s because they never make mistakes which cost them 0.8 seconds on a key fast lap. It was easy to forget how incredible and rare it is for drivers to put in the level of high pace as consistently as Lewis and Max did last year. Most drivers can be quick on and off over a lap. It’s the consistency that separates these guys.

hobbers

Yeh almost identical. And George was giving Lewis a tow every single run.

Only difference is George pushed too hard on his last outlap and had no grip in turn 1.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Poor Lando.

feel for Hamilton too. I don’t think he will get that elusive 8th title.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
So why is the Merc engine performing so weakly? Of all the things we were expecting, that wasn’t one. Especially since engine regs haven’t changed so much?
It may be down to the slow speed corners at this track and power coming out of them compared to the Ferrari. It might be very different around some of the other tracks like Silverstone or Barcelona.

Could be coincidence as Merc and McLaren have specific problems whilst AM and Williams may just be slow.

We need a few races for things to settle.

Abizzz

Yeh almost identical. And George was giving Lewis a tow every single run.

Only difference is George pushed too hard on his last outlap and had no grip in turn 1.
There was like 3 seconds between them on the track. Must be the longest tow in history.

RoadTrip

They changed the fuel I think perhaps this has impacted merc more ?
It may be down to the slow speed corners at this track and power coming out of them compared to the Ferrari. It might be very different around some of the other tracks like Silverstone or Barcelona.

Could be coincidence as Merc and McLaren have specific problems whilst AM and Williams may just be slow.

We need a few races for things to settle.
Both good points, thanks.

RoadTrip

I have not wrote him off yet, a few races and Mercedes could have their problems sorted and the car will be a rocket, we dont really know.
I did say before the Merc engine was poor, agreed it was a harsh comment.
I am pretty sure at some point the Merc will be competitive this year. The real question is 1) how quickly, and 2) will the time spent getting their set up right cost them on development later in the year.

United Hobbit

Will Haas be able to fix that hydraulic issue/ whatever caused Magnusson to stop after his lap, or can't they touch the car at all?

ChaddyP

But has known issues, if this was Mercedes admittedly at their best then 7 tenths is a mammoth gap but they know it's got issues.

If they fix it and it's still 3-4 tenths off then they will find it hard to bridge that gap, it's clear Ferrari/Red Bull have very quick cars and I don't think anyone will be out developing huge amounts with the budget cap. The most worrying thing surely is the relative weakness of the engine, that's locked in.
You need to remember that Mercedes have the least amount of wind tunnel time this Year. When Ferrari and redbull are in and arms race with each other upgrading their cars, Mercedes is trying to just fix it with a handicap. It's a huge huge problem.

Fluctuation0161

Russell will learn what it takes and the level of commitment required to be a champion. And one of the best ever if not the very best. That will be his biggest takeaway and will help h in the long run.
He will learn alot from racing with Hamilton. Interesting to see how he develops.

Fluctuation0161

Exactly. How do they know that he made those incorrect decisions in good faith. And anyway, what does that even mean.
But the bottom line is that he was completely wrong in how he mishandled and mismanaged the last part of the race.
And let there be no doubt. The outcome of that race and the WC was wrong. And always will be whatever the record says. It was wrong.
Absolutely. We have an asterix champion, the FIA less trusted than ever and they come with these bland empty reports trying to whitewash what happened.

It might even work if there is no FIA controversy this season.

dinostar77

Finally got round to watching qually. Delighted for Ferrari. So glad leclerc beat max to pole. Thats made my evening. Mercedes should be happy with that. I thought they would be further away then they are. The traction of that Ferrari engine is amazing. Be interesting to see what its like on other tracks.

Should be fun watch tomorrow, no doubt the ferrari boys and Mercedes boys will have their elbows out when racing max this season.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Exactly. How do they know that he made those incorrect decisions in good faith. And anyway, what does that even mean.
But the bottom line is that he was completely wrong in how he mishandled and mismanaged the last part of the race.
And let there be no doubt. The outcome of that race and the WC was wrong. And always will be whatever the record says. It was wrong.
I think they are trying to say that there was no bias in Masi, however they know that they don't expand. Fully agree with the rest.

How can you come up with a report that validates a winning season but invalidates the last needed points?

Last question, will Horner apologise for his part n this?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think they are trying to say that there was no bias in Masi, however they know that they don't expand. Fully agree with the rest.

How can you come up with a report that invalidates a winning season but invalidates the last needed points?

Last question, will Horner apologise for his part n this?
Does the pope shit in his hat?

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Don't think Merc will be worried - they can pull that sort of gap back in-season. Key will be securing 6th/7th each race and being reliable enough to snag podiums when Leclerc/Verstappen inevitably tangle.
Mercedes will be very worried if that is indicative of overall pace.

Firstly, you seem to be under the impression that this is two years ago and teams can throw a shitload of money at the wall and hope something sticks. They can no longer do that.

You also seem to be under the impression that the cars ahead of them will not evolve either?

Right now Merc are closer to Haas, Alfa and Renault than they are Ferrari and McLaren.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

Firstly, you seem to be under the impression that this is two years ago and teams can throw a shitload of money at the wall and hope something sticks. They can no longer do that.

You also seem to be under the impression that the cars ahead of them will not evolve either?

Right now Merc are closer to Haas, Alfa and Renault than they are Ferrari and McLaren.
Mercedes have said repeatedly that they are still understanding the car as it's currently configured, and they expect rapid gains once it clicks. I could see it being a McLaren 09 scenario. But they have a better platform to work with.

dinostar77

Totto said they are 0.5 off in race pace at the moment, which is huge. However they have alot of speed to find on the track to match the simulation predictions. There is a huge amount of untapped potential in the car apparently.

Of course Ferrari and RB will improve, but improvements will depend on the design of the car and how much more can squeezed out of them. The ceiling potential of each car on the grid will be different and theres the cost assoiciated with the upgrades and the aero/CFD time.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Damn, Ferrarri is back? I have been suffering for years :D

Sainz is the better/more consistent driver