Explosions reported at Brussels airport.

Radio here just reported 11 dead, 25 injured so far and more bombs might have been found still. Horrible stuff.

I'm supposed to be there on friday :/

We can design airport terminals to make it difficult for car bombs/ramming (as was attempted at Glasgow), but anything portable can be carried into the first receiving area and by the check-in desks. And if this was a suicide bomber...

Depressing times.

Something was shouted in arabic before two explosions according to witnesses.

Seeing the damage, it's not possible there will not be casualties. Some reports of 11 already :(

What a depressing time to be alive. RIP to the victims and praying we can keep the number as low as possible.

Something was shouted in arabic before two explosions according to witnesses.

Seeing the damage, it's not possible there will not be casualties. Some reports of 11 already :(

Anyone find a passport?.....

Awful but predictable.

Picture from The Guardian of the departures hall, reports that one person has died.

975.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/mar/22/brussels-airport-explosions-live-updates

Here we go again. We're being dragged slowly back into a war here :(

My thoughts are with the victims, injured, families and people of Belgium.

Your values are our values. We will not be scared - we are not scared.

Another explosion?

This is fecking ridiculous. One thing after another.

They just announced an explosion at the Metro Station. When will it end?

There are photos of some of the injured from the metro station on twitter - looks like it was probably a big explosion.

Now The Guardian reports a hospital source as saying there are up to ten fatalities, and 30 injured. Misery for some families and disruption for a whole city. :(

Maelbaek is on the main Metro line and is the last stop before Schuman - where the European Union is. It's within walking distance and has a few EU offices above it as well as plenty of nice residential areas close by. Would be a fairly heavily expat populated area.

The most obvious reason (or 'justification' as those nutcases will attempt to call it) is the capture of Salah Abdeslam the other day. Despite not being dead they are clearly treating him as a martyr.

Some of the stuff they're showing on the news over here is pretty disgusting. Severely wounded people getting carried off, one camera trying to film the inside of an ambulance. feck sake. What if a relative is watching? Bunch of cretins.

This has to be linked to the Paris attack, lots of action has been centered around Brussels since then.

Belgium (by way of residence or launching off poing) has been linked to attacking in France which significantly pre-date those in Paris last year. The folks over at Belgian Intel might need some help.

Some of the stuff they're showing on the news over here is pretty disgusting. Severely wounded people getting carried off, one camera trying to film the inside of an ambulance. feck sake. What if a relative is watching? Bunch of cretins.

I've just had to close twitter for much the same reason. Modern technology and media is wonderful but it can be awful at times like this.

they have picked the soft part of the airport to bomb, anybody can get to the check in areas, it is only after you check in you go though security.
This will change now and it will change pretty quick.

Scary stuff. I was considering visiting Brussels this weekend. Only yesterday, I was speaking to my mum saying how I thought about it, but Belgium/Brussels is too scary for my liking at the moment.

RIP to those that have lost lives.

It's not just the news outlets unfortunately, social media will be full of insensitive material right now

It's getting to the point where I don't know how we can actually stop them. No matter what precautions we take they will just get through.

Education. Social Justice. Secularism. Liberal Values. Science.

The vast, vast majority of people come to Europe to embrace these things and take advantage of the liberal democracies we operate. Conservative Religious/ political ideologies fight back..as they lose their power it becomes more violent. Hate, however, as history has shown, doesn't win out.