Everton 24/25 | John Textor has entered period of exclusivity to pursue Everton takeover

That was a very strange thing. For 80 minutes of the game we were utterly dominant and it was the most fun I've had watching Everton in ages. Ndiaye was utter quality and we should have been winning about 5-0 with no issues.

Then that happened.

I think they're the only team weak enough to finish below the promoted teams. Even then i think it would take a toxic, months long meltdown to push them over the edge. They should be looking for a Dyche replacement now though. He might survive and get a bit of support and enthusiasm back but managers like him dont last long term and everton supporters seem to have understandably had their fill of watching him.

I think they're the only team weak enough to finish below the promoted teams. Even then i think it would take a toxic, months long meltdown to push them over the edge. They should be looking for a Dyche replacement now though. He might survive and get a bit of support and enthusiasm back but managers like him dont last long term and everton supporters seem to have understandably had their fill of watching him.
Who would you target as a replacement manager without saying David Moyes?

Who would you target as a replacement manager without saying David Moyes?
Not a tier of manager im familiar with. Kieran McKenna has passed out of reach for you I'd say but maybe the right kind of idea. Gary O'Neill at Wolves seems to have been a really good appointment. Marco Biesla? Probably dont have the team for it and he's picky about jobs, cant imagine him being tempted with your current board.
Michael Carrick was doing quite well at Middlesbrough last i checked?
I think you need to gamble on a younger manager that can bring some enthusiasm and hope and get the fans on board mostly. I dont think more established managers will want to work under the existing board so it'll be more guys who have nothing much to lose or managers no one really wants like Allardyce.

Not a tier of manager im familiar with. Kieran McKenna has passed out of reach for you I'd say but maybe the right kind of idea. Gary O'Neill at Wolves seems to have been a really good appointment. Marco Biesla? Probably dont have the team for it and he's picky about jobs, cant imagine him being tempted with your current board.
Michael Carrick was doing quite well at Middlesbrough last i checked?
I think you need to gamble on a younger manager that can bring some enthusiasm and hope and get the fans on board mostly. I dont think more established managers will want to work under the existing board so it'll be more guys who have nothing much to lose or managers no one really wants like Allardyce.
The reason Dyche got the job is because Bielsa said he would only take it if he managed the reserves until the end of the season and then take over.

There is no real option right now aside from Dyche due to the club. He gets far too much stick. He makes mistakes but he's working an almost impossible job at times.

How come O'brien hasn't started in the league yet? Their biggest outlay of the summer when they didn't have much to spend and with injuries to defenders. Twiddling his thumbs on the bench.

Mind you, he's not the only mystery in the league. Don't know why Antonio has been ahead of Fullkrug at West Ham or Digne ahead of Maatsen at Villa.

How come O'brien hasn't started in the league yet? Their biggest outlay of the summer when they didn't have much to spend and with injuries to defenders. Twiddling his thumbs on the bench.

Mind you, he's not the only mystery in the league. Don't know why Antonio has been ahead of Fullkrug at West Ham or Digne ahead of Maatsen at Villa.
Sean Dyche.

There are rumours it was a Thelwell more than Dyche signing.

Also Dyche bangs on about PL experience and getting up to speed with the PL and puts so much onus in his pre-season but statistically he's one of the worst managers ever when it comes to August in the PL.

I said at the time don’t expect much straight away (if ever) from this signing

I can imagine Fullkrug might be a bit of a slow starter, he's got quite a chunky frame (like Casemiro) and possibly takes a bit of time to get fit. Antonio is a good player and much pacier on the rare occasions that he's fit and firing, I don't think it's a ridiculous call yet, although it would be if Fullkrug doesn't get proper chances soon.

Digne over Maatsen is easy - he's a better player but very injury prone and Maatsen will get his chance when Digne is next injured. If he takes his chance he'll stay in the team, it's just good squad management.

I can imagine Fullkrug might be a bit of a slow starter, he's got quite a chunky frame (like Casemiro) and possibly takes a bit of time to get fit. Antonio is a good player and much pacier on the rare occasions that he's fit and firing, I don't think it's a ridiculous call yet, although it would be if Fullkrug doesn't get proper chances soon.

Digne over Maatsen is easy - he's a better player but very injury prone and Maatsen will get his chance when Digne is next injured. If he takes his chance he'll stay in the team, it's just good squad management.

I like Digne and he's started the season very well, the whole thing was a surprise to me though. All indications were that Digne would be 3rd choice when they signed Maatsen, Digne was linked with lots of clubs, supposedly snubbed a move to Turkey on Twitter etc. Moreno then leaves on loan and Digne goes from the verge of being out the door (if those were stories were ever true) to starting over an expensive new signing. Maybe I bought into the rumours too much, but it did look like he was unwanted.

Anyway, this is supposed to be Everton talk, I'll leave it at that.

I like Digne and he's started the season very well, the whole thing was a surprise to me though. All indications were that Digne would be 3rd choice when they signed Maatsen, Digne was linked with lots of clubs, supposedly snubbed a move to Turkey on Twitter etc. Moreno then leaves on loan and Digne goes from the verge of being out the door (if those were stories were ever true) to starting over an expensive new signing. Maybe I bought into the rumours too much, but it did look like he was unwanted.

Anyway, this is supposed to be Everton talk, I'll leave it at that.

Digne used to play for Everton. Moreno's injuries did for him I think, he was very reliant on his pace. Digne is a really good player, if a bit unlikeable and rather too injury prone!

They’ve given away a 2-goal lead in two consecutive matches. Very surprised if they don’t end up losing this one too.

There are already calls for Dyche to be sacked by the majority of the fanbase and I expect media and club pressure will rise also. Still not sure if that would be the right move but as with other managers, if you don't get results and you keep losing...it's not to be unexpected.

Still baffled how we have managed to let a 2 goal lead slip back to back though. This fecking club.

Enlightening.

Glad I cleared it up for you.

To be serious, have you been worth the leads when you've managed them?

If you've got the ability to take a lead, it seems like it'd be easier to fix being a bit leaky at the other end, rather than having the opposite problem of not being able to score.

Glad I cleared it up for you.

To be serious, have you been worth the leads when you've managed them?

If you've got the ability to take a lead, it seems like it'd be easier to fix being a bit leaky at the other end, rather than having the opposite problem of not being able to score.
Against Villa, nah, they're clearly the better side and were on top but against Bournemouth we were by far and away the better side for 85 minutes.

It appears that we leak goals with Keane at the back instead of Branthwaite (same happened at the start of last season until Branthwaite came in). Tarkowski has also dipped this season so it will be interesting to see if he has an upturn when Branthwaite comes back too.

There are already calls for Dyche to be sacked by the majority of the fanbase and I expect media and club pressure will rise also. Still not sure if that would be the right move but as with other managers, if you don't get results and you keep losing...it's not to be unexpected.

Still baffled how we have managed to let a 2 goal lead slip back to back though
. This fecking club.
I can kind of see how, though i haven't really watched much of either game. Young and Coleman are going to struggle more in the 80th minute than the first. Tarkowski similarly is starting to get on. Then you've got some pretty young, inexperienced players who look quite good but look gassed after an hour (similar kind of issues to us actually)
Dyche is a short term appointment, no one wants to watch his football over any extended period of time and it'll suck any enthusiasm and joy out of a club. If he strings together a few wins and points starting immediately people might put up with him a bit longer. They should be looking elsewhere and sounding out replacements with a longer term MO than rescue you from relegation.

I can kind of see how, though i haven't really watched much of either game. Young and Coleman are going to struggle more in the 80th minute than the first. Tarkowski similarly is starting to get on. Then you've got some pretty young, inexperienced players who look quite good but look gassed after an hour (similar kind of issues to us actually)
Dyche is a short term appointment, no one wants to watch his football over any extended period of time and it'll suck any enthusiasm and joy out of a club. If he strings together a few wins and points starting immediately people might put up with him a bit longer. They should be looking elsewhere and sounding out replacements with a longer term MO than rescue you from relegation.
Tiredness or not, there is no real excuse for letting the 2 goal lead go against Bournemouth.

Also, we played good football against Bournemouth so it's possible for a Dyche team to play decent stuff. It just depends if he will or not.

That won't happen until we get a new owner and move into the new stadium. It was obvious to everyone that the Dyche appointment was basically to just keep us in the league until we get the stadium move and then if he does really well he stays. If not a new guy comes in who will be under a new regime.

This guy is no kind of saviour. I’d be amazed if he doesn’t steer the ship toward the rocks within a few years.

Really do wish Everton get a proper owner who knows what they are doing.

Get them back up the table and competing again.

Can't help but feel Textor is another vulture wanting themselves a piece of real estate, but if not, he could be onto something. A new stadium, historical club, big fanbase and an exploitable rivalry versus Liverpool.

Again, can't help but feel he is another Moshiri.

Against Villa, nah, they're clearly the better side and were on top but against Bournemouth we were by far and away the better side for 85 minutes.

It appears that we leak goals with Keane at the back instead of Branthwaite (same happened at the start of last season until Branthwaite came in). Tarkowski has also dipped this season so it will be interesting to see if he has an upturn when Branthwaite comes back too.

Not even for the first half hour against Villa?

I don't think all hope is lost yet. Southampton look absolute garbage, for starters, and I'd be very surprised if more than one of Ipswich, Forest, Wolves and Brentford escape a relegation battle.

Not even for the first half hour against Villa?

I don't think all hope is lost yet. Southampton look absolute garbage, for starters, and I'd be very surprised if more than one of Ipswich, Forest, Wolves and Brentford escape a relegation battle.
I still think we will be fine but we really need to get 3 or 4 wins in the next 6 I'd say.

Tiredness or not, there is no real excuse for letting the 2 goal lead go against Bournemouth.

Also, we played good football against Bournemouth so it's possible for a Dyche team to play decent stuff. It just depends if he will or not.

That won't happen until we get a new owner and move into the new stadium. It was obvious to everyone that the Dyche appointment was basically to just keep us in the league until we get the stadium move and then if he does really well he stays. If not a new guy comes in who will be under a new regime.
Its not a good excuse but your a pretty poor team to be blunt and it felt like Bournemouth would have scored 5 if thats what was needed to win. You just looked dead on your feet.
I dont think you'll be fine, I think you might survive but i really doubt it'll be comfortable.

Its not a good excuse but your a pretty poor team to be blunt and it felt like Bournemouth would have scored 5 if thats what was needed to win. You just looked dead on your feet.
I dont think you'll be fine, I think you might survive but i really doubt it'll be comfortable.
I don't think we are as poor as is suggested and you've self-admitted that you've not watched much of us so I'm not sure how you can judge with such confidence. As said, against Bournemouth we were completely dominant for most of the game and the correct substitutions would have seen the game. Against Brighton we were competitive until the first goal and then we collapsed. Same against Villa.

I think our problems are more mental/Dyche poor in game management. Otherwise we have more than enough to be safe.

Pretty much the same squad last year managed to get 48 points.

I don't think we are as poor as is suggested and you've self-admitted that you've not watched much of us so I'm not sure how you can judge with such confidence. As said, against Bournemouth we were completely dominant for most of the game and the correct substitutions would have seen the game. Against Brighton we were competitive until the first goal and then we collapsed. Same against Villa.

I think our problems are more mental/Dyche poor in game management. Otherwise we have more than enough to be safe.

Pretty much the same squad last year managed to get 48 points.
I'm not confident, I'm opinionated. Its different. And just shooting the breeze really, you can correct me.
Yeah, you should have made subs against bournemouth but it didn't happen, i dont think i'd disagree about it being a mental / management issue. I just think your a fragile team, it wont take much to push you into severe ineptitude. Tiredness being enough for example and with the age profile and bench options you have thats going to need really strong management.
Its hard to judge the relegation candidates to be honest, they all look miles off the standard needed and i have no idea what, if anything, their subs bench can contribute.

To go into more detail
Young and Coleman were fairly weak PL full backs this time last year. I just think they're done now. Maybe I'm misremembering but Young should have given away 3 penalties right at the end of last season? I think Ireland need to move on from Coleman and we're Championship level at best and he's probably the better of the two. I just think they're liabilities, training cones later in the game.
Keane is terrible, he'll cost you games and points. Tarkowski i quite like and rate but moreso for his organisation and positioning and ability to sweep up. No amount of organisation will make the players above competent. They're not lacking experience and know how. As someone to run around and firefight and make loads of tackles I think Tarkowski is a bit weaker. He wont carry a weak backline. Your ability to sit in and defend with any of Young, Coleman or Keane playing is pretty poor imo. Maybe you could get away with 45 mins from Coleman but even that should be a plan B used reluctantly.
I like this season's midfield options more than last season actually. In isolation at least. Onana is better than any left but not so much in how you used him. He's pretty replaceable in that role. Not sure you've done that directly. Gueye was better 2+ years ago than he was last season, he's slowing down a bit. Good player, i rate him but i'd be a bit wary of him waning a bit. I liked garner when he was here, thought he was a solid bet for a midtable midfielder, you'll have seen much more of him than me at this point. Tim whatever looks good, but young. Ndiaye (?) looks promising. Its a better more progressive selection but chucking Gueye, Dacoure and Onana in front of your defence gave you a lot of protection and a lot of set piece ability. I'm not sure the change actually pays off playing Dyche's tradional system. Calvert Lewin could go either way depending on if he needs to sell himself for his next contract or if he signs a pre contract in january at which point he's just not going to be engaged. Beto could score goals possibly i guess. Just doesn't look a system built for him to do that.
I think you need to avoid playing like a Dyche team and be much more careful with the ball and your energy to survive and i think any injuries in your backline could be fatal.