EU Referendum | UK residents vote today.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you saying that we should have a global government modelled on the European Union? Authoritarian rule, corruption, death, loads of fun.

All I'm saying that pointing towards Kyoto and Paris to make the point you did is utterly bizarre.

I don't know about in general, but I stayed in a hotel in Paris last month that had no kettle in the room, which is unheard of in Britain. I just bought the cheapest one I could find in a corner shop type place, and left it the room afterwards. I found teabags on sale easily enough, and fresh milk, eventually. No way am I going without my wake-up two pints of tea. This isn't a serious comment on the EU of course.

There is an abundant supply of kettles, fresh milk and teabags everywhere in France.
I even spent two years on the road for work and every hotel room I stayed in had a kettle, think you were just unlucky

Farage is always going on about 'controlling our borders'.

If memory serves, UKIP's election manifesto and public pronouncements had annual immigration of at least 100,000, if not a deal more. Some on the left of the Leave movement however, see this as a route to increasing the number of refugees we accept. Whichever policy we have in th decades ahead, there is the potential for greater accountability than might otherwise exist.

Such things are far more effective when implemented at a continent wide level. Otherwise you'd get Farage types saying "we're small and have no effect on global warming in the grand scheme of things", leading to no-one taking essential steps to minimise energy usage.
If you don't like Farage then fair enough but that's neither a Farage nor Farage type comment.

There is an abundant supply of kettles, fresh milk and teabags everywhere in France.
I even spent two years on the road for work and every hotel room I stayed in had a kettle, think you were just unlucky

I've not stayed in Paris for years so I thought it was normal. What you say means I probably only had to ask for one at reception. I am dim sometimes.

I've not stayed in Paris for years so I thought it was normal. What you say means I probably only had to ask for one at reception. I am dim sometimes.

No they should be in the room with coffee tea biscuits etc on a tray like in the UK , assuming it's a reasonable quality hotel, although you could ask if there isn't one.
F1 hotels and low budget hotels won't have them but if you are only paying 20 or 30 Euros a night you wouldn't expect it but you can't get a hotel in the Uk for that price.
But a 2/3 star hotel normally have them

Has such a notion been represented in any of the campaigning?

If we transferred that logic to Kyoto or Paris, then we ought to be living under a global government right now. The agreements that count need to be global, thinking about such in a purely European context is rather small time and dated.
This is a dumb argument, Nick. You're basically saying that having regulations on energy usage that apply over a highly developed continent of 500m people isn't a good thing because they don't apply across the world. How about we do both? There's a crazy idea. Do what we can in Europe and work towards further agreement across the globe, showing that we're acting in good faith by following our own advice.

But no, that would be TYRANNY!

If you don't like Farage then fair enough but that's neither a Farage nor Farage type comment.
Eh? He's said exactly that type of thing in the past, that we don't produce much of the world's CO2 so shouldn't adapt how we behave to lower it. Fecker doesn't even believe the science on it.

I just think these sort of things are a complete red herring and one of the stupidest things people rage against the EU about.

I feel like in part its the UK Governments fault that people get angry about this sort of stuff though, too often they've washed their hands of well intentioned (and in this case, in my opinion, well executed) but unpopular plans by saying stuff like 'Ah, the bloody EU, if only we could stop them hey!' when in reality they agree with it but don't see admitting it as a vote winner.
Know what you mean. feck the fact independent auditors haven't been willing to sign off the EU's accounts for 14 consecutive years, they're making me wait 20 seconds longer for my cup of tea.
I doubt the government encourages this tbf. Maybe the tabloid press.
I don't know about in general, but I stayed in a hotel in Paris last month that had no kettle in the room, which is unheard of in Britain. I just bought the cheapest one I could find in a corner shop type place, and left it the room afterwards. I found teabags on sale easily enough, and fresh milk, eventually. No way am I going without my wake-up two pints of tea. This isn't a serious comment on the EU of course.
Bloody heathens. I hate it when you get one of those Nespresso machines that heats the water, so you can make tea, but it always has a faint coffee taste. And the places that make you ration two tea bags for an entire day. That 'creamer' crap is more less survivable, but no milk at all is another bug-bear.

Jipp, make sure you pack some teabags because yank hotels usually have that awful Lipton shit that I wouldn't wish on a thirsty castaway.

It sounds like him, and do you think Farage has much time for environmental regulation?

In terms of protection for greenfield sites and a greater emphasis on flood defence policy, yes, probably more so than Labour or the present Conservative government in fact. But so far as carbon taxes go, or large scale renewable projects like wind farms, no he's probably not a huge fan. ;)

I just think these sort of things are a complete red herring and one of the stupidest things people rage against the EU about.

I feel like in part its the UK Governments fault that people get angry about this sort of stuff though, too often they've washed their hands of well intentioned (and in this case, in my opinion, well executed) but unpopular plans by saying stuff like 'Ah, the bloody EU, if only we could stop them hey!' when in reality they agree with it but don't see admitting it as a vote winner.

The UK govt are lap dogs to the EU, they just push through all of the shite laws, and observe them. In addition the economic requirements for closer union are not observed by several EU members who totally fudge them, meanwhile UK just pays them ashit load of money.

In terms of protection for greenfield sites and a greater emphasis on flood defence policy, probably more so than Labour or the Conservative government. But as for large scale renewable projects or wind farms, or carbon taxes, no he's probably not a huge fan. ;)

Just the big stuff he doesn't care about

After years of shit stories like 'EU Frogs and Jerries want to take away YOUR bananas!', don't be surprised if the public votes to leave.

From the only poll watchers to correctly predict the result of the election last May.

After years of shit stories like 'EU Frogs and Jerries want to take away YOUR bananas!', don't be surprised if the public votes to leave.

Well, that is what I mean. I don't really believe that the majority of the electorate do the kind of nuance that @Nick 0208 Ldn mentioned a previous post.

Where I live the whole thing swings on the immigration issue, that said, UKIP do quite well in these parts.

Just the big stuff he doesn't care about

Hardly surprising that you would consider a tax to be among the important stuff. But those things also matter, particularly to voters.

What you might want to bear in mind, is that we will see swifter progress toward a greener society if it is a popular movement and pushed by the man and woman on the street. Save for a few low-level initiatives over the years, it is top-down policy making (which people are often very cynical about).

From the only poll watchers to correctly predict the result of the election last May.

I have a stocks and shares ISA with Hargreaves Lansdown. They send out a monthly publication on the finance industry etc. They fully anticipate a remain vote and advised investors to go about their long term planning as normal.

It'll be the best thing that the British electorate has done in years, far greater than removing Brown in 2010. There are moments where i might even accept Corbyn as PM if that were the price required, although only as a minority government or coalition.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out. I will vote to stay but only because of investments and the stock market going tits up in a massive overreaction to Brexit. The UK massively suffers from actually implementing the EU's shite, whilst others pay lip service, we are too big to go beneath the radar though.

Those probabilities seem way off, particularly considering the demographics involved and the likelihood of participation.

Hardly surprising that you would consider a tax to be among the important stuff. But those things also matter, particularly to voters.

What you might want to bear in mind, is that we will see swifter progress toward a greener society if it is a popular movement and pushed by the man and woman on the street. Save for a few low-level initiatives over the years, it is top-down policy making (which people are often very cynical about).

The carbon tax is a way of encouraging good behaviour and innovation, similar to how high fuel prices across the EU led to very efficient cars as opposed to the gas guzzlers of the US

I wouldn't fear for the green belt outside the EU, I would fear for eveything else, environmental regulation just gets in the way of profit I'm afraid

But more seriously I will have to change nationalities, as I intend to remain in France for the remainder of my days, I will take French nationality if the UK leaves.
You won't have to change nationalities, you'll still be able to live there. English people used to live in France before we joined the EU and French people used to live here.

Anyone watching Question Time? The level of debate on the referendum among some audience members and (on the other side) the woman from the Green Party is quite frightening, like something you'd expect from Trump.

You won't have to change nationalities, you'll still be able to live there. English people used to live in France before we joined the EU and French people used to live here.

I highly doubt they will boot you out. The U.K. won't be repatriating any existing immigrants over here.

No they won't boot me out but documentation wise it will become more complicated and as french red-tape is a pain in the neck as it is will be much simpler if I'm french which would be no problem as my wife is french. I remember in the mid/late 70s when the UK were already part of the EEC and at that time had considered living in France but lot of French companies/ state entities still considered the Uk as still outside the EEC. If the UK is actually outside the EU then I can foresee many problems in that sense.
So my wife spent 32 years in the UK and we moved back to France 9 years ago, she kept her french nationality.

Daniel Hannan and Dia Chakravarty (the latter on non-EU migrants) seem to have been talking a lot of sense on QT tonight.

Last edited:
Daniel Hannan is the person that most has me leaning towards voting for a Brexit. I was considering buying his book on the issue.

Loves Europe, Hates the EU. A pity for for those of us in the UK that Hannan's not in the Commons, he's intelligent and prepared to take original and unpopular positions (as we heard in that interview with Owen Jones).

Was she wrong about non-EU migrants? Is Hannan wrong about Brussels' authoritarian approach to the Greece, or the money it wastes?

She's wrong, theres nothing stopping this government from making visas easier for non eu folks. Only the pandering to racists has led to this point where they are unfair on those from outside the EU.

I don't think the EUs approach to Greece has been right, however I doubt it would have been any different if Greece were outside the EU

She's wrong, theres nothing stopping this government from making visas easier for non eu folks. Only the pandering to racists has led to this point where they are unfair on those from outside the EU.

I don't think the EUs approach to Greece has been right, however I doubt it would have been any different if Greece were outside the EU
But it's absolutely nothing to do with racism is it. That word is bandied around at every and any opportunity nowadays, god only knows why. It seems to be everyone's answer to everything, whether it makes sense or not.

It's to do with the level of immigration that the UK can absorb and that level is not unlimited, even though people might want to pretend it is. If visas were easy to come by then we would have more and more people making a one way trip. That's how a lot of illegal immigration works. We already have 500,000 million people able to come and live here if they so wish.

But it's absolutely nothing to do with racism is it. That word is bandied around at every and any opportunity nowadays, god only knows why. It seems to be everyone's answer to everything, whether it makes sense or not.

It's to do with the level of immigration that the UK can absorb and that level is not unlimited, even though people might want to pretend it is. If visas were easy to come by then we would have more and more people making a one way trip. That's how a lot of illegal immigration works. We already have 500,000 million people able to come and live here if they so wish.

Racist isn't bandid about enough. We are not being overwhelmed. We are not running out of space. Scare story after scare story in the papers, politicians saying anything no matter how untrue to win elections, this is what led to there unfair policy on non eu migrants, not the EU

Status
Not open for further replies.