Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

crossy1686

career ending
Been very pleased with Ten Hag this season but we shouldn't still be pushing the same 13 players to the absolute brink of their physical capabilities in all comps just to try and make the semi final of some shite European Cup no one gives a shit about. Now we're paying the price and we could end the season totally fecked for next season after dropping out of the top 4 (if that happens). That is unfortunately on the manager.

Eddy_JukeZ

Been very pleased with Ten Hag this season but we shouldn't still be pushing the same 13 players to the absolute brink of their physical capabilities in all comps just to try and make the semi final of some shite European Cup no one gives a shit about. Now we're paying the price and we could end the season totally fecked for next season after dropping out of the top 4 (if that happens). That is unfortunately on the manager.
Speak for yourself. It's a trophy and a chance to get into the 1st pot for next season's CL.

We've barely won trophies lately and people are turning their nose up at a chance for a trophy this season.

Superunknown

The only way that would be possible is if we never had any intensity - our squad is paper thin, even before the injuries that are piling up, and so the players are exhausted.
I disagree. He is in control over the whole squad. The mentality should be for those players on the bench and the fringes of the squad to come in and do a job. He isn't just working with 11 players, he's in control over all of them. Yes, the injuries are absolutely terrible and you can't even begin to predict when these things can happen. All it sometimes takes is the wrong step or the wrong tackle, and that's it. But, ETH should be gearing these guys up so that when they come on, they're ready to make a positive change. It's a squad game.

HookedOnAPhelan

What the feck? The ref warned Ten Hag about a second booking for Bruno and Antony? Bruno's first booking was a fecking joke ffs! And Antony didn't do much wrong after his booking?

Regardless, why would any ref warn a manager about that?

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ole would be getting absolutely slaughtered for that tonight.

When you want to see out a game at 2-0 you make your midfield stronger and control the game.

Elanga and Weghorst were pathetic subs. Fred and Eriksen on and just see the game out 2-0. What's so bad about that? What's Fred done to get in his bad books. He's not perfect but he's much better than Elanga n Weghorst.

Stacks

As someone said, the ETH honeymoon period is over and we can now accept he is a manager that has it all to prove. Previously people were standing by every decision claiming "if ETH wants/plays him then I'm happy cos he must know" like he was infallible and it was annoying, since in his resume he only had dutch titles with Ajax. I feel he is facing his most testing period as all avenues are at risk. Hopefully when full strength we can have a solid end to the season

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I agree he should be praised and criticised, no issues there, it's the nutters calling for him to basically be sacked I have a problem with. And I can almost guarantee they are either Ole or Jose acolytes.
Who’s asked for him to be sacked?

Irwin99

What the feck? The ref warned Ten Hag about a second booking for Bruno and Antony? Bruno's first booking was a fecking joke ffs! And Antony didn't do much wrong after his booking?
It was but Bruno was (quite rightly) going mental, Keano style, at the decision and I was actually worried watching he'd get booked for dissent. The Antony sub was still strange though.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

When you want to see out a game at 2-0 you make your midfield stronger and control the game.

Elanga and Weghorst were pathetic subs. Fred and Eriksen on and just see the game out 2-0. What's so bad about that? What's Fred done to get in his bad books. He's not perfect but he's much better than Elanga n Weghorst.
I thought it was understandable that Martial came off. He's just gotten back from injury. Shame we don't have any other option other than Weghorst.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Antony was having a running battle with the square shaped Argie lad. They ended up laughing about it together but the ref could easily not see the funny side. He was a fussy twat all evening.

Matt851

We do still look quite a lot like an ole side to be honest. Rarely any control of games and we only seem to play well for periods of games

There was always a risk that by going for every competition we burn out towards the end of the season and that is beginning to look worryingly lime that might haplen

justboy68

I'm wondering what the story is there too. It's been bloody weird how he's largely disappeared when he was in a stretch of pretty good form.

El Jefe

Can't blame him for the injuries or subs tbh.

Sancho and Martial had to come off to start with, no one would disagree with that. Antony had to come off as Bruno is already suspended for the mext leg, Antony absolutely couldn't be trusted to keep his head, especially after kicking out at Acuna earlier.

The only debatable one is Bruno but Eriksen needs game time and we'll be playing the second leg without Bruno anyway so why not try that midfield for a bit.

Varane and Licha's injuries have nothing to do with his decision making.

What really fecked us in midfield especially was Casemiro being out of sorts which is understandable as he hasn't played for us in weeks. He was dreadful and it affected our ability to control the game.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I thought it was understandable that Martial came off. He's just gotten back from injury. Shame we don't have any other option other than Weghorst.
I'd have left Bruno and Antony on. Maybe play one of them false 9 and just crowd the midfield and see the game out.

The players he choose to bring on aren't good enough at this level. He had other choices on the bench.

Such a shame because after 25mins it was looking so rosy.

L1nk

I'd have left Bruno and Antony on. Maybe play one of them false 9 and just crowd the midfield and see the game out.

The players he choose to bring on aren't good enough at this level. He had other choices on the bench.

Such a shame because after 25mins it was looking so rosy.

Zoo

Regardless, why would any ref warn a manager about that?
It seemed obvious that the Sevilla players were influencing the ref more and more. Constantly complaining to him, at halftime too.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Sometimes you have to risk it.

I'd rather have Bruno and Antony walking the tightrope than Elanga and Weghorst anyday. The drop off in quality is insane. I have never known a bigger drop off in quality substitution and I don't even think Antony is amazing. That's just how bad those two are.

Fred should have come on. Don't get the logic sometimes with his subs.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I inderstand how we’re not controlling games as we have had no time to train while playing a match every 3 days since forever. It adds to my disbelief of trying to win everything in the first year and comes across as quite naive. We haven’t got the squad for it and and we haven’t got the playing style.

It’s a marathon not a sprint and I firmly believe we should have concentrated on one trophy and top four, get champions league qualification that would help signing better players and build from there. I really hope we don’t feck that because of burning out the first eleven.

who knows. We may still win the fa cup and Europa league but that seems a a massive stretch. I’m happy with patience and letting the team grow instead of killing it in one year.

RedDevilQuebecois

I'd rather have Bruno and Antony walking the tightrope than Elanga and Weghorst anyday. The drop off in quality is insane. I have never known a bigger drop off in quality substitution and I don't even think Antony is amazing. That's just how bad those two are.

This.

There was zero logic with at least 2 subs tonight. And now that Maguire fecked us up, I have to question Ten Hag's ability at detecting and trusting youth talents. If one of the kids can offer something that a veteran does not, the kid has to be given a genuine chance. It is the main area where I have to say Ten Hag < Van Gaal until further notice.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

The Fred thing is odd. Probably due to his thing of wanting his first choice players (Casemiro + Eriksen) to get back in rhythm or whatever he calls it.

But still no excuse to put a 3 man forward line out that would even look out of place in a 3rd round Carabao cup tie. Gifted them the game.

L1nk

If we were shocking and chasing the game i’d risk it, but considering we were 2-0 up, should have been more and were more likely to score I don’t think they were necessarily bad choices, only with hindsight they look bad. However the noticeable drop off in quality is insane that’s why we need new owners to invest in good squad players

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we were shocking and chasing the game i’d risk it, but considering we were 2-0 up, should have been more and were more likely to score I don’t think they were necessarily bad choices, only with hindsight they look bad. However the noticeable drop off in quality is insane that’s why we need new owners to invest in good squad players
It was naive beyond belief.

We could have just got Eriksen and Fred on and played the game out comfortably 2-0.

Bringing on loads of forward players who aren't even good made no sense. See the bleeding game out.

city-puma

As someone said, the ETH honeymoon period is over and we can now accept he is a manager that has it all to prove. Previously people were standing by every decision claiming "if ETH wants/plays him then I'm happy cos he must know" like he was infallible and it was annoying, since in his resume he only had dutch titles with Ajax. I feel he is facing his most testing period as all avenues are at risk. Hopefully when full strength we can have a solid end to the season
I don’t know what you are talking about. Most people here have strong beliefs in him. It doesn’t change for them during our difficult period now.

r0663664

Worships Man City
It looks like our season is falling apart but I am quite happy to see what ETH has does to the squad. I hope to ownership is resolve by June and there are funds provided. I believe that this man with other 5-7 signings will enable us to compete in all front. 2 FW, 2 MF, 1CB, 1 RB while letting go some non performing players.

Ceteris

Rashford got his chance after an injury to Martial on a game day

We took iqbal to preseason but hasn't had a look in since

During the league cup ran he would play full first team against Charlton and even in some FA Cup games

His squad management has been poor and so has his in game subs most of the time.

Better managers have stood in front of the cameras and admitted their faults. Not this man, he will blame players, principles and injuries.

But I believe in what he is trying to do and hopefully he gets more backing in the next window to make the squad better

Lost bear

Sorry, but it's unacceptable for him to blame injuries. He's got to take some responsibility for what happened. HE took off our entire front line + Bruno and replaced them with the likes of WW, Elanga and out of form Eriksen. And HE - once again - didn't prepare the players properly for the second half. We stopped playing football and the buck stops with him when something like that happens again and again.
Sack him! Hang him!

Lost bear

During the league cup ran he would play full first team against Charlton and even in some FA Cup games

His squad management has been poor and so has his in game subs most of the time.

Better managers have stood in front of the cameras and admitted their faults. Not this man, he will blame players, principles and injuries.

But I believe in what he is trying to do and hopefully he gets more backing in the next window to make the squad better
The key point is the final one.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
No problems with him today at all. It's a frustrating result with some real bad fortune but Malacia is a professional and let the whole team down. He doesn't do that, the same people throwing a fit on here are saying all hail EtH for giving an important rest to key players ahead of Forest.

The real issue tonight for me was how poor the midfield of Casemiro and Eriksen were. The latter in particular was simply invisible, offered no control whatsoever in a match where he should have been running the last 30 minutes.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He probably can’t win in some ways, if he keeps players on and they get injured he’s at fault, but if he makes changes and we struggle he’s at fault too. I think other than Weghorst none of the subs were terrible, maybe it’s worth always saving one for an injury but I don’t think many could have predicted that unfortunate end to the match.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Can't blame him too much. Even with the subs we should've scored a couple. Subs aren't the reason we got 2 own goals and Martinez got hurt. It is what it is. On to the next.

MUFC OK

Baffling subs. Never his fault though.

Poor old Erik. I still think he will be out Pep based on his (lack of) hairdo.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

Ole and Ralf did the same. Too many players in the squad just aren't up to it.

He only has signed 5 players plus Weghorst who is only here because of Glazernomics.

We are going to have to wait till he gets another 7-8 players of his own to do anything bar the top 4 race/cups.

NZT-One

Get used to it. It has happened to every manager here.

Like the players, the manager should be praised when he does well and criticised when he doesn't.

I like ten Hag but I still haven't gotten over the bad taste from the 7-0 to be honest with you. That should never happen under any United manager. Can't believe he didn't, or couldn't, get the team to shut up shop.
I think, you are onto something here... Regardless of personell and the specific game tonight, ETH doesn't seem to have an idea on how to inject control and/or security into our team. Not just by bringing player xyz onto the pitch but system wise. Was baffled more than once this season why he insisted on not going for a McFred midfield to see out a game. Some times it worked fro him, some times it didn't. Think he might be suffering from the same thing that Pep suffered from - trying to be too clever and an aversity to being pragmatic. I am sure the schedule and the rotation we haven't done in the last months and weeks also play a huge part but that will be something ETH has to show the ability to develop.

That is why so many have their issues with Bruno as a captain. He is passion and instinct player and a great one at that. But you have to pay a price. I'd love to look into the future to find out, if he will overcome that at some point in the future.

MUFC OK

I think, you are onto something here... Regardless of personell and the specific game tonight, ETH doesn't seem to have an idea on how to inject control and/or security into our team. Not just by bringing player xyz onto the pitch but system wise. Was baffled more than once this season why he insisted on not going for a McFred midfield to see out a game. Some times it worked fro him, some times it didn't. Think he might be suffering from the same thing that Pep suffered from - trying to be too clever and an aversity to being pragmatic. I am sure the schedule and the rotation we haven't done in the last months and weeks also play a huge part but that will be something ETH has to show the ability to develop.

That is why so many have their issues with Bruno as a captain. He is passion and instinct player and a great one at that. But you have to pay a price. I'd love to look into the future to find out, if he will overcome that at some point in the future.
How many red cards has Bruno received for us again? In nearly 4 years?

Blood Mage

Our passing is inexcusably bad at times. I think he needs to add an extra coach to his staff to help us improve in that regard because a poor Sevilla side passed us off the park in that second half.

DSG

He probably cost us the semifinal with his poor tactics (second half especially), bad subs and lack of adjustment in dealing with their high press.

He’s been very good this season, but that was a complete shitshow. He’s had a few of these now. Our previous bad habits are starting to creep back into our game.