Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

The-Mezzala

Have we appointed the dutch Wenger. Pretty football at times but no steel or grit and we look so open at the back. Hopefully he gets a good window in the summer with his players to be properly judged. But so fat this season seen a lot of worrying signs. Tonight was one

Last edited:

Fooza

It's such a speculative take. Sevilla had grown into the game with our best players on anyway.

They might have scored cleaner goals...who knows
That's why you manage subs well because they were growing into the game and controlling it

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Which made taking him off even more hilarious.
I just don't get it. It's such a baffling decision, you're basically letting the opposition play 120 mins against you without your most creative and hardest working player.

Siorac

Had a bit of a shocker with the subs it has to be said.

Problem is if he keeps them in there is a risk of injury and if he makes changes the likes of Elanga etc aren’t good enough
He could have thrown Fred on for a bit more energy in midfield. Admittedly, it wouldn't have helped much with the ball retention issues but neither did Elanga.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
So basically, the Caf has concluded that absolutely none of it was bad luck and it's purely down to poor management?

Mental take. Definitely time to log off and stay clear of the returning vultures :lol:

E-mal

You’ve got to be taking the piss here.
His in game management and overall squad management can be better. We have had an awful amount of injuries and I believe most have been from lack of rotation at the right time.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Elanga came on because Sancho was playing like ass. We don't have other options. If you leave a player on that's playing horribly, people would complain about that as well.
Bruno should have moved out to the left. It's not like he hasn't played there before. Hell, even Fred probably should have been ahead of Elanga in that situation where we were starting to lose control and we were weakening ourselves further with the subs.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He’s been crucified on here when it comes to leaving players on too long, and he gets the same treatment when he makes earlier subs.
I honestly don’t think Ten Hag can win with certain groups of the fan base, he’s in the wrong no matter what he does.
He is a manager. His job is to get things right and make right decisions. If he gets it right, he is praised. If he gets it wrong, he is criticised. Simple as that.
Guardiola is praised last few days because of his backline with 4 central defenders. When he did such experiments in the past and lost, he was criticised.

Erik fecked up today.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
So basically, the Caf has concluded that absolutely none of it was bad luck and it's purely down to poor management?

Mental take. Definitely time to log off and stay clear of the returning vultures :lol:
bringing on wout and elanga is not bad luck, ruined the game

spiriticon

Wasn't bad luck that we started to fall off a cliff after 30 minutes. We were 2-0 up, just need to slow the game, keep possession and keep poking for a third.

After 30 min I don't know what we were trying to do. Felt like we wanted to throw the damn game away. Then those subs...ugh.

InfiniteBoredom

That triple sub is probably his biggest misstep so far
A player who was stinking the place out, a player with the most played minutes for us this season, and a player made of glass who just returned from injury and also our best current attacker. All when we are 2-0 up, at home.

Yeah this ain’t it, chief.

Appletonred

Ultimately, the book always stops with the manager and recently he has actually lost a bit of credit, having said that, the injuries and suspensions across the squad obviously haven't helped.

Chief123

Had a bit of a shocker with the subs it has to be said.

Problem is if he keeps them in there is a risk of injury and if he makes changes the likes of Elanga etc aren’t good enough
The exact same forum complained when he refused to take off Rashford when we were 2-0 up against Everton.

We were just as comfortable in this game if not more, but now he’ll be lambasted for making the subs to protect players. Can’t win.

sepulturite

My god the usual suspects come crawling out from their caves after a bad result again to shit all over EtH. I swear if I had the time I guarantee I could find old posts of theirs defending and praising Ole and Jose to the hilt when similar things happened back then. Some just can't help their agenda.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Subs were poor. But they should have been down to 10 men. The refs have really screwed us over in the Europa league this season. At least we can now concentrate on the league in May.

Eddy_JukeZ

Hopefully we beat them in the 2nd leg. There's periods where we look absolutely allergic to playing football. Hopefully he can rectify.

I don't think Bruno should have been subbed when he's already going to miss the 2nd leg.

He needs to stop playing Weghorst just full stop. It's actually concerning that Ten Hag brought him in.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
A player who was stinking the place out, a player with the most played minutes for us this season, and a player made of glass who just returned from injury and also our best current attacker. All when we are 2-0 up, at home.

Yeah this ain’t it, chief.
Nothing wrong with bringing off Martial and Sancho... But Elanga? And leaving on Malacia who was a walking disaster?...yeah, not great.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
The HT sub, which had to be made really handicapped us.

I feel the 3 sub change quite early on in the 2nd half was bold, because a 3 goal cushion was needed to truly put a defensive minded setup, but a mixture of bad luck just blew up this major change.

Mixed feelings.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I didn't watch the ball but having WW and Elanga doesn't seem smart. We have always known Elanga is a non-factor, I have not seen anything good for Elanga in all his substitute performance. WW is WW, a limited hardworking players who can't score. I can understand what ETH is trying to do. WW can be a disruptor in midfield and hit Seville on the counter. In sound good in theory but it doesn't really work that way with limited players.

spiriticon

My god the usual suspects come crawling out from their caves after a bad result again to shit all over EtH. I swear if I had the time I guarantee I could find old posts of theirs defending and praising Ole and Jose to the hilt when similar things happened back then. Some just can't help their agenda.
Get used to it. It has happened to every manager here.

Like the players, the manager should be praised when he does well and criticised when he doesn't.

I like ten Hag but I still haven't gotten over the bad taste from the 7-0 to be honest with you. That should never happen under any United manager. Can't believe he didn't, or couldn't, get the team to shut up shop.

el3mel

These goals were coming. The luck would have been to win this 2-0.

Irwin99

Not defending some of his in game management but we have a big match against Forest on Sunday and Bruno was on a yellow, Sancho was awful again and I don't quite know why he takes off Antony when he plays well. Martial was never going to last the 90 either. I do understand people saying some of those subs should have happened only when the game should have been killed off at 3-0 but hopefully he'll rip into some if these players squandering good chances to kill games.

Game was going fine until a horrendous error by Malacia.

el3mel

We haven't really recovered that much from the Liverpool debacle. Things have been shit since that day.

sepulturite

Get used to it. It has happened to every manager here.

Like the players, the manager should be praised when he does well and criticised when he doesn't.

I like ten Hag but I still haven't gotten over the bad taste from the 7-0 to be honest with you. That should never happen under any United manager.
I agree he should be praised and criticised, no issues there, it's the nutters calling for him to basically be sacked I have a problem with. And I can almost guarantee they are either Ole or Jose acolytes.

el3mel

How were they coming? They did not have one good chance the entire game.
We were godawful in 2nd half mate. Instead of killing the game we basically surrendered the ball and were content to defend our lead. It was coming. This always backfires.

KjaAnd

Sorry, but it's unacceptable for him to blame injuries. He's got to take some responsibility for what happened. HE took off our entire front line + Bruno and replaced them with the likes of WW, Elanga and out of form Eriksen. And HE - once again - didn't prepare the players properly for the second half. We stopped playing football and the buck stops with him when something like that happens again and again.

InfiniteBoredom

Nothing wrong with bringing off Martial and Sancho... But Elanga? And leaving on Malacia who was a walking disaster?...yeah, not great.
We created enough chances to kill the game after the subs. No manager could’ve forseen the utter shitshow that is 2 o.gs off innocuous deflections. That, coupled with Antony’s shot hitting the post, was some voodoo shit we experienced today.

I’ll hold him accountable for the Pellistri sub, however. You always leave 1 sub in case of injury unless desperate, and at that point with the personnel we had on the field, it was better to take the 2-0 than trying to kill off the tie with a sub that ended up leaving us playing with 10 men for the last 10 minutes.

Name Changed

weso26
He really has to take a massive amount of blame for this. I like him and he has improved us immensely, but he does make awful decisions sometimes. I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about letting him buy any more Dutch or Dutch based players either.

Anyway, still a far better manager than the last 2 put together.