Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Jim Ratcliffe: "We kept Erik ten Hag because he is a good coach. We have had good coaches since Ferguson, and none have succeeded. The root of the problem is not the coach, it is the environment around it. We must improve this environment"

Oh look even INEOS realised that it is more than the coach.
They'll eventually realise the coach does need to be up to the task though. It's not one or the other. Anyway, they obviously realise this as they spoke to other coaches and almost replaced him.

romufc

They'll eventually realise the coach does need to be up to the task though. It's not one or the other. Anyway, they obviously realise this as they spoke to other coaches and almost replaced him.
Agree, a coach has to be up to the task.

The environment has to be up to the task too. We have seen coaches that are up to the task in LVG and Jose dont forget and neither came close to competing for PL or CL.

So I get your idea is to change coaches till we get it right.

However; I am on INEOS camp on this one, lets change the environment to give the coaches best chance of suceeding, if they dont we change the coach, with a better environment,

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
A bit odd saying this considering we finished above them without some of our first 11 all season.
Big achievement. Fortunate to finish above Palace after they sacked their manager mid way though the season.

NLunited

No meltdown here, though if you’re concerned about typos my defense is that I typically post from my phone, which has a glass keyboard.

In any event, no caftard should be under the impression that ETH will be here for years to come. He might, but after INEOS did what it did during those two and a half weeks it’s pretty clear ETH has very little goodwill in the bank with Sir Jim and others.
Your typos were impressive; I wonder what quirk made the letters jump around like that.

How long ETH will be here depends on many factors. He will have to build a better relationship with the owners, and vice versa.

Kirk lazarus

I don't understand your point, Manchester United's squad is inarguably better than Crystal Palace's.

What's confusing me is that I just read (paraphrased) "let's revisit this in six months to see if United are above Palace in the table as, if so, this will prove that ETH is the better Manager."

That's a statement in defence of ETH. It's an indictment of how far expectations have fallen.
To be fair that post is another users reply to a guy who says ETH is crap and that United have worse squad / first 11 than palace .

It was a fair comment to make in that context. There's a contradiction somewhere if a poster is arguing to sack a manager that he accepts has a worse 11 than palace . That is what that is about .

Personally , I think United's squad was not inarguably superior enough to be able to field a better 11 than palace when they tonked us .

That's my thoughts , but I'm going to step out of here now. Its to entrenched . I agree with arguments from both sides , but I'm glad they got to the decision they did . I still think he's a good manager who can play good football and will , I've no problem with people who don't share that idea .

Oranges038

See Alvarez links popping up, another former player on the horizon.

That'll go down well.

Leftback99

Well you’re the one whinging saying our squad is on par to theirs.
No whinging about it, I simply stated something I believe is true. I didn't say 'squad' either I said first XI. And I didn't say on a par I said not much between them. But nice try.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
No whinging about it, I simply stated something I believe is true. I didn't say 'squad' either I said first XI. And I didn't say on a par I said not much between them. But nice try.
So we didn’t do too bad then considering we finished 11 pts above them with playing our first 11 about 4 times all season.

Leftback99

So we didn’t do too bad then considering we finished 11 pts above them with playing our first 11 about 4 times all season.
They sacked their manager and their key attackers missed far more of the season.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
A lot of the people defending ETH who are talking about the importance of having a good structure around him are simultaneously making posts in the transfer forum defending the fact that our transfer strategy this summer apparently continues to be manager-driven.

So which one is it then? Bit of cognitive dissonance.

aganley

No silly nicknames
A lot of the people defending ETH who are talking about the importance of having a good structure around him are simultaneously making posts in the transfer forum defending the fact that our transfer strategy this summer apparently continues to be manager-driven.

Good job INEOS don't take you rubbish on board, we could have ended up with Southshite.

FerociousCorgis

I almost fell like new ownership group is trying too hard to make it seem like they are just so smart and see things we can't possibly see. When in reality it was pretty obvious how eth wanted to set us up was total shit. Game after game of looking the lesser team regardless of who we had playing or who we were playing. Hope they are right but man is hard to see right now

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Well, after watching England bore me half to death, I think any thoughts anyone has of thinking that Southgate would br a good manager for us then they need a frontal lobotomy.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Good job INEOS don't take you rubbish on board, we could have ended up with Southshite.
Nobody in this thread, in or out, wanted Southgate to be hired. What a ridiculous straw man argument.

I also see you didn't address my comment, which is unsurprising.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Honestly, we should go all out on Southgate at this point, Southgate is undoubtably the most depressing manager i've ever had the displeasure of watching.

ArmaDino

Quality control
I have answered it, twice in fact.

This is a Ten Hag thread not a Rashford one.

You are spouting essays worth of waffle.
Gotta love it how it works. We are talking about ETH and how he was let down by the players. Then this happens.

Can you give me a list of the problem players?
I do. And then all I get is "muh Rashford", completely ignoring all the other players. And then "this iS a eTh THreaD".

And you still haven't answered what would happen with Rashford at other clubs like Liverpool or City for that matter. Same thing about ETH and Ole is not an answer btw.

But nice bit of gaslighting there. Thank you for showing your true colors.

davidmichael

At least we don’t have to worry ourselves to death over Southgate getting the job as he’s doing a great job of showing Ineos why he should never be allowed near us.

GoldanoGraham

At least we don’t have to worry ourselves to death over Southgate getting the job as he’s doing a great job of showing Ineos why he should never be allowed near us.
Agreed……it’s a struggle to think who would employ him….his tactical setup knowledge is div 2 at best.

Dint think he will appear in the Prem - maybe MLS level at best

Mike Smalling

Not that it matters much, but his comments about Southgate after the Serbia game describes perfectly what happened tonight as well.

bosskeano

Southgate must have spent time with EtH and taken a few of his ideas to the english training grounds

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Are people actually calling for the transfer strategy to be manager-driven? Or are there wild assumptions based on the targets? (Or perhaps your own straw-man argument here?)

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Insulting another member
Death Taxes and Leftback99 bitching are the 3 certainties in life

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Are people actually calling for the transfer strategy to be manager-driven? Or are there wild assumptions based on the targets? (Or perhaps your own straw-man argument here?)
Not calling for it per se, but defending it based on emerging targets

stevoc

Gotta love it how it works. We are talking about ETH and how he was let down by the players. Then this happens.
You asked a question, I answered it. I've no time to read multiple essay long rants about Rashford mate. And I've even less desire to get drawn into a tedious, multi post off topic discussion.

I do. And then all I get is "muh Rashford", completely ignoring all the other players. And then "this iS a eTh THreaD".

And you still haven't answered what would happen with Rashford at other clubs like Liverpool or City for that matter. Same thing about ETH and Ole is not an answer btw.

But nice bit of gaslighting there. Thank you for showing your true colors.
I asked you to list the players you think are bad eggs within the current squad causing this culture problem.

Then as evidence of a culture problem within the current squad you give me a list of 8 players, Pogba, Lingard, Bailly, Henderson, DeGea, Martial, Rashford and Sancho. 4 of which never played under Ten Hag, DeGea who left last year, Martial who's barely been fit or part of the squad all season, Sancho who was excluded from the squad in September and then loaned never to return. Which leaves just Rashford, great argument. And I replied to that point.

It seems like me you don't actually think there is a culture problem at all, you think it basically all boils down to Rashford.
And you still haven't answered what would happen with Rashford at other clubs like Liverpool or City for that matter.
Ugh, hopefully third time's a charm.

They'd give him a new contract or sell him or loan him or let him run his contract down or make him player/manager.

They'd obviously do the same thing with Rashford that they'd do with Ten Hag if he'd managed them to their worst season in over 3 decades. Get rid.

valeron21

Just watched Austria playing quite nicely and wondering about Ragnick.

football fans are fickle, especially at Utd, as a fan base we seem to react to each match with a few that see the bigger picture. Ultimately we had a shite season but won a cup, any team can raise their game for an fa cup final, fortunately for Eric it was the last game of the season and we have several months before it restarts. We as fans have a lovely memory that will carry us all through summer until next season. I’d be amazed if he can turn it around (hope he can) but I don’t see it and I suspect after 3 games next season the majority that wanted him gone , then changed to him staying after the the fa cup win will be again against him, he will be gone by Xmas.

What I had wondered though is the Southgate links and I was thinking I could vaguely see a plan for why they wanted him. If INEOS have a 5 years plan (which they should), in year 4/5 Utd should be aiming for premier league titles and champions leagues. That’s 3 years of rebuild before we seriously compete. We can all see the culture at the club has been awful, England culture before Southgate took over was the lowest it’s been in my lifetime. Perhaps they see him as the guy to reset the culture as he did at England.

The football would be diabolical , results likely poor except for a cup run or two but what if we’re slowly buying some young talent and putting them into the New Southgate culture which they seem to enjoy, 2 years in it’s not worked with him And we have a good group of young players about to hit their prime with a clear managerial candidate to take over (e.g McKenna if he does well on next couple of years). That would make sense to me, can I accept 2-3 years of shite to be competing in 4-5 years , I could , I’d be interested if anyone else could ?

Way I see it is we’ve really been through 10 years of crap, why not have the patience to suffer a a few years if that’s what it takes to conpete again?

I’m not a fan of Southgate and hope he doesn’t get the job, just playing devils advocate and interested to see if folks would have the patience in that hypothetical scenario for a rebuild with Southgate at the helm

erikcred

What I had wondered though is the Southgate links and I was thinking I could vaguely see a plan for why they wanted him. If INEOS have a 5 years plan (which they should), in year 4/5 Utd should be aiming for premier league titles and champions leagues. That’s 3 years of rebuild before we seriously compete. We can all see the culture at the club has been awful, England culture before Southgate took over was the lowest it’s been in my lifetime. Perhaps they see him as the guy to reset the culture as he did at England.

The football would be diabolical , results likely poor except for a cup run or two but what if we’re slowly buying some young talent and putting them into the New Southgate culture which they seem to enjoy, 2 years in it’s not worked with him And we have a good group of young players about to hit their prime with a clear managerial candidate to take over (e.g McKenna if he does well on next couple of years). That would make sense to me, can I accept 2-3 years of shite to be competing in 4-5 years , I could , I’d be interested if anyone else could ?

Way I see it is we’ve really been through 10 years of crap, why not have the patience to suffer a a few years if that’s what it takes to conpete again?

I’m not a fan of Southgate and hope he doesn’t get the job, just playing devils advocate and interested to see if folks would have the patience in that hypothetical scenario for a rebuild with Southgate at the helm
What. The. Feck.

The devil's gonna fire you as his advocate and probably make you play under Southgate for this post.

hobbers

Remember when people said all Ole needed were some changes in his coaching staff to make up for his weaknesses.

Down the line we learn that it was his coaching staff, McKenna and Carrick, doing all the best work and keeping the wheels from flying off much earlier than they did.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Remember when people said all Ole needed were some changes in his coaching staff to make up for his weaknesses.

Down the line we learn that it was his coaching staff, McKenna and Carrick, doing all the best work and keeping the wheels from flying off much earlier than they did.

Unless those are the changes he wants, it's only going to end one way, in a disaster. You can't thrust a manager with a staff he doesn't want or believes in.

hobbers

Unless those are the changes he wants, it's only going to end one way, in a disaster. You can't thrust a manager with a staff he doesn't want or believes in.
Yeah so unless it's a guy from Ajax or someone he's worked with previously, safe to assume it's forced on him and he wont like it.

Marcus

Benny McCarthy, South African Striker turned coach, part of ETHs staff responsible for coaching out strikers. He also scored against us as a player, in that Porto tie which earned Mourinho the CL later on. Big Man Utd fan too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benni_McCarthy

Edit: According to the wiki, he scored 2 goals in that tie against us.
He was never an elite-level striker. Not sure why he got the striker coaching job.