Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

RedRover

There is no point in keeping Ten Hag if we don’t properly back him.

Based on how the season went, the ‘review’ and ensuing uncertainty was warranted.

It probably got really close to sacking him.

The benefit of keeping Ten Hag would be to continue the process started instead of focusing on short term results. He continued the process this season despite the injury crisis which cost us in the league.

To do that you need to back the manager. The other choice is to sack him and start over again. We tried that over and over.

Keeping him without renewing his contract isn’t going to work. The media are relentlessly trying to tear him and us down; now that they have recovered from being completely in the wrong they are fully at it again.

Remember he can still be dismissed, new contract or not. But importantly l, it shows the club backs him and takes the wind out of the sails of disgruntled players that should not be here and the media.
That's fine, and I'd agree entirely if there was any actually process or plan clearly evident on the pitch. Instead, we're two years in, have a squad full of rubbish (many of whom Ten Hag recommended) and are no further forward. In fact, you might make a case that we've gone backwards.

All other succesful clubs sack managers who don't meet the required standards and appoint someone else. That's modern football.

Rewarding a manager who performed so poorly in their job with a new deal, likely on better terms, is the wrong decision. Pressure from the press isn't a reason to renew his contract. If he can't take pressure from the press he hasn't got what's required to manage United, or indeed probably any top club. It's arguably the most high profile job in the game and that's not going to change.

A two year extension at £9 million a year and presumably new contracts for his staff as well is a huge sum to deal with in terms of pay offs. Add to that the potential cost of compensation for a new manager and his staff, assuming you don't just take someone out of a job and it's knocking on £30 million.

He's staying so that's that, but for this to have any prospects of working they need to back him to bring in players to play the style he wants. If that doesn't work, let's hope the next man doesn't want 10 of the squad out.

The club is "backing him", but based on what? Because they couldn't get Tuchel or someone else?

alexthelion

Alexthelion is a fully paid up Glazer stooge.

I’m surprised anyone pays his opinions any attention after the way he conducted himself during the protests a couple of years ago.
Spouting a lot of shit here.

What did I do/say during the protests that has so annoyed you?

Amir

I think everyone knows Antony isnt good enough. Name me 1 manager that gets 100% of signings right?
No one, of course. And a manager shouldn't even pick signings like ETH did.

It's just a little concerning that he looked at him and saw a United player there. Because ultimately you do expect some sound judgement regarding players and their abilities as he does pick up the lineup, etc.

SparcMac

No one, of course. And a manager shouldn't even pick signings like ETH did.

It's just a little concerning that he looked at him and saw a United player there. Because ultimately you do expect some sound judgement regarding players and their abilities as he does pick up the lineup, etc.
Sometimes you get things wrong, reminding everyone that years ago Atletico paid 120m for Joao Felix.

Nickelodeon

There is no point in keeping Ten Hag if we don’t properly back him.

Based on how the season went, the ‘review’ and ensuing uncertainty was warranted.

It probably got really close to sacking him.

The benefit of keeping Ten Hag would be to continue the process started instead of focusing on short term results. He continued the process this season despite the injury crisis which cost us in the league.

To do that you need to back the manager. The other choice is to sack him and start over again. We tried that over and over.

Keeping him without renewing his contract isn’t going to work. The media are relentlessly trying to tear him and us down; now that they have recovered from being completely in the wrong they are fully at it again.

Remember he can still be dismissed, new contract or not. But importantly l, it shows the club backs him and takes the wind out of the sails of disgruntled players that should not be here and the media.
I have been a supporter of Ten Hag and have argued for him to stay even before we won the FA Cup. However, it would be absolutely ridiculous to give him a new contract which doesn't have some sort of sacking clause which protects the clubs finances. Ten Hag not getting sacked is backing enough. However, if we're still performing in the same way come December, what rationale would be there to keep him on? He has 12 months on his deal and the club has an option to extend that by another 12 months. As the management, how can you justify giving him another contract when he's done quite poorly, barely escaped the sack and still has another 24 months?

We sacked Jose and Ole the same year they were given contract extensions. Let's not find more avenues to burn money.

romufc

Both of whom did relatively well at Arsenal and are now ready to be moved on to make room for improvements. Not even remotely comparable to one of our biggest ever transfer flops. Try again.
Okay so now we talking about one of our biggest flops? What does that mean? top? top 3?

We have had loads of flops.

Di Maria
Pogba
Lukaku
Matic
Fred
Alexis
Maguire
AWB
Donny
Sancho
Antony

Take your pick

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Okay so now we talking about one of our biggest flops? What does that mean? top? top 3?

We have had loads of flops.

Di Maria
Pogba
Lukaku
Matic
Fred
Alexis
Maguire
AWB
Donny
Sancho
Antony

Take your pick
We're just going around in circles now. Your argument seems to be "we've had big flops in the past, so we can just hand-wave away ETH's questionable judgment when it comes to signings".

Bit harsh to call Maguire and Fred flops btw, and I say that as a huge Fred "hater". Poor value for money spent, sure.

romufc

We're just going around in circles now. Your argument seems to be "we've had big flops in the past, so we can just hand-wave away ETH's questionable judgment when it comes to signings".

Bit harsh to call Maguire and Fred flops btw, and I say that as a huge Fred "hater". Poor value for money spent, sure.
No we cant but there is a consistent theme. Manchester United football club do not have the ability to recruit players.

Its just as simple as that. Every player that has ever come to Manutd has left for a lesser club for free or basic fee. No player has enhanced his reputation at Manutd.

So in theory, all of our signings have been flops.

matt10000

Because it's quite clear to me the decision was a bit "emotional" and based on what the fans wanted. I am convinced the "business" decision was to get rid, but somehow one game must've changed the owners mind what I don't like because that's not a good way to run a football club.

The bolded part would be even better if we had a competent manager.
‘emotional?’ no they took a while to make the decision was obviously very considered

‘What the fans wanted?’ if they read this forum that wouldn’t be the case

FortunaUtd

First of all, sincere congratulations to @BenitoSTARR , @VP89 , @NLunited, @astracrazy, not to forget @Sarni of course, and all the other posters who kept the faith and fought the manager's corner even though it seemed a ludicrous stance to take at times. I still kind of think it is, and I find INEOS sticking with him quite surprising and rather risky. But then again everything is risky, and what the feck do I know :lol:.
I simply hope very, very much that I've been completely wrong all this time and I will certainly try my best to regain the faith in Ten Hag that you managed to never lose.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
First of all, sincere congratulations to @BenitoSTARR , @VP89 , @NLunited, @astracrazy, not to forget @Sarni of course, and all the other posters who kept the faith and fought the manager's corner even though it seemed a ludicrous stance to take at times. I still kind of think it is, and I find INEOS sticking with him quite surprising and rather risky. But then again everything is risky, and what the feck do I know :lol:.
I simply hope very, very much that I've been completely wrong all this time and I will certainly try my best to regain the faith in Ten Hag that you managed to never lose.
Ha @Sarni wasnt pro ten hag though :lol:

Lets just enjoy next season now.

black country red

I like ten hag and I glad he is staying but I think first dodgy spell sir tax exile will not hesitate to sack him hope to shit they are still not casting doe eyes at Southgate

stevoc

how big of a mess is Manchester United in after the last 11 years? How long does that take to sort out? How much money will need to be invested? Has the recruitment been good enough? Are the facilities ready to harvest the best of the best? The best stadium and fan experience? Do United operate like world beaters? Fully commited and invested in competing with the best on the football field? Best in class throughout the whole club?

You tell me, how long does that take to sort out?

Then you got to sell I’d say probably 8/9 of these first team players, sign quality replacements and have patience with the youth coming through on top of that.

how long does it take?
Longer than you can probably give any one manager in truth.

Suv666

I’ve made my peace with ten hag

Even though I think it’s an incredibly dumb decision based on a single game rather than the obvious blunders and failures throughout the year. And we’ll be looking for a new manager guaranteed 2 months into the season.

I mean we bought Mount just to sit on the bench that alone is a sackable offence imo.
My guy wasn’t able to figure out that 2 number 10s wouldn’t work who could have predicted that?!

I guess I’m not totally over it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Even though I think it’s an incredibly dumb decision based on a single game rather than the obvious blunders and failures throughout the year. And we’ll be looking for a new manager guaranteed 2 months into the season.

I mean we bought Mount just to sit on the bench that alone is a sackable offence imo.
My guy wasn’t able to figure out that 2 number 10s wouldn’t work who could have predicted that?!

I think our entire midfield mess would have been prevented by just signing De Jong when ETH requested him. Instead we spent millions on Casemiro and Mount, both of whom don't look like they are going to have much of a role going forward for different reasons (Casemiro's decline, Mount's positional fit).

romufc

:lol: :lol: :lol: I love when people moan for sake of it.

Mount was injured this season just to let you know.

stevoc

Maybe the real magic formula to find SAF mk2 all this while is to give the manager enough time and support to make it work? Proven with SAF himself, Arsene Wenger, Arteta, Pep, Klopp, Diego Simeone and etc.
You are never going to find another Ferguson, he's a once in a lifetime manager. No amount of time will transform just any manager into one of the best ever.

Wenger and Pep both won the title in their second seasons in England I believe. Klopp and Simone both won European trophies within 2-3 years.

Ferguson is a bit of an outlier in getting so much time to win a title. Granted he couldn't compete in Europe between 86-90. Though he did win the CWC in his 4th season and first season back in Europe.

Ineos team may have a point here. With proper structure at Ajax, ETH played brilliant attacking football and did very well in Europe with limited budget. The question is why he failed so badly in Man Utd? Maybe this is something we need to look at rather than changing manager again?
Injuries and a stupid system with no midfield mostly explain last season.

FortunaUtd

I think our entire midfield mess would have been prevented by just signing De Jong when ETH requested him. Instead we spent millions on Casemiro and Mount, both of whom don't look like they are going to have much of a role going forward for different reasons (Casemiro's decline, Mount's positional fit).
Thankfully we can now focus our entire summer on re-trying to sign De Jong.

romufc

Wenger and Pep both won the title in their second seasons in England I believe. Klopp and Simone both won European trophies within 2-3 years.
Pep took over a PL winning team.

Klopp took over in October 2015 and won the Cl in June 2019.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

I can overlook a lot of it because he’s dealt with many shitshows. For Greenwood and Antony to have criminal issues and Rashford and Sancho to fall into complete malaises is wild, especially given how quickly so much of it unravelled. I wouldn’t expect a manager to have a good solution to that problem.

But the system he went in with this year was ludicrous. To have Casemiro as the one man midfield was disastrous. Fair enough to test a wild idea but to stick to it for so long in spite of such clear feedback is impossible for me to get by.

I have zero trust in him at this point.

RuudTom83

In the league Mount was injured for 24 out of the 38 games. His longest spell without getting injured was 6 games.

Suv666

In the league Mount was injured for 24 out of the 38 games. His longest spell without getting injured was 6 games.
how many matches did he spent on the bench in all comps?
Its gotta be more than 14 games (which is still a sizeable amount)

romufc

Aye mate can’t help someone blind who didn’t spot Mount warming the bench bazillion times this season.
If we went by your logic, every manager would be sacked because alot of managers including Pep, Klopp, Arteta, Anchelotti buy players that they have on their bench.

That is the reason football is a squad game not 11 man sport.

Cant help someone who thinks every player that gets signed plays 100% of the games, even if they are injured for 70% of the season

Valencia Shin Crosses

How did people not see something like this coming? We'd just won the FA Cup final, it seems most of the matchgoing fans are still behind him, the players clearly still wanted him.

There was always a chance this could happen and I'm hoping it goes well next year. If we just have a fit Rashford, Shaw and Martinez we'll be ten times better. Two new signings on top of that and we're golden.
Surely we aren't still relying on Rashford for consistent production...

He was fit majority of the year anyways.

saik

He wasn’t injured for 38 games
He sat on the bench a lot
Im sure someone can find those stats
i’m too lazy
How many matches was he match fit for? I'm sure you'll be moaning next that he was rushed back if he was back straight into the starting lineup.

Suv666

If we went by your logic, every manager would be sacked because alot of managers including Pep, Klopp, Arteta, Anchelotti buy players that they have on their bench.

That is the reason football is a squad game not 11 man sport.

Cant help someone who thinks every player that gets signed plays 100% of the games, even if they are injured for 70% of the season
Mount was bought for the first team
And was discarded because the tactics didn’t work

There’s a difference between buying players for squad depth and buying someone to be your star number 7

I’m sure you know that but you’re being obtuse on purpose

stevoc

Were the Glazers here in the period between Sir Matt and Sir Alex?
No but they were most definitely here in the ''we're just a cup winning team'' period you are referring to below. In fact they are primarily the reason why Manchester United has been relegated to a mere ''cup winning team''.

I really do wish people would stop this "We're Manchester United" nonsense.

Apart from two great managers in recent times we're just a cup winning team.

FortunaUtd

how many matches did he spent on the bench in all comps?
Its gotta be more than 14 games (which is still a sizeable amount)
The answer is 13 games on the bench in all competitions, 12 of which he came on as a sub. He started 8 games in all competitions and was injured for 26. So he was injured for more than half of the season which basically justifies summarizing it as injured all the time.

romufc

Mount was bought for the first team
And was discarded because the tactics didn’t work

There’s a difference between buying players for squad depth and buying someone to be your star number 7

I’m sure you know that but you’re being obtuse on purpose
Im sure you understand what injuries do? They stop a player from playing football.

When players come from a long injury lay off, they usually also spend 3/4 games on the bench to get match fit.

Im obtuse then what are you being?

Suv666

Im sure you understand what injuries do? They stop a player from playing football.

When players come from a long injury lay off, they usually also spend 3/4 games on the bench to get match fit.

Im obtuse then what are you being?
Sure mate. You’re right I give up
Mount signing was a masterclass actually and he totally fits into the team.

stevoc

Pep took over a PL winning team.
True but they hadn't won the title in 2 years and he drastically changed the squad. Between 2014 and 2018 I doubt they had many of the same players left.

Klopp took over in October 2015 and won the Cl in June 2019.
Well yeah that's what I said. :confused: He took over midway through the 15-16 season and won a European cup in 2019. That's 3 years.

I assume most people are like myself and don't count taking over mid-season with no transfer window or Pre-season as a full season.

romufc

True but they hadn't won the title in 2 years and he drastically changed the squad. Between 2014 and 2018 I doubt they had many of the same players left.

Well yeah that's what I said. :confused: He took over midway through the 15-16 season and won a European cup in 2019. That's 3 years.

I assume most people are like myself and don't count taking over mid-season with no transfer window or Pre-season as a full season.
Fair enough but also, I think everyone on here would agree, if a manager like Pep / Klopp was available, we would all be on board sacking Ten Hag for them.

There are barely any managers with that pedigree available at the moment.