Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been busy recently, but when I looked at the league table, we are only 7 points behind City who are first, the teams ahead of us dropped alot of points too which makes it respectable.

I know we are shit right now but there is a chance to salvage the league (as in secure top 4)
'Only' 7 points is more likely to double by the end of the year than get any closer. We're playing terribly and have had an easy run of games so far.

Don’t you know? Unless you have signed all 25 players in a squad, then it’s not your squad and by extension you bear absolutely no responsibility for the performances and results.

Sarcasm aside, the discussion of whether the squad is good enough is also a judgement on the manager. He made 11 permanent signings in 15 months (after having previously won a boardroom battle to oust Rangnick and the previous scouting team) most of which were his personal choices.

If the team is playing/performing too poorly for its quality level, tha’s squarely with him. And if the squad quality is poor, then that’s at least partly on him. There’s just no way he can be rationally shielded from all criticism.

EDIT: Also it’s insteresting to hear the rational explanation of why the more the team becomes “his” the worse it is performing.
This.

It shows how clueless he has been. He bought players for one reason and then bought into the utd dna shite, playing completely different than what he used to at his previous club. If you want to play direct transition football, why buy Antony for 90m? Just a dumpster fire situation. He should have moulded/built a squad to play the way he did at Ajax but instead decided to build a system to get the best out of the shower of shit we have here.

The way his teams play is a testament to this situation - clueless.

'Only' 7 points is more likely to double by the end of the year than get any closer. We're playing terribly and have had an easy run of games so far.

We played terribly for 12 weeks of PL football yet we are still not that far off, hence why I think there is a chance to keep up but you are right in the sense that we can't continue to be shit and the team must start to perform far far better to capitalize on the opportunity the oppos gave us when they dropped points

So rather than the same old sniping, what should the coach do to build momentum from hereon in in the season. Change of formation? Tinker to get the best out of a player who hasn't been performing yet? More of the same but with injured players hopefully returning? What should the future look like for the rest of this season?

Personally I'd like to see Garnacho or Mount play on the right and have Antony coming off the bench. He usually seems to put in a strong performance off the bench in the limited sample I've seen.

Any better and more comprehensive ideas from the Caf hive mind though?

Played terrible with an halve injured squad but still picking up the points… meaning things can only get better for us when players return. Newcastle and spurs are struggling with only a couple of injuries. They ain’t getting badly criticised like we are. Anybody would think we’re like 15 pts behind or something. 7 is nothing at this stage of the season.

Played terrible with an halve injured squad but still picking up the points… meaning things can only get better for us when players return. Newcastle and spurs are struggling with only a couple of injuries. They ain’t getting badly criticised like we are. Anybody would think we’re like 15 pts behind or something. 7 is nothing at this stage of the season.
Picking up points despite performances won't last. None are returning anytime soon. Fixtures are getting harder.

Don’t you know? Unless you have signed all 25 players in a squad, then it’s not your squad and by extension you bear absolutely no responsibility for the performances and results.

Sarcasm aside, the discussion of whether the squad is good enough is also a judgement on the manager. He made 11 permanent signings in 15 months (after having previously won a boardroom battle to oust Rangnick and the previous scouting team) most of which were his personal choices.

If the team is playing/performing too poorly for its quality level, tha’s squarely with him. And if the squad quality is poor, then that’s at least partly on him. There’s just no way he can be rationally shielded from all criticism.

EDIT: Also it’s insteresting to hear the rational explanation of why the more the team becomes “his” the worse it is performing.

Exactly

I don’t think you can call this Ten Hag’s squad yet, although it is slowly moving in the right direction.

New signings: Casemiro isn’t exactly a Ten Hag player either.

Now we see players like McTominay and Maguire playing themselves into the side, also not Ten Hag players.

It does not matter, he has to manage them and win games. But to claim he now has his squad is silly.

How many signings does it take to become "his squad" ?

20, plus another 3 years (plus no injuries), according to his defenders on here, it would appear....

Well, that aint happening because any new signings will be seen as INEOS / The New Director of footballs signings, so the manager can be insulated from that criticism.

Personally, unless there is a massive uptick in form post this international break, which will be tough considering the opposition, I don't think he will see the January transfer window.

Shrewd? Onana was on a free last year and Casemiro was a panic buy.
Onana wasn't available for free. He signed a contract with Inter the moment it was allowed. Just because he made a free transfer doesn't mean he was available.

Shrewd? Onana was on a free last year and Casemiro was a panic buy.
Christ, how many times does this need repeating. Onana had already signed to join Inter as soon as he was able (Jan) before EtH was even announced as our manager (April) . What is exactly was EtH meant to have done to sign him on a free when he wasn't even our manager.....?

Casemiro being a panic buy was already debunked when Fred admitted he knew for months about the signing. Just because the press didn't know doesn't mean that when they do that's the start of the timeline of events.

Personally, unless there is a massive uptick in form post this international break, which will be tough considering the opposition, I don't think he will see the January transfer window.

I have to agree, I think ETH is on very thin ice, and I don't see him being here much beyond Christmas.
Everton Away, Galatasaray Away, Newcastle Away, Chelsea Home, Bournemouth Home, Bayern Munich Home.
I honestly don't see us getting more than one win out of that schedule, and we'll obviously be crashing out of the CL and Europe.

I have to agree, I think ETH is on very thin ice, and I don't see him being here much beyond Christmas.
Everton Away, Galatasaray Away, Newcastle Away, Chelsea Home, Bournemouth Home, Bayern Munich Home.
I honestly don't see us getting more than one win out of that schedule, and we'll obviously be crashing out of the CL and Europe.

Christ, that is horrendous!

- Everton away - we have a bit of a chance but I can totally see us bottling it. More likely we lose it than win it, in my opinion
- Galatasaray away - we have no chance winning in our current form
- Newcastle away - we are losing this one
- Chelsea home - more chance we lose it than win it
- Bournemouth home - hopefully we win it
- Bayern Munich home - we have no chance winning it

so, yes - horrible as it sounds, in the worst case scenario we could lose all but one or two.
Best case scenario - we win or draw three out of those, but that's it

It will take a miracle for us to find a good form and start winning most of these games. And by "miracle" I mean - our defense holding clean sheets (maybe Luke Shaw return helps, maybe Amrabat breaks out as a star) and Rashford, Garnacho, Hojlund start scoring.

With god knows how many injuries, player problems (Sancho, Antony), and uncertainty over the ownership. And yet, we are only 6 points off second place. Performance wise we are shit but considering everything, we really are not that bad in terms of where we are placed in the table.

This is a very big issue though. Shrugging our shoulders because you are 6 points off of second while playing horrific football in our second season is just choosing to ignore issues

Hag needs to start cooking. I think we’d all be a little more tolerant with dodgy results if we scored far more. I’d much rather lose 4-3 (in the league) than 1-0 with us looking incapable.

I don’t think it’s quite fair to squarely blame ETH for the players he current has to manage. Nor do I think it’s fair to blame him for several losses this season, especially those where the refs were hell bent on officiating against us. However, I think he’s very much responsible for not getting the players to do the basics right and slogging through games like a bunch of nannies. It doesn’t have to be champagne football every game, but a team playing with next to no sparks for almost half a season in his second season is pretty unacceptable.

20, plus another 3 years (plus no injuries), according to his defenders on here, it would appear....

The injury excuse that the ETH defenders use, is ridiculous.
EVERY side has injuries and the manager's job is literally to navigate through tricky situations like that.

Hag needs to start cooking. I think we’d all be a little more tolerant with dodgy results if we scored far more. I’d much rather lose 4-3 (in the league) than 1-0 with us looking incapable.

I'm not sure if we are capable of scoring 4 goals in a game.

The injury excuse that the ETH defenders use, is ridiculous.
EVERY side has injuries and the manager's job is literally to navigate through tricky situations like that.

I mean realistically based on the number of injuries and number of points off top spot, he seems to have navigated the situation reasonably well in hindsight.

Ronaldo
Sancho
Now Varane.

What's going on?? :nervous:

Back to the Ole approach. feck these players.

Varane is super unreliable. He probably told him that and he didn’t like it.

With everyone fit right now I’m probably picking Maguire over him.

Can't disagree with the unreliability. Basically another Cavani.

By the end, he'll just have Martinez, Antony, Malacia and couple of other he signed left who he hasn't fallen out with.

Can't wait this nightmare to end. Will probably go down as the worst manager since Sir Alex; even worse than Moyes. Currently we have the worst squad since Sir Alex retired, play the worst football, score the least amount of goals and are on a path to nowhere. I dread the 10 remaining games this year. Out of the CL and probably lying in the bottom half of the table if this clown remains.

Feck these lot, they’re never happy. We’ve had these reports come out under literally every manager since Fergie retired. Always moaning about the management style or the training, just fecking get on with it you cnuts.

Ronaldo
Sancho
Now Varane.

What's going on?? :nervous:

Back to the Ole approach. feck these players.

If you look at it, they're all players that are not worth their massive wages. It's nothing on Varane's ability, but his ability to stay fit is an issue when you're paying him a massive wage.

Seems like ETH has an habit of falling out with players. Why can’t we just be like other clubs who all get along and have good relationships with the manager/coaches. No wonder we never play well when they all fall out with everyone.

Getting United players to be MAD is easier than my ex-wife.

These lot are getting paid like CL winners to win a few Carling Cups and top 4 finish. If we all know and appriciate just how much we have we'd have a good football.

One Love. Stop the hatred.

I prefer a manager that brings discipline rather than on friendly term with players. ETH needs hungry upcoming players rather than established stars. I guess Varane will probably leave in January market and we will buy a young CB.

So simple if there are 2 camps. Those who don't like the discipline part, sell.

Exactly.

Fergie had to do it with the drinking culture, now it's not a drinking culture, but a culture where just doing the bare minimum is seen as being acceptable and good enough.

It's not, weed them out and raise the standards.

He may be a shit manager but one thing you can't say about him that he's afraid of the stature of a player. If he believes you're not good enough he just drops you.

Can't really fault him for taking on the players and trying to raise standards but the Varane one feels a bit like shooting yourself in the foot.

Varane hasn't been great while he's been here, he's a fairly meh signing but he's no doubt our best CB when he's playing well. To pick a fight with him because you don't believe he can play the ball out from the back in a way you want him to is a bit silly. Varane wasn't the reason we lost to City so to pull him up on his ball playing ability after the game is bizarre. If you don't fancy him them move him on in the summer instead of causing a divide in the team in the middle of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.