Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's also the other way round, those advocating for ETH to stay will say stuff like "can't be expecting an easy win at Southampton, even though ETH has been backed to the tune of £400m+ he still doesn't have all the players he needs. He's not a miracle worker. When we get beat it shouldn't be blamed on him."

Utd should expect to beat Southampton, home and away. That should be the minimum expectation.

I have no idea how people watch football with such miserable expectations all the time.

It's a tricky away game, don't go in expecting an easy win, or a win at all.
Southampton away historically has been a tricky game for us, even when we were good, and even SAF made excuses, the grey shirts was a classic one!

The Ronaldo quotes doing the rounds will be used as another nail in his coffin.

I've lost patience with EtH and i'm not sure I believe in 'the plan' but there's part of me that would get satisfaction seeing him shut up a lot of our ex players constantly taking shots at him in the media (Schmeichel, Yorke, Ronaldo, Rio). I think Ole, Jose, and even Moyes had credit in the bank with the media because of their history but EtH and LvG have easily gotten the worst criticism out of all the post-Fergie managers. Still remember LvG calling that Sun journalist 'fatman' in retaliation for something :lol:

Might well be due to a British-Dutch culture clash. The Dutch often speak in a way that can be misinterpreted.

Utd should expect to beat Southampton, home and away. That should be the minimum expectation.

I have no idea how people watch football with such miserable expectations all the time.

A fans expectations are directly linked to the current form of the club they support. If their club has been very good for 2 years they'll expect to win most games. Conversely if their club has been absolute dogshit and getting outlplayed most weeks for going on 2 years. Then understandably they'll be quite pessimistic going into most games.

One thing about Southampton is they are a side who massively value ball possession – so far this season I think they’re only beat by Spurs for more possession in their first three games. Not sure if that plays in our favour (being a counter attacking side) or if it means it's another midfield battle we’ll struggle to win.
They conceded 2 goals vs Brentford trying play out from the back, couldn't cope with Brentfords high press so if we get the press right we could do same.

They conceded 2 goals vs Brentford trying play out from the back, couldn't cope with Brentfords high press so if we get the press right we could do same.
Mount's injured so that's probably not going to happen

Yes, Saturday.

Another miserable expectation. Nice.

Im just being realistic, we are a really poor side at the moment and cant score goals having only scored 1 in our first 3 games and this is likely to be a game where Saints defend in numbers then hit us on the counter.

Southampton away historically has been a tricky game for us, even when we were good, and even SAF made excuses, the grey shirts was a classic one!
We haven't lost there since 2003 but lost there a number of times under Fergie, including 6-3. They were out of the league for a good number of years between 2003 and now though, and we haven't beaten them by more than a goal there in ages (actually also 2003).

the Southampton game will determine whether or not the players still have faith in him. Anything but a win there says they’ve downed tools.
What's new with Soton game? The players have lost games multiple times in the past.

You are talking about the manager who pushed Bruno to the right wing to accommodate Weghorst as the central attacking outlet.
I prefer not to remember those dark times. In fact, I prefer not to remember the last 18 months at all, though it's more to save myself from the pain rather than to absolve the manager of all blame for it.

We haven't lost there since 2003 but lost there a number of times under Fergie, including 6-3.
We can still win and it be a tricky game, some people seem to think we should just walk over certain teams and that has rarely ever been the case even in our pomp

Not sure why you’re clamoring for misguided optimism so badly. When is the last time we “thumped” anyone?

I think we’ll probably win Saturday but I sure as feck don’t expect some high flying brilliance.
How dare we as fans have miserable expectations after 18 months of miserable performances right?

Apparently he wants us to have more possession. This after setting us up with no focus on midfield control and possession, and obsessing over getting everyone to pass the ball as quickly and chaotically as possible.

I don’t think he has any grand vision. Just makes it up as he goes along. Main thing is when Ineos feel they’ve had enough and have lined up the man they want to take us forward. ETH isn’t really the guy they want but the one they decided to stick with as they didn’t the right replacement.

Apparently he wants us to have more possession. This after setting us up with no focus on midfield control and possession, and obsessing over getting everyone to pass the ball as quickly and chaotically as possible.

I don’t think he has any grand vision. Just makes it up as he goes along. Main thing is when Ineos feel they’ve had enough and have lined up the man they want to take us forward. ETH isn’t really the guy they want but the one they decided to stick with as they didn’t the right replacement.

Either way, it is not a good look. If he has a grand vision then he is not able to implement it.

Where's this coming from ?

How dare we as fans have miserable expectations after 18 months of miserable performances right?
Yeah I mean I’m hardly some depressive negative Nancy normally, but I’m also not just going to blindly expect something completely different from what I’ve been shown for close to 2 years now.

My prediction is a scrappy 2-1 win that ultimately isn’t very good but we have a good 20 mins of pressing that everyone points to as improving.

I think this has been apparent since those 'we can't play like Ajax' quotes. He gave the same quotes to Dutch and English media, got called out on them and then rowed back and claimed he was misquoted or misunderstood.

He'll simply say whatever excuse pops into his head at the time. You'd hope away from the media he is more consistent and clear, but the evidence of 2 and a half seasons is not promising.

We can still win and it be a tricky game, some people seem to think we should just walk over certain teams and that has rarely ever been the case even in our pomp

Come on man. When you've been thumped in your own back yard by your biggest rivals, and the previous week losing to a Brighton team being led by a young manager still learning the ropes, you simply have to respond against a team that's lost their first three. No more excuses

This shouldn't be a tricky game with the resources ETH has acquired over the past two summers of ridiculous spending.

What's new with Soton game? The players have lost games multiple times in the past.
How about them being a newly promoted team with no points so far and if there first wins against us then that’s just embarrassing.

Gotchya. So this bit

Rangnick was absolutely right. We’ve been working very hard on that for two years, but he said it just right: it’s a thorough, very complex operation,” Ten Hag said in an interview with the Dutch newspaper AD Sportwereld.

“And I knew when I started that it was going to be a tough job. There are a lot of people who have advised me about that.”

“We want this club back to where it was more than a decade ago, to a club that wins the Premier League, which can win Champions Leagues. We are really a long way away from that.”

Come on man. When you've been thumped in your own back yard by your biggest rivals, and the previous week losing to a Brighton team being led by a young manager still learning the ropes, you simply have to respond against a team that's lost their first three. No more excuses

This shouldn't be a tricky game with the resources ETH has acquired over the past two summers of ridiculous spending.
Go back and look at the context of my post, it's not about a response to recent games.

The 17 percent who have voted keep are not United supporters. Those who are adding to the tally are A list trolls and WUMs.
I’m in that 17% and I struggle to believe there are many people more fanatic about Manchester Utd than me.

The 17 percent who have voted keep are not United supporters. Those who are adding to the tally are A list trolls and WUMs.

I’m in that 17% and I struggle to believe there are many people more fanatic about Manchester Utd than me.

Same.

It’s possible to want different things and still support the same club.

Where's this coming from ?

Not him, the club. Apparently his directive is to switch to a more possessive based approach, and one that mirrors Liverpool under Klopp. I can't speak to the veracity of these claims but they've been doing the rounds and I find them plausible

We are playing a team that has lost their first 3 matches?
If that's true, we shall be the team who give them their first points.
It happens so often - a team/player who are in terrible form, play us and do very well.

I get the feeling that ETH seriously thinks he’s in no danger of being sacked.
He’s totally delusional and this is why we’re STILL seeing absolutely terrible team decisions.
Lose to Southampton and that’s surely it!?
Or is it?

He’s totally delusional and this is why we’re STILL seeing absolutely terrible team decisions.
Or is it?
Probably not, unless we look discombobulated during the game and lose badly.

Or is it?
Nah. He's totally safe. The most fanatic supporters who struggle to see the interest of the club are supporting him. So he's good.