• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Staff
Supports
no-one in particular
There had been many ongoing feuds in the previous thread with pro and anti Ten Hag posters carrying on established threads between themselves.

This is a thread about Ten Hag, not a thread about the fanbase or your personal bickering ground. At the risk of receiving warnings and being threadbanned, leave the pettiness of last season in the now defunct thread. If you really wish to snipe at one another, use PMs.

Thanks - and let's have some real conversations! :)

Last edited:
We'll beat Brighton. We have a decent run of fixtures till December, where hopefully our injured players are all back.

Well he has nearly all his picks of players. He has new coaches who are ex managers to help him. He has an upper echelon who have done well football wise, much better than he had before.
Now it is up to him to mold a football team into a fluid attacking side. He has only to look at Arsenal as to what can be done in three years, a club capable of taking it to the wire with the best Premier team ever( puke puke). Surely by October we shall see if he is capable or not. If we are playing decent or still the shit show of last year

I like the system, and given the way we ended last season, I'm glad ten Hag continued with it.

Still a few issues off the ball, in that there were a few opportunities Fulham had in transition. A better team may have punished us so this is really something he needs to look at. A few points yesterday, both Mainoo and Casemiro were ahead of the ball which was a bit crazy.

From an in possession point of view, we were better at controlling the game, but again, still inconsistent. With time, I'm hoping this, along with us being clinical in front of goal, will all fall into place.

Next 2 games will be interesting.

Win both, and it would be a very big confidence boost.

Including the very latter part of last season, we've been better. Better ditch the 4-6-0 though.

Happy for us to just start defending properly again. We need to stay in games and then let the quality players shine through. Would much rather be solid and get low scoring wins then be wide open and concede constantly.

I think this season we have seen a few more green shoots of progress.

Hopefully with a few more additions (Ugarte minimum) we’ll have a squad capable of doing what is needed to make the next steps to being a better side.

My current concerns about Ten Hag and United are:
  1. DM - Can Ten Hag create an environment and structure that either gets the best out of Casemiro or his replacement?
  2. LB - Can Ten Hag deal with two unreliable players in terms of availability and fitness or mitigate this?
  3. CM - Can we find a reliable back up to Mainoo to not burn him out and alleviate some of the physical and mental load of playing a key role in the heart of midfield.
  4. Scoring Goals - Can Ten Hag get more out of forwards that are developing? Højlund, Garnacho, Amad and Zirkzee? Can Rashford be the main man with support?

Happy for us to just start defending properly again. We need to stay in games and then let the quality players shine through. Would much rather be solid and get low scoring wins then be wide open and concede constantly.
Bruno will come good and have a huge season. That game was an anomaly. Hopefully Rashy will start to pick it up too.

I think one big reason why I found our game yesterday very entertaining yesterday (unlike others) was partially because I was intrigued and trying to understand our tactical setup.

I've just re-watched the 1st 60mins and in a good way, my brain still hurts trying to figure out our attacking fluidity especially when in the opponent's half. I see some basic rules in the backline - for example having 3 men when the ball's close to the halfway line (3-1-6 at times), and 2 on the halfway line when we've reached the final 3rd - this sometimes triggers a bombing run by the DM or fullback.

When building up from the back we seem to play a 3-4-3 or a 3-6-1 with Casemiro occasionally dropping deep to create that 3, although there are times our left-back is the one playing in the middle of the 3 (Dalot / Licha). When we want to play a fast break from the back it's more often a 3-4-3 with our wingers staying high and wide (especially Rashford) and the CF dropping slightly deeper.

However I'm still not quite understanding the interplay among the front 6. It seems fluid with the players are given a lot of freedom, but I reckon that there's are methods to the madness. For example, always creating triangles around the ball carrier..

In the 1st phase of defence we are committed to pressing high up the pitch with a 4-0-2-4 setup which at times end up as a 4-0-6 because of how deep the opponent's midfielders drop back. Maguire was useful in winning headers when Fulham decided to lump the ball forward. It remains to be seen if a better team like Brighton will be able to simply bypass our press and leave us stranded. For that reason I wouldn't be surprised if Maguire's dropped for De Ligt, who should be able to defend much more aggressively especially in 1v1 situations higher up the pitch. Also, we definitely aren't defending in a rigid 4-4-2 in our half.

Edit: Anyway, even though we're supposedly a 4-2-2-2 team, it's the shape I saw the least during the match, especially since our high press is more like a 4-2-4 or 4-0-6, and we certainly do not build up with that formation. Anyone who claims that this season's system remains the same or even largely unchanged is talking out of their arse.

Last edited:
I think one big reason why I found our game yesterday very entertaining yesterday (unlike others) was partially because I was intrigued and trying to understand our tactical setup.

I've just re-watched the 1st 60mins and in a good way, my brain still hurts trying to figure out our attacking fluidity especially when in the opponent's half. I see some basic rules in the backline - for example having 3 men when the ball's close to the halfway line (3-1-6 at times), and 2 on the halfway line when we've reached the final 3rd - this sometimes triggers a bombing run by the DM or fullback.

When building up from the back we seem to play a 3-4-3 or a 3-6-1 with Casemiro occasionally dropping deep to create that 3, although there are times our left-back is the one playing in the middle of the 3 (Dalot / Licha). When we want to play a fast break from the back it's more often a 3-4-3 with our wingers staying high and wide (especially Rashford) and the CF dropping slightly deeper.

However I'm still not quite understanding the interplay among the front 6. It seems fluid with the players are given a lot of freedom, but I reckon that there's are methods to the madness. For example, always creating triangles around the ball carrier..

In the 1st phase of defence we are committed to pressing high up the pitch with a 4-0-2-4 setup which at times end up as a 4-0-6 because of how deep the opponent's midfielders drop back. Maguire was useful in winning headers when Fulham decided to lump the ball forward. It remains to be seen if a better team like Brighton will be able to simply bypass our press and leave us stranded. For that reason I wouldn't be surprised if Maguire's dropped for De Ligt, who should be able to defend much more aggressively especially in 1v1 situations higher up the pitch. Also, we definitely aren't defending in a rigid 4-4-2 in our half.

Edit: Anyway, even though we're supposedly a 4-2-2-2 team, it's the shape I saw the least during the match, especially since our high press is more like a 4-2-4 or 4-0-6, and we certainly do not build up with that formation. Anyone who claims that this season's system remains the same or even largely unchanged is talking out of their arse.
Nice summary, thanks

We should definitely score more goals this season. When you look at the bench, you will find options now. Players that can enter the game and play against a tired oppositions legs and make a difference. If Hojlund is having a bad game, you can call upon Zirkzee. No more Scott to the rescue.

Same with the wingers, Rashford, Sancho, Garnacho, Amad, Antony. Some nice attacking depth, which I hope Ten Hag will use this season. No more running players to the ground please, and causing injuries which can be avoided with a nice rotation.

Hope he succeeds and that we make big progress this year

Definitely liked that the defending in general was very strong. Having a strong defence is generally a good foundation for success.

Though, Fulham having 22 touches in our box is an area that we definitely need to improve on.

Last edited:
Firstly thanks for the new thread, energy in the old one was getting negative.

I’m happy that we have the first win of the season to help bring confidence and help with mentality. We played at about 60% of our full potential for me for only around 35 mins of this game and with better finishes made it easier. Definitely showed progress in controlling play though and creating chances.

I thought he was positive with the substitutions and brought on the right players. Gave Kobe a rest too.

I can see him trying to integrate youngsters into the team early this season if we manage to go on a decent run of results.

Good tactical setup and subs for this game. The press is now executed fully instead of the at times disjointed press of last season. Defenders are stepping in more as well, it looks more solid overall.

Different vibes from last season.

We looked good against City, especially second half. Against Fulham, it felt like a typical leggy early season game. We created some good chances, but some of our passing was poor. Overall, I'm more worried about some of the chances we've missed in both games. We don't have a single attacker that could be described as "clinical".

Is it me, or he sounds different when talking now? He sounds more fluent and assertive. I watched his Sky Sports Interview, and he did not used his so annoying "eh" not even once.

It was creating such a hard listening to his pressers the previous season.

Maybe media training?

Is it me, or he sounds different when talking now? He sounds more fluent and assertive. I watched his Sky Sports Interview, and he did not used his so annoying "eh" not even once.

It was creating such a hard listening to his pressers the previous season.

Maybe media training?

I like the man, hoping he is getting more confidence and more comfortable over time and with the Ineos team in charge.

I think Ten Hag is more confident and happier now because; 1) He was backed 2) We are actually running like a football club now.

I know he is United manager but the amount of stick he got off the media was nothing short but sickening. To deal with the stuff he had.... injuries, players he didn't want, egos, leaks from the club etc... It will make him a better manager for it and was delighted they stuck by him. Because that was a storm he went through. Through it, he kept his head, kept calm. That is mental strength.

The main thing, though, and I see other posters mentioning it, he is more confident. Absolutely agree. Now, there is a structure above him and clear channels of communication. You would have though for any big club / company, that would be the norm. Not under Glazernomics. It's like now the foundations are being built, and construction has started. Also new assistants who understand his ideas and will help implement them and transfers getting done early. They've signed former players of his, that's a sign that the club are truly backing him.

We were top of the table on Friday and then went on a free fall and already in 7th place. After today's game, we may fall further.

Things aren't looking good. Ten Hag better get his act together in coming games.

We were top of the table on Friday and then went on a free fall and already in 7th place. After today's game, we may fall further.

Things aren't looking good. Ten Hag better get his act together in coming games.
Tonight is ETHs biggest test.

Decent start of the season. Better defensively and should have scored at least one more.
Can't believe we're still buying 100% Dutch and/or former Ajax players still though. I understand the Maz + MDL transfers and think we also got them quite cheap, but the Zirkzee transfer makes no sence to me.

Decent start of the season. Better defensively and should have scored at least one more.
Can't believe we're still buying 100% Dutch and/or former Ajax players still though. I understand the Maz + MDL transfers and think we also got them quite cheap, but the Zirkzee transfer makes no sence to me.
It's not 100% though. Yoro isn't Dutch or a former EtH player, it looks like we'll sign Ugarte who isn't either.

And how does the Zirkzee transfer not make sense?! I mean he just scored the winner in his debut!

We needed a forward and he was young player of the year in Italy last season. Look at the prices other forwards have gone for this window and you'll see that we got him fairly cheap because of the release clause. But hey, if you think we'd have been better off spending £65m on Solanke then you do you.

1st real test Saturday
We rarely win opening 2 games of the season

Next two games are massive. We won at Brighton tail end of last season but we normally struggle there. And then the big one. Get two wins, or a win and a draw, going into the international break with 7-9 points would be very good.

It's not 100% though. Yoro isn't Dutch or a former EtH player, it looks like we'll sign Ugarte who isn't either.

And how does the Zirkzee transfer not make sense?! I mean he just scored the winner in his debut!

We needed a forward and he was young player of the year in Italy last season. Look at the prices other forwards have gone for this window and you'll see that we got him fairly cheap because of the release clause. But hey, if you think we'd have been better off spending £65m on Solanke then you do you.
You're right about Yoro (forgot about him), it's still more than enough to be following that trend though.

For Zirkzee I just don't think he's good enough. He scored a winner for us, sure, but in general he'll never be good enough to be anything other than backup at the most. We already have a young unproven striker with similar underwhelming numbers and if anything 42,5M is not cheap. He's 22 and had 9 open play goals in 34 games (32 starts) in Serie A last season. I mean he generated 0,24 npxG/90 last season. To put that in perspective: That was the 60th highest in Serie A last season for players with more than 500 minutes on the pitch (would be good for 80th in the Premier League), and he played center forward the whole season. This is a lot worse than Hojlunds numbers (0,38 npxG/90 and 43rd in the PL last season), who also lacks a lot of goal threat and makes too few good runs and too rarely finds himself in good goalscoring positions for a team like ours.

If we go through every team in the PL last season you won't find a single club with a main forward that doesn't have a higher npxG/90 than Zirkzee (The PL is not easier than Serie A).
For the rest of the top 5 leagues, only Las Palmas, Monza and Sassuolo would have problems fielding a main man up top with lower underlying numbers.

He is a good finisher and is a lot to handle with his big body, but we need more goals in our squad and Zirkzee will not provide that.

Solanke wasn't on my wishlist. Just like Zirkzee wasn't. Buying Zirkzee is like buying McBurnie, quite underwhelming for a club wanting to fight for trophies and regular CL.

Edit. That said I'd love to be proven wrong about bith him and ETH (Which I must admit I do not have much faith in). Good start of the season for both.

Last edited:
Since SAF, we havent had a season where we did well both at home and away. In the last 7-8 years of his rein, SAF used to have different tactics for home and away matches. I wish ETH also thinks in those terms and plays a bit more conservatively.

Will be nice to have a thread which hopefully stays in track for discussing this season only.

Looking forward to the next game. Want to see how Martinez, De Ligt and Mazraoui play together.

Also hoping he starts with Garnacho on the left and Amad on the right.

Is it just me or does it feel like this is the first time you feel it's ''Ten Hag's team''? If our new signings adapt quickly and stay fit, I think it is going to be a really good season.

We have a new backline with options. Manouri, Martinez, De Ligt, Dalot, Maguire, Yoro, Shaw, Malacia. There are a lot of games to be played and Maguire might suit playing against a team over Martinez etc.. I do hope Ten Hag knows his best best 4, I think that is essential.

The progression of Mainoo, Garnacho whom have become regular starters. We also have a big season ahead for Amad, if he has half the progression Garnacho and Mainoo had last season then he's another great option to give Garnacho a rest.

Rashford, if he has the season of his life, what an interesting season it could be!

Reactions: Mr Pigeon
We'll beat Brighton. We have a decent run of fixtures till December, where hopefully our injured players are all back.

The Brighton match has a draw written all over it. It's going to be an entertaining match, the Brighton players look fired up and eager to impress the new manager.