Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
ftpwzvivy5sd1.png

50 % wanted this to continue into a 3rd season because of two seasons of lucky home draws in the cups. This is the worst manager we've ever had. No amount of fluky cup runs will change that fact.

I thought Ralf was bad but he was a lame duck who didn't spend a dime. Give him 3 seasons and 700m and he wouldn't be anywhere near this useless.
It's all pretty unbelievable really. The difference between him and the others is huge.

Tbh, ETH and Jose - for me anyway - made sense. Jose had recently won a title, and I wrongly assumed it was Real and Chelsea who had broken him, but we would be able to get the best version of him back.

The other choices were fecking awful. Ole as interim was a great call and a perfect remedy after Jose's final months, but to give him the permanent gig was simply an easy cop out by the Glazers, which the fans absolutely lapped up.

I was buzzing when we hired Jose as well mate, I was of the opinion he pretty much guaranteed a title. What I should have said was that in hindsight the signs were there that he was on the slide.

That's fair enough, but he's shown he can win individual big games, resulting in cups. Which means he has tactical nouse and can motivate a team. Sunday was bad, but

Amazing post. I had to read that three times.

How come he can't be bothered to apply his philosopher tactics while motivating the team for the other 40 games per season?

Do you understand that by that point alone it is objectively clear that he is not a tactician and that he certainly cannot motivate a team?

There were some marginal improvements, but I have to stress that they were indeed marginal. Also, improvements when coming from rock bottom are pretty easy to find. However, all of the utter nonsense from last season was exposed in the Twente and Spurs games.
Also it should be noted that simply “improvements” was never good enough. Going from a team that’s playing close to relegation level to a team playing around a mid table level, while an improvement, should never have been the goal at this point. With no more injury excuse the standard needed to be at minimum a clear top 4 performing team with obvious performance improvements. Instead of we’ve gotten marginal improvements in a games while getting trashed by the actual good sides we’ve played, all while the same structural/tactical/coaching issues are still evident.

Tbh, ETH and Jose - for me anyway - made sense. Jose had recently won a title, and I wrongly assumed it was Real and Chelsea who had broken him, but we would be able to get the best version of him back.

The other choices were fecking awful. Ole as interim was a great call and a perfect remedy after Jose's final months, but to give him the permanent gig was simply an easy cop out by the Glazers, which the fans absolutely lapped up.
Oh I fully supported ETH being hired. He was an obvious top candidate. Problem is people can’t accept the fact that managers should be fired when it’s clear they are failing.

I was for hiring him over Pochettino (a huge media darling at the time for some reason) but I wasn’t fawning over him saying he was definitely going to be a hit. Dunno who else we could have got who may have worked out better back then considering the Glazer way of working. Pochettino looks like he’s lost his edge considering he’s now managing the US national team.

And like any manager, if they start tanking, axe him and move onto the next one. Doesn’t matter if it’s Johnny Foreigner from a far away land with no affiliation to United or Joe Bloggs who’s been with the club since he was a kid, won everything as a player, his father was a United player, his father’s father was a United player and he saved the club’s owners from a burning vehicle etc.

God I hope INEOS has lined up Nagelsmann already despite what happens in the next two games.

I was buzzing when we hired Jose as well mate, I was of the opinion he pretty much guaranteed a title. What I should have said was that in hindsight the signs were there that he was on the slide.

The summer we brought Jose, Pogba and Zlatan in, looked like we were on our way back to the top. Sigh.

Last edited:
Oh I fully supported ETH being hired. He was an obvious top candidate. Problem is people can’t accept the fact that managers should be fired when it’s clear they are failing.
Exactly. It made sense to appoint ETH as he was the the most exciting candidate out there at the time. Unfortunately, it hasn’t worked with him to the extent where we’ve gone backwards in a number of key areas although he has received massive backing. There’s no reason to believe he can turn it around - therefore, he should be fired.

The fact that none of the managers we’ve appointed since Fergie have been good enough doesn’t mean that we should stop looking for the right manager. It just means we haven’t found him yet.

Before yesterday, it was the Spurs game is really important, now, it's the next two game are important, we might go and fluke a win in one of the two, then it will be the next week is important, it just never ends.
Only stressing what the main consensus is . Those 2 games are before a break . And then he's either gone or stays .

Personally think he lost them after Twente, yet he somehow gets another week at Carrington. Think it's ridiculous he will be on that plane to Portugal on Wednesday.
Fc 20 game was a strange one, he picked a decent side few changes but continued with Eriksen, that was his 3rd straight game I could understand him starting, then he kept him on . His Game Managment in the Fc20 game was very odd , and maybe its that's when the players have had a gripe with him who knows and Menifests into that shit show on Sunday..

Biggest issue with ETH besides his tactics are his is signings. Antony, Mount, Casemiro, and Holjund haven’t contributed enough for the amount we paid for.

I think people are still afraid to say that the majority of his signings have been diabolical, because it means the next manager will have to flog off hundreds of millions worth of signings before we can even begin looking competitive again, but it's bloody true. There are exceptions of course, but I'd say the majority aren't looking very promising. Everything about this manager has been a total shit show, and the club is as much responsible for letting it happen for the 5th dire manager on the bounce.

I think Tuchel by the nature of his tactics would have us more solid, the question is do we want to chase potential short term success with him like we did with Jose, and that's not saying he will fail but that whether we win nothing or win something he will inevitably fall out with the management as his track record shows. Regarding Iraola, whilst he wouldn't be my first choice he is a manager with potential. I'm in the camp that just because EtH might have potentially failed it shouldn't deter us from looking at managers with potential. If the club has set a vision for how they want us to play then we shouldn't be afraid to go for a manager who we think has potential to get us playing that style. Very few managers are a guaranteed sure thing in football.
This obsession with finding the next Sir Alex has got to end. We need to structure the club like Bayern, Real, Juventus etc. we run through managers until we find one that gives us championships and stick with him until he doesn’t. We don’t know if Amorin or Iraola or Allegri or Xavi or Tuchel will bring us a title.

The spectre of Sir Alex has haunted us for 11 years. There won’t be another like him and to hope and pray that a clown like Ten Hag will somehow turn good like SAF 34 years ago is idiotic.

Bang on. The "first half against Palace" thing still annoys me when people say it shows that we can play great under Ten Hag, and it's a glimmer of hope. We didn't even fecking score.

I think there are few better examples of how far we've fallen and how used to Utd being embarrassingly shit we've all become that people were clinging to a 0-0 with Crystal fecking Palace as a promising performance.

Circling back to this - I just saw on Bleacher report that since the Carabao final against Newcastle - we've played 58 league games, lost 21 of them, and only won 28.

I couldn't believe it and went to check for myself on transfermarkt and it's right.

That's shocking. Incredible that this guy still has a job. fecking hell
He’s been awful. If he was at Barca, Real or Bayern, he’d be long gone

Get the feeling he talks a good game regarding tactics. Probably why he got the gig and got the club supporting him so much. But it is one thing to know the tactics and another to actually make it work out there on the pitch.
I feel like he understands tactics in the same way that Theodor Adorno "understands" music. @Cheimoon will know what I'm talking about.

The music of Ten Hag's tactics right there. Thinks that he's Chopin and can make things as technical as possible in an attempt to look like some sort of mastermind who will bamboozle the opposition. But in reality he's missing the core components of what makes the music of football work. So while Chopin is melodic, structured, and everyone playing his song understands what they're meant to do, Ten Hag is just whacking keys without any real sense of how it's all meant to come together and ultimately confusing the feck out of his own players because they've been shown time and again that it does not work.

You shouldn't reopen the poll, people who backed him should feel ashamed of their decision back then :lol:

Get the feeling he talks a good game regarding tactics. Probably why he got the gig and got the club supporting him so much. But it is one thing to know the tactics and another to actually make it work out there on the pitch.
This is how I see it as well. Probably just can’t inspire or communicate to the players what he wants well enough. I actually don’t think the players have downed tools, they want to win as well, but he’s clearly unable to inspire them or coach them well enough and that’s entirely on him. He’s had time, money and support from both owners and fans. More than at other clubs for sure.
Scholes said we look like an uncoached team. That’s brutal but it’s ultimately what it looks like when you watch our games most times.

Benni saying the guy has no charisma.

I bet it’s like your uni professor just theory waffling you to sleep for 3 hours then you go on YouTube and a random dude in his kitchen makes you understand in 90 seconds and doesn’t even ask for a like or subscribe

Exactly. Watching us play doesn’t exactly give me an impression of a well drilled team with meticulous tactics at all. If anything I often I would usually get the impression that our tactics are completely unsuitable for the opposition, case in point last weekend where we looked set up like we’d never seen Spurs play.

Biggest issue with ETH besides his tactics are his is signings. Antony, Mount, Casemiro, and Holjund haven’t contributed enough for the amount we paid for.
It's probably the reason his first season was his best. The more signings he's added the worse we've gotten.
The guy hasn't a clue.

Last edited:
Exactly. Watching us play doesn’t exactly give me an impression of a well drilled team with meticulous tactics at all. If anything I often I would usually get the impression that our tactics are completely unsuitable for the opposition, case in point last weekend where we looked set up like we’d never seen Spurs play.

I genuinely, and I really mean this, have absolutely no idea what his tactics are.

Knowing/talking tactics is one thing, coaching/implementing them is another.

He has totally failed at the latter during his time here. That's why we need a top class coach first and foremost rather than a 'manager' going forward.

Also, probably didn't help him that he walked into the club acting like Billy big bollocks refusing to work with Ralf and not wanting to hear his assessment/advice but rather, wanting to make his own decisions in regards to the squad, which essentially wasted time and he came to the same conclusion as everyone else anyway eventually.

I think he talks a good game period. One of the lines I think he hoodwinked the ownership with was the one about going to win elsewhere.

Can we please just end this? There are literally no posters on here who think he will turn this around. I actually feel sorry for EtH (as I did for Ole). When you realise you’re completely out of your depth after embarrassing defeat, after embarrassing defeat, and you still get a microphone thrust in your face and have to defend it!

Also, probably didn't help him that he walked into the club acting like Billy big bollocks refusing to work with Ralf and not wanting to hear his assessment/advice but rather, wanting to make his own decisions in regards to the squad, which essentially wasted time and he came to the same conclusion as everyone else anyway eventually.
He's got the arrogance of Van Gaal without the CV to go with it.

2 games in a row a defender goes past the midfield and defense. Nothing is ever addressed in training.