Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Calling them worst dithers is crybaby nonsense. I’d much rather be where we are in terms of the current structure than the Glazers shit show.
It can't be crybaby nonsense if it's true. I agree I'd sooner have both here than just the Glazers but that doesn't mean the new structure isn't dithering. It's happening right in front of your eyes!

I mean you just have to read my next sentence to know I don't think that? It doesn't have to be binary, I can think Ten Hag can still be a success and think someone else can be as well. I think Tuchel would at least structure us better and has a bit of pedigree. Not sure he's a particularly long term choice though, if we were to gamble on someone, I would like Iraola. There is absolutely no guarantee on him being any better than Ten Hag though and it's a huge step up.

I think Tuchel by the nature of his tactics would have us more solid, the question is do we want to chase potential short term success with him like we did with Jose, and that's not saying he will fail but that whether we win nothing or win something he will inevitably fall out with the management as his track record shows. Regarding Iraola, whilst he wouldn't be my first choice he is a manager with potential. I'm in the camp that just because EtH might have potentially failed it shouldn't deter us from looking at managers with potential. If the club has set a vision for how they want us to play then we shouldn't be afraid to go for a manager who we think has potential to get us playing that style. Very few managers are a guaranteed sure thing in football.

I mean you just have to read my next sentence to know I don't think that? It doesn't have to be binary, I can think Ten Hag can still be a success and think someone else can be as well. I think Tuchel would at least structure us better and has a bit of pedigree. Not sure he's a particularly long term choice though, if we were to gamble on someone, I would like Iraola. There is absolutely no guarantee on him being any better than Ten Hag though and it's a huge step up.

There's no guarantees in football, full stop. All we know right now is we'll be facing a relegation battle soon if we don't act now. The odds of somebody else coming in and improving us is far greater than ETH turning it around now. On Tuchel, I just see him as a safe pair of hands until we can somehow hit the jackpot eventually.

I think Tuchel by the nature of his tactics would have us more solid, the question is do we want to chase potential short term success with him like we did with Jose, and that's not saying he will fail but that whether we win nothing or win something he will inevitably fall out with the management as his track record shows. Regarding Iraola, whilst he wouldn't be my first choice he is a manager with potential. I'm in the camp that just because EtH might have potentially failed it shouldn't deter us from looking at managers with potential. If the club has set a vision for how they want us to play then we shouldn't be afraid to go for a manager who we think has potential to get us playing that style. Very few managers are a guaranteed sure thing in football.
Exactly and if that's what we want, I think it makes the most sense. It's not to say he can't be long term, but he's not got a track record of it, but he's also unfortunately been the manager of clubs in their circus phases. No it certainly shouldn't deter us, but there's not a lot you can go on but gut feeling what he's doing will transfer over to the players. There's no real "track record" to point at, you're trying to catch them up the upward curve. I'm a betting man, so I would totally go for it, but I'm not a delusional gambler to not recognize the massive risk involved. I would say with Iraola, with his current team set up and player profiles, I think it can transfer very well to what we currently have.

ftpwzvivy5sd1.png

50 % wanted this to continue into a 3rd season because of two seasons of lucky home draws in the cups. This is the worst manager we've ever had. No amount of fluky cup runs will change that fact.

I thought Ralf was bad but he was a lame duck who didn't spend a dime. Give him 3 seasons and 700m and he wouldn't be anywhere near this useless.

This exactly. If the current manager doesn’t show significant improvement in key areas after a while, there’s no point in keeping him. No sane club would. You change manager, give him some time and resources and if he isn’t capable of delivering progress either - then guess what - you fire him too. Rinse and repeat until you find a manager who’s up to the task.

It’s not going to be easy as there are very few top managers out there, but that’s not an excuse for not trying. It’s the most important job at the club and we need to find our own ‘Pep’.

Now watch ETH go full prime Jose in setting up the team to defend against Porto and Villa to save his job.

There's no guarantees in football, full stop. All we know right now is we'll be facing a relegation battle soon if we don't act now. The odds of somebody else coming in and improving us is far greater than ETH turning it around now. On Tuchel, I just see him as a safe pair of hands until we can somehow hit the jackpot eventually.
I think that can be said for Tuchel, but we had Mckenna and Frank as the other options last time, are we sure that's true with them?

You're joking, aren't you? The majority of folk on here wanted ten Hag to keep the job after the FA Cup final (the poll whether to keep or sack completely reversed. It was mental). There was a huge swell of broad support from the fan base (Paddock in particular have been embarrassingly defensive of ten Hag until recently - specifically Joe). Utterly bizarre situation and we've fecked ourselves not just for this season, but in terms of drastically reducing our options moving forward.
And? Fan sentiment shouldn't have affected their decision at all. They've looked no better than the glazers so far. It has to be said.

Exactly, I can't understand this sympathetic nonsense to managers who failed their own responsibilities.

Look at the Rodri thread concerning his complaints about being overworked and the idealism projected in that thread amongst many is footballers are well paid therefore it's a small inconvenience.

Now contrast it with the managers who are also competing in one of the best paid professions within a career (irrespective of being successful or failing) are paid a fortune yet fans disregard the players for XYZ reasons but side with the managers in the same principles.

It's foolishness, objectively the only manager who showed progression from philosophical standpoint and perhaps wasn't given as much time as the others was LVG, but even with the benefits of his management there was still issues which if rectified likely would have seen him stay on in the job.

These managers have been given a plethora of resources and as stated have come up with excuses. Subjectively for me at-least aside LVG between Ole, Jose and Moyes (Ragnick was supposed to step into the hierarchy so is an outlier to some degree) none have done anything with their respective careers since to adjudicate that United made a bad decision or mistake with their removal.

The only one I could understand having a gripe would be Moyes. Obviously not good enough but he didn't get time or money.

The others all did. Plenty of it.

Maybe LvG could have a bit of a gripe. But he was another one who thought we could get him any player he desired and used that not being the case as an excuse.

It's almost been forgotten now but upto u til recently managers were building great teams with a fraction of the staff todays managers have. Also no sporting director, no technical director, no performance director.

It's also easier than ever to scout. A manager can sit in his office and watch pretty much any game from around the globe.

I’m not sure anything confounds me more than anyone in here saying “I like Ten Hag”. Genuinely the most unlikeable of any manager we’ve ever had here
Same here, never really disliked one of our managers before him.
It's not even because we are shit under him, but its his complete lack of responsibility for the many, many failures and the aura of arrogance surrounding him.

Our next manager has to be English. I want a dynasty built at Old Trafford again while we claim our perch from Manchester City. Howe, Potter, Southgate in that order. Manchester United is a traditional club, I want an English manager. We have good ones.
Yet our 2 best regarded managers were Jocks!

Yeah I think Mainoo would be best in a possession-based 3 man midfield, not to say he couldn't do the role we're talking about. For example Christie was a number 10/wide player before Iraola repositioned him in the midfield so it's not like he's playing two poor technical players in there. Plus he does have licence to go forward sometimes so I feel Mainoo could do that role quite well.
I agree - if you compare them on sofa score their heatmaps are actually very similar. Mainoo vastly better across basically all metrics though, an encouraging sign.

Championship manager at best
I actually think he’s a decent manager. But for many reasons, I don’t think he suits an elite club. He doesn’t have the personality or bollocks for it. It was evident in his first press conference. He looked very uncomfortable

And unfortunately he’s very stubborn to boot. If he was willing to let others guide him at times he might get away with it more

Think he’d have done alright at Spurs or something

I keep hearing this about the players.. its nonsense. We have a bought 11 new players in the last 3 years and this nonsense that players are not trying is down to one man.. the manager.

He has had the same issue from game 1 to now. Brentford was the same issue, cut open easily, cant pass, cant defend and cannot attack.. 2 years later its the same story. It is clear the players have not bought into his system and at this stage I do not think they will.

Players should be ashamed but I think the manager has to take 85% of the blame.
Not saying the manager shouldn't take much of the blame, even if the players don't buy in to it that's no excuse for not doing the basics, Dalot on the first goal is an example of that

He’s not a good manager. We all got duped by his far superior Ajax to other eredivisie clubs and that one season in the champions league. But if you really cut through his philosophy and tactics there, you would find the same manager. A manager who doesn’t have any answers if his style doesn’t work and a manager who has very poor game management.

Not saying the manager shouldn't take much of the blame, even if the players don't buy in to it that's no excuse for not doing the basics, Dalot on the first goal is an example of that

It's generally overlooked that this ability is the most important for a coach. People tend to use it as a defense of managers(you didn't) but leadership and the ability to galvanize a group is probably the most important, that's what differentiate an assistant to a head coach.

Twente draw and Spurs defeat were enough for him to be sacked by this morning and Ruud taking over vs Porto and Villa before we find a new manager during the International break. Instead it seems ten Hag could get sacked after Villa with Ruud becoming interim after that and honestly I'm not for another interim manager after Ole and Rangnick, this season can still be a success as it's early October.

Same here, never really disliked one of our managers before him.
It's not even because we are shit under him, but its his complete lack of responsibility for the many, many failures and the aura of arrogance surrounding him.
The incessant citing of a couple of domestic cups like they are UCL trophies every time someone questions him makes me want to slap him in the face.

Just reeks of someone willing to do and say anything to keep his hold on a prestigious job, even if it means lowering the standards relentlessly of a great club.

I actually think he’s a decent manager. But for many reasons, I don’t think he suits an elite club. He doesn’t have the personality or bollocks for it. It was evident in his first press conference. He looked very uncomfortable

And unfortunately he’s very stubborn to boot. If he was willing to let others guide him at times he might get away with it more

Think he’d have done alright at Spurs or something
Comes across as arrogant and entitled, combined with all the BS excuses I’ve had enough.

There's a case to be made that the clubs struggles post Fergie have been largely down to the Glazers/Woodward also searching for a new Fergie. Every manager has inherited SAF's power and control over transfers and the football operations instead of implementing a proper footballing structure. And if you go back even further that may have also been the case in the 70's and 80's when the club were searching for the next Busby. It's a bit of a scary thought that outside of the Busby and Fergie eras you have to go back to 1911 when we last won a title under a different manager, and even then we only won two titles pre Busby.

This is a very valid point. We have been terribly run for a long time now, except for Fergie's genius could mask it. When he left, the shoddy house of cards crumbled, and it exposed just how badly we are run as an organisation.

However, I feel we've also appointed poorly, for the most part. The weird fascination with failed managers from our own fanbase is absolutely bonkers, and it's something I'll never understand. We've done feck all in the post-Fergie era barring some cups and two second place finishes. One of those second place finishes (Ole's) had us at an Xg of 66 points, which would have had us 4th (2 points behind Leeds' Xg). Yet, still, these sorts of things are still celebrated by some of our fanbase.

I grew up through the good times under Fergie, and what I've seen over the past 11 years has been nothing short of appalling. We've squandered 100's of millions, bought absolutely terribly, appointed poor managers etc. I find all of our previous ex-managers tenures inexcusable, yet some seem to genuinely believe that some done a good job. I think the standards across the fanbase and the club is at absolute rock bottom, and I have little faith in our immediate future. INEOS were supposed to be this big beacon of hope who would bring in the "best in class" but the early signs aren't promising, in that respect.

Last edited:
He ain't going nowhere. This is the repeat of the nonsense during VG, Jose & Ole when we kept hoping that they'd be sacked after each horrible performance & result but the sackings never came. We will be made to suffer through hell for atleast a couple more months just because of Ineos' stupidity in sticking with Ten Hag & indulging him with more of his ex-players. We are in the same situation as before where these guys just don't want to admit that they made a blunder.

The Glazers are quarter dead, Long live the quarter Glazers!

Not that it matters at all but I more or less made my mind about him in the last third of his supposedly good 1st season.

Circling back to this - I just saw on Bleacher report that since the Carabao final against Newcastle - we've played 58 league games, lost 21 of them, and only won 28.

I couldn't believe it and went to check for myself on transfermarkt and it's right.

That's shocking. Incredible that this guy still has a job. fecking hell

Fecking hell, you seriously got that from my post?
Your guesswork as you say, was that he has the right ideas (you didn't say this, but was implied), but because of poor communication from him, the team is unable to put his masterclass into action.

Just as from watching us play and hearing him speak about his footballing ideas, my guesswork is that he's bang average at this level, doesn't plan well and the players (who all have played under at least half a dozen managers at various levels and tournaments) for the most part are faithfully executing whatever he's asking of them.

No, I think in the next three games we should expect to see what a lot of people want, because they'll think we'll be a better team for it - Bruno out the side.
And if we win those games, the fans take over the manager's role because this proves something?

In any case, what does the fans' demands on team selections have to do with whether or not ETH should continue to be our manager? You know what else a lot of people want? 3 points every weekend and not getting humiliated several times a season.

Looking at the table it's a simple fact.

But I can imagine some Liverpool fans being ready to built him a statue just for this :lol:
Easy to be gracious when you're winning most games. Let's wait till they hit a rough spot and see how he handles it then. I've no idea how he's been in Netherlands and whether he's the wind/rain/oppo injuries-blaming kinda guy.

This is a very valid point. We have been terribly run for a long time now, except for Fergie's genius could mask it. When he left, the shoddy house of cards crumbled, and it exposed just how badly we are run as an organisation.

However, I feel we've also appointed poorly, for the most part. The weird fascination with failed managers from our own fanbase is absolutely bonkers, and it's something I'll never understand. We've done feck all in the post-Fergie era barring some cups and two second place finishes. One of those second place finishes (Ole's) had us at an Xg of 66 points, which would have had us 4th (2 points behind Leeds' Xg). Yet, still, these sorts of things are still celebrated by some of our fanbase.

I grew up through the good times under Fergie, and what I've seen over the past 11 years has been nothing short of appalling. We've squandered 100's of millions, bought absolutely terribly, appointed poor managers etc. I find all of our previous ex-managers tenures inexcusable, yet some seem to genuinely believe that some done a good job. I think the standards across the fanbase and the club is at absolute rock bottom, and I have little faith in our immediate future. INEOS were supposed to be this big beacon of hope who would bring in the "best in class" but the early signs aren't promising, in that respect.

Absolutely.

Moyes was an average manager who had no business at United.

Van Gaal was clearly past it circa 2014.

Jose arguably was still seen as a top coach but the signs were there towards the end of his 2nd stint at Chelsea that he was on the decline.

Ole didn't have the CV to be Uniteds manager.

Ten Hag is the only hire I can't fault as he looked like an up and coming manager. Even if he was a bit on the older side.

Couple that with them all having different styles and it's easy to see why it's been a disaster.

Absolutely.

Moyes was an average manager who had no business at United.

Van Gaal was clearly past it circa 2014.

Jose arguably was still seen as a top coach but the signs were there towards the end of his 2nd stint at Chelsea that he was on the decline.

Ole didn't have the CV to be Uniteds manager.

1wTen Hag is the only hire I can't fault as he looked like an up and coming manager. Even if he was a bit on the older side.

Couple that with them all having different styles and it's easy to see why it's been a disaster.

Tbh, ETH and Jose - for me anyway - made sense. Jose had recently won a title, and I wrongly assumed it was Real and Chelsea who had broken him, but we would be able to get the best version of him back.

The other choices were fecking awful. Ole as interim was a great call and a perfect remedy after Jose's final months, but to give him the permanent gig was simply an easy cop out by the Glazers, which the fans absolutely lapped up.

I tried my best to find some improvements this season, but they are so marginal that it becomes a difficult stance to keep after a very bad performance like the one against Spurs.

Finishing 8th last season and sitting 12th (after albeit not a huge number of games, but it's close to a 10 games combined for the season) you start to worry about where the team is going to end up.

Having to reset once again! and so soon after a summer transfer window is depressing, but at this point I can't see another outcome other than EtH departing after this week.

I tried my best to find some improvements this season, but they are so marginal that it becomes a difficult stance to keep after a very bad performance like the one against Spurs.

There were some marginal improvements, but I have to stress that they were indeed marginal. Also, improvements when coming from rock bottom are pretty easy to find. However, all of the utter nonsense from last season was exposed in the Twente and Spurs games.