Emile Smith Rowe

Nah. Smith Rowe is worth double McTominay, easily. You’d trust the latter to stay fit and play more games, but Smith Rowe has world class potential. It looks as though it will go unrealised but with a run of fitness he’s a £60m+ player quite comfortably.
WC potential? Yeah, sure.

Another case of our fans overrating a rivals player over ours even when all stats show otherwise. McTom even if he leaves here will be the better player of the two. He's not exactly what we need but he'd thrive at Fulham and become a mainstay there and you can trust him to stay fit. ESR is talented and has a good game but he's not done close to enough for our fans that have also watched McTom to say ESR is better. It's the same fans that'll tell you Gallagher is better too.

Under normal circumstances Fulham could never afford or attract a player like him, they're only able to do so because of his fitness issues and subsequent lack of playing time. They could sign a mid-level player to maintain their status as a mid-level club, that would be the safer move, or they could gamble on a player like Smith Rowe who could either become a player that massively improves them or one that does nothing because he can't stay fit. They've decided to take a risk, fair play to them, will be interesting to see if it works out.

Nah. Smith Rowe is worth double McTominay, easily. You’d trust the latter to stay fit and play more games, but Smith Rowe has world class potential. It looks as though it will go unrealised but with a run of fitness he’s a £60m+ player quite comfortably.
No :lol:

He's a decent player and might end up having a good career, but he's not WC potential, that's ridiculous.

Hahaha smith rowe has world class potential?! Based on what exactly?

The guys has 9 premier league assists in the last four seasons and 12 goals - 10 of which came in one season two years ago.

Mctom has 17 goals in the past 4 seasons.

If he had world class potential he would be playing for arsenal's first team, not being sold around to relegation candidates.

Hahaha smith rowe has world class potential?! Based on what exactly?

The guys has 9 premier league assists in the last four seasons and 12 goals - 10 of which came in one season two years ago.

Mctom has 17 goals in the past 4 seasons.

If he had world class potential he would be playing for arsenal's first team, not being sold around to relegation candidates.
To be fair, McTominay has played over twice the games I am sure. And they are not really similar.

The more accurate comparison would be a Cole Palmer. ESR 3 years ago would have looked similar to him in pre Chelsea potential. Palmer has obviously started to realize that potential and unfortunately ESR has not been able to(probably regressed), I think mainly because of injuries and lack of back to back games.

This is one of those threads where people are going to look silly in 6 months time. ESR is miles ahead of McTominey as a footballer and I think it will become clear rather quickly.

Jesus Christ lads, tetchy much?

I have watched shitloads of Arsenal over the past few years as my partner is a frequent match going Gooner. I promise you that the fella was every bit as talented as Saka for two years on the spin. Injuries fecked him.

Also, he’s shown far more at the top level than Ravel ever did, and we all (quite rightly) hold onto the dream of him being a WC talent that never got it together.

It’s not that deep.

£30m+ for a truly talented ball carrying, assisting goal scorer of a midfielder vs £17mish for a solid PL midfielder isn’t tough math.

You can argue that even at £20m, Scott is better value. I’d agree. But McTominay will never be better than he has shown. He’s an unspectacular midfielder with a great engine, good feet, an eye for a goal. Those players are ten a penny.

Smith Rowe still has way more potential. If you had to back one of them to be transferred for £60m in their career, 100% of people would back Smith Rowe.

ESR certainly has more ability, that’s unquestionable.

Does he have the fitness and attitude to succeed? Only time will tell

ESR certainly has more ability, that’s unquestionable.

Does he have the fitness and attitude to succeed? Only time will tell

They don’t really need him. But I thought Villa might have taken a punt on him. Emery handed him his debut. I think he rejected Barcelona during that time. Maybe my time math is a little off in terms of how much they overlapped at Arsenal though.

Smith Rowe always looked like such a great talent, more talented at a young age than Saka I always thought, but he never really made it at Arsenal, maybe he’s not strong enough mentally or something. It seems he has so much potential but maybe it will never work out at a big club in the first team, his injuries haven’t helped, that’s for sure. He hardly played last season right?

One team won a trophy and the other didn't... you're never going to guess who started in the FA Cup final!

Arsenal have a much better team than ours. That is why a player who played less for than can still be worth more than a player who played more for us.

He did play the FA Cup final, maybe that played a part in us having 26% possession.

Arsenal have a much better team than ours. That is why a player who played less for than can still be worth more than a player who played more for us.

He did play the FA Cup final, maybe that played a part in us having 26% possession.
You're right, it's the striker that dictates that. Put it this way, Fabio Vieira had 3 appearances post Feb 20th. He's fecking shite.

You're right, it's the striker that dictates that. Put it this way, Fabio Vieira had 3 appearances post Feb 20th. He's fecking shite.

Yeah I agree from what I've seen Fabio Vieira isn't very good. Smith-Rowe looks a good player and I've seen quite a lot more of him.

Great logic, maybe if Real Madrid had better midfielders than Camavinga, Kroos, Modric, Valverde or Bellingham they could’ve had more than 33% possession against Man City in the CL SF.

I thought we were great against City, about as comfortable as anyone looked against that lot in ages.
Mctominay played part in that, just like he did against Liverpol in the quarters and against Coventry in the semis.

Yeah I agree from what I've seen Fabio Vieira isn't very good. Smith-Rowe looks a good player and I've seen quite a lot more of him.
Smith Rowe played 398 minutes last season thats four 90 minute games and 42 minutes of extra change. 172 minutes in the prem the season before that. Where did you get this more that you saw.

How has this guy ended up being rated so highly when his main thing is not being good enough to get in the Arsenal team for several years?

When he first came onto the scene I thought he was a nailed on superstar.
Gazza regen.
If he can recapture that then 30m will be cheap. Big gamble though given the injuries but he is young enough to overcome, maybe. It’s quite an expensive “punt” especially for a team like Fulham

How has this guy ended up being rated so highly when his main thing is not being good enough to get in the Arsenal team for several years?
He was in our team and had some great performances esp Chelsea away and scored 10 goals as a teenager. He had a very bright future and still does.

Injuries wrecked him and in the last 2 years anytime he was fit he had to be on the bench as he wasn't displacing any of Saka, Trossard, Odegaard.

Smith Rowe played 398 minutes last season thats four 90 minute games and 42 minutes of extra change. 172 minutes in the prem the season before that. Where did you get this more that you saw.

I've seen him play around 30 to 40 times I'd guess. Looked a significantly better operator than McTominay, far better technically.

This is one of those threads where people are going to look silly in 6 months time. ESR is miles ahead of McTominey as a footballer and I think it will become clear rather quickly.

Yeah I'm bookmarking it. Rarely something I do but this one feels like either people have never watched him or just want to argue out of boredom.

He was in our team and had some great performances esp Chelsea away and scored 10 goals as a teenager. He had a very bright future and still does.

Injuries wrecked him and in the last 2 years anytime he was fit he had to be on the bench as he wasn't displacing any of Saka, Trossard, Odegaard.
So basically, he isn't good enough to get in your team?

I don't remember him being all that when he was playing regularly either.

My main memory is of him kicking the ball into an empty goal at OT while the goalkeeper was down injured and then celebrating as if he'd thumped one in from the half way line in the CL final.

Looking at his injury history, it's his groin that's caused him to miss the most and that hasn't been an issue for a while now.

23/24Bruise on ankleFeb 8, 2024Feb 14, 20246 daysArsenal FC1
23/24Knee injuryOct 31, 2023Dec 10, 202340 daysArsenal FC9
22/23Groin surgerySep 10, 2022Jan 9, 2023121 daysArsenal FCEngland U2121
20/21Shoulder injurySep 10, 2020Dec 10, 202091 daysArsenal FCEngland30
19/20Head injurySep 23, 2019Oct 7, 201914 daysArsenal FC U232
19/20Groin injuryAug 8, 2019Dec 13, 2019127 daysArsenal FC U23England34
18/19Adductor painApr 22, 2019May 13, 201921 daysRB Leipzig4
18/19Hamstring injuryJan 14, 2019Apr 15, 201991 daysArsenal FC U23RB LeipzigEngland24
18/19Groin problemsNov 29, 2018Feb 28, 201991 daysArsenal FC U23RB Leipzig6
18/19Bruised ribsSep 27, 2018Oct 4, 20187 daysArsenal FC U231
That more recent knee injury might be linked to the long-standing groin issue. If his hip issue hadn't fully fixed itself it might have had a knock-on effect.

Not sure what he has done in the second half of the 23/24 season, but with the limited playing time of a dozen games, maybe they have been nursing him through due to not being fully rehabbed.

It's hard to fully value his potential but 35 million is a lot to be paying for someone who could have a persistent issue.

Last edited:
So basically, he isn't good enough to get in your team?

I don't remember him being all that when he was playing regularly either.

My main memory is of him kicking the ball into an empty goal at OT while the goalkeeper was down injured and then celebrating as if he'd thumped one in from the half way line in the CL final.

Here's a wee highlights video if you have a spare 8 mins to refresh your memory.

I think it says it all, when there's many saying £35M is a ridiculous amount, that a big part of me as an Arsenal fan is thinking maybe we shouldn't sell him and just allow him to go on loan for a year to try and build up match fitness and see if the form will return.

Yet if we got offered that for the likes of Nketiah, Nelson, Vieira who are in the fringes, I'd bite your hand off.

Not sure what he has done in the second half of the 23/24 season, but with the limited playing time of a dozen games, maybe they have been nursing him through due to not being fully rehabbed.
Arteta just preferred Odegaard. He not only played in 35 league games he was also rarely subbed off.

Here's a wee highlights video if you have a spare 8 mins to refresh your memory.

I think it says it all, when there's many saying £35M is a ridiculous amount, that a big part of me as an Arsenal fan is thinking maybe we shouldn't sell him and just allow him to go on loan for a year to try and build up match fitness and see if the form will return.

Yet if we got offered that for the likes of Nketiah, Nelson, Vieira who are in the fringes, I'd bite your hand off.

Most if that video is of him doing nothing at all. Every time we sign a player or one appears from our academy for a 5 minute cameo there'll be a video like this.

I'm not saying he's a bad player but I don't remember seeing anything to suggest this is a bad move for Arsenal or that he's going to set the world on fire at Fulham. I think more likely he'll go there and be somewhere between good and ok for them, for which £35m is probably about right.

Wouldnt put it in the same category as Palmer to Chelsea and even there I think it needs another season to see if he can maintain the same levels now opposition teams know about him and will have had his game scouted etc.

Most if that video is of him doing nothing at all. Every time we sign a player or one appears from our academy for a 5 minute cameo there'll be a video like this.

I'm not saying he's a bad player but I don't remember seeing anything to suggest this is a bad move for Arsenal or that he's going to set the world on fire at Fulham. I think more likely he'll go there and be somewhere between good and ok for them, for which £35m is probably about right.

Wouldnt put it in the same category as Palmer to Chelsea and even there I think it needs another season to see if he can maintain the same levels now opposition teams know about him and will have had his game scouted etc.

You seem hard to impress, so fair enough.

If McTominay was worth a lot, Man Utd would be keeping him, but it's fair to say I think that you guys want an upgrade. He had a significant amount of playing tome already. He is not a bad player but a bit limited.

ESR has only played twice the amount of minutes in his whole career so far in the PL as McTominay did last year.

The biggest question regarding ESR is if he can stay healthy and if he can get back on the trajectory he was on at one point in his career. Fairly big ifs. Really liked this player, but at this point both need to move on. We also have Nwaneri waiting in the wings. Hope we see him take ESR's minutes.

I'm an arsenal fan and I would love to keep him because I think he's an amazing player to have on the bench. But he's never going to get into the first 11 under arteta because Smith Rowe is like the epitome of a "jack of all trades but master of none" type player. I think he's kind of like a poor man's aaron ramsey. Can do a job at the wing. Can do a job as a 10. Can do a job as a false nine. Can do a job as an 8. But he's never going to be the best option in one of those positions at a top club imo.

There's a fella a few posts up saying Rowe-Smith has "world class" potential.

That's when you know it's time to leave a thread.

ESR could only dream about scoring 10 goals in a season.