Emile Smith Rowe

£35m for a player who hasn't played properly in over two seasons is not a good deal from any angle.

I mean, if he goes on to fulfill his potential then it will be.

He's an Eze type player, Eze better at dribbling, Smith-Rowe probably better at combination play, but if Eze can become a £60m player that many rate him at, then Smith-Rowe has that potential as well, that's why I'd like a buy back included.

He was a 10 goal midfielder in his only real full season, you don't get many of them out there.

I agree...but Fulham seems like a good move for him. He needs a bit of a restart to his career I guess.

Yeah, indeed, he had a great first 18 months, regarded as well as Saka, given the 10 shirt, made his England debut etc. But those fitness issues reared it's head again, and the team went up a couple of levels where he found it difficult to get back in.

Can see for all involved, especially the player, it's better to move on. Unfortunate though, Arsenal fans love him, so it's always difficult to actually see it happening.

Out of all the young guys leaving the past year or so, Balogun, Nketiah, Nelson etc, this 1 will sting the most.

He's an Eze type player, Eze better at dribbling, Smith-Rowe probably better at combination play, but if Eze can become a £60m player that many rate him at, then Smith-Rowe has that potential as well, that's why I'd like a buy back included.

He was a 10 goal midfielder in his only real full season, you don't get many of them out there.
I get all that but I can't get how he hasn't played in over two seasons. There's as big a risk there if not bigger, than him fulfilling potential.

The fee sounds insane but kudos to Arsenal on the deal. If Fulham still want McTominay theyl have to do a fair bit better than £17m.

Considering his lengthy injury record and almost total lack of playing time over the last couple of seasons, that is one mighty big IF.

Seemed like a highly promising young player a few years back but with the injury nightmares he's had to endure over the last years there's no telling what kind of impact they've had in his development. The kind of player who for the right price could be worth a punt to see if he can get over his fitness issues and get his career back on track but a colossal risk to make a player like him a club record signing. If it all goes tits up and his injury problems follow him to Fulham, the club only have themselves to blame.

I get all that but I can't get how he hasn't played in over two seasons. There's as big a risk there if not bigger, than him fulfilling potential.

The fee sounds insane but kudos to Arsenal on the deal. If Fulham still want McTominay theyl have to do a fair bit better than £17m.
I personally think it's kind of mad that this guy goes for £35m and someone like DvB goes for £500k. Hey maybe SR is a player with more potential but they both play a similar-ish position and have a similar recent injury record.

He'll probably stay fit and be a good player for them, but it could easily go wrong. I just feel Fulham could have held out and got him cheaper than that. There's no way he should cost more than McT coming off of last season, regardless of talent. Guess they wanted him in before the start of the season though? Feels like an odd one.

I personally think it's kind of mad that this guy goes for £35m and someone like DvB goes for £500k. Hey maybe SR is a player with more potential but they both play a similar-ish position and have a similar recent injury record.

He'll probably stay fit and be a good player for them, but it could easily go wrong. I just feel Fulham could have held out and got him cheaper than that. There's no way he should cost more than McT coming off of last season, regardless of talent. Guess they wanted him in before the start of the season though? Feels like an odd one.
Probably because DvB has gone to and failed at many places whereas there is that sense of the unknown with ESR, who may flourish with a change of scenery as he's been at arsenal so long.

I personally think it's kind of mad that this guy goes for £35m and someone like DvB goes for £500k.
You're comparing the maximum Arsenal can get with the absolute minimum Man United can get.

Also, Smith-Rowe is younger, English, counts as homegrown and has played well in the Prem before. Of course he's going to sell for a lot more.

Probably because DvB has gone to and failed at many places whereas there is that sense of the unknown with ESR, who may flourish with a change of scenery as he's been at arsenal so long.
True, not sure that's worth £34.5m more though.

£20m and this is a good deal I think, even for Arsenal. £35m and it's heavily in Arsenal's favour. I feel like there are probably other players out there that Fulham could get for that same amount and who'd represent less risk.

You're comparing the maximum Arsenal can get with the absolute minimum Man United can get.

Also, Smith-Rowe is younger, English, counts as homegrown and has played well in the Prem before. Of course he's going to sell for a lot more.

£20m and this is a good deal I think, even for Arsenal. £35m and it's heavily in Arsenal's favour. I feel like there are probably other players out there that Fulham could get for that same amount and who'd represent less risk.

van der Beek was €500k, potentially rising to around €10m. This is an unknown amount, potentially rising to £35m. ESR has also not been a failure at three clubs in a row, is not employed by a club desperate to sell, and is not in the last year of contract.

Fair points.

Considering his lengthy injury record and almost total lack of playing time over the last couple of seasons, that is one mighty big IF.

Seemed like a highly promising young player a few years back but with the injury nightmares he's had to endure over the last years there's no telling what kind of impact they've had in his development. The kind of player who for the right price could be worth a punt to see if he can get over his fitness issues and get his career back on track but a colossal risk to make a player like him a club record signing. If it all goes tits up and his injury problems follow him to Fulham, the club only have themselves to blame.

It's defo a gamble for them, but at the same time, if it wasn't for his lack of game time, then Fulham wouldn't really have a chance at signing him. It was teams like Villa and Chelsea he was linked to previously.

ESR still has a fairly high ceiling. Injuries have held him back quite a bit and he now finds himself in a position he has to leave. It's unfortunate as like most Arsenal fans, i really wanted him to succeed with us. There is a bit of a risk here for Fulham, but if he turns out he can stay healthy, he may well prove to be more than worth it.

Looking at his injury history, it's his groin that's caused him to miss the most and that hasn't been an issue for a while now.

23/24Bruise on ankleFeb 8, 2024Feb 14, 20246 daysArsenal FC1
23/24Knee injuryOct 31, 2023Dec 10, 202340 daysArsenal FC9
22/23Groin surgerySep 10, 2022Jan 9, 2023121 daysArsenal FCEngland U2121
20/21Shoulder injurySep 10, 2020Dec 10, 202091 daysArsenal FCEngland30
19/20Head injurySep 23, 2019Oct 7, 201914 daysArsenal FC U232
19/20Groin injuryAug 8, 2019Dec 13, 2019127 daysArsenal FC U23England34
18/19Adductor painApr 22, 2019May 13, 201921 daysRB Leipzig4
18/19Hamstring injuryJan 14, 2019Apr 15, 201991 daysArsenal FC U23RB LeipzigEngland24
18/19Groin problemsNov 29, 2018Feb 28, 201991 daysArsenal FC U23RB Leipzig6
18/19Bruised ribsSep 27, 2018Oct 4, 20187 daysArsenal FC U231

It's weird if they have switched from McTom to him. Very different types of player.

A good one and a shit one?

I jest. I actually appreciate McTom.

Yeah he's one of our few 'crap' players who actually has a solid rep with other fans, mainly cause of his roy of the rovers moments.

I think 25-30 would be fair. He's a good player, Arsenal have just improved a lot while he's had injuries and are going to play their expensive signings over him.

35million for a 23 year old who has not only barely played in 2 years, but barely had a highlight in that time.
35m when he was looking promising 3 or 4 years back maybe, but that is insane.

And Fulham can shove it if they think they're getting McTom for half of that!

What’s with assuming ‘up to 35m’ is all easy achievable addons? Could be a ballon d’or requirement for all we know. Has the breakdown been released?

What’s with assuming ‘up to 35m’ is all easy achievable addons? Could be a ballon d’or requirement for all we know. Has the breakdown been released?

It's Redcafe law.

When referring to someone you have sold or that another team has bought, you include all possible addons to make the deal look higher.

When referring to someone you have bought, you only mention the upfront figure.

It's Redcafe law.

When referring to someone you have sold or that another team has bought, you include all possible addons to make the deal look higher.

When referring to someone you have bought, you only mention the upfront figure.
It's funny because we get treated like that in the media too and moan like feck. Can't have it both ways.

ESR has a much higher ceiling than McTominay. In 21-22 ESR scored 10 league goals. He has been blighted by injury and lack of match fitness. But if he gets into a rhythm Fulham will have an outstanding player at a discount.

McTominay by contrast doesn't have the injury issues and fitness issues. But in terms of pure football ability, it's not a contest.

So the guy was fit from Feb 20th onwards last season and didn't get a kick yet he's better than McTominay? Something doesn't add up here...

He is a baller and will immediately become their best player. Great deal for Fulham.

So the guy was fit from Feb 20th onwards last season and didn't get a kick yet he's better than McTominay? Something doesn't add up here...

You could say the same about Amad. Sometimes managers are stubborn and inflexible, especially when they are under pressure to win.

It's funny because we get treated like that in the media too and moan like feck. Can't have it both ways.
I'd say you should expect fan sites dedicated to one club to see things from that clubs viewpoint. Whereas you should expect some consistency and non-bias from the supposed 'neutral' media, meant to be reporting the facts and not twisting them to suit an agenda / bias. The fact that the latter is pretty much just as agenda driven as the former is far less acceptable.

Plus, even though the bid is 'up to a maximum' of £35m, it's still bloody frustrating that Fulham are prepared to put in a top bid that's twice the amount so far of their reported top bid for McTominay.

It's really frustrating that despite getting such a good set up in place now for negotiating deals, teams are seemingly still lowballing us when it comes to what they'll bid for our players, while pushing up the price when we want to buy.

Nah. Smith Rowe is worth double McTominay, easily. You’d trust the latter to stay fit and play more games, but Smith Rowe has world class potential. It looks as though it will go unrealised but with a run of fitness he’s a £60m+ player quite comfortably.

Nah. Smith Rowe is worth double McTominay, easily. You’d trust the latter to stay fit and play more games, but Smith Rowe has world class potential. It looks as though it will go unrealised but with a run of fitness he’s a £60m+ player quite comfortably.

:lol: world class potential indeed. He'll be doing well if he's even got Billy Gilmour potential at this point.

Dozens of players have World class potential. Sick and tired of big fat fees for potential especially when they've barely played for 2 seasons.