Edinson Cavani - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically gonna be another Sanchez signing, what happened to not bringing in mercenaries on high wages, i thought we were abandoning this strategy? I genuinely wish nothing but the worst things in life to happen to Woodward and the Glazers.

I’d be delighted if all the feckers croaked it.

If Cavani is fit he would improve us arguably.

I wonder why we didn’t sign him earlier then? Or why no team in Europe seems to want him? Just all reeks of absolute panic again.

Being better than Ighalo really shouldn’t be a measuring stick on signing a player.

We missed out on Sancho, but maybe we will get Cavani. If we miss out on him too, we can always go for Bendtner. He is free too...

I wonder why we didn’t sign him earlier then? Or why no team in Europe seems to want him? Just all reeks of absolute panic again.

Being better than Ighalo really shouldn’t be a measuring stick on signing a player.
Ridiculous wage demands that’s why

Deciding if a player you want is better than what you currently have is a basic premise of recruitment no?

What's Ighalo on? 100K?

I'd rather have Cavani for 200-250K than Ighalo for 100K. Massive difference in level of the players.
To be fair €10m in wages is about £9m which is about 173k a week pre tax.

High for a back up striker. If he were content with about £6/7m a year it wouldn’t be the worst idea. But that combined with a long term deal and high agents fees. No thank you I’d rather we wait till January and move for a younger striker.

To be fair €10m in wages is about £9m which is about 173k a week pre tax.

High for a back up striker. If he were content with about £6/7m a year it wouldn’t be the worst idea. But that combined with a long term deal and high agents fees. No thank you I’d rather we wait till January and move for a younger striker.
And if it's not a long term deal?

In this case it's the exact sort of shit stupid deal that gets us stuck with a past it player on massive wages that we can't get rid of. The wages impact other signings. It's why we are stuck with Rojo/Smalling/Jones/Lingard/Romero/Mata or can only loan Dalot/Pereira. Even our goalkeepers. We are basically spend 500k a week on our goalkeepers. That's absolutely fecked up.
Exactly. Then people wonder why we can't find the money for Sancho

Ending up stuck with Cavani for multiple seasons doesn’t sound appealing at all. If we want to press higher up the pitch he doesn’t suit us anyway, better to get someone at a good age so they can compete with the three up top we have right now.

If the club is happy to pay the figures suggested then that's their prerogative. I'm certainly not going to get stressed out about it.
Yeah but its blatantly hurting other options. We don't buy a CB because we are loaded with numbers. Need to sell to buy. Only we can't sell because nobody will pay their wages. We have one of the very highest wage bills in Europe already, and get nowhere near that return in performances. We need to normalize that.

@Berbaclass

State of that.

Everything we’re trying to do in clearing the squad of deadwood will be undone with this deal.

Is he better than Ighalo? Yes. Doesn’t mean it’s a good deal for the club.

Inappropriate Content
If this is what they meant by 'stay calm' to the fans they can honestly get fecked. Woodward is going to need the army to protect him.

Can't believe I'm even saying this but I hope someone absolutely lamps the twat.

And if it's not a long term deal?
Then you’re faced with the same problem next season of bringing in another striker.

Of course he’s better than Ighalo but I can’t think of many clubs that need two world class strikers on rotation.

Then you’re faced with the same problem next season of bringing in another striker.

Of course he’s better than Ighalo but I can’t think of many clubs that need two world class strikers on rotation.
A club competing in 4 competitions maybe.

As far as I'm concerned I'd be happy for us to get him if the club can agree a deal they are happy with. If not then whatever.

We shouldn't accept the length, but I don't think the wages are THAT crazy are some are pointing out... he would be on level with Martial and Rash, wouldn't he? He has a tone of experience at top level, including lots of CL and with the national team. You have to pay for that kind of thing.

He is super profesional and hard working, and yeah, he surely plays for money, is his job, he is a fan of a club in Uruguay, so?
He wouldn't be just a backup, he would provide competition, something Ighalo can't do.

We shouldn't pay a lot on fees though, of course, that and contract length is why I don't think it will happen and rightly so in that context.

By the way, I have had him in football manager for a while, works well with Sancho on the right... that means it is happening isn't it? (no Telles though...) :lol:

@Berbaclass

State of that.

Everything we’re trying to do in clearing the squad of deadwood will be undone with this deal.

Is he better than Ighalo? Yes. Doesn’t mean it’s a good deal for the club.

Let me jump in here

“If he stays fit...”
“It’s not my money”
“Giggs played until he was 40”
“It’s only football”

Hopefully one of these arguments will mitigate the fact we have botched our summer transfer window completely

If Cavani was still motivated he'd be jumping at the chance to play in Premier League with United.

All he and his agent see is a chance to fleece Edward Cockwart. Avoid him like the plague. Let him piss off to China.

I have no faith in us getting anyone in at this late stage. Unless they pay the money dortmund want we will go into the season with what we have. Do not want Cavani for 2 seasons on stupid money, if its a pay as you play deal and for one season then, yes I'm all for it. Goals related bonus as well and give him 200k a week, even that is a bit much.

I thought we were staying away from this type of signings. Clearly Cavani is in it for just the money. And we have to question how good he is at the moment. He's in decline, he's had multiple muscle injuries in the past two seasons and none of the top teams want him. There's a good chance he ends up being another washed player on high wages and we can't get rid off.
Getting him for one season is ok but anything over that is unacceptable risk. We've seen this before and recently with Sanchez, who we had to pay off. It wasn't just the poor performance. He had a negative effect because he was earning a lot more than other players who were performing a lot better than him. We need to avoid making the same mistakes again.
Whether you are Ole in or Ole out, we can agree he's fixed the dressing room. Why threaten that.

Status
Not open for further replies.