Eden Hazard | Real Madrid Confirm the signing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shame hes leaving the PL but i think he will fail quite hard in Spain, a bit like Countinho is doing. He's had huge freedom to play as he pleases at Chelsea and he's not good enough to get that at Madrid. I don't think he'll respond well to being made to play a team role.

I think £88m for him even at 28 is cheap. Very few players like him in the world.

For comparison, we got Lukaku for not too dissimilar a price.

Wish we could buy top players the way Madrid do (Pogba aside).

Funny there's no "He's turning 29 in the middle of next season!" Posts

I think £88m for him even at 28 is cheap. Very few players like him in the world.

For comparison, we got Lukaku for not too dissimilar a price.

Wish we could buy top players the way Madrid do (Pogba aside).
They paid 88 mil rising to 130 for a player with 1 year left.

I don't know if I'm happy with this but I'll be missing watching him in PL.

A year left and a player who's not stopped talking about wanting to leave, and they manage 130m. Watch De Gea go for 50m now.

My theory has always been that he'll struggle to cope with the pressure he'll be facing at Real Madrid, will be interesting to see what happens.

Funny there's no "He's turning 29 in the middle of next season!" Posts

There would be if WE were trying to sign him. Who cares if Real blow all this cash on him.

And to his credit and unlike Bale he's not constantly injured.

So Chelsea bought him for £32m, got seven fantastic years and are selling him for £88m. The feckers

I don't think he'd have left for free. He'd have signed an extension with a pay bump if Madrid hadn't paid.

Wow this is out of the blue.....

Wonder what the add-on requirements are. Must be pretty acheivable in Chelseas eyes to accept £88 Million as a base figure.

I always think this 1 year left stuff is made out to be worth more than it actually is.

Fact is after Ronaldo, Neymar and Messi, Hazard is the best around, maybe alongside Salah.

If we had a 28 year old Ronaldo with 1 year left on his contract, and someone offered £88m, I'd rather just keep him and try to get him to sign another contract. If he goes he goes, but with £80m you'll get players like CHO or Pulisic for £60m as replacements - good but nowhere near the same league

Shame hes leaving the PL but i think he will fail quite hard in Spain, a bit like Countinho is doing. He's had huge freedom to play as he pleases at Chelsea and he's not good enough to get that at Madrid. I don't think he'll respond well to being made to play a team role.
He definitely is.

really good piece of business by Chelsea, all things considered. Will be interesting to see how they cope without him, especially if the transfer ban stands.

At least we're not going to suffer his transfer tweets unlike the last time he moved clubs. Having said that, there's still time unfortunately.

Great player, but he's played 11 full seasons as a senior professional now (well over 400 games). With the exception of the odd physical freak, that's usually the limit for how long a player can maintain his top level. I think Real have bought a player on the decline.

He could still be a brilliant player for them. But at that price I doubt they'll get the return from him that Zidane expects. As far as 28 year olds go, he's an 'old' 28 year old with a lot of miles on the clock. I'd guess (based on nothing other than intuition from years of watching football) a steep decline in form is coming within 2 seasons. Possibly even next.

The premier league's most gifted footballer IMO. The question is how he'll adapt to a new club and league at his age. He's not old but ideally you want to make this sort of move at 24-26.

Obviously they’d be better off keeping him, but if he’s going to leave anyway then that’s great business for Chelsea.

Understanding that they play different positions, if De Gea leaves I hope we manage to get a similarly good deal (doesn’t mean same price). Same age and De Gea’s got more too years ahead of him being a keeper and all. He shouldn’t be going anywhere for close to £40-50 (which I feel like I’ve seen thrown around).

Sad to see him leave the Premier League but I'm delighted he won't be playing for Chelsea any more. He always gave us problems whenever we played against him. His goal at Anfield in the League Cup this season was incredible.

I fear Hazard will spend his best years in a Madrid team in transition. I just hope his situation won’t resemble Bale’s.

Great player, but he's played 11 full seasons as a senior professional now (well over 400 games). With the exception of the odd physical freak, that's usually the limit for how long a player can maintain his top level. I think Real have bought a player on the decline.

He could still be a brilliant player for them. But at that price I doubt they'll get the return from him that Zidane expects. As far as 28 year olds go, he's an 'old' 28 year old with a lot of miles on the clock. I'd guess (based on nothing other than intuition from years of watching football) a steep decline in form is coming within 2 seasons. Possibly even next.

Messi is comparable in style. Hasn’t slowed down one bit. Just have to be selective in how you use him. La Liga will extend his career by 1.5 season at least imo.

With the transfer ban and Giroud up front they are screwed.

The premier league's most gifted footballer IMO. The question is how he'll adapt to a new club and league at his age. He's not old but ideally you want to make this sort of move at 24-26.

I think mentally he’s in his prime now. So it’s the perfect timing for him IMO but Madrid will only get a limited amount of time with him in his prime.

Messi is comparable in style. Hasn’t slowed down one bit. Just have to be selective in how you use him. La Liga will extend his career by 1.5 season at least imo.
Messi is the exception to every rule in the sport. He's a one in a billion player. Hazard's chances of following the same career trajectory similarly tiny.

For every Messi, there are hundreds of Rooney's, Sanchez's or Kaka's.

With the transfer ban and Giroud up front they are screwed.

If Madrid had any sense they should try get Giroud as well considering him and Hazard are a pretty decent combination.

Edit- not entirely serious suggestion.

Last edited:
People are underestimating Hazard's ability. Almost the whole time he's been at Chelsea they have had quite negative managers yet he's still thrived in offence. I think he will tear up La Liga and score many more goals than he does here.

He will be their best player, they will build the team around him.

If Madrid had any sense they should try get Giroud as well considering him and Hazard are a pretty decent combination.

Thankfully they have enough sense to know Giroud doesn’t belong anywhere near a Madrid shirt!

Thankfully they have enough sense to know Giroud doesn’t belong anywhere near a Madrid shirt!

Knew I should have added an emoji in my original post as I wasnt entirely serious. :)

Always thought Giroud is under rated but as thats off topic never mind.

Madrids new look attack is going to be pretty decent :(.

With him gone suddenly I feel at ease when I think of facing Chelsea next year. He was the one who always troubled us. He had the capability to win games on his own. He was Messi of Chelsea where mantra was to pass it to Hazard and let him weave his magic. It's a big loss to Chelsea and next year gonna be another rebuild year for them with new faces in team (and possibly new manager).

Status
Not open for further replies.