Dubai a contender to buy Man Utd

There is. Kim Jong Il’s culture of despotism in North Korea. Mussolini’s culture of fascism in Italy in 1940. Kong Leopold’s culture of slavery in the 1880’s. These are just instances. There are many. Mohammed al Maktoum’s human trafficking, prostitution and workers slavery of 85 percent of the people is something I value differently to him. Do you value it?
You have a very narrow view of the world. Blood is on the hands of every government in this world. Difference in you and I is that I understand that, whereas you cherry pick which one to get all judgmental with.

The glazers are accountable to their profit margin, the state is comfortable being accountable to more than that.
Since when was a state ever like that? The Glazers are accountable to their shareholders, they put money on the line in investments, just look at their mall ventures failing for example, that was a long-term investment that has started to unravel. If they didn't have United and their NFL Team, they'd be losing money fast. With the state, if it has disastrous investments in a company or bank, it'll just tax the people and bail them out. What a dumb post.

Since when was a state ever like that? The Glazers are accountable to their shareholders, they put money on the line in investments, just look at their mall ventures failing for example, that was a long-term investment that has started to unravel. If they didn't have United and their NFL Team, they'd be losing money fast. With the state, if it has disastrous investments in a company or bank, it'll just tax the people and bail them out. What a dumb post.
Compare city to us. Your views are short sighted, ignorant and propagandised.

Compare city to us. Your views are short sighted, ignorant and propagandised.
What are you on about? :lol:

Are you insinuating that because I said the Glazers are taking personal financial risks (which is the nature of any investment big or small) that I'm somehow pro-glazer? Mind-boggling bad take. This is reality, this is what all good and bad owners do. States have none of the risk that private citizens have.

It would make complete sense for Dubai, it’s the flashiest Emirate so having Utd would the icing on the cake.

As others have alluded to though, it’s not as rich as Abu Dhabi, Saudi Arabia or Qatar, but with our own money making ability we don’t really need an owner to build us from the ground up like City.

What are you on about? :lol:

Are you insinuating that because I said the Glazers are taking personal financial risks (which is the nature of any investment big or small) that I'm somehow pro-glazer? Mind-boggling bad take. This is reality, this is what all good and bad owners do. States have none of the risk that private citizens have.
Go on then :lol:
Have a wonderful week ahead.

The xenophobia whenever any middle Eastern owners are mentioned is hilarious. The Western nations are the biggest murders in the world but oh no not some brown people. So transparent.
Totally agree! I’ve been reading the comments in this thread and I’m genuinely shocked! It’s so so funny how some of these local lads wish to turn a blind eye on their own nations’ wrongdoings and can list a whole bunch of feck ups by other nations/states.

I’d go in further detail but idk what the restrictions on this forum are and I think you’ve already stated it in the most obvious and acceptable manner.

Also - for general discussion, I’d genuinely appreciate if our club was run the way city is for instance. A mammoth like our club in good hands would be scary for our rivals and amplify our success and following.

Ratcliffe should have enough money to buy United, no? Guy is 70 too, so where is he going to take all that money?

Just press the button Jimbo

sort of off topic I guess but I hate the place, it's an absolute shit-hole full of "ex-pat" tossers

most of the people who actually work there don't properly participate in society other than to provide borderline slave labour

Hes preferable because he just wants to get rid of the Glazers and their debt, put in a proficient structure, maybe upgrade Old trafford but more importantly just let the club spend its own money.

That's perfect, frankly i don't really give a shit about the politics or the practices of our owners i am interested in their capacity to run the football club as a football club, having an ownership from Dubai wouldn't be bad because they are homophobic or whatever, i mean look at Newcastle and the Saudis absolutely nobody gives a shit, the problem is they would pump the club full of money to compete with the other sugar daddies it would be soul destroying.
I think exactly the same. Who cares about politics, when speaking about a football club, I only care how well they can run the club, how much they can invest on players and facilities.

Another thing, Dubai doesn’t do things half-hearted, they need to be the best. Emirates airlines is a good example, it’s the best in the world.

Whatever people think of Dubai, they would be great owners from a business/success perspective, second place isn’t good enough for them.

Would be a huge move . Dubai thrives on tourism. Imagine the PR with united.

Only concern is Emirates is already sponsoring lot of shirts / stadiums. Won't it be a conflict of interest?
Emirates is an airline. They’re not the ones who’d be buying our club. It would be an Emirate/State (Dubai) that would be buying us.

The only connection we’d have is probably a sponsorship agreement and that would not create any conflict. Emirates already sponsors multiple clubs and we’d just be another one for them. It’s more and more beneficial for the airline to sponsor as many clubs as possible from a marketing perspective. Clubs wouldn’t care as they’re getting paid to promote the brand and that has nothing to do with another club.

I suspect its just a leak to the press to nudge Ratcliffe into an offer --- and you can bet the house its leaked at this low a price to generate competition for the sale and push the eventual price up.

Another thing, Dubai doesn’t do things half-hearted, they need to be the best. Emirates airlines is a good example, it’s the best in the world.

Whatever people think of Dubai, they would be great owners from a business/success perspective, second place isn’t good enough for them.

Weren't the Emir of Dubai struggling for $$ a few years back and had to borrow from the cousins in Abu Dhabi?

Weren't the Emir of Dubai struggling for $$ a few years back and had to borrow from the cousins in Abu Dhabi?
That was during the financial crisis in 2008, it’s not really a fair metric given it was the near collapse of the entire financial system globally. They’ve wisened up a lot about debt and leverage since then.

The xenophobia whenever any middle Eastern owners are mentioned is hilarious. The Western nations are the biggest murders in the world but oh no not some brown people. So transparent.
Absolute rubbish.

Ignore their human rights record all you like, they are terrible.

You mean like city and us? What's so bad about state owners who are more accountable than private ones?

Exactly what way do you think state actors are more accountable than non-state actors?

Would be a huge move . Dubai thrives on tourism. Imagine the PR with united.

Only concern is Emirates is already sponsoring lot of shirts / stadiums. Won't it be a conflict of interest?

I was exactly thinking the same thing. If Sky were denied the right to buy United by what was the Monopolies and Mergers Commission over 2 decades ago, I don't think that the successor body - the Competition Commission would be happy to let such a company with such potential conflict of interest buy United that easily.

Hm, this coming from the club being bailed out with taxpayers money who removed the cross from their emblem for some cash?
Real Madrid have never been bailed out by tax payers money … Since the 1990s we have been in some litigation or the other regarding our tax status. All of this was cleared up by us paying a fine of about 20m to clear back taxes.
Real Madrid made a business decision to enter someone else’s country and respect their religious beliefs. If Christianity was so tied to our identity, then Muslims like Benzema and Zidane would not be top-10 players for us.

Can’t wait for United fans to justify this after years of railing at City and PSG. I hope this website will still allow users to post about human rights issues in the ME after the takeover.
If you are talking about money being spent, United are filthy rich. So the owners wouldn't need to keep pumping cash like City or PSG or create fake companies as sponsors.

If you are talking about human rights issues, then of course we'll all act like Pep and talk about freedom of Catalonia while looking the other way for other people's rights.

Hold up, so people are actually against Dubai buying the club but they would be ok if a random Dubai billionaire buys instead? Or are people gonna be against it too just because this so called billionaire hails from deadly head-chopping Dubai?

If this happens, it woiuld probably mean we are debt free, with a fully renovated OT and much better carrington. I'm all for it.

Hold up, so people are actually against Dubai buying the club but they would be ok if a random Dubai billionaire buys instead? Or are people gonna be against it too just because this so called billionaire hails from deadly head-chopping Dubai?
States buying football clubs do so for bad reasons, namely sportswashing. Random billionaires also buy them for bad reasons, but strictly none of them are worse than state actors using state funds to enable them to avoid scrutiny and sanction.

Works great for Barceloana.

If we could ge rid off Glazers and not get a sheikh that promotes no human rights that woulkd be great thanks.
Who is rich enough to do this WITHOUT getting their hands dirty in this world, though?
States buying football clubs do so for bad reasons, namely sportswashing. Random billionaires also buy them for bad reasons, but strictly none of them are worse than state actors using state funds to enable them to avoid scrutiny and sanction.
That's a weird take, to generalize ALL states buying football clubs as bad guys.

What even is an Emirate? A stadium, a country, an airline?
A territory run by an Emir. The UAE is a federation of a number of emirates which operate similarly to the way states do in the USA or Australia. Kuwait is both a country and an Emirate.

Am I an Emirate?

Probably not. Even if you are master of your own domain (Seinfeld reference)

Agreed. I hate the Glazers but at least we're not used for sportswashing. I'd rather a normal(-ish) businessman like Boehly.

Afaik, Emirates are hereditary titles and places like Duchies and the UAE is made up of several of them.

Emirate in English means Principality, which is a state ruled by a prince, Emir = Prince.

UAE is made of 7 Emirates (Principalities), Abu Dhabi is the ruling emirate is they are the richest and the one that led the charge of independence and unity, an Emirate is ruled by a Sheikh who heads up the ruling family (they don't call themselves Emirs/Princes, for example, ruler of Qatar is an Emir)

Last edited:
There’s no reason to want these people in. Every time there’s talk of a state takeover, people get fanciful visions of Neymar, M’Bappe and whomever. We’ve spent over a billion since Sir Alex left. We just signed Casemiro from a club that at this point is far better off, strictly for financial reasons. At least with the Glazers we’re in no way in danger of doing a Leeds or Portsmouth. If these guys get tired of their plaything we’re screwed. At least with the glazers they have a vested interest in keeping us functional. And this is without getting into sportwashing.

What even is an Emirate? A stadium, a country, an airline?

Am I an Emirate?

An Emirate is similar to a State e.g. United States of America (USA)

And United Kingdom being a collection of kingdoms like Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and England.

UAE is the United Arab Emirates its a collection of Emirates. Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Ras Al Khaimah, Fujairah, Sharjah, Ajman and Umm Al Quwain.

Each emirate has its own Sheikh, the UAE is 51 years old, when they struck oil in the 70s Sheikh Zayed effectively founded the country and the Emirates joined together to form the UAE.

We hear more of Dubai and Abu Dhabi though, the others are smaller or don't really have the clout of the former 2. Abu Dhabi is the capital and Sheikh Mansour and the Abu Dhabi Investment Group own City.

Dubai has major money due to tourism and isn't oil reliant like Abu Dhabi. Dubai is really well laid out and planned.

They'd do a wonderful job really.

Assuming when they say Dubai they are referring to the Investment Corporation of Dubai (ICD) which is the investment arm of the state of Dubai, headed by Hamdan the crown prince of Dubai.

There’s no reason to want these people in. Every time there’s talk of a state takeover, people get fanciful visions of Neymar, M’Bappe and whomever. We’ve spent over a billion since Sir Alex left. We just signed Casemiro from a club that at this point is far better off, strictly for financial reasons. At least with the Glazers we’re in no way in danger of doing a Leeds or Portsmouth. If these guys get tired of their plaything we’re screwed. At least with the glazers they have a vested interest in keeping us functional. And this is without getting into sportwashing.

They'd have the best people in charge, boardroom down to grass roots.

The issue with United are the issues which new ownership would fix, and if those rumours have any truth United would be the biggest club in the world again.

Dubai is literally the hub of the world it connects east to west as a travel hub. United is a global brand.

They'd have the best people in charge, boardroom down to grass roots.

The issue with United are the issues which new ownership would fix, and if those rumours have any truth United would be the biggest club in the world again.

Dubai is literally the hub of the world it connects east to west as a travel hub. United is a global brand.

I disagree. From a club structure I think we’re ok. Sponsorship deals and the fact that we’re hugely in debt and not doing well but able to have a large expenditure are a reflection of that.

as I said recruitment and the idea of an unlimited budget is why people pine for state ownership. Structure wise we employ 50+ scouts who use analytics and create a shortlist for the manager. It’s not ownerships fault that the manager he have takes that list and picks Maguire or AWB because they’re English and premier league proven. We’ve seen this difference with Ten Haag already. The glazers write the check and that’s it. In a sense they are sugar daddy owners albeit on a law abiding scale.

Some of the replies here :lol: Yea we get it. An ideal owner would be an English billionaire who made his fortune very fairly, is living his life strictly following the 10 commandments and who supported United his entire life.

I'm all for Glazers out, but to be whoring ourselves to any one interested reflects pretty poorly. I'm neither for or against ICD or Radcliffe, but can't be a situation where we go beg people to buy us.

One things for sure, Rashid bin Mohammed Al Maktoum, and team, would build/renovate Old Trafford, and we'd get our Manchester United village.

You can bet that the renovation project would be amongst one of the best in the world! The experience they have to build a country, would be priceless in our rebuild.

Some of the replies here :lol: Yea we get it. An ideal owner would be an English billionaire who made his fortune very fairly, is living his life strictly following the 10 commandments and who supported United his entire life.
An ideal owner would be the fans.

Sir Jim seems the safest bet, at least he’s a long term supporter of the club and by that logic, probably be the best custodian to invest in future growth and development. We might even get a new stadium?

How true is this, surely Ratcliffe is the most sensible option??