View full 2023-24 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
The system player that was supposed to be fantastic under the system manager. Boy are fans clueless sometimes

It used to be the cameo in the 86th minutes. The man doesn't even get chances in stoppage time now. McTominay gets more minutes in one match, where he drops turds all day long, than Donny has all season.

It used to be the cameo in the 86th minutes. The man doesn't even get chances in stoppage time now. McTominay gets more minutes in one match, where he drops turds all day long, than Donny has all season.

People talk about Antony being the worst signing ever, at least Antony has provided us with some moments like vs Arsenal, Barcelona. Donny for me is the perfect example of how trash our transfer policy is.

People talk about Antony being the worst signing ever, at least Antony has provided us with some moments like vs Arsenal, Barcelona. Donny for me is the perfect example of how trash our transfer policy is.

It's too generous to call it a transfer "policy". More like one train wreck after another over the last decade.

Going back to Fellaini, it's been one clusterfukk after another with only a few exceptions. I understand both sides of the Bruno question but Bruno was a good buy. Martinez was a great buy. Varane and Casemiro are phenomenal footballers but are past their peak so they can't be called great buys,although Varane and Casemiro were very good last season. But I still can't get over what a heinous decision it was by Moyes to bring in Fellaini as his marquee signing.

It's too generous to call it a transfer "policy". More like one train wreck after another over the last decade.

Going back to Fellaini, it's been one clusterfukk after another with only a few exceptions. I understand both sides of the Bruno question but Bruno was a good buy. Martinez was a great buy. Varane and Casemiro are phenomenal footballers but are past their peak so they can't be called great buys,although Varane and Casemiro were very good last season. But I still can't get over what a heinous decision it was by Moyes to bring in Fellaini as his marquee signing.
I don’t think there was anything marquee about it. Moyes was expecting the club to have potential signings already lined up, was given some names but when he asked for their scouting reports there weren’t any. So there was much dithering and Fellaini was the last resort.

What was really heinous was that by the time Fellaini arrived, Moyes seemed to have forgotten what his best position was and attempted to play him as a DM.

And what's weird is that I remember being happy at the time that United was for once able to get a deal done quickly and with minimal fuss. Alas, even that kind of deal goes wrong for us.

The system player that was supposed to be fantastic under the system manager. Boy are fans clueless sometimes

But the only thing that is applicable is the system player. The system manager is mot playing ‘the system’ is he? In fact, he has come out and said he cannot play the system he used at Ajax, one which VDB thrived in. He instead seems to want a game more dependent on physical attributes than anything else, which of course does not suit him.

5 pages, has he even played a single minute yet this season? :lol:

And what's weird is that I remember being happy at the time that United was for once able to get a deal done quickly and with minimal fuss. Alas, even that kind of deal goes wrong for us.

I remember feeling the same. I think we also beat one or two other teams to his signing, which made me even more pleased. But, alas, we can’t have nice things. Not any more.

I think this "system player" is giving him too much credit. Kagawa, Mkhitaryan, Mata, etc were system players. Donny is just bad.

I said it before we signed him. All that he was getting praised for was an incredible amount of reaching. De Jong absolutely carried the midfield so he had an easy out. Just pass the ball to him. Then, ahead of him, he had Tadic who was carrying the attack. Give it him and he will hold it up and bring everyone into play.

All Donny did was supply the odd assist after the rest of the team had built up play or scored.

I think this "system player" is giving him too much credit. Kagawa, Mkhitaryan, Mata, etc were system players. Donny is just bad.

I said it before we signed him. All that he was getting praised for was an incredible amount of reaching. De Jong absolutely carried the midfield so he had an easy out. Just pass the ball to him. Then, ahead of him, he had Tadic who was carrying the attack. Give it him and he will hold it up and bring everyone into play.

All Donny did was supply the odd assist after the rest of the team had built up play or scored.
And Mount

Does anyone remember when he played in central midfield a few seasons back and got man of the match? He was very good in that game, really composed and controlled the midfield with his pass and move style, always available. I wonder why this has never been tried ever again?

He actually has looked very good playing in a deeper position and had the discipline to just hold the position and control. He doesn't have a big physical presence but you don need it if you play in a proper footballing high-possession side, just look at Scholes or Xavi.

As always I think we are missing trick at this club and players just get left to rot when they could actually be genuinely useful. Donny would be much better than Mount in deeper central midfield, another reason why the Mount signing is questionable when we already have someone with similar attributes.

In Scholes' later years he basically played as a holding creative midfielder alongside Carrick. I would not be opposed to seeing Donny tried there alongside Casemiro, with instructions for both of them to hold their position and control the game in deeper areas.

Does anyone remember when he played in central midfield a few seasons back and got man of the match? He was very good in that game, really composed and controlled the midfield with his pass and move style, always available. I wonder why this has never been tried ever again?

He actually has looked very good playing in a deeper position and had the discipline to just hold the position and control. He doesn't have a big physical presence but you don need it if you play in a proper footballing high-possession side, just look at Scholes or Xavi.

As always I think we are missing trick at this club and players just get left to rot when they could actually be genuinely useful. Donny would be much better than Mount in deeper central midfield, another reason why the Mount signing is questionable when we already have someone with similar attributes.

In Scholes' later years he basically played as a holding creative midfielder alongside Carrick. I would not be opposed to seeing Donny tried there alongside Casemiro, with instructions for both of them to hold their position and control the game in deeper areas.

100% what I have been saying. He would absolutely improve our play with the ball compared to McTominay since he actually is press resistent and can pick out quick passes. Would be worth a try since he actually now the system that Ten Hag played at Ajax so would be better to try that system then whatever they are doing now?

Ziyech played as an inside right playmaker who would occupy all the space van de Beek would leave, too. Guy owes it all to them three collectively.

Really weird that he’s not been given much of a chance by ETH when he’s been fit. Has he regressed so much since his Ajax days or did Erik just not trust him as much as was made out.

Feel a bit sorry for players like him. Flying at Ajax and gets a big move at 23ish then absolutely stagnates and sits at home for 4 years. Must be psychologically quite damaging.

Feel a bit sorry for players like him. Flying at Ajax and gets a big move at 23ish then absolutely stagnates and sits at home for 4 years. Must be psychologically quite damaging.
It is sad, though I'm sure if they just wanted to play regular football guys like DVB could find a new club without much trouble.

I expect the finances keep them here even when not playing / happy, which is understandable.

It’s odd how much he’s fallen in favour. Watching the disastrous rondo that was filmed yesterday, surely old Donny must be pretty good at that? Why would he not fit into ETHs style when clearly so many other don’t. Nothing makes any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.