View full 2020-21 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t watched him apart from YouTube compilation videos. Which player would the DvB fans/experts compare him to?

I get Bilbao Ander Herrera vibes from him, seems like he can do a bit of everything. Of course he has the benefit of being brought in Ajax, so technique, off-the-ball movement and quick passing should be way above average. If he is similar to Herrera, then I’m glad we don’t have LvG or Mourinho here to mess with his playing style.

I can't really think of anyone that would be a perfect comparison. People might say someone like Lampard or Scholes getting forward and scoring goals, but they both got on the ball way more and orchestrated things with their passing. DVB is more off the ball than on it, moving around looking for places to receive the ball or creating space by occupying opponents. Also his goals tend to come from inside the box with a placed finish, whereas Scholes and Lampard both had rocket shots where they would score a decent amount from the edge of the box. Maybe Bruno is a better example since he signed for us as he makes quite a lot of runs forward off the ball and has left a lot of the deeper buildup passing to our DMs, but he still gets on the ball more than DVB and more end product. But of course he's 2 years older than DVB

You don't need to have watch the game to know that 6 passes for a midfielder and also the least amount of touches on the field (including both goalkeepers) is never going to be enough. He has it in him to be far more than that, making any sort of excuses is just sugar coating it as you can play poorly, but you have to get involved.

They had a terrible setup and he wasn't playing as a midfielder.

You just knew Donny would get hammered if he failed to score a hat trick tonight :lol:

I think most of us can recognise if a player had a good game or a bad one. Maybe it was partially due to the poor set-up with Wijnaldum playing RW, but he was selected to play as the #10 ahead of him and didn't impose himself at all. He wasn't good at all against Italy, that cannot be denied.

I think most of us can recognise if a player had a good game or a bad one. Maybe it was partially due to the poor set-up with Wijnaldum playing RW, but he was selected to play as the #10 ahead of him and didn't impose himself at all. He wasn't good at all against Italy, that cannot be denied.
That’s fine but the way they set up there was little he could really do to impose himself. De Jong and De Roon were bullied all game and couldn’t get control, they had a massive defensive issue down their right because Wijnuldum wasn’t tracking back and Memphis couldn’t hold the ball against Chiellini and co as he’s not a natural CF.

Who cares if he played badly in this game? I watched it and Holland were bad to a man. Every one of them. I also watched England the other night and Sancho looked like he was worth £20 million not £120m.

international friendlies in preseason mean absolutely nothing. It’s how he comes in to our squad, puts the effort in our training sessions and how he does in our games that counts!

Donny will be fine. He’s a good player.

I haven’t watched him apart from YouTube compilation videos. Which player would the DvB fans/experts compare him to?

I get Bilbao Ander Herrera vibes from him, seems like he can do a bit of everything. Of course he has the benefit of being brought in Ajax, so technique, off-the-ball movement and quick passing should be way above average. If he is similar to Herrera, then I’m glad we don’t have LvG or Mourinho here to mess with his playing style.
Fellaini. Limited on the ball, will score the odd goal, will work hard and not complain.

Who cares if he played badly in this game? I watched it and Holland were bad to a man. Every one of them. I also watched England the other night and Sancho looked like he was worth £20 million not £120m.

international friendlies in preseason mean absolutely nothing. It’s how he comes in to our squad, puts the effort in our training sessions and how he does in our games that counts!

You are Correct . Donny didn't get a sniff last night, Italy Just completely closed Holland Out . He had the chance just before He was taken off but as a whole The Dutch were poor enough. Funny that people are willing to judge him on a game they didn't watch . Maybe watch a Few more games before you judge him . The players around him Gave him absolutely nothing . I personally was pretty impressed with Italy set up last night but these internationals Wont tell you much as they are a bit all over the place IMO .

Typical Caf reaction - one bad game and he suddenly becomes a bad player.

They had a terrible setup and he wasn't playing as a midfielder.
Eh, yes he was. This is his usual role. Deep midfielder who gets into the box. Obviously no one was there to feed him yesterday, but part of that was because of him.

Bingo.

It's like some people want him to fail already? or they want him to look poor so they can say "told you so he wasn't very good im a great scout" :lol:

He’s not going to take any of the creative weight off Pogba and Bruno’s shoulders, but he can be a good foil for both if Ole can get them all on the pitch together

Eh, yes he was. This is his usual role. Deep midfielder who gets into the box. Obviously no one was there to feed him yesterday, but part of that was because of him.

I don't think he was ever deep though this game, he was far closer to Depay than De Jong for example. He didn't have a good game because of that weird setup which made him not involved in the game much. His team was dominated on the ball in the 1st half and he wasn't helping much defensively. That may be his fault but it could also be the manager's instructions.

Fellaini. Limited on the ball, will score the odd goal, will work hard and not complain.

We already have Fred and McT though :wenger:

I can't really think of anyone that would be a perfect comparison. People might say someone like Lampard or Scholes getting forward and scoring goals, but they both got on the ball way more and orchestrated things with their passing. DVB is more off the ball than on it, moving around looking for places to receive the ball or creating space by occupying opponents. Also his goals tend to come from inside the box with a placed finish, whereas Scholes and Lampard both had rocket shots where they would score a decent amount from the edge of the box. Maybe Bruno is a better example since he signed for us as he makes quite a lot of runs forward off the ball and has left a lot of the deeper buildup passing to our DMs, but he still gets on the ball more than DVB and more end product. But of course he's 2 years older than DVB

Thanks for actually responding with a proper post. So you would see him as a Bruno backup? Can Bruno, Pogba and him play together in midfield? I’d imagine against teams outside the top 8 they’ll do fine. Ole prolly sees McT as the eventual Matic replacement, but I feel we should’ve brought in someone more suited to the role, over DvB. A young deep-lying recycler with top positioning would have been ideal, in my opinion. Like a Carrick? But like I’ve said, I’ve not watched DvB, so will give him time and time will tell. Fingers crossed!

I don't think he was ever deep though this game, he was far closer to Depay than De Jong for example. He didn't have a good game because of that weird setup which made him not involved in the game much. His team was dominated on the ball in the 1st half and he wasn't helping much defensively. That may be his fault but it could also be the manager's instructions.
Oh, yeah for sure. The set up was ridiculous. No clue why Lodeweges thought it was a good idea to change the system out of nowhere.

I couldn’t care less about last night’s game. It is typical Caf reaction to call any negative input a ‘typical caf reaction’ and based upon the most recent game alone, as opposed to having maybe held an opinion in the past. It is why I’m always referencing when I said something in the past that people keep getting on to me about. If you don’t, every opinion is filed as ‘reactionary’.

I see Donny as similar to what Lingard was a couple of years ago, but not really better. That isn’t even a criticism, just my appraisal. They have similar qualities in terms of good movement and game intelligence, hard running and getting goals and into goalscoring positions. But their strength is magnified with the collective, if isolated, they don’t have too individual brilliance I don’t think. It would be an asset to have that version of Jesse back for us tbh, that was a player who broke into the England starting XI and scored big goals for us.

Typical Caf reaction - one bad game and he suddenly becomes a bad player.
In other cases maybe this is true but this player was never more than average.

People do not want Memphis back but he is easily twice the level of Van de Beek in that AM spot.

Nevertheless hope he arrives and fits in well.

In other cases maybe this is true but this player was never more than average.

People do not want Memphis back but he is easily twice the level of Van de Beek in that AM spot.

Nevertheless hope he arrives and fits in well.
How much have you watched of vdB?

This is the reason I think he will help us in attack rather than midfield mostly. I can see him coming off the right in various games. He can also fill in for Pogba or Bruno when they need a rest or get injured and would be the chief staple player in league cup and Fa cup games. His movement, agility and great touches are what make him unique, with the rest of his game being on par with a normal player in whichever position he is called upon for.

Apparently he was dog shit last night? Justified? Or media overreacting to a quiet game because he’s just joined United?

I suspect the latter.

Apparently he was dog shit last night? Justified? Or media overreacting to a quiet game because he’s just joined United?

I suspect the latter.
The latter. Sure he didn't play well, but nobody else was much better.

Also, no player wants to be playing these internationals now. The schedule ahead is ridiculous.

Say United get to the semis of every competition again, in this shortened season some players could end up playing on average 6 games per month. Just before the Euros.

I watched the game and felt donny was isolated. The ball rarely arrived to him so.there is little he could do.. Nevertheless he still almost scored.
And BTW any comparisons with Delay doesn't make much sense.
One plays for the team whilst the other needs the team to play for him

I suspect the latter.
Our whole team was dog shit. Coach decided to make a very weird midfield change, which hamstrung us. Italy was also just miles better.

We already have Fred and McT though :wenger:

Thanks for actually responding with a proper post. So you would see him as a Bruno backup? Can Bruno, Pogba and him play together in midfield? I’d imagine against teams outside the top 8 they’ll do fine. Ole prolly sees McT as the eventual Matic replacement, but I feel we should’ve brought in someone more suited to the role, over DvB. A young deep-lying recycler with top positioning would have been ideal, in my opinion. Like a Carrick? But like I’ve said, I’ve not watched DvB, so will give him time and time will tell. Fingers crossed!

I think its possible we try with a 3 man midfield with Pogba sitting and Bruno and DVB pressing higher up the pitch and supporting attacks. I dont think it'll work against the good teams, not with a Maguire - Lindelof duo at CB anyway. But against weaker teams I think it'd be okay.

Are you having a laugh. Van De Beek is streets ahead. Way better technique on the ball. Only thing Fellaini is better at is physicality

Are you kidding me? He has come through the ranks at Ajax, which is one of the best academies in the world coaching wise. Most that come through that academy have brilliant technical ability.

He was signed to give us his goals or assists because his speciality is to find space and make run in the box, more like Lingard. He’s not playmaker. He needs good services and players who can find him when he’s making run which something he will get by playing with Pogba & Bruno not with Wijnaldum. Don’t worry, Ole got this.

Yeah, it's going to be great. Pogba near the box, Bruno in the box, Donnie in the box, and the center backs crying because there's no-one left to defend.

Yeah, it's going to be great. Pogba near the box, Bruno in the box, Donnie in the box, and the center backs crying because there's no-one left to defend.

That's one of the point of him being signed in as a player being brought in from the bench if we need to score goals. You don't play balance in XI when you are behind in the scoreline just to be safe. I have even seen United played Pogba & Mata in pair of midfield when we were behind trying to get a goal.

I couldn’t care less about last night’s game. It is typical Caf reaction to call any negative input a ‘typical caf reaction’ and based upon the most recent game alone, as opposed to having maybe held an opinion in the past. It is why I’m always referencing when I said something in the past that people keep getting on to me about. If you don’t, every opinion is filed as ‘reactionary’.

I see Donny as similar to what Lingard was a couple of years ago, but not really better. That isn’t even a criticism, just my appraisal. They have similar qualities in terms of good movement and game intelligence, hard running and getting goals and into goalscoring positions. But their strength is magnified with the collective, if isolated, they don’t have too individual brilliance I don’t think. It would be an asset to have that version of Jesse back for us tbh, that was a player who broke into the England starting XI and scored big goals for us.
Agree with you, reading some of the posts it's quite clear alot of people haven't seen him play much. Nothing special at all about this signing, likely to be deadwood in a few years time.

Getting compared with Lingard and Fellaini now. This place really is something else.

Getting compared with Lingard and Fellaini now. This place really is something else.

With Lingard at least, he's good at the things Lingard was supposed to be good at - off the ball movement to help teammates, pressing. I think its fair to compare them and say hes an improvement

Oh, yeah for sure. The set up was ridiculous. No clue why Lodeweges thought it was a good idea to change the system out of nowhere.
That's Lodeweges out of contention for the big job at least. Better realize that now then fluke two good games, get the job, and screw up afterwards. Useless occasion to judge Van de Beek on though.

He is more of an attacker that has the skillset to play box to box imo. I don't see why people limit him to central positions. His skill set says he can play on the flanks too in a similar way to Muller. At Ajax they had Ziyech there, so it was unnecessary. At United, I don't see why not for specific games.

Status
Not open for further replies.