Do we have enough goals in the squad?

We need a versatile winger. Antony, Rashford and Sancho are a waste of space!

Garancho and Amad are the only players who can actually create anything.

The answer is obviously no and only the usual blinkered postered believed that the addition of Amad and Zirkzee would significantly improve our attack.

I’ve said all summer this is a seriously average front line we have. The wingers and strikers are pretty average for a top side.

We will end the season with a similar number of goals as the previous seasons. The problems with ETH have been stated extensively and he is a massive problem too but the players in our forward positions are Europa league level and that’s what we are at the moment.
The problem is, he’s spent 180 million putting together these attacking players. So how do we somehow go out and spend even more

The old problem once again and will be a cause for concern the whole season. On paper, you look at the players we have in the forward positions and they have quality but there's no prolific scorer there, just either developing potential (Garnacho, Hojlund, Amad) or inconsistency from a senior player (Rashford) or a creative, link up player that's probably not going to get that many goals (Zirkzee).

We're dying for Rashford to get back to how he was a few years ago and that might not happen.

Selling McTominay is the right thing to do long term but leaves us with even less goal threat this season. Hope we've got some surprise last minute striker plan up our sleeve.

Selling McTominay is the right thing to do long term but leaves us with even less goal threat this season. Hope we've got some surprise last minute striker plan up our sleeve.

In an ideal world we get a goal threat from midfield like McT, but that can actually play football too.

I have no idea who that is or if such a player exists, but yeah.

This has been a major issue for a while now but barely gets discussed by fans.

We don't score enough. We don't create enough.
Until we do we won't challenge for the league or at least create an entertaining team of some sort.

Rashford, Garnacho, Sancho, Antony, Amad. Garnacho is still developing and the same for Amad it seems. Other 3 won't contribute enough in terms of G/A even though they should with their age and experience. So that's 5 wingers but not one that guarantees you plenty of goals and assists the way all those City, Arsenal, Liverpool etc wingers do.

Then we've got Hojlund and Zirkzee as ST options and though I like them neither is finished article. So that's 7 players for 3 positions (soon probably 6 with Sancho leaving) but you're not confident they'll contribute with enough goals. We'll probably rely too much on Bruno again.

Rashford, Garnacho, Sancho, Antony, Amad. Garnacho is still developing and the same for Amad it seems. Other 3 won't contribute enough in terms of G/A even though they should with their age and experience. So that's 5 wingers but not one that guarantees you plenty of goals and assists the way all those City, Arsenal, Liverpool etc wingers do.

Then we've got Hojlund and Zirkzee as ST options and though I like them neither is finished article. So that's 7 players for 3 positions (soon probably 6 with Sancho leaving) but you're not confident they'll contribute with enough goals. We'll probably rely too much on Bruno again.
I'm pretty sure Bruno's goals from open play have dropped off massively too. I expect Hojlund to score more this year, but it won't be enough unless Garnacho/Amad/Rashford/Zirkee chip in their fair share.

Garnacho should have 2 this year already, so should Bruno.

Goals will be the problem this year..
We have been unable to play free flowing football for some reason.. amd score goals so we will always be in the backfoot..and teams will always have a chance against us

Garnacho should start games, he's one of our proven goal scorers. And we gotta hope Hojlund returns in the same form as he had back in Jan, otherwise we're in trouble. Also gotta hope Bruno starts remembering how to shoot

If we are going to say bye to McTominay and Sancho, we’re light up top.

I seriously hope we get at least one body in that can help with the goals, or at least creating.

If we are going to say bye to McTominay and Sancho, we’re light up top.

I seriously hope we get at least one body in that can help with the goals, or at least creating.

Toney can hold up the ball and score, he's also good in the air which is something our other two strikers lack

Last edited:
Who replaces McT’s 10 goals?
Zirkzee most likely. McTominay scored 7 league goals last season. In the two seasons prior to that, he scored 1 in each. Martial also scored 1 league goal last season. I think Zirkzee will cover the loss of both players. There is also Mount, who will hopefully be more available this season.

Isn't it a pretty simplistic perspective to paint the scoring of goals only connected with the names of some players? I mean, obviously I see what the majority on here is about and I agree, the ongoing trends tell us we will continue to have problems with that, but there are teams with equal or even lesser personnel up front, who will do just fine because they found a way to function better as a unit. This is the way forward - not talking about bringing in a wonder striker like Kane or Osimhen or a great winger like Williams. We added players in all those years, but the performance levels never really changed. This is where we have to work on - not just throwing different players into the same shredder.

We still need to replace the 30 goals we lost when he got the new contract. I don't think there's a signing we can do to address that in the whole, so we've just got to get more goals out of everyone.

Hujland 20 plus
Kirkzee 10 to 13
Fernandes 8-10
Garnacho 8-10
Amad 6-8
Mainoo 3-4

Def total 10
Other players total 8-10

I can't really see my hopeful prediction/expectation of 4th or 5th coming true, purely because I just don't see it creatively or goalscoring wise with this squad, with its current tactics and gameplan. I would love to be wrong. But we've not addressed the issue enough to make me not pretty uninspired.

Can’t help but feel that once again our issue will be a lack of goals. We’ve done some fantastic work this window, but not reinforcing the attack significantly, especially out wide, will be our downfall. There’s going to be a lot of pressure on Rashford to rediscover his goal scoring form and for Garnacho & Amad to have breakout seasons. Because beyond those three, we have little to nothing on the wings.

What do we think our GD will be after 10 games in the league? 2 games in we are siting at at a solid 0 GD.

We’re going to struggle to score goals again

How many times this season will the camera pan to Nistelrooy and the commentator make a comment along the lines of “what they’d do to have that man back out there now”

Until that time when we take better care of the ball we will never create enough and hence not score enough.

Our lack of composure on the ball is worrying, and the main culprits are there week in week out but they still play

Our forward line is full of POTENTIAL!
So based on we have a forward line that is very young and are relatively new to the Premier League we POTENTIALLY have a player or two that could score 20 goals or more.

We’ll do well at home this year when we set up a bit more adventurously and put a few past some of the bottom teams. The defensive options will do wonders for our ability to sustain attacks.

It’s the away games when we tighten things up a bit that is the worry.

Our forward line is full of POTENTIAL!
So based on we have a forward line that is very young and are relatively new to the Premier League we POTENTIALLY have a player or two that could score 20 goals or more.
It’s what we’re hoping for isn’t it. At least one of Amad, Garnacho or Højlund suddenly clicking in front of goal on a regular basis

What do we think our GD will be after 10 games in the league? 2 games in we are siting at at a solid 0 GD.

Liverpool (H) -2
Southampton (A) +2
Palace (A) 0
Spurs (H) -1
Villa (A) -2
Brentford (H) +1
West Ham (A) -1
Chelsea (H) -1

So my guess is -4 after 10 matches

Never enough goals for a team that can't defend... with a dodgy GK.

Let’s look at this from a different angle
Assuming the Club must target players with. Goals and Assists especially the Attacking players;

Premier League Squad Goals Target
Defence - 4
Own Goals - 2

Midfield
Casemiro - 3
Eriksen- 1
M Ugarte - 2
K Mainoo- 5
M Mount - 4
Bruno - 12
T Collyer - 0

Attack
M Rashford - 7
A Garnaucho - 8
Amad Diallo - 7
Antony - 2
J Zirkzee - 8
R Hojlund - 10

This would be 75 Premier league goals and our best return since Fergie title wining season and 1 goal more than Ole best season. When he came second.

There will be injuries and form issues so maybe take 10 from that number is more realistic 65?

Liverpool (H) -2
Southampton (A) +2
Palace (A) 0
Spurs (H) -1
Villa (A) -2
Brentford (H) +1
West Ham (A) -1
Chelsea (H) -1

So my guess is -4 after 10 matches

Pretty demoralizing but rather likely scenario.

Hopefully the attack clicks and we finish our chances. Early signs but we are creating more chances which is an improvement from last season - but we aren’t taking them, which is the same as last season.

Team has no cutthroat scorers and it costs so many points! Goals can at least cover over cracks in a squad and win some points. But no cutting edge, just makes things worse!

Zirkzee with his 11 Serie A goals was never going to be even close to enough. The whole attack needs open heart surgery.

Team has no cutthroat scorers and it costs so many points! Goals can at least cover over cracks in a squad and win some points. But no cutting edge, just makes things worse!
It worked for Fergie. We also need to stop signing forwards from Serie A. When was the last time we signed an attacker from the French or Spanish league?