g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Diogo Dalot image 20

Diogo Dalot Portugal flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Drizzle

He didn't gift havertz the chance, his clearance header hit martial and fell into the path of havertz. That's not a mistake, unless you have a ridiculous standard of what a mistake looks like.
We'll have to disagree on that. For me that was an incredibly sloppy clearance, I was fuming with him at the time.

Overall though he played very well, especially in the second half.

GiveItToGi...nowait

I believe there is a very good fullback in Dalot, he has a good engine, is tenacious, technical and coachable. Last season before his injury (just before December?) he was on a great run of form and he had really improved his back post defending which made him first choice over AWB. I hope he can stay injury free and get a good run at lb because I think he is more aggressive at closing down opposition wingbacks vs Shaw, who either isn't as aggressive or fatigues in the latter stages.

TempusFugit

Dalot worries me..... not because he's a bad player but because he should have everything it takes to become a very good fullback for us. But it's just not clicking. He's quick, strong and agile and very good aerially. Add in the fact that he's comfortable with both feet, a good dribbler/ball carrier and decent when attacking.

I think he loses focus too easily leading to mistakes that keep him out of the team for a while. Alot of the RBs we'll potentially go out to get are not as well rounded as Dalot. He's 24 now, he has to put it all together and fulfill the potential Jose spoke about.

Hughes35

Dalot worries me..... not because he's a bad player but because he should have everything it takes to become a very good fullback for us. But it's just not clicking. He's quick, strong and agile and very good aerially. Add in the fact that he's comfortable with both feet, a good dribbler/ball carrier and decent when attacking.

I think he loses focus too easily leading to mistakes that keep him out of the team for a while. Alot of the RBs we'll potentially go out to get are not as well rounded as Dalot. He's 24 now, he has to put it all together and fulfill the potential Jose spoke about.
Odd timing for this post when he was absolutely excellent yesterday.

TempusFugit

Odd timing for this post when he was absolutely excellent yesterday.
Exactly. With all the attributes he has he should be performing like this more often than not. He has a very high ceiling but he's very inconsistent.

Idxomer

I disagree with the consensus that he was excellent. He was very good defensively, but that's not everything.

His passing was terrible, he didn't help progress the ball and offered nothing in attack. We need more from the fullbacks on the ball while Shaw is out.

Born2Lose

I disagree with the consensus that he was excellent. He was very good defensively, but that's not everything.

His passing was terrible, he didn't help progress the ball and offered nothing in attack. We need more from the fullbacks on the ball while Shaw is out.
It's a huge part of it when you have a guy as lazy defensively as Rashford ahead of you.

RuudTom83

Well done Dalot! not sure if it was Reguilon's arrival or something else that made him switch on...but he handled Saka better than most.

Great performance.

IRN-BRUno

Surprisingly good yesterday, dealt with Saka far better than Shaw has previously.

Reiver

I thought he did really well yesterday, better than Shaw in his last game. Rashford did also do a better defensive job in front of him though.

Chairman Steve

Yesterday was last season pre-World Cup Dalot. If he maintains that level of consistency he is a very valuable asset to the squad. To be both competent at left back and right back and pull out performances like that, that’s a gem of a player to have.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Not sure why we needed to get Reguilon when Dalot can play LB till the other two get back --- unless their injuries are a lot more serious than reported?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Great game but why did he went for the diving tackle for 3rd goal ?. Jesus was on left foot and the angle was tight and Onana was already positioned nicely.

Again, I didn't watch the replay so may be I am over simplifying things.

Red-17

Not sure why we needed to get Reguilon when Dalot can play LB till the other two get back --- unless their injuries are a lot more serious than reported?
Because we currently do not have another fullback right or left. Unless you are okay with those two playing every minute until Malacia returns? One more injury and we have god knows who playing fullback. At the moment we are already on our 4th and 5th choice center backs so we can't even rely on moving a CB over to cover (nor should we). Shaw is out for months and it's been reported that Malacia is potentially out for a while as well. He hasn't done any pre-season either so when he returns to training he is not going to be up to match fitness for a while anyway.

Idxomer

Should have played right wing with AWB behind him, would've been much more useful than McTominay.

Sylar

He did well V mitoma. Thought he had a good first half especially

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'll add to the chorus saying he dealt well with Mitoma. In fact given how easily the right hand of our diamond was bypassed, he did pretty well full stop.

Oranges038

2 goals came from his side, lazy arse defending. He is such a nothing player, can't stand watching him, offers nothing in attack and lacks the defensive nous to deal with simple situations like the two that led to the goals.

Both times he just stood there 5 yards away and let them roll the ball inside, they are both right footed you gobshite, show them onto their left at least.

led_scholes

2 goals came from his side, lazy arse defending. He is such a nothing player, can't stand watching him, offers nothing in attack and lacks the defensive nous to deal with simple situations like the two that led to the goals.

Both times he just stood there 5 yards away and let them roll the ball inside, they are both right footed you gobshite, show them onto their left at least.
He had no support the whole game. When you are 2 vs 1 with the attackers you can go aggressive on them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He had no support the whole game. When you are 2 vs 1 with the attackers you can go aggressive on them.
That third goal was atrocious for him, literally refused to actually go out to close down Lamptey and ran back on his arse trying to mark the same player as his center back. It was very very poor.

The Substitute

I've watched that third goal many many times now, I can't understand why thats Dalots error, please explain.

Martinez does not cover the attacker and Dalots cannot simply move until he is covered.

And if its someone to blame here it's Martinez and Bruno. Bruno is just awful lazy when tracking back at the goal. And you blame Dalot? Ridiculous

Oranges038

2nd goal he had McT right there, neither of them did anything to affect the situation.

3rd goal he goes out way too late to close Lamptey.

Neither were really 2v1 situations.

Ekeke

I've watched that third goal many many times now, I can't understand why thats Dalots error, please explain.

Martinez does not cover the attacker and Dalots cannot simply move until he is covered.

And if its someone to blame here it's Martinez and Bruno. Bruno is just awful lazy when tracking back at the goal. And you blame Dalot? Ridiculous
First its McTom's mistake. He stands there pointing out to the right suggesting Dalot needs to go out there, but if hes concentrating he can cut out the pass to the player.

Dalot looks at it but he has an attacker marked and there is no CB close to take over. If he goes towards the man on the wing there is no pressure on the ball immediately so the pass in behind him to his current player is on and again, Lisandro the closest CB is not close enough to take over. So Dalot stays with his man while Lamptey eats up the space on Brighton's left wing with the ball. Dalot confronts Lamptey when he gets to the box, who uses that moment to pass the ball. Lindelof is running back from behind caught up the pitch and isnt alert to the pull back he's just trying to stay with the runs forward of the Brighton players. Lisandro is the only CB then in position to be facing forward and seeing the pass and Pedro in space to receive it. Lisandro doesnt move much to put pressure on him, possibly because he got caught out committing too easily for Gross' goal a little earlier. So now he gives too much space and Pedro can get his shot away

Irwin99

Didn't watch yesterday's game but heard the manager praised his performance again which is good to hear. I'm still not sure he'll ever be the level you need from a right-back in a title winning team but people saying EtH hasn't improved players aren't taking Dalot into account. His performances in the first half of last season were very good until AWB really rediscovered some form and replaced him.

Ekeke

2nd goal he had McT right there, neither of them did anything to affect the situation.

3rd goal he goes out way too late to close Lamptey.

Neither were really 2v1 situations.
2nd goal he did indeed have McTom's support. However Casemiro and McTom allowed the ball to pass between the 2 of them confronting Lamptey and finding Gross. In this situation yes Dalot is there but as soon as McTom runs out to take over with Mitoma receiving the pass, now Dalot is in a defensive position with 2 midfielders encroaching on his position and they should be able to deal with it between them. Its probably not the right play to be charging out past 2 DMs on the edge of the box. Thats their area and with 2 of them there it should be defended.

Oranges038

2nd goal he did indeed have McTom's support. However Casemiro and McTom allowed the ball to pass between the 2 of them confronting Lamptey and finding Gross. In this situation yes Dalot is there but as soon as McTom runs out to take over with Mitoma receiving the pass, now Dalot is in a defensive position with 2 midfielders encroaching on his position and they should be able to deal with it between them. Its probably not the right play to be charging out past 2 DMs on the edge of the box. Thats their area and with 2 of them there it should be defended.
2 goal - Dalot should be going to Mitoma and McT picks up Lamptey, while Casemiro waits to pick him up if he comes inside. Instead McT has to closer to Mitoma because Dalot doesn't want to go within 5 yards of him for some reason, that leaves Lamptey free. Then Casemiro has to try and make that ball played to Lamptey, but he was never getting there. The knock on effect of him not engaging with the winger.

3rd goal, he has cover behind in Martinez, who should pick that runner when Dalot goes to close the ball. I think, he should be out there earlier to engage, slow him down and show him down the line or back. He does nothing, he just runs back to the box and lets him have a free run all the way to the 18 yard line, where he rolls an easy ball inside for a goal.

Both goals, yeah the midfield needs to track runners, but he needs to do better.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Don't blame him, really. And I'm one of the people who think renewing with Dalot was a waste of money and time for both parties.

This is how textbook defending is done in those situations: the back four must be very well positioned and move like a block at all times to avoid gaps. If he had gone to Mitoma there would be a hole opened between the RB and CB that would be easily exploited by a forward run made by the opposition players.

The main problem is that the other 3 defenders shifted away from Dalot and he realized that and tried to close the space in the middle (which is correct).
McT took a second to realise it since he was not seeing what was happening because it was on his back.

IMHO, the other 3 defenders should had shifted into Dalot's direction it would be the logical thing to do in that situation, and Dalot would handle Mitoma while McT positioned himself between Dalot and the CBs to prevent forward runs, but with the same cost of leaving space in the entry of the penalty box.

This situation would be easy to avoid if our left winger was helping covering the zone, but it was a quick transition.

Last edited:
Bayern Munich 4:3 Man Utd

Irwin99

Might have done better on the second goal but thought he did pretty well overall. Got a few tackles/blocks in and worked hard.

Idxomer

I think he's a fraud personally and can't pass the ball accurately to save his life.