De Gea - Fiorentina watch

Good for him. Not a bad city to live in as well!

Have a random soft spot for them. Probably due to Batistuta

Good luck Dave! I reckon a club will try to sign him in 12 months once he shows he still has it

Quite the step down but at least he's found a club. Sadly Fiorentina are about to lose their best player Nicolas Gonzalez to Juventus so I suspect they'll drop to mid table (10th) or lower. Might be a tough season for him

Last edited:
Are they in Europe this season? Genuinely hope and expect (like 30%) for him to be the GK of the season in the Serie A.

Quite the step down but at least he's found a club. Sadly Fiorentina are about to lose their best player Nicolas Gonzalez to Juventus so I suspect they'll drop to mid table (10th) or lower. Might be a tough season for him

Not really a step down from impending retirement. Gets to live in Florence and experience his third top European League. It would have been sad to see him retire so early.

Of course, hope he does well, I hope he excels there. But yes, a relatively average side. Thankfully for him Raffaele Palladino is not wedded to a particular system, so I do not suspect they'll be playing out from the back by default.

Has there been any explanation as go why he's had a year out?

Any mad conspiracy theories knocking about like he was actually serving a drug ban?

Genuinely happy for him. In hindsight, I would have kept him rather than spending 45m on this keeper. Hope he enjoys his career in Florence.

Good to see he didn't choose retirement. Could see him back at a top club again, if things go well. Strange that he sat out a whole year though.

I guess that after a year without football, it wasnt realistic to expect he would play for Fiorentina today. On the bench for 90 minutes according to Livescore.

Looks like a goalkeeper called Pietro Terracciano played the game. Is he any good or will de Gea take his spot soon?

After a year out those reflexes would be slower. He will get better as the season goes

First one was a penalty so not his fault and hard to do anything for that but surprisingly he was actually pretty close to saving it!

Second goal oof. Decently hit strike but middle of the goal and near his feet, where he should have went with his hands. We've seen that a few times before.

First one was a penalty so not his fault and hard to do anything for that but surprisingly he was actually pretty close to saving it!

Second goal oof. Decently hit strike but middle of the goal and near his feet, where he should have went with his hands. We've seen that a few times before.

These pricks on Twitter make me sick. He was a fantastic goalkeeper for years, yet these arseholes can’t wait to stick the boot in. Apparently a United fan as well.

I'm glad he's gone but want him to do well. The first one was a good attempt but a really good penalty.

I'm interested to see how he does through the season (not just one game)

Plenty on here loved to blame him for not saving penalties. Second one, he should probably go with his foot. See goals like that go in all the time.

First game back in well over a year, could take him a few games to get back into the swing of things in terms of timing and all that.

These pricks on Twitter make me sick. He was a fantastic goalkeeper for years, yet these arseholes can’t wait to stick the boot in. Apparently a United fan as well.

There are also United fans who love to stick the boot in Onana. If Onana would let in that second goal, there will be 3 pages of posts on just this website about how Onana is not a even a real goalkeeper because he is fat and slow to the ground.

I like de Gea, i hope he can have a nice end to his career but maybe (hopefully) clips like that are a bit of an eye opener to the crowd that still arent ready to admit the fact that Onana is a better keeper than current de Gea

Penalty needed to be perfectly placed to not be saved. Second goal was poor but not ridiculously poor. Regardless, not the start he’d prefer even with all things considered. Those Italian fans will not show the patience that he got at United. I think he’ll get better though as he gets accustomed to playing more frequently again.

Third goal. Oof again. Not great marking/defending but a corner that is headed in from the 6 yard box. Once again, something we've seen here many times before.

They came back from 0-2 down to lead 3-2 and then conceded this last minute equaliser.

Third goal. Oof again. Not great marking/defending but a corner that is headed in from the 6 yard box. Once again, something we've seen here many times before.

They came back from 2-0 down to lead 3-2 and then conceded this last minute equaliser.

That's it Dave, stay stuck to that goal line. A few camera saves will fix it though.

That third one is what used to infuriate me. He should be taking charge of his 6 yard box.

Wouldn’t blame him for any of those goals. The corner was into the six yard box but had a lot of whip and was almost too low for him to get out to it ahead of anyone else.

Having been desperate to get rid of him for years I’m going to end up constantly trying to defend him if people keep sharing tweets from bell-ends desperate for him to play badly.

Wouldn’t blame him for any of those goals. The corner was into the six yard box but had a lot of whip and was almost too low for him to get out to it ahead of anyone else.

Having been desperate to get rid of him for years I’m going to end up constantly trying to defend him if people keep sharing tweets from bell-ends desperate for him to play badly.

Exactly. Some of the posts are just nonsense, they think any ball into 6 yard box should be dealt by keeper without considering the pace and trajectory of the delivery.

Exactly. Some of the posts are just nonsense, they think any ball into 6 yard box should be dealt by keeper without considering the pace and trajectory of the delivery.

Yeah quite, maybe the defence shouldn't be allowing free headers in their 6 yard box. Any keeper in the world is essentially helpless at that point. It's a great whipped ball which would have been very difficult to come out for.