Day 3: England vs Croatia | Austria vs North Macedonia | Netherlands vs Ukraine

Holland is such a brilliant watch, they just need a couple of superstars to become a force again… think of a creative midfielder and a proven striker.

Netherlands well coached team, but Ukraine are all over the place.

Netherlands playing a bit like United wish to play with advanced fullbacks and centre backs playmaking.

Too many national sides just seem to have big useless lumps up top. I know it’s a tried and tested formula but come on…
Soccer-Legends-Angelos-Charisteas.jpg

Some matches leave you nonplussed at how the feck it's 0-0.

This is one of them.

Did you listen to Mark Lawrenson at the Russian World Cup. He sounded like he would rather be at home digging the garden.

I don't really recall but I've no time for him so I probably would have switched to whatever channel he wasn't on.

I was also on holidays down in Wexford for the knock-out games so didn't hear much of the commentary in the pub.

Ukraine look good going forward, the Dutch are giving them a lot of space through the middle. Should probably be 1-0 for the Netherlands at this point though.

There's some lovely silky touches from these Ukrainians. Good flow to the game.

Not sure if dead link or on my side — not working.

There’s still some big names but yeah, the current best no.9’s in world football still heavily leans on previous generations. The current one is lacking a bit of sauce.
ah shite, it's the greek god himself, Angelos Charisteas.

It’s sad to watch the Netherlands with such a proud history of strikers come to a tournament so toothless up front.

You say surprisingly, can I take you haven't watched him since he left United?

You cannot pretend more than 1 out of 10 fans, from any country, follow non-domestic football in a regular manner, though. Depay matured a lot and morphed into a good international-level forward suited to any of the front roles in the 4-2-3-1. He is clearly not Cavani level, even this past-his-prime Cavani at 34, which most of United fans downplayed as well, knowing nothing of him.

The director must have loved that goal, he got to use every single camera angle.