Day 13 | Slovakia vs Romania + Ukraine vs Belgium | Czech Republic vs Turkey + Georgia vs Portugal

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
They've been knocked out of another World Cup in the group stage since then, and even this German side were a stoppage time equaliser from losing to Switzerland and finishing second in their group.

As I said, they've also recently played 6 games in a group containing Italy, Hungary and England in the Nations League and won just one of them, ending up 3rd.

Since September, they've been beaten 4-1 by Japan, drawn 2-2 with Mexico, lost 3-2 to Turkey and 2-0 to Austria, and right before the Euros they drew 0-0 with Ukraine and only managed to beat Greece 2-1.

How else do you propose we rank Germany if not by their most recent (often disappointing) results?
The point I'm making is that rankings are rankings but not a measure that is super accurate.

There's so much more that can affect things, home advantage, a key player, a key injury etc.

Germany nearly lost to Swiss but the match was pretty much one way traffic apart from a few counters. They won their other two games easily, as they should.

I don't follow international games much but maybe a few players have entered the squad and they look infinitely better than the one that got knocked out of the group stage of the previous world cup.

Belgium is another one. They are high up due to their golden generation, with hazard. He's gone now and they look awful. Don't think they should even be in the top 10 but they're 3rd.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
The point I'm making is that rankings are rankings but not a measure that is super accurate.

There's so much more that can affect things, home advantage, a key player, a key injury etc.

Germany nearly lost to Swiss but the match was pretty much one way traffic apart from a few counters. They won their other two games easily, as they should.

I don't follow international games much but maybe a few players have entered the squad and they look infinitely better than the one that got knocked out of the group stage of the previous world cup.

Belgium is another one. They are high up due to their golden generation, with hazard. He's gone now and they look awful. Don't think they should even be in the top 10 but they're 3rd.
You started this whole thing by insinuating that Georgia were a noticeably better side than Slovenia.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Where did I say that?
None of those had the gulf that England had over the mighty Slovenia.

Like I know there was luck to go around but when you see that England have had this luck for 3 tournaments now, you have to surely want them to seize the opportunity, not play like the way they are.
Very much seems to suggest that England's group was particularly easy because it had Slovenia in it.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Very much seems to suggest that England's group was particularly easy because it had Slovenia in it.
Maybe you misunderstood.

The poster was talking about Czech, Turkey and Georgia. These teams are not that far apart in the rankings.

He also mentioned Scotland and Switzerland, who are only about 20 places apart?

The Germany group has Scotland and Hungary, there lowest ranked teams (somewhere in the 30s) and Germany the highest (16th). The gap, based on rankings, isn't that big.

England are 52 spots above Slovenia.

I never said Slovenia are worse than Georgia, although Georgia seem to have a bit more about them when using the eye test.

With that said, i don't really care about rankings, just pointing out that England have been lucky to top the group.

My ultimate point (last time I'll say this) is that England were very fortunate to have topped that group. They failed to beat a team they should be FAR superior to and had to rely on Denmark not being Serbia, which nearly happened.

Portugal losing to Georgia is not comparable as they were guaranteed top spot by then.

Germany draw against Switzerland is not comparable as THEY got the goal THEY needed to stop Switzerland finishing above them (I bet they wish they hadn't now though :lol: )

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Maybe you misunderstood.

The poster was talking about Czech, Turkey and Georgia. These teams are not that far apart in the rankings.

He also mentioned Scotland and Switzerland, who are only about 20 places apart?

The Germany group has Scotland and Hungary, there lowest ranked teams (somewhere in the 30s) and Germany the highest (16th). The gap, based on rankings, isn't that big.

England are 52 spots above Slovenia.

I never said Slovenia are worse than Georgia, although Georgia seem to have a bit more about them when using the eye test.

With that said, i don't really care about rankings, just pointing out that England have been lucky to top the group.

My ultimate point (last time I'll say this) is that England were very fortunate to have topped that group. They failed to beat a team they should be FAR superior to and had to rely on Denmark not being Serbia, which nearly happened.

Portugal losing to Georgia is not comparable as they were guaranteed top spot by then.

Germany draw against Switzerland is not comparable as THEY got the goal THEY needed to stop Switzerland finishing above them (I bet they wish they hadn't now though :lol: )
Definitely completely misunderstood you then, sorry :lol:

England were fortunate in both of their opening games, and were essentially fortunate going into the final game that results in the other groups had a) qualified them and b) meant a draw was enough for Slovenia to qualify, and that's before we get to the ramifications of there being a winner in Denmark/Serbia.

God knows what would have happened if Slovenia had needed a win.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Definitely completely misunderstood you then, sorry :lol:

England were fortunate in both of their opening games, and were essentially fortunate going into the final game that results in the other groups had a) qualified them and b) meant a draw was enough for Slovenia to qualify, and that's before we get to the ramifications of there being a winner in Denmark/Serbia.

God knows what would have happened if Slovenia had needed a win.
No worries.

That's the beauty of tournaments. Everyone had the knockouts all sussed out and the football gods said "oh, you forgot about us?" :lol: