5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he did well tbh. If this experiment works then LVG deserves a lot of credit.
When Caf decides something (like Blind being shit at CB even before he played there) facts won't matter and opinions won't change.

Caf would have refused Baresi, Ayala, Cannavaro and Moore cause they were too short.

When Caf decides something (like Blind being shit at CB even before he played there) facts won't matter and opinions won't change.

Caf would have refused Baresi, Ayala, Cannavaro and Moore cause they were too short.

Come off of it all of those guys spent most of their careers at CB and had the quickness, aerial ability and strength to make up for their lack of height. This is probably a non issue since Blind is probably just a placeholder until Rojo is fit to play and with Jones suffering from illness it is not like we have any other options. But, it is silly to just ignore that Blind just does not look like a suitable CB. He has none of the important physical qualities you would look for in a CB. Really find me a top CB who isn't quick, who isn't strong and is not effective in the air? Most top CBs have at least two of those qualities. Best case Blind can be as good of a CB as Carrick or Busquets.

Come off of it all of those guys spent most of their careers at CB and had the quickness, aerial ability and strength to make up for their lack of height. This is probably a non issue since Blind is probably just a placeholder until Rojo is fit to play and with Jones suffering from illness it is not like we have any other options. But, it is silly to just ignore that Blind just does not look like a suitable CB. He has none of the important physical qualities you would look for in a CB. Really find me a top CB who isn't quick, who isn't strong and is not effective in the air? Most top CBs have at least two of those qualities. Best case Blind can be as good of a CB as Carrick or Busquets.

Even if he is a place holder; lets say the guy makes no mistakes for 5 games. Then rojo comes in and leakes goals; would you play rojo or blind?

Furthermore how can you call blind not quick? You do realise he played at LB for us and wasnt quick for us for a LB but as a CB he is effing rapid compared to most.

Hes not doing anything wrong, I say keep him there until then.
Wouldn't that be dangerous? Unless we are forced, should we play a player in an unnatural position.
I know that he played in a 3 man defense for Netherlands, but it is not the same.

Wouldn't that be dangerous? Unless we are forced, should we play a player in an unnatural position.
I know that he played in a 3 man defense for Netherlands, but it is not the same.

Why not? Did you not see carrick dropping in as the central CB inbetween blind & smalling whenever they spread out wider? The 352 isn't gone, its just one of either the attacking or defending scenarios derived from tge 433.

Like someone said, opinions have been formed and they will stay that way. Unless you are a big facker, you cant be a PL defender apparently.
That is half the problem with football fans, for some once an opinion is formed in their heads it's very hard to change it. I saw nothing wrong with Blinds display on Saturday, likewise I saw nothing wrong with the teams performance given the opposition and the fact we had to bed in 5 players.
I think some fans see what they want to see as a way of justify their criticisims of a certain player or team performances.
It really is bizarre.

Why not? Did you not see carrick dropping in as the central CB inbetween blind & smalling whenever they spread out wider? The 352 isn't gone, its just one of either the attacking or defending scenarios derived from tge 433.
this is last season with a designated holding midfielder. if anything, it's actually the reverse that sometimes is happening, where Blind pushes forward as a holding midfielder with Darmian, Shaw, and Smalling narrowing the back line

this is last season with a designated holding midfielder. if anything, it's actually the reverse that sometimes is happening, where Blind pushes forward as a holding midfielder with Darmian, Shaw, and Smalling narrowing the back line

That could be true but i rekon that this is unplanned. Blind is so comfortable on the ball as a CB he actually dribbled out of defence in to midfield. This made it look like smalling was the only defender playing centrally.

I could see it working but that is going back years to the roots of total football and i think a tactic that is ultimately flawed.

I did see however, smalling and blind playing so distant from each other in horizontal terms that they were using the CDM in carrick as a pivot, pretty much the 3 at the back.

That could be true but i rekon that this is unplanned. Blind is so comfortable on the ball as a CB he actually dribbled out of defence in to midfield. This made it look like smalling was the only defender playing centrally.

I could see it working but that is going back years to the roots of total football and i think a tactic that is ultimately flawed.
wasn't it the system that made the brand of Ajax 90s?

DM (Carrick) dropping between the two CBs isn't anything new or groundbreaking. I'd say it's one of the most common tactical trends in football during last 5 or 10 years. It's purposedly done by possession-seeking teams to make their form as wide as possible when on ball.

Blind is good enough CB if and only if we have enough possession (our midfield doesn't get eaten alive) and our high pressing works well so that our CB don't have to face our own goal too often.

He did fine on Saturday but Spurs were a bit of shambles offensively and he wasn't tested to an extent you would have expected him to be. Obviously it has nothing to do with him and he did nothing wrong but that game will hardly serve as evidence that he can play there. Alan Smith once had a midfield masterpiece against Chelsea.

No way man. The pre-season was all about getting players used to playing in their new/unusual positions. I'm sure van gaal considers smalling as his number 1 defender and as such played jones as much as he could to build his fitness.

The same goes for mata playing at RW, januzaj as a striker, Rooney as our only legitimate centre forward etc. These players needed much more of a pre-season than smalling did in his natural position.

that doesn't fit though.

it seems very unlikely when you play a couple of friendlies right before the first game, and 10 of them start v Tottenham, that Jones as the 11th man wasn't going to start.
I guess we'll never know.

He did fine on Saturday but Spurs were a bit of shambles offensively and he wasn't tested to an extent you would have expected him to be. Obviously it has nothing to do with him and he did nothing wrong but that game will hardly serve as evidence that he can play there. Alan Smith once had a midfield masterpiece against Chelsea.

There's far poorer offences than Spurs though. They do have Kane and Eriksen. a Better combo than at least 10-12 teams can field.

However, he really can't be thinking Blind is anything more than a mere stopgap, either for Rojo to fit in, or someone being signed.

that doesn't fit though.

it seems very unlikely when you play a couple of friendlies right before the first game, and 10 of them start v Tottenham, that Jones as the 11th man wasn't going to start.
I guess we'll never know.

Didn't Jackson write that Smalling would start even before Jones was ruled out? LvG also started Romero which wasn't expected, he had no minutes compared to Johnstone who did pretty well in preseason. It's true we'll likely never know but I think Smalling would've started anyways. Carrick and Rooney also started in the 'first team', to ensure our second team also had a captain Smalling might've played with them instead, giving Jones a chance to prove himself over Mike. That's my guess anyways.

Didn't Jackson write that Smalling would start even before Jones was ruled out? LvG also started Romero which wasn't expected, he had no minutes compared to Johnstone who did pretty well in preseason. It's true we'll likely never know but I think Smalling would've started anyways. Carrick and Rooney also started in the 'first team', to ensure our second team also had a captain Smalling might've played with them instead, giving Jones a chance to prove himself over Mike. That's my guess anyways.

Van Gaal said after the PSG game that the right side of defense is an issue. This is the same game where Phil committed a yellow card worthy offense every minute he was on the pitch and only managed to avoid a booking because it was a friendly. I think that sealed the deal for him.

Aston Villa 0:1 Man Utd
The opposite of Smalling, been nice on the ball but drifts out of position too often.

Agree with Neville. Brilliant tonight for me. Comfortable MOTM

Deserved MoTM, almost faultless today, seems to be the only player out there that's passing has been on song.

Maybe the old Dutch bastard knows what he's going?

Having someone like Blind at the back makes all the difference between not losing the ball under pressure...... how many more chances would we have conceded had we played with two CB's who aren't comfortable passing?

Brilliant performance.

Exceptional performance. Gets a 9/10 for me.

So much for LVG not knowing shit by playing him CB ay.

He has done surprisingly well at the back in these 2 games. I didn't see this coming, good to see he proved me wrong.

So I guess apologies are in order from the caf then? 2 pretty much impeccable games from him. Long may it continue.

Excellent performance. Never really looked in trouble defensively.

Good performance yet again but I'd still prefer a better centre back than him in our back four. He's shown he's a capable backup though.

He was good in pre-season, good last week, better tonight.

Both him and Romero barely had to do anything really. Smalling was being the more proactive partner.

He's making us all look like chumps with these good performances in a position we all said he would be a total bomb scare in. feck this guy.

For once I'm not in the wrong side, I haven't complained about his new position.

Status
Not open for further replies.