Cristiano Ronaldo - performances 2017/18

The goal with his knees was absolutely jammy, he was poor for most of the game, real had a very hammy result even Madrid fans would admit but who cares they got the result they needed

If only Manchester United had players that could get "jammy" goals by sheer determination like Ronaldo has, maybe we wouldn't be so dire to watch?

Ronaldo made that second goal if you watch his run leading up to the goal.

The penalty was great, the second goal was very very lucky, ronaldo was in the right place at the right time but I thought he was quite poor today and screwed up so many chances for Real.

Unfortunately, you don’t have a clue as that goal was 100% skill.

99/100 people can’t react to that as it’s too short of a time frame to do anything other than let the ball ricochet off you. Ronaldo in that brief moment was able to analyze the scenario, adjust accordingly, and put a knee to the ball to direct it into the net. Majority of people can’t process the game at that speed and would helplessly just let the ball hit them and miss the goal altogether let alone score.

Wow he was really amazing 10/10 performance. Should get the Puskas Award for the 2nd goal.

CR fans really believe that stuff? Most delusional group of people on the planet. No point arguing with them.

Last edited:
I really expected him to convert that peach of a ball from Marcelo in the first half, and the chance where PSG lost the ball to him off all people in their box. The decline is clearly visible, but what a player he is, he actually meant to score that second goal. Love him.

Unfortunately, you don’t have a clue as that goal was 100% skill.

99/100 people can’t react to that as it’s too short of a time frame to do anything other than let the ball ricochet off you. Ronaldo in that brief moment was able to analyze the scenario, adjust accordingly, and put a knee to the ball to direct it into the net. Majority of people can’t process the game at that speed and would helplessly just let the ball hit them and miss the goal altogether let alone score.

It’s true. I’ve watched a video many years back showing Ronaldo can actually score in complete darkness. It was pure footballing instinct/reflex/skill to be able to score such goal.

It’s abit similar to the 3rd one in the video, in the way there’s only less than split of second clue for him to analysis and picture the whole situation and score (with any parts of his body).

Last edited:
Wow he was really amazing 10/10 performance. Should get the Puskas Award for the 2nd goal.

CR fans really believe that stuff? Most delusional group of people on the planet. No point arguing with them.

It was actually a 9/10 performance for Ronaldo based on soccernet rating (neutral source). Yeh very close indeed but not a 10/10.

It’s true. I’ve watched a video many years back showing Ronaldo can actually score in complete darkness. It was pure footballing instinct/reflex/skill to be able to score such goal.

It’s abit similar to the 3rd one in the video, in the way there’s only less than split of second clue for him to analysis and picture the whole situation and score (with any parts of his body).

Yep, I remember watching this when it was released years back and reminded me exactly of it. “Very very lucky”, not.

CR7 time and time again comes through when it matters most for either club or country. It’s one thing, on top of being the greatest goal scoring machine of all time, he’ll always have over Messi...only mentioning cause blind Messi fans are trying their best to take away from his performance today in this thread which is quite sad. Letting such homerism get in the way from appreciating greatness - the CL GOAT.

It was actually a 9/10 performance for Ronaldo based on soccernet rating (neutral source). Yeh very close indeed but not a 10/10.
lmao thanks for proving my point

if any other striker - kane or whoever -scores that the reaction would be: alright he scored again. decent - let's move on.

instead we get pages of wankery about genius positioning and a 99% reaction

everyone who disagrees is a hater or better yet a messi fan!

the desperate state of cr7 fanboys

last year he actually had great performances in the CL where you didnt have to perform mental gymnastics to recognize it

Last edited:
Yep, I remember watching this when it was released years back and reminded me exactly of it. “Very very lucky”, not.

CR7 time and time again comes through when it matters most for either club or country. It’s one thing, on top of being the greatest goal scoring machine of all time, he’ll always have over Messi...only mentioning cause blind Messi fans are trying their best to take away from his performance today in this thread which is quite sad. Letting such homerism get in the way from appreciating greatness - the CL GOAT.

You are saying as if Messi has never won any CL, never performed well or scored goals in CL, and never took his NT to finals while being the best player of the tournament.
It is okay you believe Cristiano is GOAT, but it is funny that you state something false, and than go on to call Messi fanbois blind.:lol:

I've been saying this for months and just this same week, the fact that he's only now starting to score these chances it's merely a stat, he's been doing this a lot this season, even if he only touches the ball with his knee to finish it, most of the goal comes from the way he plays with his position and the threat he represents. He gets the defenders to commit 5 fatal mistakes, Berchiche and Kimpembe not clearing well because he's around, Marquinhos doubting about helping against Ronaldo or pressuring Modric, Meunier being extra close to Ronaldo leaving Marcelo open and Marquinhos positioning badly for the cross by checking Ronaldo when he already shifts out of his cover as soon as he loses visual contact. Then comes the poacher, but he has done a lot of work without the ball prior to that.
Odd choice of words. Him scoring a jammy goal with his knee is the consequence of him being a great poacher -which he is for the very reasons you cited-, not the reason. He scores a jammy goal with his knee because he's a great poacher, he's not a great poacher because he scores a jammy goal with his knee

The only fair criticism you can give him in games like this (ignoring that he's 33 years old and obviously his game had to change) is that this wouldn't fly in other teams with worse players because they'd be unable to exploit the amount of holes he creates around him, but make no mistake, he probably wouldn't score this goal if you swap Modric, Marcelo and Isco for Darmian, Fellaini, Mkhi and Mata, but he'd still be pressing the right keys.
Again, you've got it backwards

(Somewhat. It's neither quite wrong nor quite right. He makes his teammates look better creators than they are, but also benefits from them being great creators. He'd score a lot of goals for Swansea or Palace too, but certainly not as much, and he'd have a harder time against great teams. He'd still outscore expectations)

That's his merit, that's how even being a shadow of the player he once was, he keeps turning up in important games and breaking records, Inzaghi was a good poacher, but he surely wouldn't be able to create the amount of chances he does just by doing the right thing every time. Cavani might be the only player I've seen that gets close to what he's doing.
He=Cristiano? Either way i'm not sure Cavani's better than Inzaghi was, and Cristiano is certainly better than both, quite a bit

You are saying as if Messi has never won any CL, never performed well or scored goals in CL, and never took his NT to finals while being the best player of the tournament.
It is okay you believe Cristiano is GOAT, but it is funny that you state something false, and than go on to call Messi fanbois blind.:lol:

And case in point: exhibit #5001 of insecure Messi fans.

I did not say those things about Messi nor bring it up, last I checked you did (*cough cough* insecurity *cough*). If your eyes weren’t so red and full of rage towards Ronaldo, you’d see I actually wrote he is the CL GOAT which he is. Good effort though :lol:

lmao thanks for proving my point

if any other striker - kane or whoever -scores that the reaction would be: alright he scored again. decent - let's move on.

instead we get pages of wankery about genius positioning and a 99% reaction

everyone who disagrees is a hater or better yet a messi fan!

the desperate state of cr7 fanboys

last year he actually had great performances in the CL where you didnt have to perform mental gymnastics to recognize it

If Kane score 2 crucial goals against PSG in CL knockout stages the reaction would be more or less same, with pages of wankery too (remember when he scored days ago against Juventus? The media went crazy over him)

With Ronaldo it’s true everything got magnified too, whether it’s good or bad, praise or criticism, score or fail to score.

Last edited:

I did not say those things about Messi nor bring it up, last I checked you did (*cough cough* insecurity *cough*). If your eyes weren’t so red and full of rage towards Ronaldo, you’d see I actually wrote he is the CL GOAT which he is.

firstly stop reacting like a 13 years old when called out for your hypocrisy.

as for the bold: yes my dear you did, read below, you have twice written Messi, you are indirectly saying if there is one thing Cristiano has over Messi, it is performing when it matters, implying that Messi does not perform when it matters. So yes it was you who brought Messi.

DWB7ZtBX4AAnyXb.jpg:small

:)

I did not say those things about Messi nor bring it up, last I checked you did (*cough cough* insecurity *cough*). If your eyes weren’t so red and full of rage towards Ronaldo, you’d see I actually wrote he is the CL GOAT which he is. Good effort though :lol:

Ronaldo fanboys resorting to 'CL GOAT' now :lol: The funniest part is when Madrid fans, you know, the club Ronaldo actually gave his best years don't go do overboard like people on here :nono:

Embarrassing

Balon d'or #6

Haters will hate.

Doesn't really deserve it this year, he has been below his usual best, and the league form of Real has been abysmal.

Last night he took his chances, but even yesterday he wasn't great he wasted a few chances.

Can't take anything away from Madrid though, rode out the storm and got some vital goals, but to say that deserves a Balon d'Or is awful.

Ronaldo fanboys resorting to 'CL GOAT' now :lol: The funniest part is when Madrid fans, you know, the club Ronaldo actually gave his best years don't go do overboard like people on here :nono:

Embarrassing

Yep, embarrassing. Got ‘em.

Odd choice of words. Him scoring a jammy goal with his knee is the consequence of him being a great poacher -which he is for the very reasons you cited-, not the reason. He scores a jammy goal with his knee because he's a great poacher, he's not a great poacher because he scores a jammy goal with his knee

I meant that after his pressure, spacing and all of those things, then comes the part of which I consider the quintessential mark of a poacher, being there to score.

There's a lot of players that know how to manipulate defenses and create chaos without the ball but aren't great scorers, and scorers that only know how to move inside the area, Ronaldo has both sides of the trade so after all he did before (which I consider being smart, not just a poacher) he nails PSG down with that last talent.

Again, you've got it backwards

(Somewhat. It's neither quite wrong nor quite right. He makes his teammates look better creators than they are, but also benefits from them being great creators. He'd score a lot of goals for Swansea or Palace too, but certainly not as much, and he'd have a harder time against great teams. He'd still outscore expectations)

I may have expresed myself wrong, if Defoe can score loads for small teams, then surely Ronaldo would too, not just at Real Madrid levels. I was being more concrete there, if he plays this game with mediocre midfielders vs PSG in this leg, he can do the same moves 5 times yet no one would probably take advantage of it, the relationship between him and midfielders goes bot ways of course.

He=Cristiano? Either way i'm not sure Cavani's better than Inzaghi was, and Cristiano is certainly better than both, quite a bit

First he = Inzaghi, second he = Ronaldo (pronouns thing, my bad), basically Inzaghi was great at staying or moving to be in spots to score, but Ronaldo takes that skill and brings it to the ultimate level, I can't compare Inzaghi (who I really liked) to Cavani, who has been one of my favourite players of the last decade, I wouldn't be fair.

But the player I think about most lately when watching Ronaldo off-ball movement is Jon Dahl Tomasson. Not in a direct way (Tomasson is to Ronaldo what Piatti is to Messi), but god, there was something about Tomasson that always left me wondering "how can this guy be so clutch knowing where to be", Cris has that now too (probably always had it), I think the two goals he scored vs Deportivo this month are a thing of beauty not just for the finishing, but for how him and Benzema made perfect movements to set the best chance possible together, like a choreography.

Doesn't really deserve it this year, he has been below his usual best, and the league form of Real has been abysmal.

Last night he took his chances, but even yesterday he wasn't great he wasted a few chances.

Can't take anything away from Madrid though, rode out the storm and got some vital goals, but to say that deserves a Balon d'Or is awful.

This year started 46 days ago, not in September, and this year he has 7 games and 9 goals, with Real landing only 1 point less than Barcelona since January 1. At this point no one really knows who is going to deserve anything, Paulinho could win it as far as we know.

This year started 46 days ago, not in September, and this year he has 7 games and 9 goals, with Real landing only 1 point less than Barcelona since January 1. At this point no one really knows who is going to deserve anything, Paulinho could win it as far as we know.

Isn't it usually based on the season though, not the calendar year? considering last year when he won it, he was terrible from August onwards, and even in the early months of the year he was awful.

I know the summer and the World Cup will have a big say in it too because well, if Portugal won the World Cup but Ronaldo scored 0 goals for Real (theoretically) he would win the Balon d'Or just as any "top level" player probably would, Neymar, Messi would probably get that too.

I just think his form since the start of the season has been dreadful and Real Madrids position in the league can't be ignored.

Isn't it usually based on the season though, not the calendar year? considering last year when he won it, he was terrible from August onwards, and even in the early months of the year he was awful.

I know the summer and the World Cup will have a big say in it too because well, if Portugal won the World Cup but Ronaldo scored 0 goals for Real (theoretically) he would win the Balon d'Or just as any "top level" player probably would, Neymar, Messi would probably get that too.

I just think his form since the start of the season has been dreadful and Real Madrids position in the league can't be ignored.

What really matters at the end of the day for these awards is trophies (most of the time), winning the CL is huge and in a world cup year that factors in as well. If Ronaldo wins the CL again with Real and (somehow) wins the World Cup thats a guaranteed Ballon d'or. I dont expect either of those things to happen quite frankly but I think the Ballon d'or race is wide open this year so far and will come down to who wins what trophies.

I think he wins the Ballon D'Or if he fires Madrid to the CL tbh, leading his side to three on the bounce would be a truly incredible achievement and would be his 5th CL win! He already has 11 goals in 7 CL games this season.

No, look at that chance he missed in the first half, his physical decline is very very noticeable, and at this level and for his type of player even a relatively small decline could mean the end. It's a massive credit to him that he still manages to be so good despite that, and how much it affects his game.

Of course given the level he started from he's still pretty good physically compared to most other players, but it's had a big impact on his play, which is normal. Said this before but it's really quite incredible what he's done in the last 3 seasons

Depends on what you mean by physical decline. I recall Giggs talking about getting older when he was about 33-34. He said his stamina was just as good, but his energy levels were not the same, which meant that he could not go on those runs that he used to do in his youth because he would get drained. He also explained that when he was younger, football was easier because he could just kick the ball ahead and run past the defender. Obviously, he declined, but he still had pretty good speed when he wanted to, but injuries took their toll with him. Ronaldo has not suffered the same amount of injuries. I doubt that he is as fast as he once used to be, but if you looked at some of the runs he made yesterday, especially a few defensive runs, then is faster than 90% of footballers still. He also still has that ability to stop very quickly. He's not as nimble or agile as he used to be, but I think that is somewhat due to age, but also down to him focusing more on strength than what was the case when he was in his early twenties.

I think his ability to re-invent his game is what makes him one of the great. If he had continued trying to be the same player as he was in his early twenties, he would be half the player he is. The energy levels drop when you get older, so you can't play the same way, but that doesn't mean that he is much slower, he is just wiser. After all, Gatlin won the last 100m in the Olympics at the age of 35, yet people on here act as if your physical levels drop like a stone when you reach 30.

You forgot Cruyff and Beckenbauer.

Cruyff > Ronaldo

None of those players wait in the box for tap ins
I don't think that stands anymore, to be fair. By any metric that can be evaluated objectively, Ronaldo is far ahead of Cruyff. I know that old farts say that football was better in their days, but that defies any logic.

Personally, I have Messi first or second, and Ronaldo third, although there might be debate between him and Maradona.

His UCL stats are immense. Nine in six versus Bayern!

Loving life in the Champions League

Not yet convinced by Ronaldo's Champions League majesty? These stats might persuade you:

-Ronaldo has topped the annual goalscoring charts on the most occasions in Champions League history (6).
-He is also the only player ever to score 10+ goals in six different Champions League seasons.
-Ronaldo holds the record for the most goals scored within a Champions League group stage in a single season (11 goals in 2015-16).
-He is the player with most goals scored in a single Champions League season (17 goals in 2013-14).
-Ronaldo was the first player to score in all group stage games within a single Champions League season (nine goals in 2017-18).

May as well have a team of Ronaldos?

Incredibly, according to sport statisticians Gracenote, Ronaldo has scored more Champions League goals on his own than 87% of teams to have ever played in the competition.

Including the 15 Champions League goals he scored for Manchester United before joining Real Madrid, Ronaldo has scored a total of 116 in the Champions League. That's 19 more than any other player (Messi, of course) and more than than 118 of the 137 teams that have ever appeared in the main competition.

They were Ronaldo's first two goals against Paris St-Germain for Real Madrid, in his third appearance. His most successful opposition for Real Madrid in the Champions League is surprisingly Bayern Munich (nine goals in six games).

He has scored seven against each of Borussia Dortmund, Juventus, Ajax and Schalke - the latter three at a rate of more than one a game.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43067079

being the greatest goal scoring machine of all time, he’ll always have over Messi...

Sorry to rain on your parade but Messi has 38 less goals in 151 less appearances in their careers. So how is Ronaldo even the greatest goal scorer of this generation never mind of all time (Pele) when Messi has a better goals per game ratio? That whilst Messi playing deeper for parts of it.

Personally, I have Messi first or second, and Ronaldo third, although there might be debate between him and Maradona.

Pele the other 1st or 2nd?

Sorry to rain on your parade but Messi has 38 less goals in 151 less appearances in their careers. So how is Ronaldo even the greatest goal scorer of this generation never mind of all time (Pele) when Messi has a better goals per game ratio? That whilst Messi playing deeper for parts of it.

So you’re saying Ronaldo isn’t the greatest goal scoring machine of all time? Oh, k then...

Messi playing deep? Lol. Ronaldo has scored all of his RM goals while not even playing the striker role.

Btw Messi has been playing CL with Barca before Ronaldo started playing for Madrid. As of today, Ronaldo has 4 more CL goals for Madrid than Messi does for Barcelona. Barca as a team currently scored 9 goals in the CL, Ronaldo alone has 11.

I didn't think his 2nd goal was jammy at all, you can see him move his knee to the ball

But given all that I thought his performance yesterday wasn't the best, squandered a couple of decent chances and his passing wasn't great.

Nowhere near Messi & Maradona in footballing ability but it's insane how many goals he scores when looking completely ordinary for the rest of the game. You can say that 2nd goal is luck but when it happens over and over and over, you have to credit CRonaldo's sixth sense for smelling where the ball will appear. I wouldn't really compare CR and Messi on pure goals stats seeing as it takes Messi about 5 matches to get the same amount of clear-cut chances as CR gets in one single game. Yesterday CR touched the ball 40 times total, 10 of those were finishes. 25% of his touches the whole game is a finish, never seen something like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Messi playing deep? Lol. Ronaldo has scored all of his RM goals while not even playing the striker role.
Just watch a Barca game mate. Messi almost has the sole responsibility of creating chances, usually he receives the ball with the whole opposing team between him and the goal. When CR is not in close proximity to the box, he just lays it off and waits for the rest of the team to play the ball forward. He knows it's enough to "wait" in the box and do his thing.

Definitely not a coincidence that all the bitter losers crying in their corner in here are newbies.

If Ronaldo can still be decisive in the big moments like he showed last night, then Real could go all the way again. Was good to see his his high defensive work rate last night towards the end too.

And you can subsitute ronaldo for messi and have the same debate

So you’re saying Ronaldo isn’t the greatest goal scoring machine of all time? Oh, k then...

Btw Messi has been playing CL with Barca before Ronaldo started playing for Madrid. As of today, Ronaldo has 4 more CL goals for Madrid than Messi does for Barcelona. Barca as a team currently scored 9 goals in the CL, Ronaldo alone has 11.
You could say he is if you don't bother to look back more than 20 years.

Gerd Muller
Bundesliga: 365 goals in 427 games
Europe: 66 goals in 74 games
Germany: 68 goals in 62 games (!!)

Pelé
Domestic: 619 goals in 638 games
Brazil: 77 goals in 92 games

Eusebio
733 goals in 745 games
41 in 64 for Portugal

There are more but you get the drift.

People seem to look at Ronaldo and Messi as unrivaled goal machines in football, which isn't true at all. They're just unrivaled in the last 20-30 odd years.

Including the 15 Champions League goals he scored for Manchester United before joining Real Madrid, Ronaldo has scored a total of 116 in the Champions League.

and yet there are people thinking he'll be remembered as a United legend by anyone outside of our own fans.