Coronavirus in football

Aside from anything it's else, it's unprofessional. Players have an obligation to keep themselves in playing condition. If they went too hard on the booze or ate too much over Christmas they'd be criticised. In the context of a pandemic, that attitude should extent to doing all you can to minimise the impact the virus can have on your ability to play football. If you're just ignoring medical advice and continuing to put yourself and those around you at increased risk then it should profession come with some consequences.

COVID-19 is not a football related condition - even though it may seem like it in the case of a mass breakout within a group of players/staff.

Football related injuries are very different, being directly linked to the person's profession (which is, in itself, a matter of public interest). It would create an intolerable amount of speculation if clubs refused to divulge information about football related injuries, including details about how long the player is expected to be sidelined, etc.
Let’s say for a second that Lindelofs chest problems are covid related (no idea I’m just using as an example), would you not want to know how he is after seeing him struggling to breath, and further wouldn’t you want to know how long he will be out?
i don’t think footballers are like other employees in other walks of life, we need to know what’s impacting our team

Highest wage bill in the premier league and basically Europe to pay these brain dead fecking morons. I guess this explains why they play like brainless feckwits on the pitch too.

The solution is simple, get the vaccine or start docking wages. Anyone still refusing to get the vaccine at this point without good reason is a fecking moron and quite frankly I don’t want them anywhere near United.

The solution is simple, get the vaccine or start docking wages. Anyone still refusing to get the vaccine at this point without good reason is a fecking moron and quite frankly I don’t want them anywhere near United.

Labour law might have something to say about that.

Yes, I know it's the daily mail, etc, but you can absolutely imagine the frustration between players and clubs

I don't blame them, i'd be the same. Our players are useless cnuts. I'd 100% be in support of just scrapping postponements and forcing teams to start youth players if they don't have enough first team players. Or if a team can't control an outbreak due to unvaccinated players, just hand them a defeat right there instead of postponing the game. The teams without the issues are being punished by the idiotic teams like ours who have high rates of unvaccinated players.

I guess the general rule here is: if the press say something negative about Utd, then it must be true?

The Delta variant was more transmissible and more deadly. There's evidence to suggest the spanish flu's second wave was much more potent for the same reason. And a coronavirus is not an adenovirus. If you're going to dismissively educate people about non-novel science you should probably be a bit more cautious with the scientific facts you share.

The virus might mutate to become more transmissible and less deadly, it's an entirely plausible theory, but the idea that this is just the logical evolution of all viruses involves some obvious logical missteps.

Source

Source
I understand it’s a novel coronavirus, but when talking about behaviors of a novel virus people generally look to virus’ it behaves “like”, which I understood this one to be adenovirus’, hence the reason they chose to use an adenovirus vaccine with the JandJ. I very well could be wrong, and since I was trying to make an extremely broad social statement … it doesn’t much matter.
The second wave of the Spanish Flu would have correlated to Delta, which could have been analogous to the Flu version in devastation if not for modern science. It is at least possible.
You can call them logical missteps if you want, but that won’t change the fact that I’ll be right. The turning point in all this is will be when people have accepted it as a part of daily life and cease to make it ulcer inducing with headlines every other day. Two months ago my wife was freaking out over the possibility of our vaccinated 5 year old getting covid. She had been watching too much news. Where I live there has been one covid death of a child under 16. In the same time period the flu has killed 4 children in the same age range. I do t point that out to dismiss Covid, but to say that there is a level of panic and alarm that simply isn’t appropriate. If we shut down the wheels of the world, the death toll stemming from things like poverty and desperation is likely to be higher that what covid could accomplish, especially if people are following the simple step of using the vaccinations.
my point was aimed at people like Kamala Harris saying they were taken by surprise by new variants as well. That better not be true. As you have kindly pointed out, I am far from a virus expert. But I wrote several posts like this on different sites last year predicting almost all of this… because it’s pretty obvious frankly. And now this morning they are talking about convening a”re messaging” meeting with WH advisors to tell everyone exactly what I told you last night: it will be here forever, get your shots, the goal is to keep people out of hospitals, and the most important mission is to avoid shutdowns.

Chelsea just taking the piss today. Looking to get the game postponed hours before kickoff and with a stellar team available. Glad the PL rejected their request. Total disregard for the fans yet again too - how many traveled for hours, even days and planned around this for months to go see their team and they try to call it off? Disgusting.

Chelsea just taking the piss today. Looking to get the game postponed hours before kickoff and with a stellar team available. Glad the PL rejected their request. Total disregard for the fans yet again too - how many traveled for hours, even days and planned around this for months to go see their team and they try to call it off? Disgusting.

Another reason to call for more transparency. I'm sure these decisions will lead many conspiracy theories from the different fan groups.
If the number of infected players and players being in quarantine due to being not vaccinated would be published, these fans could follow and accept these decisions whether a game is called off or not.

Currently everybody is left in the dark and the cancellations look somehow arbitrary.

I don't think it is taking the piss. What Tuchel said makes sense. With a load of positive tests in the side it's likely to pass onto other players so why not try to control that instead of playing a match where you'll have the group mixing with themselves and others?

He already had it last year - that would be his second time!

Vaccination and natural immunity from a previous infection don't provide enough protection against the Omicron variant.

That's why a 2 weeks suspension won't change anything. Omicron is so infectious that players still can catch it within their families or when doing their usual daily tasks.

Vaccination and natural immunity from a previous infection don't provide enough protection against the Omicron variant.

That's why a 2 weeks suspension won't change anything. Omicron is so infectious that players still can catch it within their families or when doing their usual daily tasks.

I do not really think it is just that. Players have again to live like they did in the early days of Covid - and the same protocols have to be in the clubs again.

I still have subscribed the Social Media accounts of Thiago and his wife and they have been on Xmas markets or in a Xmas land with their kids in the recent week. No big events - I do not want to do a blame game - but maybe still too much in this time. If you want to keep the matches running the players and their families have to show discipline again even if the majority of people does not. It might be easier in Germany where there is a lot more restrictions in the public especially there where the numbers are higher.

He already had it last year - that would be his second time!

What's the exclamation for? You can have it repeated times . I know someone who has had it two definite times and was in China around the time this all broke and reckons she actually had it from then too but didn't realise at the time - so 3 times!

Yes indeed, nothing will have changed in 10 days. The main issue here is likely that nothing will have changed next year or in those following either! So leagues need to find a way to deal with it.

You have to get on with it. People are still going on in this thread about the players being vaccinated too, when all evidence is showing it doesn't matter if you're double and boosted or not vaxxed at all with regards to testing positive or not. All the leagues in Europe are going to have this problem as the Omicron variant works its way around.

Then next year it'll be Pi or whatever variant and exactly the same issue.

Due to the quarantine rules, whether or not players are vaccinated makes a significant difference to a club's ability to fulfil their fixtures.

Indeed, the fact that Liverpool have very high levels of vaccination within their squad is probably the only reason that this evening's game with Spurs is going ahead, despite Thiago's positive test. If Liverpool's squad was largely unvaccinated, then many of the players who have been mixing with Thiago at training this week would now be isolating at home for 10 days.

If football wants to properly get to grips with this pandemic, then ensuring that all players receive the vaccine, is one of the best tools at their disposal.

I understand it’s a novel coronavirus, but when talking about behaviors of a novel virus people generally look to virus’ it behaves “like”, which I understood this one to be adenovirus’, hence the reason they chose to use an adenovirus vaccine with the JandJ. I very well could be wrong, and since I was trying to make an extremely broad social statement … it doesn’t much matter.
The second wave of the Spanish Flu would have correlated to Delta, which could have been analogous to the Flu version in devastation if not for modern science. It is at least possible.
You can call them logical missteps if you want, but that won’t change the fact that I’ll be right. The turning point in all this is will be when people have accepted it as a part of daily life and cease to make it ulcer inducing with headlines every other day. Two months ago my wife was freaking out over the possibility of our vaccinated 5 year old getting covid. She had been watching too much news. Where I live there has been one covid death of a child under 16. In the same time period the flu has killed 4 children in the same age range. I do t point that out to dismiss Covid, but to say that there is a level of panic and alarm that simply isn’t appropriate. If we shut down the wheels of the world, the death toll stemming from things like poverty and desperation is likely to be higher that what covid could accomplish, especially if people are following the simple step of using the vaccinations.
my point was aimed at people like Kamala Harris saying they were taken by surprise by new variants as well. That better not be true. As you have kindly pointed out, I am far from a virus expert. But I wrote several posts like this on different sites last year predicting almost all of this… because it’s pretty obvious frankly. And now this morning they are talking about convening a”re messaging” meeting with WH advisors to tell everyone exactly what I told you last night: it will be here forever, get your shots, the goal is to keep people out of hospitals, and the most important mission is to avoid shutdowns.

I think the level of panic is often inappropriate too. I just think you’re better making that political point rather than embellishing it with misinformation about the science. The things we’re most ignorant of are often the things that seem most obvious or simple, simply because we don’t understand the nuances. It just isn’t the case that the path you think it will follow is the only path it can follow. That’s only true in viral Facebook posts, not real life.

Yes indeed, nothing will have changed in 10 days. The main issue here is likely that nothing will have changed next year or in those following either! So leagues need to find a way to deal with it.

You have to get on with it. People are still going on in this thread about the players being vaccinated too, when all evidence is showing it doesn't matter if you're double and boosted or not vaxxed at all with regards to testing positive or not. All the leagues in Europe are going to have this problem as the Omicron variant works its way around.

Then next year it'll be Pi or whatever variant and exactly the same issue.
Right, so why don’t they get rid of this 10 day isolation rule if you test negative but are unvaccinated? That’s the main reason games are being cancelled not because of the number of actual positive Covid tests. It made sense if as in the past being unvaccinated meant you were much mote likely to catch it, but now it doesn’t seem to make much of a difference.

I am unsure of this information really exists, but is there any guess on who in our squad is unvaccinated?

I am unsure of this information really exists, but is there any guess on who in our squad is unvaccinated?

We have no idea. I am sure you could trawl through the players' social media for evidence of them getting their jab, but it's probably best not to wildly speculate.

I don’t have proof obviously because not all clubs are disclosing. But it seems quite likely that if a large percentage of players are unvaccinated that’s the reason why there aren’t enough players to make up a team. More likely than say 23 people on one team being Covid positive. Take Liverpool, 3 Covid cases game goes on. Because they’re all vaccinated. Had that been us?

All I’m saying is if there’s no longer that much difference in terms of catching it whether you’re vaccinated or not, why should unvaccinated players have to isolate for 10 days after testing negative?

obviously in an ideal world (sadly) we’d all be like Liverpool. But right now we have to deal with what we got.

I don’t have proof obviously because not all clubs are disclosing. But it seems quite likely that if a large percentage of players are unvaccinated that’s the reason why there aren’t enough players to make up a team. More likely than say 23 people on one team being Covid positive. Take Liverpool, 3 Covid cases game goes on. Because they’re all vaccinated. Had that been us?

All I’m saying is if there’s no longer that much difference in terms of catching it whether you’re vaccinated or not, why should unvaccinated players have to isolate for 10 days after testing negative?

obviously in an ideal world (sadly) we’d all be like Liverpool. But right now we have to deal with what we got.

The isolation rules aren't Premier League-specific, they are UK-wide. If you're in contact with someone who has COVID and you aren't fully vaccinated, then you are legally obligated to isolate in your home for 10 full days. I can't see the UK Government shifting those rules because a minority or Premier League players have chosen not to get vaccinated.

If fans have to prove vaccine uptake then players should have to prove they are vaccinated before they are paid. It is obscene if players are paid by fans who must be vaccinated.