Cody Gakpo

Decent debut.
Showing good intelligence and smart, tidy movements.
He used his large frame pretty well too.
Failed to connect with his teammate on several critical occasions which is kinda expected for a new player.
He doesn't have Bobby's skill but seems to have a good head just like the Brazilian.
Jury is obviously still long way out but I like player who is not braindead.

Think it's really unfair that's he'd allowed to be a winger
Where are the short people going to play if the tall ones are now also playing out wide?

I know new league and all but he's been anonymous in both games so far. At least Antony scored against ARSEnal on his debut

The slight outrage over not signing him was a bit weird considering we arguably have 3 players in his best position better than him.

He seems to be a good player but utterly unsuited to this Liverpool side. I realise this is incredibly early and he could come very good but he just doesn’t seem the right profile for Klopp’s Liverpool.

Wish he had signed for a less shit club. Or for a more shit club who are likable.

I know it’s tradition on the caf to jump on a player who doesn’t hit the ground running in the first few games but let the lad settle in to the team first :lol:

I know it’s tradition on the caf to jump on a player who doesn’t hit the ground running in the first few games but let the lad settle in to the team first :lol:
They’re like this with their own players as well. Not sure it matters who we have up top if we can’t string a few passes together.

Another game against a team who aren't Eredivisie cloggers or a third rate national side. Yet another anonymous display.

Don't remember which PSV/Holland game I said this about as he was naff in all of the ones I saw, but long may it continue to apply. :devil:

My concern if I was a Liverpool fan would be that he doesn’t look like he’s the type to fight hard when it isn’t going well.
Antony has had a mixed start at United, but I would not question his work rate or his defensive covering. Also, 4-5 goals in 12 appearances for a RW isn’t a bad return.

There’s probably a good player there but I said it during the WC that 2014 Memphis Depay looked a better player, and we all knew how that turned out for Utd.

Doesn’t seem to have any stand out physical or technical quality, at least at this level.

He'll be fine once they have a midfield again. Glad we didn't buy him though, not a position we need more players in.

I thought he was better than Salah but that's not saying much.

Its a weird signing for Liverpool when they have Salah, Diaz, Jota, Firminio and Nunez to be honest and no midfield.

Its a weird signing for Liverpool when they have Salah, Diaz, Jota, Firminio and Nunez to be honest and no midfield.
Fabinho, Thiago, Henderson is no midfield?

Feels like they just wanted to hijack the deal, like a poor man's Chelsea. :lol:

My concern if I was a Liverpool fan would be that he doesn’t look like he’s the type to fight hard when it isn’t going well.
Antony has had a mixed start at United, but I would not question his work rate or his defensive covering. Also, 4-5 goals in 12 appearances for a RW isn’t a bad return.
Main reason why I think he's not premiership material. He has all the technique, finesse and finishing required, but not the fire and intensity.

He's the anti Weghorst who has no huge weapons except his size and the fact he treats every game as if he'll be executed of he loses. Which is acty also true of Malacia. Or Denzel Dumfries.

I hope Gakpo succeeds though, very humble and friendly dude.

Haha I know what you mean, but I’m more coming at it from his general profile as a player. Doesn’t seem the right kind of guy Liverpool need or want up top rather than his general quality.

Have you seen them this season? Henderson is 32, Thiago 31 and Fabinho runs like he's in his 40's this season, their players in reserve are Keita who's a sicknote, Elliot who is nowhere near it and James Milner who turned 102 last week. Carvalho can play there but I'd put him with their attackers in terms of where his skillset lies. They are top heavy and bought a winger, its makes zero sense.

If I had
Salah, Nunez, Diaz, Firmino, Jota and Carvalho/Ox as options for up top with
Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago, Elliot, Milner and Carvalho/Ox as options for midfield I don't think I'd be spending €50m on a winger even though I'm no Klopp.

Put it another way. Average ages of midfield.

Rodri, KDB, Bernardo - 28.3 years old
Casemiro, Bruno, Eriksen - 29.3 years old (if you wanna swap bruno out for Fred like today the avereage increases slightly but not near 30).
Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago - 30.6 years old
Xhaka, Partey, Odegaard - 27.6 years old

1 year older than Uniteds, 2 than Cities, 3 than Arsenals and Liverpool are the team that rely on legs the most. When Liverpool won the league their midfield probably averaged 27 or 28 years old as do most league winners.

Have you seen them this season? Henderson is 32, Thiago 31 and Fabinho runs like he's in his 40's this season, their players in reserve are Keita who's a sicknote, Elliot who is nowhere near it and James Milner who turned 102 last week. Carvalho can play there but I'd put him with their attackers in terms of where his skillset lies. They are top heavy and bought a winger, its makes zero sense.

If I had
Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago, Elliot, Milner and Carvalho/Ox as options for midfield I don't think I'd be spending €50m on a winger even though I'm no Klopp.

Casemiro, Bruno, Eriksen - 29.3 years old

1 year older than Uniteds, 2 than Cities, 3 than Arsenals and Liverpool are the team that rely on legs the most. When Liverpool won the league their midfield probably averaged 27 or 28 years old as do most league winners.

Agree with this. strange signing given what they need. No real long term plan it seems.

Fabinho is the hardest DM out for 40m, Thiago the 40m playmaker of dreams, Keita the all action world 60m class freakin hero. Klopp can't get some juice out of these fellas he ain't worth his salt.

You get one game on the caf and if you don't bang in a hattrick your a flop. If you do you are Pele reincarnated, then when you have that bad game later, you are either a flop again if aged <=29 or finished if > 29.
That said still seems like a weird position for Liverpool to be spending money on to me.

he reminds me a lot of rashford. the version of rashford that most of us were happy with fecking off to psg.

If I had

Casemiro, Bruno, Eriksen - 29.3 years old (if you wanna swap bruno out for Fred like today the avereage increases slightly but not near 30).

Yes I also saw them a couple of seasons ago when they were poor too

They do need a new midfielder but that doesnt mean they have no midfield.

Yes I also saw them a couple of seasons ago when they were poor too

They do need a new midfielder but that doesnt mean they have no midfield.

Defensively this season its practically no midfield, they defend like City in our first Pep season where people can just get the ball and run straight through the midfield while the press is non existent cause its too slow and unagile. With the ball they are still pretty decent but without it, they have genuinely no midfield. Also Fabinho is practically a cardboard cut out.

Defensively this season its practically no midfield, they defend like City in our first Pep season where people can just get the ball and run straight through the midfield while the press is non existent cause its too slow and unagile. With the ball they are still pretty decent but without it, they have genuinely no midfield. Also Fabinho is practically a cardboard cut out.
I dont think its due to personnel, Fabinho is a top player something is going on. Even VVD has looked poor this season

I dont think its due to personnel, Fabinho is a top player something is going on. Even VVD has looked poor this season

Could be something behind the scenes for sure.

Horrible situation to join a club in and absolutely not the sort of player who'll turn it around in the time they require.

Wasn't impressed with him whatsoever when we were linked with him. I reckon this will prove to be a bullet well and truly dodged.

They miss Mane.

Gapko isn't going to scare teams back into not committing people forward so he'll probably not look his best until they sort their midfield out and can actually give him a chance.

Also I know people still rate Trent but honestly if he's not on the attack he's a complete liability. His defensive positioning/awareness is just plain unprofessional at times. I'm picking on one of a number of problems but it kind of sums up where they're at. They need to adapt how they play and they just don't seem to want to. Not sure there are all that many players out there you could sign who would fix that.

People need to stop. You're going to jinx it. It was the same way with VVD. Let's enjoy it in silence :cool: