City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

If City are as innocent as they say and have all this proof they claim to have why are they actively taking steps to prevent the case being heard instead of letting it be heard and clearing their name?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ight-against-premier-league-charges-jsnmztkmm

Their strategy so far has been to jam the courts asking to disallow evidence obtained by Der Spiegel on the grounds that it was acquired through secret channels while intensively lobbying the tories to give them a get out of jail free card. I hope they get relegated to non-league status.

Another industry that has yet to be spoken about that the City ruling with an enormous impact on is betting. How many billions have been spent/lost/paid out on games involving City? And what happens in the event that City are found guilty?

@Brophs or any other lawyery types this side of the pond.

Their strategy so far has been to jam the courts asking to disallow evidence obtained by Der Spiegel on the grounds that it was acquired through secret channels while intensively lobbying the tories to give them a get out of jail free card. I hope they get relegated to non-league status.

To me, this is is a big part of why City are going down.
The guilt was already proved but CAS let them off because of time bar.
It now doesn’t matter that the proof was illegally obtained, it is now on the record as being factual.

The only REAL obstacle is the UK Government and if they block it then they look as corrupt as they are and we might all be better off looking for something fair to watch

There would be but once you consider quality relative to other players, difficulty in signing from a top club, etc. then it's probably not worth it.
Fair point. It's just for literally every other club bar below the tier of Madrid, Barcelona, and Bayern you hear credible reports of other teams attempting to poach their players. Since the City project started I can't even think of one instance.

Everton cooperated as well, City have done anything but.They haven't handed over their accounts since 2018 apparently that on its own is serious enough to dock pts regardless of the 115 charges.

Fair point. It's just for literally every other club bar below the tier of Madrid, Barcelona, and Bayern you hear credible reports of other teams attempting to poach their players. Since the City project started I can't even think of one instance.
Bayern signed Sane from City a few years ago.

Insurmountable and indefensible evidence here and they will still walk away with a limp wristed punishment. Nothing will happen and the league is basically compromised at this point.

The only way this is cleared up along with VAR is a new league , until then as it’s run by the same people it will just be a broken husk of what it was.

Serious question: Who will decide what happens to them? The PL or the English FA? If it's the PL, who are the decision makers there? The clubs, or does the PL have a committee kind of thing?

Serious question: Who will decide what happens to them? The PL or the English FA? If it's the PL, who are the decision makers there? The clubs, or does the PL have a committee kind of thing?

1) The PL
2) The panel will recommend a punishment and the clubs will vote on it.

Isn't whoever is on the committee likely to be send either money or threats from City affiliated people?

Its not a case of getting off for City anymore. Its minimizing the damage. They need to reduce the fines from 115 to 20 or so either by grouping them together for similar ones and/or dropping some. Then they need a narrative that makes them look good. Yes we did it but its not as bad as it looks because x,y,z. It was a minor infringement but we will accept punishment. Then they will get a punishment that looks good but in reality hurts them very little. 20/30 points and 100 mill fine. Headlines say Record Punishment! City owners smoking cigars laughing. Everyone forgets in a year.

The PL probably already has an idea of what they want to do, I'd imagine there is a lot of background back and forth here that is out of their control. You're talking about an entire country, who happen to be incredibly wealthy, getting their reputation smeared worldwide if the level of punishment people expect goes through, sadly that's why many assume nothing material will happen.

Worth posting this again

The thing I still find incredible on the CAS trial is the way it works is so easy to manipulate. Each side picks one panel member (so obviously each side then guarantees 1 vote each) and therefore the 3rd member is basically the decision maker. Yet City were allowed to recommend McDougall, who literally has a client list of gov backed UAE companies, as the impartial 3rd. It's not even sophisticated corruption, they just assume no one will do anything about it.

That letter says that Redbird IMI is majorly funded by City's owner Shiekh Mansoor, isnt there a massive conflict of interest there since Redbird IMI apparently own 11% of Liverpools owners FSG?
Redbird IMI is technically separate from Redbird Capital Partners. This is one of the reasons I’m not sure you can ever really stop this kind of thing, but you can mitigate it.

While I understand the skepticism on whether city will actually be punished, citing CAS decision to fuel this doubt is completely misplaced. City were not vindicated, as they celebrated, during the CAS appeal. They won a technicality and a limitation period on newly found evidence, which they had been withholding from UEFA throughout the process. The CAS rules of procedure gave city a great escape. Thankfully those same timelines and limitations don’t apply to the premier league investigation, which is why city were using the courts to block the evidence. It didn’t work. The city hearing will take longer based on the number of charges but it doesn’t mean they’ll escape a significant and damaging punishment.

If Everton are owned by a middle eastern state then they would not be punished, that is very obvious if compared so far to Manchester City, the game has completely gone, corruption, deception, and that's before we even get to the thing called VAR, there's no integrity in football anymore and it's all becoming just one great big turn off.

That's interesting - how does that board ensure independence from the initial decision? Do you know the composition of it?

It's pure curiosity, just trying to understand the intricacies of the legal proceedings.

Well, the commission is supposedly independent (of the PL and its members). I imagine this appeal board is something similar, i.e. appointed by the PL but independent of any of its members.

Basically, one panel reviewing the ruling of another panel?

I'd imagine it will take quite a bit to overturn the initial ruling, though.

Well, the commission is supposedly independent (of the PL and its members). I imagine this appeal board is something similar, i.e. appointed by the PL but independent of any of its members.

Basically, one panel reviewing the ruling of another panel?

I'd imagine it will take quite a bit to overturn the initial ruling, though.
Makes sense - thanks :)

The thing I still find incredible on the CAS trial is the way it works is so easy to manipulate. Each side picks one panel member (so obviously each side then guarantees 1 vote each) and therefore the 3rd member is basically the decision maker. Yet City were allowed to recommend McDougall, who literally has a client list of gov backed UAE companies, as the impartial 3rd. It's not even sophisticated corruption, they just assume no one will do anything about it.
I think this why the fine for Everton is set so high - It will probably end up going to CAS for a ruling - Premier league will say X million is fair punishment...City say Zero fine is correct amount.....CAS go for a figure somewhere around the middle so long as some sort of due process has been followed.

I think this why the fine for Everton is set so high - It will probably end up going to CAS for a ruling - Premier league will say X million is fair punishment...City say Zero fine is correct amount.....CAS go for a figure somewhere around the middle so long as some sort of due process has been followed.

I was under the impression the EPL decisions are not open for a CAS appeal? Something like all clubs in the league having signed, as part of their license to operate within the EPL, an agreement that any appeal process can only be handled in-house but just with different people named in the 'panel' than on the original verdict.

I could be totally wrong but I remember reading something along those lines earlier this year when City's 115 charges were brought up by the PL.

Not sure CAS gets involved for PL only punishments

Can't go to CAS.

It can't go to CAS. Appeals go to another independent panel chosen by PL but can't go beyond that.

Just had a thought, Everton immediately getting docked points without appeal proves City can’t drag out a guilty verdict for years to avoid punishment right?

The punishment is only half the issue, more important than that is what will be done to stop them continuing in this vein

I imagine they'll get a massive ;) point deduction say 50+ but even with that there's a good chance they stay up and it'll be business as usual next season.

They need to be subject to ongoing independent audits for a prolonged period of time to ensure this is brought under control. Otherwise as many have pointed out it would've all been worth it anyway. They'd snap your hands off for 2 middling seasons in exchange for everything they've gained from this and will almost certainly return too soon enough

Just had a thought, Everton immediately getting docked points without appeal proves City can’t drag out a guilty verdict for years to avoid punishment right?

Not sure what roots Everton have to appeal but I thought pretty much whatever the Premier League decides with these independent-panel-determined punishments is final.

Also how comparable the Prem system is to like the SPL and Rangers, or Serie A and Juve.

City shouldnt just be getting points docked anyway. They need relegated or outright reset to zero in the leagues like Rangers were.

Not sure what roots Everton have to appeal but I thought pretty much whatever the Premier League decides with these independent-panel-determined punishments is final.

Also how comparable the Prem system is to like the SPL and Rangers, or Serie A and Juve.

City shouldnt just be getting points docked anyway. They need relegated or outright reset to zero in the leagues like Rangers were.

Everton's heard at a 5 day hearing in front of the members of an Independant Commission Panel that was appointed by the independent Chair of the Premier League Judicial Panel, in accordance with Premier League Rules W.19, W.20 and W.26.

If Everton appeal within the allowed ammount of time (14 days) the independent Chair of the Premier League Judicial Panel will select a new Independant commision who will setup a new Panel that will review the appeal and decide if the punishment should be reduced or changed to a fine or embargo.

Everton cooperated as well, City have done anything but.They haven't handed over their accounts since 2018 apparently that on its own is serious enough to dock pts regardless of the 115 charges.

It's an admission of guilt. You couldn't refuse a breathalyser test if you've been pulled over.

They have to be relegated.

If Everton appeal within the allowed ammount of time (14 days) the independent Chair of the Premier League Judicial Panel will select a new Independant commision who will setup a new Panel that will review the appeal and decide if the punishment should be reduced or changed to a fine or embargo.

What a farce that sounds.

Why select one independent commission if you just defer to another one after what will always be an inevitable appeal. Moronic.