Cineworld cancels film about the daughter of the Prophet Muhammad

It was cancelled due to safety of staff.

Which is inherently different to just being cancelled because the cinemas don't want to offend the protesters.

Surely if they have a right to show the film, those that are upset also have a right to protest about it?

Pathetic giving into stuff like this.

Will only make the film more popular and seen more widely though.

Which is inherently different to just being cancelled because the cinemas don't want to offend the protesters.

Surely if they have a right to show the film, those that are upset also have a right to protest about it?
That right ends when you endanger the staff.

Protesting and causing a film to be cancelled due to threats of violence are different things.

That right ends when you endanger the staff.
One side says it was peaceful protests, the other says staff were intimidated.

I guess 100 people standing in the concourse shouting at clouds is quite intimidating, but then that's why we have a police force surely.

The cinema had a choice, and it looks as if screenings are still going on.

I guess people will get offended about anything, including so called 'cancel culture'!

Protesting and causing a film to be cancelled due to threats of violence are different things.
Haven't seen any reports of threats, just a couple of videos of people standing outside cinemas saying how disgraceful it all is.

Threats are not on so if that happened then yeah that is scummy, but haven't seen anything to say that's true so far.

Based on the trailer, the film doesn't look particularly interesting, although it will probably end up with 10x more interest as a result of these protests.

Based on the trailer, the film doesn't look particularly interesting, although it will probably end up with 10x more interest as a result of these protests.
I'd guess more so your side of the pond than ours.

Not excusing anything that might have gone on at the protests, here is an example of the kind of medieval sectarian bigotry regularly espoused by the guy who wrote this film - https://www.memri.org/player/clip/12453/1/1

Probably safe to assume that the film's portrayal of the first three caliphs and Aisha is unflattering at best.

Imagine being a film maker and deciding to waste your time on being a professional troll.

The more reason why such films should be ignored rather than reacting to them with violence; it takes away the limelight from how shitty such films/art/material are.

It's not the entire religious group. I'd bet the vast majority of muslims don't give a feck and just feel embarrassed about being tarred with the same brush.

Haven't seen any reports of threats, just a couple of videos of people standing outside cinemas saying how disgraceful it all is.

Threats are not on so if that happened then yeah that is scummy, but haven't seen anything to say that's true so far.

I saw a video of one protester in birmingham saying vague stuff like "all actions have consequences and we muslims have been brought up to defend the honour of the prophet no matter what". It's worth noting that the teacher from the batley grammar school is still in hiding which is not surprising given what's happened in the past.

Not excusing anything that might have gone on at the protests, here is an example of the kind of medieval sectarian bigotry regularly espoused by the guy who wrote this film - https://www.memri.org/player/clip/12453/1/1

Probably safe to assume that the film's portrayal of the first three caliphs and Aisha is unflattering at best.
Yep. Heard it was sectarian as hell

How does a film like this end up with such a big platform anyway? There must be hundreds of indie film-makers producing stuff of far higher quality that would kill to get screened in cineworld.

Puzzled about this as well.

How does a film like this end up with such a big platform anyway? There must be hundreds of indie film-makers producing stuff of far higher quality that would kill to get screened in cineworld.

I can only assume there is some anonymous benefactor who wrote the cinema chain a large cheque to cover costs and the likely low attendances.

They were probably banking on the film doing well because of the inevitable controversy.

They were probably banking on the film doing well because of the inevitable controversy.
It’s poorly reviewed and I’ve not even heard of it before. Now it will do wonders.

It did in Norway. Got banned for blasphemy, and the Swedes advertised it as the film that is so funny that it was banned in Norway.
:lol:

That reminds me - the debate that the Church had with Cleese and Palin about it on TV where they kept telling the clergyman “but it isn’t about Jesus, it’s about Brian…”

I was actually at the cinema when the protests started (me and the missus had just watched The Bobs Burgers Movie, which was good btw!)

I got chatting to one of the guys who explained that the film was stirring sectarian tensions and creating divisions so that's why they wanted the film not to be shown. They were Sunni Muslims and the film was apparently made by Shia Muslims.

I said to him "do you not think that by protesting, you're drawing more attention to the film?" (for example, on the way home I started Googling the film, reading up on it - I never would've known the film existed if I hadn't walked out the cinema and saw a load of people protesting) and he admitted that yeah that was a risk, but he wanted to stand up for what he believed in.

But one thing that was funny is, he didn't seem to know much about the film - he asked one of his fellow protesters to remind him what it was called.

me and the missus had just watched The Bobs Burgers Movie, which was good btw!
My wife and I saw it as well and we agree.
But one thing that was funny is, he didn't seem to know much about the film - he asked one of his fellow protesters to remind him what it was called.
A very frequent occurrence with religious protests. Folks will know nothing about what they’re protesting other than that they’re against it.

I was actually at the cinema when the protests started (me and the missus had just watched The Bobs Burgers Movie, which was good btw!)

I got chatting to one of the guys who explained that the film was stirring sectarian tensions and creating divisions so that's why they wanted the film not to be shown. They were Sunni Muslims and the film was apparently made by Shia Muslims.

I said to him "do you not think that by protesting, you're drawing more attention to the film?" (for example, on the way home I started Googling the film, reading up on it - I never would've known the film existed if I hadn't walked out the cinema and saw a load of people protesting) and he admitted that yeah that was a risk, but he wanted to stand up for what he believed in.

:lol:

Sounds like a deleted scene from Four Lions.

Neither is Saudi Arabia.
Britain_Soccer_Premier_League_59511.jpg

My wife and I saw it as well and we agree.

A very frequent occurrence with religious protests. Folks will know nothing about what they’re protesting other than that they’re against it.
Not just religious protests, same goes for most protests!

I was coming here to post this.

The writer is a fringe imam from the Shia sect who has been banned from entering most Gulf Arab countries and Iran for inciting hate speech and stirring sectarian rhetoric. My brother in law is a Shia Muslim and said he’s a bad egg.

On the film itself - I’ve been told it’s inaccurate in terms of history, and quite racist (ie all the bad people / villains are played by black actors, whilst all the good characters are played by non black actors).

I mean, the name of the film is fairly irrelevant given most of the protestors are there to protest the content of the film.

They’ve by all means got the right to protest but I don’t see why the cinema should have to pull the film. If the people protesting don’t like it then don’t watch it. I thought we’d moved past this sort of thing.

They’ve by all means got the right to protest but I don’t see why the cinema should have to pull the film. If the people protesting don’t like it then don’t watch it. I thought we’d moved past this sort of thing.

What made you think we had moved on?