Chris Rigg | 16 year old midfield prodigy

very skilled young player and would fit perfectly with the profile of players they are targeting

looks a good fit with Mainoo and Ugarte

Are we actually signing him?

I saw 20 seconds of a YouTube video and he protected the ball and dribbled past two guys. I don’t want to get excited and watch the rest of the video and we don’t end up bagging him

Sure. But the hype is being generated out of a relatively small sample so thinking about the broader context of the player's career so far, including his standing in the youth national teams, is important in considering whether he's truly likely to be a massive generational prospect akin to Bellingham or just another very good young player.

I wouldn't draw strong conclusions from anything to do with his national team career but its a reason to consider pumping the breaks a bit or viewing the hype about his play in the Championship a bit more circumspectly.

You do realise "Best Young player in the Championship since Bellingham" is talking about performances in the championship and not saying he is a generational prospect akin to Bellingham. It just means he is the best young talent in the league since Bellingham which is likely a fair argument to make

In any case a single international tournament doesn't hold much weight over his league form for club, Cole Palmer hardly got off the bench in the Euros

I saw 20 seconds of a YouTube video and he protected the ball and dribbled past two guys. I don’t want to get excited and watch the rest of the video and we don’t end up bagging him
Not unless you consider reports from Talksport that we are 'ready to step up our interest' to be reason to believe we are signing him. He scored a really cute finish at the weekend so getting another bump in attention.

Hes likely on our radar but I don't think we can draw any conclusions to us signing him this early.

Don’t think the club will make any signings in the winter unless they can get Tyler Dibling or this guy and they want to try and buy them at sub £15m price maybe eve. Sub £10m so we should let the natural events take place, right now it’s hugely encouraging to see Berrada, Ashworth, Wilcox and Christopher Vivell, who I hope we keep at least for the mid term?

I like the idea of lower risk punts for young players like Rigg or Dibling. Same sort of vibe as the Sekou Kone signing in the summer. Getting a few more in like that should make our squad building more sustainable in the coming years rather than spunking the best part of £100m on players every summer.

You’re clearly not hold enough for this shit! Take it for the compliment it was intended.

It’s a Lethal weapon reference.

Oh ffs. I went to grab a link, then watched a video. Then a die hard video came on next. Then made a joke. Said the wrong damn thing. Fcuked it royally. FML.

You do realise "Best Young player in the Championship since Bellingham" is talking about performances in the championship and not saying he is a generational prospect akin to Bellingham. It just means he is the best young talent in the league since Bellingham which is likely a fair argument to make

In any case a single international tournament doesn't hold much weight over his league form for club, Cole Palmer hardly got off the bench in the Euros

Jesus, I said exactly this in the original post and then repeated it again. What are you even adding whatsoever to the conversation other than being pedantic?

Jesus, I said exactly this in the original post and then repeated it again. What are you even adding whatsoever to the conversation other than being pedantic?
Other than supporting the fact he is likely the best young player in the championship since Bellingham despite your attempt to down play him?

Realistically what would it take to get him from Sunderland?
Championship players go for a lot these days. Young English players with potential, too. I would guess you'd be talking about something like £20m+ but that would likely include ads ons.

Edit: that's also the price being talked about for Jobe Bellingham, so I reckon my guess isn't a bad one.

I imagine we have a good relationship with them given Amad.
You do ( I was on a bit when he was on loan to Sunderland telling you all how he was “ special” -and developing tremendously-really pleased for the lad he’s now doing well for you -gutted he’s gone mind !)
However we move on -Rigg is the best at his age I’ve seen in 60 years following safc ..incredible -like Bryan Robson-box to box scores goals aggressive -leader as well -not frightened of” reputation “
He will go at some point ( he’s just signed his first 3 year pro contract with us )
However despite his dad being a mag -he knows he’s better off playing in a very good albeit very young safc with his “ mates “-things can obv go wrong injuries overplaying ect -but safc nowadays manage young players well ( See Amad )
I expect a bidding war in the summer -not sure what the going rate would be but there will be loads of add ons and talk of many huge clubs around Europe including yourselves watching closely .
He’s captained England under 17s whist playing with lads from city United Chelsea ect -so even the top coaches appreciate his talent ( no disrespect to Sunderland but we were in 3rd tier until recently so he’s done amazingly well to get I that side )
We are getting a big reputation for developing youngsters -Amad -Bellingham ( who has also been top notch so far this season at 18)
Only way I see us keeping him is if we somehow get promoted
I for one am enjoying watching these youngsters develop -rather than throwing big money around and buying some for whom safc is seen as a last pay day
Keep an eye on Riggy -you won’t be disappointed -my biggest fear for the lad is he goes to a big club but isn’t played -loan back to safc possibly ?
Who knows but the lads a talent as is Bellingham and several others in our team
( can’t believe I’m saying this after how garbage we’ve been for years )
Good luck for the season -especially to Amad

Reactions: 711
You do ( I was on a bit when he was on loan to Sunderland telling you all how he was “ special” -and developing tremendously-really pleased for the lad he’s now doing well for you -gutted he’s gone mind !)
However we move on -Rigg is the best at his age I’ve seen in 60 years following safc ..incredible -like Bryan Robson-box to box scores goals aggressive -leader as well -not frightened of” reputation “
He will go at some point ( he’s just signed his first 3 year pro contract with us )
However despite his dad being a mag -he knows he’s better off playing in a very good albeit very young safc with his “ mates “-things can obv go wrong injuries overplaying ect -but safc nowadays manage young players well ( See Amad )
I expect a bidding war in the summer -not sure what the going rate would be but there will be loads of add ons and talk of many huge clubs around Europe including yourselves watching closely .
He’s captained England under 17s whist playing with lads from city United Chelsea ect -so even the top coaches appreciate his talent ( no disrespect to Sunderland but we were in 3rd tier until recently so he’s done amazingly well to get I that side )
We are getting a big reputation for developing youngsters -Amad -Bellingham ( who has also been top notch so far this season at 18)
Only way I see us keeping him is if we somehow get promoted
I for one am enjoying watching these youngsters develop -rather than throwing big money around and buying some for whom safc is seen as a last pay day
Keep an eye on Riggy -you won’t be disappointed -my biggest fear for the lad is he goes to a big club but isn’t played -loan back to safc possibly ?
Who knows but the lads a talent as is Bellingham and several others in our team
( can’t believe I’m saying this after how garbage we’ve been for years )
Good luck for the season -especially to Amad
Thanks for that. Good to get a SAFC fans perspective.

Would you like to see him at United?

As a Sunderland fan I would like him to go to whoever gives him a platform to perform and offers us the most money to re invest ( our model now is bringing through young talent and selling one or so a season -Jack Clarke being this seasons sale) and as long as it’s not to our nearest and dearest the safc fans will take that
If I were a player and Man United came in then you would have to be very interested?
Huge club to play for and would enhance things like England opportunities playing for you -the exposure he would naturally get
Also you are not far from the North East which again for a young lad may be a key factor ?-rather than abroad
As I say only way we keep Rigg is if we go up and even then I think most are currently just enjoying watching a 17 year old perform to a very high standard . Long season in the Championship mind and winter to come ! We have 3 games in next 6 days ….so might he struggle with the amount of games ?
If he does leave most will understand wish him well and realise that’s where we are as a club-who knows loan him back to us ?

certainly looked like he was playing the 10 position
Haha indeed it did, but sometimes clips can be deceptive. It looked like he had the athleticism, tackling ability etc, to play more box to box in some of those clips so I was wondering if he maybe played deeper as well, or if he is strictly a number 10.

Haha indeed it did, but sometimes clips can be deceptive. It looked like he had the athleticism, tackling ability etc, to play more box to box in some of those clips so I was wondering if he maybe played deeper as well, or if he is strictly a number 10.
just put him in our midfield, when he's ready, allow him to grow and make mistakes while learning....he's got more athleticism and ability on the ball than mount or eriksen and bruno is clearly coming to the end of his effectiveness

As a Sunderland fan I would like him to go to whoever gives him a platform to perform and offers us the most money to re invest ( our model now is bringing through young talent and selling one or so a season -Jack Clarke being this seasons sale) and as long as it’s not to our nearest and dearest the safc fans will take that
If I were a player and Man United came in then you would have to be very interested?
Huge club to play for and would enhance things like England opportunities playing for you -the exposure he would naturally get
Also you are not far from the North East which again for a young lad may be a key factor ?-rather than abroad
As I say only way we keep Rigg is if we go up and even then I think most are currently just enjoying watching a 17 year old perform to a very high standard . Long season in the Championship mind and winter to come ! We have 3 games in next 6 days ….so might he struggle with the amount of games ?
If he does leave most will understand wish him well and realise that’s where we are as a club-who knows loan him back to us ?
What kind of money do you think we are going to be talking about?

Be good to pick him up and loan him back you to you. Especially if you come up.

Huge club to play for and would enhance things like England opportunities playing for you -the exposure he would get
Also you are not far from the North East which again for a young lad may be a key factor ?-rather than abroad -we tend to be a funny bunch over here -very parochial
As I say only way we keep Rigg is if we go up and even then I think most are just enjoying watching a 17 year old perform to a very high standard . Long season in the Championship mind and winter to come ! We have 3 games in next 6 days ….
If he does leave most will understand wish him well and realise that’s where we are as a
What kind of money do you think we are going to be talking about?

Be good to pick him up and loan him back you to you. Especially if you come up.
Ive no idea-I suppose it depends on when we sell in relation to his contract -and when he decides he wants to move .
He’s just signed his first pro 3 year deal with us -I expect he will stay until the summer-re asses .( especially if we are anywhere near the top 6)
The longer he has on his contract as we know the more we would get and the more big clubs that are in for him a “bidding war “is likely .
I think someone will come in early with an offer to test our and his resolve -we seem to like deals that may have a reasonable initial fee then lots of add on ( games played -trophies -international caps for England ect )
I wouldn’t want less than 30 million ( think the young Leeds lad went for more ) plus add ons and that’s me trying not to be a greedy fan!?
However if you surveyed five of our fans you would go from 15 to 75 million ( that’s how fans operate total -guesswork !)
Bellingham is in a similar vein but is on a longer contract -played more games -two years older and has also come on a massively recently ( beefed up and just seems quicker ) we have the three in midfield 17 , 19 ( just ) and the captain at 24 ( Dan Neil ) -and sit second in the table.
Rigg is very similar in style for me as your great player Bryan Robson ( I know he has a long long way to go to be anywhere near him )but his style -eye for goal -aggressive nature and “ no fear “ is similar -which is as big a compliment as I can give the lad .
We thought he was one for the future when he became the yoingest player in our history at 15 and the youngest to ever score -but he’s maturing much quicker than we thought -hence the England games in amongst the Prem elite

Reactions: Fortitude
Huge club to play for and would enhance things like England opportunities playing for you -the exposure he would get
Also you are not far from the North East which again for a young lad may be a key factor ?-rather than abroad -we tend to be a funny bunch over here -very parochial
As I say only way we keep Rigg is if we go up and even then I think most are just enjoying watching a 17 year old perform to a very high standard . Long season in the Championship mind and winter to come ! We have 3 games in next 6 days ….
If he does leave most will understand wish him well and realise that’s where we are as a

Ive no idea-I suppose it depends on when we sell in relation to his contract -and when he decides he wants to move .
He’s just signed his first pro 3 year deal with us -I expect he will stay until the summer-re asses .( especially if we are anywhere near the top 6)
The longer he has on his contract as we know the more we would get and the more big clubs that are in for him a “bidding war “is likely .
I think someone will come in early with an offer to test our and his resolve -we seem to like deals that may have a reasonable initial fee then lots of add on ( games played -trophies -international caps for England ect )
I wouldn’t want less than 30 million ( think the young Leeds lad went for more ) plus add ons and that’s me trying not to be a greedy fan!?
However if you surveyed five of our fans you would go from 15 to 75 million ( that’s how fans operate total -guesswork !)
Bellingham is in a similar vein but is on a longer contract -played more games -two years older and has also come on a massively recently ( beefed up and just seems quicker ) we have the three in midfield 17 , 19 ( just ) and the captain at 24 ( Dan Neil ) -and sit second in the table.
Rigg is very similar in style for me as your great player Bryan Robson ( I know he has a long long way to go to be anywhere near him )but his style -eye for goal -aggressive nature and “ no fear “ is similar -which is as big a compliment as I can give the lad .
We thought he was one for the future when he became the yoingest player in our history at 15 and the youngest to ever score -but he’s maturing much quicker than we thought -hence the England games in amongst the Prem elite
Good comparison. What surprised me was how “on it” he seems to be. He does everything to a high level and with high technical ability m - dribbles, tackles, plays long, short, shoots etc. But what really stood out is how stuck in he gets. He looks like he really wants it, and with no fear. Really present in the key moments.

Although they’re very different, he sort of reminds me of Rooney in a sense. Hope he doesn’t have the same type of problems Rooney did :)

This all from a 10 min YouTube comp. of course!

Agree. He will be done before he's 30.
To be fair Safc are ok at managing young talent -however I get your point .
Think Rooney made his debut at 16 ?-not saying you want to go much younger but he has an odd sub appearance first -then a start -then this season ( 16) forced his way into starting line up each game and other more experienced players can’t get back in or have been loaned out .
Ironically it seems our Centre forward ( 19 years old) is now injured -which will cause us a headache at the weekend as we have little back up .
Anyway he’s integrated into a team that averages at 22-but is strong and I personally think he will be managed ok -we will see I suppose but someone did once say “ if you are good enough you are old enough “
Hes definitely good enough .
Be interesting to see if you do as talk sport suggest -try to get in early (to beat of the competition.?)