Chris Rigg | 16 year old midfield prodigy

Watched him the other day for England, didn't really stand out. Then again England were quite poor overall.

I thought he was very good. Perhaps didn’t stand out as you said and did nothing spectacular but he does all the basics so well. Every touch, every pass and every decision seems to be spot on. Very rare for a player of his age.

Let me correct myself.

There wasn't a change of ownership last summer but rather the new ownership took their shareholding to a 100% by buying out the remaining shares in the club. Kyril Louis-Dreyfus is the owner and and he became chairman in 2021 and the Sunderland Echo credit him for their up turn in fortunes.
It's great to see a historic club getting their stuff together and being ran diligently. I still argue that the results in academy aren't as immediate. Even if we take the period since he became chairman, I don't see how 2-3 years can drastically change the output of an academy, unless they also overhauled coaches, and with that also ways of working/training, etc.

Sometimes, there are just great talents that are well nurtured.

That's a fat League Two centre-half name if ever I saw one :lol:

It's great to see a historic club getting their stuff together and being ran diligently. I still argue that the results in academy aren't as immediate. Even if we take the period since he became chairman, I don't see how 2-3 years can drastically change the output of an academy, unless they also overhauled coaches, and with that also ways of working/training, etc.

Sometimes, there are just great talents that are well nurtured.
I agree.

Most of the time it's a case of people already at the club who require backing from a more hands on ownership which makes the difference. And since the arrival of their new owner they've been able to hang on to their talented academy players when previously their talent was getting poached by other clubs. The owner has also raised the level by investing throughout the club and the difference is being seen now compared to what was happening under the previous ownership. And this information was widely reported by the press/media who cover the club.

Why shouldn’t he play at the level if he’s capable? As he’s shown from the first match.

There are 3 main reasons that are well known.
Clubs will do this from time to time and their reasons are a mixture of ego based decisions or misguided ideas on development.

The first reason is that a 15 year old is a child being placed into a very adult environment. Its less than an ideal situation. He would be better served doing a year or 2 more among his own peer group before being moved into that situation

The second reason is development of technical attributes and development of skills. If he is absolutely miles above the other 15 year olds he plays with there is still huge value in allowing him tom continue to develop those things among other youth players. Technical abilities require a lot of repetition and time to become permanently embedded. Playing among his own peer group means those attributes get to continue to become permanent. Moving him into an adult game at age 15 means he will have less time to do something technical and that in turn slows the development because he is not allowed to fail and he misses repetition time. Skills are related to technical ability and being able to have the time and space while playing among youth players allows him to develop the ability to get his head up, choose the right technique for the right situation etc. These are well known things among youth coaching sytems

The third reason is that a 15 year old body is still undergoing major development changes, growth spurts etc, strength etc. If playing among adults the problem of long term stress injuries becomes a problem.

These super talented kids just need a year or 2 longer within youth leagues to give them a better chance of reaching their potential.
15 is too young.

There are 3 main reasons that are well known.
Clubs will do this from time to time and their reasons are a mixture of ego based decisions or misguided ideas on development.

The first reason is that a 15 year old is a child being placed into a very adult environment. Its less than an ideal situation. He would be better served doing a year or 2 more among his own peer group before being moved into that situation

The second reason is development of technical attributes and development of skills. If he is absolutely miles above the other 15 year olds he plays with there is still huge value in allowing him tom continue to develop those things among other youth players. Technical abilities require a lot of repetition and time to become permanently embedded. Playing among his own peer group means those attributes get to continue to become permanent. Moving him into an adult game at age 15 means he will have less time to do something technical and that in turn slows the development because he is not allowed to fail and he misses repetition time. Skills are related to technical ability and being able to have the time and space while playing among youth players allows him to develop the ability to get his head up, choose the right technique for the right situation etc. These are well known things among youth coaching sytems

The third reason is that a 15 year old body is still undergoing major development changes, growth spurts etc, strength etc. If playing among adults the problem of long term stress injuries becomes a problem.

These super talented kids just need a year or 2 longer within youth leagues to give them a better chance of reaching their potential.
15 is too young.

Do you think there is even a small chance that the managers, coaches and academy managers who make these decisions know more about the subject than you?

This happens a lot more around the world with 16-year old players. Where should the cut be in your opinion? Surely it depends on each individual? Some are ready at 15, some when they’re 22.

I trust Mowbray to make the right decisions with this kid. He seems to be very good with young players and aiding their development.

Last edited:
Do you think there is even a small chance that the managers, coaches and academy managers who make these decisions know more about the subject than you?

You havent addressed the things I brought up but went down that angle.
I havent claimed to know more than anyone, I expressed an opinion.

BTW do you think there is a small chance I have been involved in coaching seniors and youth level?

BTW do you think there is a small chance I have been involved in coaching seniors and youth level?
No, I automatically assume everyone on RedCafe is as much a clueless moron as I am.

What signs are there to be seen in Rigg or his performances to suggest his promotion has been handled wrong?

You gave some good points that definitely could apply to many young players on a general level. But you keep saying what’s best for him even though the relevant staff around him have obviously seen the situation differently.

If they thought they made a mistake, they would’ve moved him a level below the first team.

To me nothing suggests that his individual development plan has been put together wrong incorrectly, so it seems that they’ve chosen the right challenges to throw at him at right times.

To repeat the question I added later:

This happens a lot more around the world with 16-year old players. Where should the cut be in your opinion? Surely it depends on each individual? Some are ready at 15, some when they’re 22.

I trust Mowbray to make the right decisions with this kid. He seems to be very good with young players and aiding their development.

What signs are there to be seen in Rigg or his performances to suggest his promotion has been handled wrong?

You gave some good points that definitely could apply to many young players on a general level. But you keep saying what’s best for him even though the relevant staff around him have obviously seen the situation differently.

If they thought they made a mistake, they would’ve moved him a level below the first team.

To me nothing suggests that his individual development plan has been put together wrong incorrectly, so it seems that they’ve chosen the right challenges to throw at him at right times.

Every single one of us who has ever coached junior, youth or senior sides during our coaching careers believes that we have found someone special.
At age 15 we are rolling the dice.
The numbers of youth players who never make it to the top level are massive.
Every one of us as fans sees a new young player coming through and hope we are seeing the emergence of someone special.
I have no doubt Rigg is someone special and sure its fair of you to point out that their coaches and managers that are helping him will know more about him than me. No argument there.
However my own personal beliefe that is based on my involvement in coaching and managing and my involvement in coaching badges and player development courses gives me the opinion that 15 is just to young, too early for players to be placed into senior team envirnments for the reasons I outlined.
I hope this kid is the next Wayne Rooney, will be great if in 10 years time I look back on this thread and see someone else made me aware of him and his talent.
I just think 15 is too young based on my own experiences.

Every single one of us who has ever coached junior, youth or senior sides during our coaching careers believes that we have found someone special.
At age 15 we are rolling the dice.
The numbers of youth players who never make it to the top level are massive.
Every one of us as fans sees a new young player coming through and hope we are seeing the emergence of someone special.
I have no doubt Rigg is someone special and sure its fair of you to point out that their coaches and managers that are helping him will know more about him than me. No argument there.
However my own personal beliefe that is based on my involvement in coaching and managing and my involvement in coaching badges and player development courses gives me the opinion that 15 is just to young, too early for players to be placed into senior team envirnments for the reasons I outlined.
I hope this kid is the next Wayne Rooney, will be great if in 10 years time I look back on this thread and see someone else made me aware of him and his talent.
I just think 15 is too young based on my own experiences.

Fair enough. We’ll see how it goes in this particular instance.

Chris Rigg's on fire

We get Riggs as soon as Murtough left. Who would have thought?

Can see the vision for our midfield evolution with players like him and Mainoo. Fernandes is a contrast to this type of footballer, and we won’t be able to fully move into this era until we get to life after Bruno phase.

National teams are not good contexts to judge a player but he didn't really stand out in the U17 Euros a few months ago, especially compared to other top talents like Moore and Nwaneri. England probably had their two best games with him on the bench.

I wouldn't make too much of that but it gives me a bit of pause about the "Best young player in the Championship since Bellingham" hype going around some parts of social media.

National teams are not good contexts to judge a player but he didn't really stand out in the U17 Euros a few months ago, especially compared to other top talents like Moore and Nwaneri. England probably had their two best games with him on the bench.

I wouldn't make too much of that but it gives me a bit of pause about the "Best young player in the Championship since Bellingham" hype going around some parts of social media.

Isn't the hype based on what he is doing in the Championship... what have players who are not playing in the Championship got to do with it?

Isn't the hype based on what he is doing in the Championship... what have players who are not playing in the Championship got to do with it?

Sure. But the hype is being generated out of a relatively small sample so thinking about the broader context of the player's career so far, including his standing in the youth national teams, is important in considering whether he's truly likely to be a massive generational prospect akin to Bellingham or just another very good young player.

I wouldn't draw strong conclusions from anything to do with his national team career but its a reason to consider pumping the breaks a bit or viewing the hype about his play in the Championship a bit more circumspectly.