Chelsea 2024/25

I agree with you. I was willing to give this ownership a chance in 2022 and 2023 and I spent a lot of time trying to contextualise their actions, hoping I would start seeing the beginnings of whatever the feck they’re trying to accomplish. We’re going into our 3rd season and I’ve realised I just fundamentally don’t agree with their ‘plan’ for my club.

It's honestly a shame. I've always had a soft spot for Chelsea as my first memories of the club were in the late 90s when they were at the forefront of bringing in foreign players into the EPL. Even when they kicked on in the 00s and became successful they built well, even if the means we're questionable. Now Chelsea are corporate beyond recognition, it must be numbing for fans to follow.

So they wanted Omorodion but after that failed their next target just happened to also be an Atletico player? Completely different profiles of player from what I can see.

Is this anything other than Chelsea needing to give Atletico money for someone so they can afford Gallagher? It’s so fecking weird.

So they wanted Omorodion but after that failed their next target just happened to also be an Atletico player? Completely different profiles of player from what I can see.

Is this anything other than Chelsea needing to give Atletico money for someone so they can afford Gallagher? It’s so fecking weird.

It’s exactly that.

Are you for real? You seriously think Jackson is a decent striker?

Yeah he clearly is, you probably rate Hjolund and Zirkzee and he outscored both. Even if you want to take goals out his all round play was at a very good level.
His finishing was inconsistent but it was his first full season of mens football, he's going to be raw at certain aspects of his game.

Joao Felix is a wildly bizarre signing. Smacks of desperation to make to books work, and that Chelsea have gotten themselves into a situation where they have to make big money pointless signings so that they don't get into FFP trouble is a huge indictment on the management at that club. Imagine they spent all those billions on buying readymade players, they could winning titles which would have been significantly more lucrative for the owner than this buying young / selling young model that they've gone for.

Think they are cornered into that deal by Gallagher and Athletico.

Gallagher with 1 yr left and currently nobody else in for him atleast seriously.
So they are thinking instead of allowing him to leave for nothing lets get Felix instead.

We clearly want a certain profile of CF, Osimehn, Duran and Omorodion were/are the links.

My understanding is Chelsea needed Gallagher off the books this summer. He had rejected a new contract, and declined an offer from Villa. I mentioned in the Gallagher thread a month or so ago how Gallagher held all the leverage to either force Chelsea into giving him the contract he wants or a club he actually wants to play comes in for him and that's basically how it's played out.

So Chelsea were in a situation where they either sell him now, or watch him sign a contract with a club in January to leave for free next summer. Atleti were the only club that were offering a good fee that Gallagher was also happy to join, the only kicker is, Atleti are riding pretty close to the sun FFP wise, so to make the deal happen, they need to sell a player. If not Omorodion, then someone else.

If Gallagher had more than 12 months left on his deal, I don't think this Felix deal happens. Or maybe it does, who knows with Clearlake. But the bottom line to avoid losing Gallagher for free, a player the club previously valued at £50m, they had to commit to buying a player from Aleti.

There is that granted but having a million players on the books and missing out on a 50-60m a season strikes me as massively odd given the size of Chelsea.

It is odd, but it’s also the very reason academy players are being forced out. It’s been discussed extensively in various threads, including this one. When the Gallagher sale goes through, it would make it around £120m in sales from just academy kids.

I mean, you could check out Chelsea's player sales and see for yourself, if you wanted to.
Okay I’ve checked the sales - you have a net spend of 640m over the last 3 seasons. That doesn’t include agent fees - and considering you’ve signed 38 players in that time I reckon they’ll be pretty high. You also posted losses of 90m last year, 124m the year before and 156m the year before that - so how you’re balancing the books probably is quite a valid question tbh.

Okay I’ve checked the sales - you have a net spend of 640m over the last 3 seasons. That doesn’t include agent fees - and considering you’ve signed 38 players in that time I reckon they’ll be pretty high. You also posted losses of 90m last year, 124m the year before and 156m the year before that - so how you’re balancing the books probably is quite a valid question tbh.

The question "how are they balancing the books" is like asking "how often do Arsenal clean their champions league trophy".

The books are not balanced.

By selling hotels to themselves. They would have lost £166.4m in the last financial year (and failed to comply with PSR) without the hotel sales.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...tel-deals-raise-questions-over-psr-compliance

Such a weird signing. Chelsea now have 3 players in a similar mold, Felix, Palmer and Nkunku, all are best when given positional freedom and license to operate freely in and around the box. Their best position being behind a main striker.

Will it be all 3 of them starting behind Jackson, with Mudryk, Neto and Madueke deputizing? 2 of Enzo, Lavia, Caicedo and Dewsbery-Hall behind them?

Seems like a good Fifa lineup but not sure how well it will work in real life.

Also,

Why have they foregone the sponsorship on the front of their shirts again?
They don't want to sign up for a long-term deal currently because they are getting lower offers in the absence of CL football. Instead they are searching again for a 1 year deal at a high rate with the hope to qualify for next year and find a long-term agreement.

They don't want to sign up for a long-term deal currently because they are getting lower offers in the absence of CL football. Instead they are searching again for a 1 year deal at a high rate with the hope to qualify for next year and find a long-term agreement.
But they won't qualify for the champions league though. Is it time to suck it up and just stick Bovril on the front?

My understanding is Chelsea needed Gallagher off the books this summer. He had rejected a new contract, and declined an offer from Villa. I mentioned in the Gallagher thread a month or so ago how Gallagher held all the leverage to either force Chelsea into giving him the contract he wants or a club he actually wants to play comes in for him and that's basically how it's played out.

So Chelsea were in a situation where they either sell him now, or watch him sign a contract with a club in January to leave for free next summer. Atleti were the only club that were offering a good fee that Gallagher was also happy to join, the only kicker is, Atleti are riding pretty close to the sun FFP wise, so to make the deal happen, they need to sell a player. If not Omorodion, then someone else.

If Gallagher had more than 12 months left on his deal, I don't think this Felix deal happens. Or maybe it does, who knows with Clearlake. But the bottom line to avoid losing Gallagher for free, a player the club previously valued at £50m, they had to commit to buying a player from Aleti.
Just an awful situation to be in.

Isn't that where amortisation comes in? The spend can be spread out over the length of the 7-8 year contracts (now limited to 5 years) while the sales are immediately registered on the books, so while the club have sailed close to the wind, the sales, especially the pure profit from academy players, have helped us comply with the rules each year. Could be wrong, but that has always been my understanding of the situation.

Not to forget they pissed off Sterling in the process. He'll now leave for free (can't see anyone paying money to take him right now), writing off 30m of amortization which will wipe out the profit on sale of Gallagher, which was the whole objective of selling Gallagher in the first place. Such an efficiently run club!

But they won't qualify for the champions league though. Is it time to suck it up and just stick Bovril on the front?
Probably will be run back with Infinite Athlete again if I had to wager?
Not to forget they pissed off Sterling in the process. He'll now leave for free (can't see anyone paying money to take him right now), writing off 30m of amortization which will wipe out the profit on sale of Gallagher, which was the whole objective of selling Gallagher in the first place. Such an efficiently run club!
True - though if he leaves for free presumably he'll have agreed to cancel his deal somehow? So that 30m becomes 15m once his wages are off the books.

That also means that if someone can convince him to sign a contract Chelsea would likely only look for a fee in the region of 15m to break even.

Tough to see him walking away from that much though as he'd get nowhere near the same wherever he goes save Saudi Arabia.

Have supporters been told what the plan is when there are no more academy players to sell and you still have a squad of players who aren't delivering on 7 year contracts? Or are they just expected to assume it will all work out?

Probably will be run back with Infinite Athlete again if I had to wager?

True - though if he leaves for free presumably he'll have agreed to cancel his deal somehow? So that 30m becomes 15m once his wages are off the books.

That also means that if someone can convince him to sign a contract Chelsea would likely only look for a fee in the region of 15m to break even.

Tough to see him walking away from that much though as he'd get nowhere near the same wherever he goes save Saudi Arabia.

Wages:
Sterling + Gallagher = 375-400k
Neto + Felix = at least 300-350k (can't see Felix on less than 200k)

It won't save you much in wages, right?

Amortization:
Sell Gallagher for 30m: +30m
Buy Neto for ~55m: -10m in amortization/year
Buy Felix for 36m: -7m in amortization/year
Sell Sterling for 0m: -30m of amortization write off

Overall, you're going to be -17m down this year by these series of weird transactions.

Wages:

Amortization:

Overall, you're going to be -17m down this year by these series of weird transactions.
It's been consistently reported that Felix took a huge pay cut to fit into Chelsea's wage structure - he was desperate to get out of Atletico Madrid.

I always hate reported wages in per week; makes it difficult to square with amortisation figures:

OUT (GBP):
Wages: Sterling 15m per year, Gallagher 5m per year = 20m
Fees: Gallagher 35m (42m euros)

Total out: 55m

IN (GBP):
Neto - 55m = 11m amortisation / year
Felix - 42m = 8.4m amortisation / year
Wages: Apparently both Neto and Felix are on Gallagher-level wages - so 10m per year between them
Sterling write off = 30m

Total in: 59.4m

Wages:

Amortization:

They need all the help they can get. Chelsea spent £747.8m on players in the 2022-23 financial year and a further £454.3m on players in the period through to April 2024. Their wage bill in 2022-23 was £404m (up from £340.2m the previous year). Player amortisation was running at £205m per year (up from £162.5m) on a total revenue of only £512.5m.

Have supporters been told what the plan is when there are no more academy players to sell and you still have a squad of players who aren't delivering on 7 year contracts? Or are they just expected to assume it will all work out?

Yep. Buy stuff, get good and win shit man, then make more $$$ to buy stuff.

We will be in top 4 at the end of the season. Onwards and upwards. Played well against city. Have good rhythm. No complaints for me about the performance. Defense will improve and we will be alright.