Champions League 24/25 | Matchday 2: October 1-2

Can someone please explain the format?

We get a group table and then the top 16 in the table play in the knock-outs 1 v 16 and so on?

We get a group table and then the top 16 in the table play in the knock-outs 1 v 16 and so on?

Top 8 qualify and 9 to 24 play a play-off round...at least that's how it is in football manager.

almost

The top eight ranked teams will receive a bye to the round of 16. The teams ranked from 9th to 24th will contest the knockout phase play-offs, with the teams ranked from 9th to 16th seeded for the draw. Teams ranked from 25th to 36th are eliminated from all competitions, with no access to the 2024–25 UEFA Europa League. (wiki)

Leipzig and PSG bad draw imho, pretty good for Bayern..
Good draw for Atletico also

Unpopular opinion but I really like the new format. Always liked it in football manager too, of course some teams within a pot will be harder or easier but can only do so much there. I like everyone being in one large group. Plenty of good looking fixtures to come here, and it gives smaller teams a chance at picking up some points to squeeze in.

Unpopular opinion but I really like the new format. Always liked it in football manager too, of course some teams within a pot will be harder or easier but can only do so much there. I like everyone being in one large group. Plenty of good looking fixtures to come here, and it gives smaller teams a chance at picking up some points to squeeze in.
It looks good, just wish they would show the fixtures to us when it is all done, rather than like this.

I'll say it quietly but..

I think this looks kinda great.
I think so too, I love the idea. Nice to shake up the old boring format and lots of matchups between top teams. Maybe they shouldn't have increased the number of matches but the variety of matches and single league table would be exciting.

I like the new format too. The group stages were very boring most of the time.

So will it just be one big league table between now and December?

I'll say it quietly but..

I think this looks kinda great.

I would've preferred a format where only the next games are known, and only teams with the same record could play each other, but with the possibility of draws that's obviously impossible, and there would have to be 8 draws as well :lol:

But yeah, I think this will be refreshing after the group stage format, it was very stale by the end

It's in the OP

Top 8 qualify and 9 to 24 play a play-off round...at least that's how it is in football manager.

almost

The top eight ranked teams will receive a bye to the round of 16. The teams ranked from 9th to 24th will contest the knockout phase play-offs, with the teams ranked from 9th to 16th seeded for the draw. Teams ranked from 25th to 36th are eliminated from all competitions, with no access to the 2024–25 UEFA Europa League. (wiki)
Cheers, guys.

Not a bad draw for Arsenal. Biggest game against PSG is at home and then away to Inter

I would've preferred a format where only the next games are known, and only teams with the same record could play each other, but with the possibility of draws that's obviously impossible, and there would have to be 8 draws as well :lol:

But yeah, I think this will be refreshing after the group stage format, it was very stale by the end
Yeah match going fans and those in charge of logistics would absolutely love that.

Kinda weird that Dortmund, Atalanta and Brest all have to play both Real and Barcelona. Those country restrictions might force certain match-ups.