Television Cancel Joe Lycett

To be fair, aside from Lee Mack who else is a genuinely funny and witty comedian?

Yes Lee Mack is famously the only comedian with the qualities “funny” and “witty”. The rest haven’t thought to add those strings to their bow.

Joe Lycett should be cancelled. Purely for the fact that he is the least funny person in the history of comedy.
He has built a career upon being a camp ‘comedian’ despite the fact that he is about as funny as somebody being sick in your mouth.
This has nothing to do with him ‘coming out’ as a straight man who has just had a child.

It may well be that this is one of his latest in a long line of ‘pranks’ to ‘shock’ the nation.
To me, he has used various communities to further his ‘career’ when he is in fact, simply not funny whatsoever.

What do you find funny about him?

"This has nothing to do with him ‘coming out’ as a straight man who has just had a child."

Sounds like it has something to do with that. Why the sudden urge to bring it up now otherwise? He's been around for a while.

He can be whatever he wants to be. He can sleep with whoever he pleases.
I don’t deny him anything other than being entertaining or funny.

You can’t say he’s not funny. You can say that you don’t find him funny.

He’s a good writer and stand up with bomb proof politics and seems to advocate for those that have less, or nothing.

I don’t like his stand up all that much but he’s great on panel and I love most of his social bits that shine a light on how shit everything is.

He's clearly got an audience and most of them seem to be good people.

I think Joe Lycett is funny. Makes me laugh anyway. I’ve only ever found him funny on podcasts though. I don’t think any British comedian is ever funny other than it that context. All the televised stuff is shite. Yes, this includes Taskmaster. As well as any standup they do.

James Acaster another good example. Funny as feck on his podcast but my God, his standup…

Tom Allen is the least funny comedian out there

“I’m a gay man”
Audience: hahahahahaha omg you’re killing me. I’m laughing to prove I’m not homophobic

I think Joe Lycett is funny. Makes me laugh anyway. I’ve only ever found him funny on podcasts though. I don’t think any British comedian is ever funny other than it that context. All the televised stuff is shite. Yes, this includes Taskmaster. As well as any standup they do.

James Acaster another good example. Funny as feck on his podcast but my God, his standup…
Some of Acaster’s standup is absolutely hilarious. That’s all I ask for from a standup comedian. Every single stand up comedian has some flat or new context that just doesn’t work but that’s fine.

Tom Allen is the least funny comedian out there

“I’m a gay man”
Audience: hahahahahaha omg you’re killing me. I’m laughing to prove I’m not homophobic
Rosie Jones says hello.

Some of Acaster’s standup is absolutely hilarious. That’s all I ask for from a standup comedian. Every single stand up comedian has some flat or new context that just doesn’t work but that’s fine.

It’s a matter of taste. Doesn’t do it for me at all. I can see that it’s clever and carefully thought through. I just don’t find it funny in the slightest. Which is weird because I like the guy and he makes he laugh a lot when he’s not doing a rehearsed bit.

The special I watched was such a crushing disappointment. Made my other half sit down to watch this hilarious guy I’d discovered on a podcast and has a reputation as being the most talented British comedian of his generation. Then he started talking.

He was shite on Travel Man. Though following Richard Ayoade was a tough ask.

You can’t say he’s not funny. You can say that you don’t find him funny.

He’s a good writer and stand up with bomb proof politics and seems to advocate for those that have less, or nothing.

I don’t like his stand up all that much but he’s great on panel and I love most of his social bits that shine a light on how shit everything is.

He's clearly got an audience and most of them seem to be good people.
If one can’t say that someone is or isn’t funny because technically they’re only stating their personal opinion, what’s the point of that phrase? There’s no objective measurement of someone’s sense of humour. Kevin Hart, Ricky Gervais, James Corden and Jimmy Carr also have their audience… if he says that Lycett isn’t funny he says that he doesn’t find him funny, otherwise we’d have to specify after everything we say “in my opinion”/“I think/believe” etc.

And I’m not trying to say that Lycett isn’t funny personally, he doesn’t make me laugh often but he’s alright. I just find your argument weird — especially about the moral side of his comedy which doesn’t make him any more/less funnier than he is. It probably makes him a good person but that wasn’t the question?

Can’t believe I’ve been slagging off British comedians without a shout out to Bob Mortimer. Funnier than the rest of them put together.
But then again, contradicting my own argument from the previous post, Mortimer is objectively the funniest man alive.

But then again, contradicting my own argument from the previous post, Mortimer is objectively the funniest man alive.

He has funny bones. I do think there are a very select few comedians who have a baked in funniness that comes out in every context. I would put Bill Burr in the same category. David O’ Doherty is our Irish equivalent.

Then you have a bunch of quick witted, smart people who create acts that might or might not make people laugh. And the more elaborate the scenarios they create the less naturally funny they seem (you might find it clever, or interesting, but not properly funny)

Panel shows are designed to make these quick witted people shine but they’re almost always shite. Apparently the atmosphere is very dog eat dog, with everyone trying to outdo each other. Which sucks any naturally relaxed and funny vibes out of the shows. With Bob Mortimer the honourable exception, the rare occasion he participates.

EDIT: Just realised I’ve only named comedians from my generation! Just to avoid the obvious accusations I recently discovered Sam Campbell and he might belong to that “funny bones” tier as well. He’s a very very funny man.

Do you have no understanding at all about what bisexuality or pansexuality mean?
It would very much seem not. Or yes and they find it upsetting.

Wait until he finds out about gay people having kids.

I think it depends which Acaster stand up you've seen.

I think his four (?) Netflix specials were some of the funniest things I've ever seen, but then his 'Cold Lasagna Hate Myself' tour was average, and his latest tour 'Hecklers Welcome' was really disappointing. He does seem pretty consistently funny on podcasts and panel shows.

I think it depends which Acaster stand up you've seen.

I think his four (?) Netflix specials were some of the funniest things I've ever seen, but then his 'Cold Lasagna Hate Myself' tour was average, and his latest tour 'Hecklers Welcome' was really disappointing. He does seem pretty consistently funny on podcasts and panel shows.

The only standup of his I watched was a Netflix special. Can’t remember which one. It started with a long bit about bananas? Didn’t work for me at all. I actually had to turn it off. Watching comedy which doesn’t land is so grim.

I find him funny whenever I see him on panel shows or when he appeared on taskmaster, but I don't think he shines as a standup. Which goes for a lot of UK comedians in my opinion.