Can there really be someone better than Messi in modern football?

Libano

Sorry to bump this old thread but I stumbled across it and thought it was an interesting topic.

In answer to the OP, I think there is always room for improvement. Messi is clearly absolutely awesome, but he isnt perfect. One day someone will come along who will be better. Someone with equal skill but more power or some other improvement. Its the nature of sport, someone sets the bar higher than anyone ever thought possible and then a new generation come through aspiring to that level and eventually someone breaches it. Its hard to imagine but it will happen eventually. It might take a while though. Conceivably, by the time it happens this current period will not be called "modern" football anymore, it might be called "Early 21st Century" football. But actually I think itll happen sooner than that.
so you are basically describing an injury-free Ronaldo (the brazilian one). and yes, eventually even messi will be surpassed. like any other football player before him.

ryan cook

Messi is the best player i have ever seen but i think eventually another player will come along and be considered better or considered on his level but that could be along time away. Pele and Maradona were considered on another level than any other footballer in history for 20 or 30 years and now Messi is on that level.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Anyway, it's really dependant on what you watch the sport for. I watch it for entertainment and as such my favourite players maybe less consistent but can hardly be copied in their technique.
hes banned now but this made me laugh. What a contradictory thing to say considering he backed LVG so much

re Messi, he's probably the best footballer in the world and consistent as hell for goalscoring. But watching him? Meh. take it or leave it.

The one player who I consistently think of as the best player in my lifetime was Brazilian Ronaldo. You just thought that something exciting was going to happen every time he got the ball

Mr Smith

hes banned now but this made me laugh. What a contradictory thing to say considering he backed LVG so much

re Messi, he's probably the best footballer in the world and consistent as hell for goalscoring. But watching him? Meh. take it or leave it.

The one player who I consistently think of as the best player in my lifetime was Brazilian Ronaldo. You just thought that something exciting was going to happen every time he got the ball
The Brazilian Ronaldo is the only player I've seen with the potential to be as good as Messi. In his early seasons with Barcelona and Inter I think he shows the same kind of devastating, transcendental ability that you normally associate with Messi. Obviously he didn't quite kick on for a variety of reasons, but for a moment there was a glimpse of unparalleled greatness.

sammyvine

Sorry to bump this old thread but I stumbled across it and thought it was an interesting topic.

In answer to the OP, I think there is always room for improvement. Messi is clearly absolutely awesome, but he isnt perfect. One day someone will come along who will be better. Someone with equal skill but more power or some other improvement. Its the nature of sport, someone sets the bar higher than anyone ever thought possible and then a new generation come through aspiring to that level and eventually someone breaches it. Its hard to imagine but it will happen eventually. It might take a while though. Conceivably, by the time it happens this current period will not be called "modern" football anymore, it might be called "Early 21st Century" football. But actually I think itll happen sooner than that.
I disagree
Players like Messi don't come about often
He almost as complete as can be

AlwaysRed66

Well to answer the OP. I feel Ronaldo is a better player than him. As well as Spain, he has also proved himself in the physical arena of the premiership. Messi has also done little when playing for Argentina. Unlike Maradona who managed to win the World Cup in 86, with an average Argentinian team, solely on his back.

sammyvine

Well to answer the OP. I feel Ronaldo is a better player than him. As well as Spain, he has also proved himself in the physical arena of the premiership. Messi has also done little when playing for Argentina. Unlike Maradona who managed to win the World Cup in 86, with an average Argentinian team, solely on his back.
La liga is physical

golden_blunder

Staff
The Brazilian Ronaldo is the only player I've seen with the potential to be as good as Messi. In his early seasons with Barcelona and Inter I think he shows the same kind of devastating, transcendental ability that you normally associate with Messi. Obviously he didn't quite kick on for a variety of reasons, but for a moment there was a glimpse of unparalleled greatness.
Messi is world class without a doubt but he doesn't have me on the edge of my seat like the original Ronaldo

sammyvine

Messi is world class without a doubt but he doesn't have me on the edge of my seat like the original Ronaldo
Then I don't think you have watched Messi play before or your bias.
I can't believe a young Messi didn't have you on your edge of your seat. He is one of the most unique players because of his insane dribbling skills. It was something like I had never seen, him going past players at ease.
Most players and managers say that as well. Didn't Wenger say he is like a 'PlayStation footballer'.
How can you find that boring?

golden_blunder

Staff
Then I don't think you have watched Messi play before or your bias.
I can't believe a young Messi didn't have you on your edge of your seat. He is one of the most unique players because of his insane dribbling skills. It was something like I had never seen, him going past players at ease.
Most players and managers say that as well. Didn't Wenger say he is like a 'PlayStation footballer'.
How can you find that boring?
he's a chicken and beans footballer now, the epitome of consistent clinical efficiency. Maybe I've become blasé to his skills or maybe I have a romantic memory but Ronaldo was something else in his inter and barca days

Womp

idiot
His performance against us in the 2011 final was unbelievable, made Vidic and Rio look like pub players. The greatest ever, he's just so good at everything and so proficient. It would be hard to imagine someone ever being better, he makes the sport look easy at times, but it's not impossible.

Fenomeno9

There were players in the 86 team that wasn't scrubs like Batista, Ruggeri, Valdano, Burruchaga. All quality players.

Womp

idiot
There were players in the 86 team that wasn't scrubs like Batista, Ruggeri, Valdano, Burruchaga. All quality players.
Wouldn't matter, Messi could win the World Cup and people would argue that Maradona did it better, it won't ever stop.

Fenomeno9

Wouldn't matter, Messi could win the World Cup and people would argue that Maradona did it better, it won't ever stop.
Maradona elevated the team and they certainly don't win it without him but it was a myth he won it singlehanded with an average team. He had some decent talent around him. Cuciuffo was a solid defender for Boca Junior, Valdano was runner up for pichichi twice.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Wow.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Its a simple "yes".
1) The training scouting and talent developing levels are miles ahead. Im sure there are many 'messi' around in yugoslovakia working in their 60s in a metal factory, without even knowing what they could have become.
2) Injury preventions and medical recovery rates consistently higher for modern
athletes now.. they able stay longer in the game now and learn more. Imagine the brazilian ronaldo with intact ligaments.
3) Lighter boots, better grass, aerodynamically adjusted ball and don't forget, tightly controlled diet and exercise prescriptions.
4) Someone with similiar set of skills only has be a bit better in the air comparatively to be a better 'messi'.

Among few other things. Im lazy

mancan92

I 100% appreciate that Messi is one of the best ever but has there ever been a player who has had to go through soo little trials and tribulations. I mean since he came into football he has been playing for the most dominant and stable club in world football with the absolute best players in the world and some of the best ever. He has never moved clubs, had to adjust to different tactics, Had to play with players below a world class level, had to play in a different country away from his family etc etc. When you compare that to even Pep who has had a very sheltered management life (best players, teams etc) has had far more difficult circumstances than Messi. Not saying he wouldn't have also done as well as he has now but he has probably had the most comfortable life out of any footballer in the world.

Adebesi

I 100% appreciate that Messi is one of the best ever but has there ever been a player who has had to go through soo little trials and tribulations. I mean since he came into football he has been playing for the most dominant and stable club in world football with the absolute best players in the world and some of the best ever. He has never moved clubs, had to adjust to different tactics, Had to play with players below a world class level, had to play in a different country away from his family etc etc. Not saying he wouldn't have also done as well as he has now but he has probably had the most comfortable life out of any footballer in the world.
I see where you are coming from but I think you underestimate what he went through as a kid to become the star he is today.

But yes, since he "made it" it has been relatively plain sailing for him.

mancan92

I see where you are coming from but I think you underestimate what he went through as a kid to become the star he is today.

But yes, since he "made it" it has been relatively plain sailing for him.
I 100% agree that he must have gone through alot as a kid (as did most footballers to be fair) my only point is I don't think we'll see any player ever with as much of a sheltered lifestyle.
He just hasn't had to go through any real challenge in club football.

Adebesi

I 100% agree that he must have gone through alot as a kid (as did most footballers to be fair) my only point is I don't think we'll see any player ever with as much of a sheltered lifestyle.
No but I think he went through more than most footballers with this growth hormone deficiency thing. He had to have injections every day when he was 10 years old. His family couldnt afford it so his dad had to go cap in hand begging Argentinian football clubs to pay for it. This is more than what your average kid has to go through.

sammyvine

Why would you want that?
What would mean going though challenges to you?

dolfen_essence

Eventually yes! every generation will have a superstar born, increased knowledge in training, nutrients, medicine etc in the future will only make the chances of more 'super footballers' more likely.. they will all have the past superstars to watch & learn from too

Adebesi

@mancan92 Ive just been reading this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...struggling-youngster-to-world-super-star.html to verify this whole growth hormone thing and his ordeals as a kid and it is quite extreme the shit he went through to make it at Barca, to be fair. He had to make really difficult decisions and put his family through a hell of a lot to make it. If you believed in karma youd probably say he paid his dues by the time he was 18 and deserved a relatively easy ride from there on in.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I still don't see Messi as a better player than Pele, from what I've seen of him, so yeah. I haven't seen enough of his club performances though.
There would someone around that level again - and I know that it's a lazy criticism, but maybe this someone will perform better on an international stage? Messi's Golden Ball in 2014 World Cup was cringeworthy.

Dreadnought

Messi isn't half the player when he plays for Argentina. That tells you something, doesn't it?

mancan92

@mancan92 Ive just been reading this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...struggling-youngster-to-world-super-star.html to verify this whole growth hormone thing and his ordeals as a kid and it is quite extreme the shit he went through to make it at Barca, to be fair. He had to make really difficult decisions and put his family through a hell of a lot to make it. If you believed in karma youd probably say he paid his dues by the time he was 18 and deserved a relatively easy ride from there on in.
True he did go through alot and I appreciate that. But I don't think that has a bearing how much of an easy ride he had in football. And as I said he always had his family around which obviously would have been a big deal and probably the reason why he was able to focus on his football regardless of the physical issues.

mancan92

Why would you want that?
What would mean going though challenges to you?
As I said in my post above.

He has never played with any a different club side, played with any different tactics, played with anything but world class players, played in a different country, played away from his family, had to play with players only of a decent but not world class level, had to experience an unstable club structure etc etc. These are the normal things that 99% of footballers experience and can cause issues to form, emotional well being, doubt in ability, lost of confidence, luls in team morale, home sickness etc etc. Again I'm not saying he wouldn't of continued to perform all I'm saying is that its hard for there ever to be a player as good as messi because it's nearly impossible for another player to play is such perfect footballing conditions with little to no outside influences.

Adebesi

As I said in my post above.

He has never played with any a different club side, played with any different tactics, played with anything but world class players, played in a different country, played away from his family, had to play with players only of a decent but not world class level, had to experience an unstable club structure etc etc. These are the normal things that 99% of footballers experience and can cause issues to form, emotional well being, doubt in ability, lost of confidence, luls in team morale, home sickness etc etc. Again I'm not saying he wouldn't of continued to perform all I'm saying is that its hard for there ever to be a player as good as messi because it's nearly impossible for another player to play is such perfect footballing conditions with little to no outside influences.
Sorry to labour my point but he has coped without his family, most of them went back to Argentina, only his dad stayed. And he did move to a different country, just he did it as a kid (when it would be even harder, in a way.)

Yes, it would be different doing it now, with all the pressure of his reputation. But I honestly still think you're glossing over a large amount of adversity he overcame as a kid.

I'll stop repeating this now.

Culero

Messi isn't half the player when he plays for Argentina. That tells you something, doesn't it?
Ohh come on half the player? Messi is on course to become their all-time best goalscorer, he's played well for Argentina for quite a few years now. Even with such a stacked squad (in terms of attack) they look completely different with him in the side.

Dreadnought

Ohh come on half the player? Messi is on course to become their all-time best goalscorer, he's played well for Argentina for quite a few years now. Even with such a stacked squad (in terms of attack) they look completely different with him in the side.
I don't think he played 'well' at the WC in most games or at recent Copa Americas. He was just another player. An excellent player, but not nearly as effective or difference-maker as usually. He is phenomenal for Barcelona, excluding 2016, so even to say he played well for A. still means he is not nearly as effective or majestic as for Barcelona.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
The premise of this question is wrong. Zidane was the best modern footballer. Messi and Ronaldo ushered football into a post-modern era.